Underage Drinking Sting at the Ralph

Tolstoy

Of course I think that obeying the law is important. However, I can't help but think that there is something absurd about a law that brings about a "sting" operation at the Ralph to nab 20 year olds for drinking what was probably a few beers. For heaven's sake, these are grown men and women who can and often do have families, full-time jobs, and can fight and die for their country. They can't enjoy a beer legally???? I'm sorry, but this law needs to change. We should clamp down on drunk driving--yes, but lower the drinking age for wine and beer. We need to teach teenagers how to enjoy beer responsibly (i.e., in our presence), not force them to drink cheep swill in private.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I don't agree that the drinking age Gould be lowered but the law is the law. Unfortunately there are the few in the crowd that ruin it for everyone.

I have personally never understood paying $50 (on the low end) to go to an event an get so messed up you don't even know what's going on. Doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, while I agree with you in spirit, them's the rules. I had to deal with similar operations in college since it was a small town and the police force had little else to do. And quite frankly, if you're dumb enough to get caught, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Of course I think that obeying the law is important. However, I can't help but think that there is something absurd about a law that brings about a "sting" operation at the Ralph to nab 20 year olds for drinking what was probably a few beers. For heaven's sake, these are grown men and women who can and often do have families, full-time jobs, and can fight and die for their country. They can't enjoy a beer legally???? I'm sorry, but this law needs to change. We should clamp down on drunk driving--yes, but lower the drinking age for wine and beer. We need to teach teenagers how to enjoy beer responsibly (i.e., in our presence), not force them to drink cheep swill in private.

Agreed STUPID waste of OUR Money. Our taxpaying money! Don't we have more important things to do than to have "undercover cops", aka swat team wanna bees. I mean glorified mall coppers, Neighborhood watchers stop little 20 year old Tommy from drinking 3 beers before a Saturday night football game. Come on man! :beer:

I agree!

How soon we forget. Perhaps the police are trying to prevent a situation like this, when 4 police officers and 3 fans were hit by a drunk and underage driver.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/63972522.html

Per the article 'Police arrested 19-year-old Brandon McLean of Williamsville and charged him with DWI. Its likely more charges will be added on because the injury count is high: 4 officers and 3 pedestrians, all victims of what some called erratic and reckless driving.'

Sure. The police shouldn't be wasting their time on 20 year old drinkers. These resources should be put to good use, such as arresting cigarette smokers.

Publicity stunts to justify more funding

It's either that, or the fines themselves are worth the cost of the operation. It's not like they use the high-tech equipment to bust drunken teenagers, and while I don't know the details, I bet they collect a hefty toll on those they bust.

It doesn't make sense that you can vote and get drafted but can't enjoy a cold beer once in a while.

This phrase is thrown out in abundance when talking about underage drinking. A responsible adult "enjoys a cold beer once in a while" after cutting the grass, or while socializing at a buddy's house, or while taking in a game. An 18 year old enjoys a cold CASE of beer once in a while just for the sake of getting piss drunk.

This phrase is thrown out in abundance when talking about underage drinking. A responsible adult "enjoys a cold beer once in a while" after cutting the grass, or while socializing at a buddy's house, or while taking in a game. An 18 year old enjoys a cold CASE of beer once in a while just for the sake of getting piss drunk.

I think you're over-generalizing just a bit.

This thread is an interesting juxtaposition with The Rev's one on drunken behavior at the stadium.

One question certainly is whether younger people are less able to handle drinking and more prone to getting "stupid drunk," or whether that delineation has more to do with the individuals than the age of the individuals.

I think you're over-generalizing just a bit.

This thread is an interesting juxtaposition with The Rev's one on drunken behavior at the stadium.

One question certainly is whether younger people are less able to handle drinking and more prone to getting "stupid drunk," or whether that delineation has more to do with the individuals than the age of the individuals.

Certainly, it was an over generalization. In my mind's eye I had a picture of an 18 year old kid just back from a long day at work who comes home and kisses the wife and kids, and sits down to "enjoy a cold beer". This picture was completely contrary to my personal experiences of 18 year olds drinking beer, which usually involves fighting, vomiting, naked women, and jail (not necessarily in that order).

How soon we forget. Perhaps the police are trying to prevent a situation like this, when 4 police officers and 3 fans were hit by a drunk and underage driver.

http://www.wkbw.com/...l/63972522.html

Per the article 'Police arrested 19-year-old Brandon McLean of Williamsville and charged him with DWI. Its likely more charges will be added on because the injury count is high: 4 officers and 3 pedestrians, all victims of what some called erratic and reckless driving.'

The problem isn't so much the age on your drivers license but teaching our young how to be responsible when having a few beers. There has to be a DD or take a cab home. Youngsters need to learn this early.

Slightly off topic and I apologize, but does anyone know if it's possible to leave a car at RWS overnight until the next day (specifically thinking ahead to the TNF Miami game). My friends and I always rotate DD duties but we were hoping to find a loophole and take a cab to hotel for this one game. Or are there any private lots that might accomodate this such as Hammers?

I'm more in favor of a lower drinking age but a tougher stance if a young person abuses the privilege and gets a DUI.

It doesn't make sense that you can vote and get drafted but can't enjoy a cold beer once in a while.

+1 - This is exactly how it should be.

And, it seems like the Bills and company are continually trying to do things to make it less fun to go to games. The tailgate etc. is one of the most overwhelming things in favor of a gameday experience vs. watching on your high def TV.