Guys who looked okay last night and who didn't

bowery4

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helped themselves - Good showings

Kyle Williams - not that he needs "help', but for the second game in a row he looks like a monster out there: fast and strong, a real powerhouse, even when being doubleteamed, which seems to be every play.

Dareus - I love our DTs!

Glenn - I think he's been solid the first two games. I forgive him for the penalties (so long as he settles down). I was one who worried about him playing tackle, but that is now forgotten.

Graham - He has really earned playing time and looks like he's working hard to keep getting better. I thought WRs were supposed to take awhile to contribute. He's gone from a head-scratcher (little guy taken too high) to a very pleasant surprise who looks ready to get on the field in the opening game.

Howell - Covered well in other threads. He's now on my radar.

Brooks - He seems to have good instincts and is playing better than I think he should for his draft position.

I wish he'd actually look for the ball instead of just breaking up the passes. Maybe when he gets more comfortable... (did he have many INTs in college?)

Dickerson - He looks like a weapon we could use. i liked what I saw.

Vince Young - He looked pretty good to me, much bettr than he's been, and definitely our #2 QB now

Hurt themselves

Byrd - I saw several poor tackles. I'm not down on Byrd, but I think he had a bad game.

Barnett - He looks a bit lost out there, not at all the LB we've seen recently

Hagan - not sure it was his fault, but where was he?

Easley - He slipped to "lucky to make the PS" status IMO

Other

Anderson - He looks to be a bit out of control, a disruptor for sure, but all over the place, often far from where he started or the ball

Edited by Matt in KC

Other

Anderson - He looks to be a bit out of control, a disruptor for sure, but all over the place, often far from where he started or the ball

(Gotta run. I may well come add more later....)

As I noticed about Mark Anderson a few weeks ago when someone posted a highlight package, he's an effort and coverage sack guy. He seems rarely to beat guys cleanly with a polished move.

Most of his sacks come from the QB holding the ball too long, in my observation.

I like his motor and athleticism but Anderson is not an elite player.

As I noticed about Mark Anderson a few weeks ago when someone posted a highlight package, he's an effort and coverage sack guy. He seems rarely to beat guys cleanly with a polished move.

Most of his sacks come from the QB holding the ball too long, in my observation.

Hmm. Reminds of a former number one draft pick we waived last summer.

At least he's semi-decent against the run and can hold his own at the POA more often than not.

GO BILLS!!!

It looks to me like you're right. I didn't go back and look at any of his sacks from last year. I heard he had a variety of rush moves, and that he was much better against the run lat year than earlier in his career. His rush moves so far look like trying whatever comes to mind. It looks like he's moved around fairly easily, off balance much of the time. I suspect he'd still be relatively easy to block and move to open a run lane.

Hmm. Reminds of a former number one draft pick we waived last summer.

At least he's semi-decent against the run and can hold his own at the POA more often than not.

GO BILLS!!!

He looks much bigger and stronger than Maybin to me. Has he held the POA in the first two PS games? I may well have missed it. (Not trying to be sarcastic or whatever.)

Barnett - He looks a bit lost out there, not at all the LB we've seen recently

OLB is a totally new position for him. He's got a learning curve. Same for Morrison.

Easley - He slipped to "lucky to make the PS" status IMO

I don't believe he's eligible. A season on IR seems to count as a season. But PS squad rules make my head hurt, so maybe I'm wrong.

I still think that Troup will just get IR'd this season and they will bring him into camp come next season. Too much invested in the guy from a front office stand point to let him go. But there is no way you can have the guy on the roster either. Let him sit out the season and hopefully his back heals up and we can bring him into camp next year and give him one more look.

Well i watched the first half closely and rewound each play in the first quarter about eight times. so i could study each player in detail. I love NFL preseason live for that reason!!

I think most opinions are pretty on target. i did watch the whole game and Howell is playing like a man possesed. and he has only been with the team for about 3 weeks as he was finishing school.

I was considering starting a thread, A negative one. I watched Sheppard again and again and again wondering why he looked so bad.

Thinking he is a smart kid and would do well in the Mike, i think we all expect more from him. alot more.

Dont like to talk negative but he was useless in this game. Mentally lost. Could not get off blocks as the plays went past him. got no leverage. No instincts. late to call the play out if at all.

we had better consider our options quickly. He is supposed to be strong against the run? Move Mckillop or Morrison inside and let Moats have outside position. Those 3 are playing good football.

Easley does not qualify for PS according to a Rumbligs article last week ( Galliford? )

Mark Kelso was bashing Kevin Sheppard all night long, Missed tackles, out of position, wrong angle. Sheppard was still on the field in the 4th quarter.

Kelso's final comment was " The Bills need better play from the MLB position."

