assuming the bills keep 10 dlineman

The question is more do we keep an extra defensive lineman or an extra linebacker. I think this game is really important for the purpose of talent assessment in those two areas. Either way we are going to let some very good players go. If I were any other team I'd be watching our cuts in both the d-line and linebacker corps with interest.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep an eye on Kyle Moore vs Vikings. They had high hopes for him in Tampa Bay but he wasn't comfortable in the 3-4 and didn't make any impact. However, he looks like a natural 4-3 pass rusher. 6'6" 265 with good speed and very long arms.

I watched him in practice, and Kyle Moore just might be the surprise keeper on the D-Line.

I like Heard more than Carrington. Heard has more "relentless" in him than Carrington. Can Heard stay healthy, and play through minor injuries? If he plays tonight, Heard has a better chance.

would you keep heard and carrington because alex can swing to de

or would you keep moore and carrington?

who is better heard, or moore? tough call...

just read buscaglia....

wow, it looks like carrington might get cut...

so heard and moore might make it...

Heard is better when healthy so I'd go with him.

I think that Troup gets IRd, and we only keep 9 DL. Moore might make it.

I think Carrington is out as well as Heard. We have several players with versatility. Spencer J can play end if he has to. Do not at all be surprised to see Super Mario, Kelsay, and Merriman spinkled in as DTs on obvious passing downs to wreak some havoc on the interior and because we have so many effective pass rushers. That will lessen the need for 10.

We also suddenly have an abundance of LBs that may need to stay. They are not going to release Tank or Bradham (Guns don't kill people, Nigel Bradham kills people). Moats is obviously staying, and almost for sure Morrison is. Scott is a lock. With McKilop playing well as a back-up MLB, we are very likely to keep 8 for three positions

just read buscaglia....

You lost me at "assuming the Bills keep 10 dlinemen". Why are you stuck on this, no matter how many times people point out that strong, notable 4-3 teams usually keep 8 or 9?

The DL will not be "stuffed" by keeping 10 dlinemen, no matter how little they have shown (Carrington) or how injured they are (Heard). Moore is on the bubble but is being talked up.

Why would we keep 10 DL on the roster at the expense of some of the linebackers who are looking strong on D and who have proven ST abilities?

Look at the linebacker corps - Moats, Morrison, Shep, McKillop, Barnett, Scott all playing well. 4-3 teams usually keep 7, but we're unlikely to throw Bradham or Carder up for grabs.

Morrison is the likeliest cut but he's playing reasonably well and we could use a vet LB besides Barnett. McKillop, Bradham, and Carder all have a history of strong ST play

We're more likely to keep 8 LB than 10 DL.

I'm of the impression that there are 8 solids

Williams, Williams, Dareus, Kelsay

Merriman, Edwards, Johnson, Anderson

And that there would be one more on top of that, probably Moore or Carrington. Troupe and Heard are likely to be cut, in my eyes.

100% correct on the keepers. Recent reports are that Moore is contributing more than Carrington and there's more ? at DE in those 8 keepers (Merriman) than at DT.

It's tough, but we don't have room to keep injured guys who might contribute if they can get and stay healthy this year (Troup, Heard).

Look at the performance of the #2 OL. They aren't that bad. They look like cr*p because our #2s on DL are so strong.

People who think a guy who is playing injured and not showing as much, get kept over Edwards and Johnson, aren't listening very carefully to the 'stache.

He has clearly stated the philosophy that as our DL goes, so our defense goes (and I say, as our defense goes, so the Bills go).

We will keep the very best 8 DLmen regardless of salary, and pinch pennies (if needed) somewhere else.

I wonder if the bills can trade one of the fringe defensive linemen for a 6th or 7th round pick? The bills will clearly be cutting a couple of lineman who would make most teams. A team might be willing to surrender a 6th or 7th round pick instead of competing with other teams to sign one of the bills cuts d lineman.

There are teams who are in worse shape now with defense linemen, especially tackles, then Bills.

Question is how much front office thinks there is difference between ones they might cut and if another team is willing to trade a pick for a player to evaluate in last two weeks of camp or just take chance on waiver wire.

I think that Troup gets IRd, and we only keep 9 DL. Moore might make it.

I think Carrington is out as well as Heard. We have several players with versatility. Spencer J can play end if he has to. Do not at all be surprised to see Super Mario, Kelsay, and Merriman spinkled in as DTs on obvious passing downs to wreak some havoc on the interior and because we have so many effective pass rushers. That will lessen the need for 10.

