My completely uninformed opinion on the Bills' philosophy this pre

eball

Tell you what...if we're worried, can you imagine Jets fans tonight? Ugly.

I just got done browsing theganggreen.com and it is VERY ugly over there. It was a pretty refreshing trip actually considering that I thought it was bad on here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this answer! The dolphins and jets also went 11-5 and the dolphins held the tie breaker over both teams.

As much as I would like to whole heartily agree, there is always that shadow of a doubt that it could be more of the same. I really do think they are going "Vanilla" as many of you have said. The defense hasn't shown anything that really looks like a blitz package and the offense has been going through the motions at best.

It doesn't make sense to make expectations off of preseason. At the end of the day it's just practice. Fitz will light it up like he did against the Patriots* and Raiders.

A lot of cavalier attitudes about a team with new key components that hasn't quite gelled yet.

If the 3rd PS game is the dress rehearsal, should we not be looking for more cohesion and all out play from all involved?

I don't disagree. Given this is only 2nd pre-season game is the main reason I'm not so concerned. The coaching staff is not game-planning yet and is still evaluating individual talent at this stage. Now, if things are still not cleaned up a little in the final two scrimmages, then I may start to get a little concerned. They absolutely do need to play better and I think they will.

Edited by ChasBB

selective memory

the Bills started the season playing like crap and fell behind both Oakland and NE by multiple TDs

sure they came back - but those early games point to the fact the bills started out the regular season, just like they played in the pre-season -

like crap - unprepared, unmotivated, uninspired

Chan is out of excuses - no playoffs and he should be canned

Bills started the season playing like crap??? Don't know what to say..............

Edited by PeteBills4ever

They have more reasons to be confident, with a recent history of success. Just like Green Bay fans probably aren't worried.

So let me see if I follow...

Recent success equals preseason doesn't matter.

Teams without recent success equals preseason matters but only in terms of if they lose. Because if they win, it doesn't prove anything because it's the preseason.

Teams without recent success equals preseason matters but only in terms of if they lose. Because if they win, it doesn't prove anything because it's the preseason.

My views:

Wins and losses matter not in preseason. 1st team performance can be important, depending on the team. I think it's more important for upcoming and/or recently bad teams to do more in preseason because their goal is to get significantly better. I think if your team is already "established" as good, it's not as big of a deal.

That all being said, I'm not jumping off the ship because our first team has looked pretty mediocre/bad so far. But I am a bit worried, and I think it's not exactly crazy to be. We're *expected* by many/most to make/push for the playoffs this year, yet we really aren't showing that ability this year. We have no recent history of success, so we can't exactly assume success based on that, and we aren't successful currently. On paper, we should be, and paper isn't enough for me. I want to see something, and I haven't seen much.

I know this opinion usually gets turned into "OMG HES A TERRIBLE BILLS FAN AND IS SUICIDAL", but that's not at all true. I just want to see a little bit of progress going into the start of the season. And right now I'm seeing a lot of stuff that got us in trouble last year. Hopefully we show progress against Pittsburgh, and more importantly, hopefully we bring it all together for opening day.

You've got it.

I don't think I'm one of the "chicken little" crowd but I do see things that bother me. I'm concerned if we don't get Wood and Pears back and keep them healthy, our OL is in rough shape.

The offense doesn't bother me though. On good teams, the offense can go 3 and out the first couple series while they figure out the chess game against the opponents D.

What really bothers me is the porousity of the D. They are giving up big plays like it's Black Friday at Neiman-Marcus and sieving the run, not stopping it. I agree with the observation that the starters on the line aren't giving it 100% but that bothers me too - if you take off plays now, are you really gonna give it 100% every play during the season? Bad habit! People expressed concern about our LB and I didn't think it was so dire - the problem is, we have 2 good MLB playing out of position at SLB and WLB and a young MLB who doesn't seem to be figuring it out fast enough. The D is a giant question mark IMO if they've improved enough.

You've got it.

I don't think I'm one of the "chicken little" crowd but I do see things that bother me. I'm concerned if we don't get Wood and Pears back and keep them healthy, our OL is in rough shape.

The offense doesn't bother me though. On good teams, the offense can go 3 and out the first couple series while they figure out the chess game against the opponents D.

