Its time to resign Byrd, Levitre and Urbik

freester

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because, you may not understand if you've only seen the Bills FO operate prior to Nix, You sign the players you want to keep the season before they become Free Agents. Thats how the NFL works. The players you don't mind losing or the players you don't believe in long term, those players you let go into the season without any additional years in thier contract.

So the reason you sign Levitre before the season starts is because that is the expectation for every player that wants to stay with their current team and every team that wants to keep their stud players.

There really shouldn't be any questioning of this, Buddy Nix #1 priority right now is sign Levitre before the season starts.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic (ironic, considering your moniker), but for now I'll assume you're serious.

You don't need to sign your pending FAs a full year prior to their contract expiring. I have no problem with that happening, but I also have no problem assuming that they'll address Levitre and Byrd before they hit the market, just as they did with Stevie, Chandler, Freddie, Pears, etc. Until this particular regime shows a singular failure to get such a contract done, I won't understand the rush.

Also, I can't abide being told that this is "just how the NFL works" when guys like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Ray Rice, Dwayne Bowe, Matt Forte, and many, many other marquee players have all been unable to sign long-term deals until after the franchise tag had been applied (all within the last 2 years). It would seem that the rest of the NFL isn't familiar with how the NFL works.

All that said, if you were being sarcastic, then I say "touche".

Because this is the NFL. If a player is not a special player and there is a younger, cheaper player that can contribute just as much as the non special player. You go younger and cheaper 100% of the time. Thats how the NFL works.

Spencer Johnson is not a special player. Dwan Edwards is not a special player. For the money they make they are definitely on the block for Cap Casualties, if a younger cheaper guy steps up.

Again, assuming sincerity here, I have seen zero evidence that guys like Heard, Carrington, Troupe, etc. can play at the same level as Johnson and Edwards. Forget being special, this team needs its backups to be servicable, and those 2 are. The guys behind them...well, I'm not sold.

Fans are so scarred by previous failures to sign our own that we panic now when a guy has a year left. I agree that it's important to sign those guys, especially Byrd and Levitre, but suggesting the Bills cut players that will play a major role on the d-line without any proven player taking their place is absurd.

I am no cap/contract expert, but if we extend the deals beyond this season and don't alter the contract for 2012 do we need to make salary cuts? Or can we just worry about it next year?

We may have to shed some salary now to get this done. Potential cuts that would save money include: Spencer Johnson, T. Mcgee, Dwan Edwards, Brad Smith. None of these names would surprise me.

How is the does the cap look right now? I haven't checked in awhile. They were waay below it last I looked. I can't see how re-signing Byrd and Levitre is gonna hurt the team cap wise...

How is the does the cap look right now? I haven't checked in awhile. They were waay below it last I looked. I can't see how re-signing Byrd and Levitre is gonna hurt the team cap wise...

Byrd and Levitre will both be in the top 5 salaries for their positions. Also we don't want to lose young talent like Carrington and Heard ( I know their talent level is debatable)

2 Notable Safety Contracts:

Ed Reed - 7 years, $40 million ($15 million guaranteed)

Troy Polamalu - 4 years, $36.5 million ($10.5 guaranteed)

The 2 best safeties in recent memory don't command huge contracts, so I doubt Byrd will be getting a ton of money. I'd expect him to sign a 4 year, $20 milliion contract with something like $10 million guaranteed. I wouldn't be surprised if this got done at some point during the season. It is certainly reasonable to start thinking about extensions now.. but it definitely isn't a pressing need yet.

Byrd and Levitre will both be in the top 5 salaries for their positions. Also we don't want to lose young talent like Carrington and Heard ( I know their talent level is debatable)

I like Levitre, but there's no way he's getting top 5 money. I mean, there are a lot of good guards in the league:

Carl Nicks

Jahri Evans

Marshall Yanda

Logan Mankins

Steve Hutchinson

Mike Brisiel

Chris Snee

Evan Mathis

Brandon Moore

Davin Joseph

All arguably better players than Levitre. I could see him getting top 10 money perhaps, but not top 5. And again, I don't see any reason he wouldn't sign long before his contract runs out.

Byrd may present a different circumstance, as he plays a position where numbers = dollars. If he has a big year numbers-wise, he could creep toward the top 5.

Because, you may not understand if you've only seen the Bills FO operate prior to Nix, You sign the players you want to keep the season before they become Free Agents. Thats how the NFL works. The players you don't mind losing or the players you don't believe in long term, those players you let go into the season without any additional years in thier contract.

So the reason you sign Levitre before the season starts is because that is the expectation for every player that wants to stay with their current team and every team that wants to keep their stud players.

There really shouldn't be any questioning of this, Buddy Nix #1 priority right now is sign Levitre before the season starts.

Because this is the NFL. If a player is not a special player and there is a younger, cheaper player that can contribute just as much as the non special player. You go younger and cheaper 100% of the time. Thats how the NFL works.

Spencer Johnson is not a special player. Dwan Edwards is not a special player. For the money they make they are definitely on the block for Cap Casualties, if a younger cheaper guy steps up.

Nice tutorial. Too bad it just doesn;t work that way.