We also suddenly have an abundance of LBs that may need to stay. They are not going to release Tank or Bradham (Guns don't kill people, Nigel Bradham kills people). Moats is obviously staying, and almost for sure Morrison is. Scott is a lock. With McKilop playing well as a back-up MLB, we are very likely to keep 8 for three positions

Why would the Bills IR Troup? So him and his bad back can show up at training camp next year and get cut? I don't understand all the Troup to IR stuff.

Unfortunately because of his inability to be healthy he is a liability that does not have a position with this team. If he was a stud and ran into some injury problems, sure keep him around, but he has not proven to be any better than a backup or 3rd stringer. Why bother keeping him if your the Bills. He just all of a sudden is not going to turn into Bruce Smith or even a Pat Williams type. Time to move on.

Why would the Bills IR Troup? So him and his bad back can show up at training camp next year and get cut? I don't understand all the Troup to IR stuff.

Unfortunately because of his inability to be healthy he is a liability that does not have a position with this team. If he was a stud and ran into some injury problems, sure keep him around, but he has not proven to be any better than a backup or 3rd stringer. Why bother keeping him if your the Bills. He just all of a sudden is not going to turn into Bruce Smith or even a Pat Williams type. Time to move on.

There is every reason to believe that Nix still likes him and thinks the only reason that he hasn't been an effective player is because of injury. He is not against admitting mistakes, and neither is Gailey, but IMO and likely the Bills front office, Troup simply hasn't had the chance. He also doesn't cost a lot of money.

Am I the only one who think Troupe could get the axe?

Troupe simply cannot play with his chronic back condition. He was a terrible draft choice. He should be Ir'd and perhaps he can play after a full season off.

There is every reason to believe that Nix still likes him and thinks the only reason that he hasn't been an effective player is because of injury. He is not against admitting mistakes, and neither is Gailey, but IMO and likely the Bills front office, Troup simply hasn't had the chance. He also doesn't cost a lot of money.

I agree. I like the guy...But he takes up a roster spot from someone who could perform.

I don't know what Troup's propsects for recovery are, but he sure sounded discouraged about them. Chronic back problems don't just go away, take it from me, and I don't have 300# guys slamming into me. I think he's probably done with the Bills.

In other news, I though Heard looked pretty good against Washington. He definitely made a better impression than Carrington to me. I think the 9th DL spot is between him and K Moore. I'm actually the most interested in what happens with Lindell v Potter. I have a feeling that if Potter hits his field goals during preseason that the Bills may cut Lindell rather than keep 2 kickers.

Edited by vincec

just read buscaglia....

I cannot see us keeping 10, nine is the number. But, since this thread is saying if we kept 10 ...

WILLIAMS, DAREUS, WILLIAMS, ANDERSON

KELSAY, JOHNSON, EDWARDS (The Bills have salary room and this team is about winning so he stays.), MERRIMAN

TROUP to injured reserve; I think they give him one more chance.

MOORE makes it as the number 9 guy.

I think that in the end CARRINGTON makes it if we keep 10 but he needs to show that he can put his game together. It's clear from today's story but also his invisibility in camp and the preseason that he has not taken the steps forward that many of us had hoped for when the Bills drafted him. Frankly, Heard has been hurt too much to really prove that he belongs so I have him on the outs if we keep 10. But, tonight's game may very well be the deal breaker for either HEARD or CARRINGTON plus any analysis of Heard's health condition.

When I look at the rest of the roster however, I do not know which position we decrease the number in order to put 10 or even 9 defensive linemen on the 53. Edwards can slide over to DE if necessary and so can Johnson. So in reality in our top eight we have 6 guys who can play DE and 4 who can play DT, do we need more?

A lot of people like Kyle Moore and I'm sure the Bills coaches like what they see out of him as a pass rusher, but he gets killed against the run and is doing his damage against back-ups. I would say he has about a 50-50 chance of making the team. It's really a matter of whether they want to keep an extra DT or an extra DE. They have a ton of pass rushers. Even if he were to make the team, we would likely have to have two injuries before Moore was activated on gameday.

A lot of people like Kyle Moore and I'm sure the Bills coaches like what they see out of him as a pass rusher, but he gets killed against the run and is doing his damage against back-ups. I would say he has about a 50-50 chance of making the team. It's really a matter of whether they want to keep an extra DT or an extra DE. They have a ton of pass rushers. Even if he were to make the team, we would likely have to have two injuries before Moore was activated on gameday.

Anyone have any gouge on if Moore or Carrington have any ST whammy? ST are a big factor in evaluating backups