What really bothers me is the porousity of the D. They are giving up big plays like it's Black Friday at Neiman-Marcus and sieving the run, not stopping it. I agree with the observation that the starters on the line aren't giving it 100% but that bothers me too - if you take off plays now, are you really gonna give it 100% every play during the season? Bad habit! People expressed concern about our LB and I didn't think it was so dire - the problem is, we have 2 good MLB playing out of position at SLB and WLB and a young MLB who doesn't seem to be figuring it out fast enough. The D is a giant question mark IMO if they've improved enough.

But we had a great offseason and nobody is hurt.

I have watched both games and as much as I want to panic I have to remember it is a different game this year. The CBA has changed the way teams have to do things and each team has their own agenda on what is important to them. The Bills are no exception. As many have said over the past months, Gaily has been quite open and honest in his evaluations and comments. Read into it what you want but I hear him evaluating individual talent and certain "packages" in the first two games. That's it. Listen to his comments again.

As far as the "locks" not playing 100%, that's a B.S. statement. I'm sure Chan has made it clear in his own way, there are no "locks". Play poorly, you're going to hear it. And yes, from experience, it's when you let off that you get hurt.

Until he says/does something to make me think otherwise, I'll say Gailey knows what he is doing and pre-season is just that; PRE-season.

Do you mean now or after the real games begin, Hope? Add also, a good offense that is settling into good execution form in August should be able to execute its plays, like a short passing game, and move the ball down the field in a pre-season game. Understandably, a blown assignment or three or a play not made can derail such a drive.

...is that Gailey & Co. have one, and only one, goal in mind -- open the season healthy...

Discuss.

After watching sports center this morning and seeing Brandon Jacobs and Brian Orakpo writhing around on the ground and getting hauled off their respective fields yesterday, I'm beginning to think about subscribing to eball's newsletter.

My completely uninformed opinion on the Bills' philosophy this preseason is that Gailey & Co. have one, and only one, goal in mind -- open the season healthy. They aren't worried about gameplans and schemes and the 53-man roster is essentially set. There are a couple of position battles but all are for backup spots (QB, WR, LB ), so they're letting those guys play to sort it out. As I'm watching the game, I see the rookies and "desperate" players going balls to the wall, while the vets are running at 75% speed.

This is the third year in the offense for Fitz so they don't have a learning curve. Wannstedt's defensive schemes aren't going to be complicated, and they have a lot of veterans out there.

I think Gailey has looked at what injuries have done to the roster, particularly last season, and he's bound and determined to start the year with a full tank of gas.

These games really are glorified scrimmages for the Bills; an opportunity to let the guys hit somebody in a different uniform and get into "football shape" for the only thing that matters -- September 9.

And note -- I'm not just writing this because the Bills are 0-2 and have looked spotty. I see a lot of good things. Fitz was on target last night and we were seeing Wood and Pears finally take some snaps. FredEx is FredEx. Donald Jones showed some real giddyup on that TD, and what can you say about Graham -- the bomb from Vince is exactly what they want from this kid, and he is definitely not intimidated out there. The DT tandem of Williams/Dareus got two sacks on the first drive with nothing more than a bull rush up the gut.

Discuss.

While reading your very astute and not-at-all-completely-uninformed analysis, eball, I was reminded of the Bills' 1990 season when they went 0-4 in the preseason - then went on to a 13-3 regular season, and four consecutive AFC Championships.

Chan Gailey knows, as Marv knew, that preseason W-L record is meaningless.

And to that, I will add just one more word...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

After watching sports center this morning and seeing Brandon Jacobs and Brian Orakpo writhing around on the ground and getting hauled off their respective fields yesterday, I'm beginning to think about subscribing to eball's newsletter.

The Bengals have suffered significant injuries to 3 starters this preseason.

With all the bad luck the Bills have had injury-wise the past few years…

I hope they do turn it up just a little for the third pre-season game. I think at some point during the pre-season you have to rev up the engines and get into regular season mode. The 4th preseason game is a joke as far as starters are concerned so that really only leaves this up coming preseason game which is when the starters play the most to at least get the team into gear.

Not saying it excuses the poor tackling of the D and the poor execution of the offense but if the team is mailing in the preseason its a very weird thing to do.