I like Levitre, but there's no way he's getting top 5 money. I mean, there are a lot of good guards in the league:

Carl Nicks

Jahri Evans

Marshall Yanda

Logan Mankins

Steve Hutchinson

Mike Brisiel

Chris Snee

Evan Mathis

Brandon Moore

Davin Joseph

All arguably better players than Levitre. I could see him getting top 10 money perhaps, but not top 5. And again, I don't see any reason he wouldn't sign long before his contract runs out.

Byrd may present a different circumstance, as he plays a position where numbers = dollars. If he has a big year numbers-wise, he could creep toward the top 5.

I think if byrd has a huge year, the worst thing that happens we franchise tag him. But I think this front office is able to resign players and only use the tag as leverage

These two studs will be resigned, no wquestion.

Doesnt the salary cap take a nice % jump next year in 2013 when the renewed TV contracts go in to affect? I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading this some where, maybe even here on twobillsdrive.

The Bills are in pretty good shape contract wise, and at first I thought it may be difficult to sign both Levitre and Urbik (considering if Urbik has a good year and we want him back), it's probably not that hard.

Byrd would be the top priority but safeties don't make as much as other players so we will save several million there. Still he will command a big salary next year but we have to sign him and probably will.

Right now, the Bills are paying peanuts for their tackles, the most expensive position on the OL. Glenn, Hairston, and Sanders, who will be three of the four, make pennies. The only guy who makes any money at tackle is Pears, and he make low end starter money. So we can afford to pay a lot at guard if we have to because we will have Glenn for 4 years, Hairston for 3 and Sanders for 3-4. Wood still has a year left after this one on his rookie deal, and while he was a #1 pick, he was a low #1 and really doesnt make all that much.

Levitre will cost a lot, perhaps in the top 10 in the league, just because he will likely threaten to test the open market. But we should be able to pay all three of those guys, and keep them. We may decide to let Urbik walk if they think Rinehardt is nearly as good.

Stevie Johnson signed one day before he was going to become an UFA. There is time to get these guys signed. Next year Merriman and possibly Kelsay's contracts come off the books.

Incorrect.

You don't risk losing your core guys.

That is not how you operate.

If Levitre is a core guy you plan on building your O-line you show the player that you see him as a team leader and core member of the team and you sign him in the offseason before he becomes a FA.

There are 4 weeks to get that done. I believe he will be extended before october.

You either know now or don't know now that levitre is your stalwart O-linemen nothing (barring catastrtophic injury) is likely to change that decision in the next 20 weeks.

Incorrect.

You don't risk losing your core guys.

That is not how you operate.

If Levitre is a core guy you plan on building your O-line you show the player that you see him as a team leader and core member of the team and you sign him in the offseason before he becomes a FA.

This isn't at all common in the nfl. It took the saints drew brees' AFTER his contract expired to re-sign him. Look at all the players that got a franchise tag last year. Teams don't re-sign player this early as often as you are making it out to be.

And as great as byrd and levitre are, calling them leaders is a bit of exageration. Especially on levitre. I wouldn't call either of them leaders. Kyle Williams, George Wilson, Fitz, and freddy, THOSE are leaders. Hence why freddy got extended (plus he outperformed his contract).

I'm sorry. I just don't see the "risk" of losing one of them of we don't sign them right now. Would it be that bad to sign them in late season? Hell, if all else fails, we can franchise one of them. This risk is so minimal

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

This isn't at all common in the nfl. It took the saints over a year AFTER his contract expired to re-sign him. Look at all the players that got a franchise tag last year. Teams don't re-sign player this early as often as you are making it out to be.

And as great as byrd and levitre are, calling them leaders is a bit of exageration. Especially on levitre. I wouldn't call either of them leaders. Kyle Williams, George Wilson, Fitz, and freddy, THOSE are leaders. Hence why freddy got extended (plus he outperformed his contract).

I'm sorry. I just don't see the "risk" of losing one of them of we don't sign them right now. Would it be that bad to sign them in mid season? Hell, if all else fails, we can franchise one of them. This risk is so minimal

None of us are in the locker room, but I believe that Levitre led by example on the field. Except when he had to play center and had difficulty snapping, Levitre was one guy who excelled during both feast and famine.

That said, I agree that his extension doesn't need to come now. In fact I'd be surprised if Buddy hasn't already pulled Levitre and Byrd aside to say "We want you to be Bills for a long time. Just hold tight and you'll be taken care of."

In the past i would agree. But givin what the front office has proven over the last off season they will resign their own guys. Wait and see how the season plays out some.

The FO can not control what the players/agents want to do. The agents want to maximize the dollars earned for their clients. Nix has shown he will pay FAIR price for talent.

I am sure passive discussions have begun between both sides, no matter what they say to us or the media.

None of us are in the locker room, but I believe that Levitre led by example on the field. Except when he had to play center and had difficulty snapping, Levitre was one guy who excelled during both feast and famine.

That said, I agree that his extension doesn't need to come now. In fact I'd be surprised if Buddy hasn't already pulled Levitre and Byrd aside to say "We want you to be Bills for a long time. Just hold tight and you'll be taken care of."

I believe they have already have done some soft talking with levitre's agent