Makes no sense to play a starter that long in a meaningless preseason game. Something is up with this......IMO

In all honesty...I think the Bills predominatly just go with 2 LBs on the field for most plays where a LB is subbed for a third CB or 5th DL

also Sheppard in part was left on the field for more plays because the role of the MLB is the defensive captain/play caller

Brooks continues to impress. Reminds me of a young Terrence McGee. Not big but fast, physical and perfect for the nickel corner spot.

Same goes for TJ Graham. If he doesn't get at least a snap with the first team O next week I'm going to begin questioning Gailey's agenda. What does Derek Hagan have that Graham doesn't other than experience? That's what the preseason is for, get him some reps against actual starting D-Backs and see what happens.

Something i agree with....I feel they should be lining up TJ Graham, Roosevelt, Hagan, et all in with the first unit and see how they perform against the starting DBs....same with using the back up CBs against the first team offense of the opponent.

Edited by djp14150

It looks to me like you're right. I didn't go back and look at any of his sacks from last year. I heard he had a variety of rush moves, and that he was much better against the run lat year than earlier in his career. His rush moves so far look like trying whatever comes to mind. It looks like he's moved around fairly easily, off balance much of the time. I suspect he'd still be relatively easy to block and move to open a run lane.

He looks much bigger and stronger than Maybin to me. Has he held the POA in the first two PS games? I may well have missed it. (Not trying to be sarcastic or whatever.)

That's because he is. He's gotten pushed back a couple times that I've noticed. But no DE always wins the leverage battles. He's night and day compared to Maybin physically; a real three down player. I was just pointing out the description of his sacks by SJBF sounds like the kind Maybin gets.

GO BILLS!!!

After a couple plays it appeared as if our DEs were just screwing around.

One play in the game Anderson was doing little dance moves showing off that he could go left or right anytime with his burst.

Right now i am not going to take their play seriously either. Save it for the real games. Sure was fun to watch Williams back to his probowl ways already!

He and Dareus with Edwards and Johnson are going to be very strong this year.

Edited by 3rdand12

One play in the game Anderson was doing little dance moves showing off that he could go left or right anytime with his burst.

Right now i am not going to take their play seriously either. Save it for the real games. Sure was fun to watch Williams back to his probowl ways already!

Loved that bullrush he made. He put that Minny G in Ponder's lap. It ain't a pocket if there's nothing to step up into.

GO BILLS!!!

The irony of the Bills defensive line is that the two best players are probably the two guys the Bills drafted… not the big-name, expensive free agents.

That's why in the Andrew Luck/3 Bills Trade thread, I had to keep mentioning Kyle Williams. When he's healthy he's among the league's best. That play he made on the screen pass two years ago against Pittsburgh was one of the greatest plays I've ever seen a D-tackle make.

You mean like a vet who hasn't invested any time on breaking down film on his opponent (since it's preseason) and is rushing without a gameplan?

You mean, va… va… va…

Well i watched the first half closely and rewound each play in the first quarter about eight times. so i could study each player in detail. I love NFL preseason live for that reason!!

I think most opinions are pretty on target. i did watch the whole game and Howell is playing like a man possesed. and he has only been with the team for about 3 weeks as he was finishing school.

I was considering starting a thread, A negative one. I watched Sheppard again and again and again wondering why he looked so bad.

Thinking he is a smart kid and would do well in the Mike, i think we all expect more from him. alot more.

Dont like to talk negative but he was useless in this game. Mentally lost. Could not get off blocks as the plays went past him. got no leverage. No instincts. late to call the play out if at all.

we had better consider our options quickly. He is supposed to be strong against the run? Move Mckillop or Morrison inside and let Moats have outside position. Those 3 are playing good football.

Easley does not qualify for PS according to a Rumbligs article last week ( Galliford? )

Nice observations, I wish I could do the same. I liked what you said about the DEs too, got that opinion during the game (that they weren't really trying to hard), I kind of think it is about injury and staying healthy. I think K. Williams, and Wood were testing things a bit more, both looked beastly to me. What did you think of Merriman's game?

BTW I am hoping we see some McKillop w/ the firsts (next week), he seems good to me against the 2s lets see how he is w/ the 1s.

Nice observations, I wish I could do the same. I liked what you said about the DEs too, got that opinion during the game (that they weren't really trying to hard), I kind of think it is about injury and staying healthy. I think K. Williams, and Wood were testing things a bit more, both looked beastly to me. What did you think of Merriman's game?

BTW I am hoping we see some McKillop w/ the firsts (next week), he seems good to me against the 2s lets see how he is w/ the 1s.

Merrimans game against the Redskins he was explosive and disruptive at times. he was a bit quieter but contained well against the Vikes.

I look forward to Wood and Pears getting up to speed and settling the O line down!

I think Smith stays also