Paul Ryan VP. Still want to debate the Walker Recall?

He had no choice, veep pick was dictated by his sinking in the polls. Had his strategy of hang back and remain vague on platform while benefitting from anti-incumbent/Obama sentiment been working, he'd have gone with a more neutral choice like Portman. To stop the ship from crashing on the rocks near term he needed to solidify the base and define a platform, the latter he did by inheriting Ryan's. But this adds more risks longer term that need to be managed that camp Romney didn't envision taking

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderator: Mr Ryan, your roadmap assumes FY 2018 Budget Line Item 1234 Section A Subsection 36 Paragraph Four having growth of 3.456789%. However respectable economists are predicting only 3.456788%. How sir, do you explain this discrepency?

Moderator: Mr Vice President, why do the Republicans want to throw my dear old Grandmother over a cliff?

David Frum sums up the biggest attack on Ryan ..

"You've worked hard all your life. You've paid Medicare taxes for almost 30 years. But under the Republican plan, Medicare won't be there for you. Instead of Medicare as it exists now, under the Republican plan you'll get a voucher that will pay as little as half your Medicare costs when you turn 65—and as little as a quarter in your 80s. And all so that millionaires and billionaires can have a huge tax cut."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/11/attack-ads.html

Edited by conner

"You've worked hard all your life. You've paid Medicare taxes for almost 30 years. But under the Republican plan, Medicare won't be there for you. Instead of Medicare as it exists now, under the Republican plan you'll get a voucher that will pay as little as half your Medicare costs when you turn 65—and as little as a quarter in your 80s. And all so that millionaires and billionaires can have a huge tax cut."

Romney needs to put this line to rest. They're chanting this nonsensical bull **** in ad after ad telling people Romney's going to cut taxes at the top & raise them on the middle class. Sure, it's a bald-faced lie, but anyone still undecided is too simple or disinterested to know better. He needs to not only call it out for the lie it is but also shame Obama for his blatant dishonesty so as to put him back on the defensive.

Edited by Rob's House

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Disagree this "seals" it for Obama. It's the move Romney had to make to give himself a chance. The other choices would have been more of a "sealer"

It's a tough one for sure. I think it will require making concessions on tax policy. But can they do that given how set in their ways they seem ? I think the base would accept entitlement reductions for a standstill on taxes, but not tax increases, which the dems will demand especially on higher incomes.

I was thinking about "topic tags" for this one.

Perhaps:

Recall

Wisconsin

Morons

Unions

Overreach

Reality

Budgetary Discipline

Monetary Policy

Medicare Reform

:lol:

Anyway, I am of course quite pleased with this selection. I think Ryan is an example of what qualified government looks like. Big or small, we need qualified government.

On a smaller note: I now have something to look forward to in politics: Ryan Vs. Biden debate. Nothing like a good public humiliation for us to laugh at. Biden's people: all faces in palms, trying to remember which folder their resume is in. :lol:

On an even smaller note: CMS is also considering stopping by the liquor store tonight.

Biden will kill this Medicare killing punk in debate. He also voted for TARP, the auto bailout, privitizing social security, Bush prescription drug plan, Iraq War funding....and now wants to cut taxes for the wealthy further.

This jerk is the poster child of Romneyhood

Romney just sealed the election for Obama. Picking a VP nominee that actually has ideas based in rationality is the kind of intelligent move that an experienced executive would make that completely alienates voters who not just expect but demand "leadership" that tells them who to blame for their problems, how to solve it. He clearly doesn't understand that the American Presidency isn't about solutions, but pandering, and nothing illustrates better how out-of-touch Romney is with the average American than this choice.

The idea that Ryan's plans fix anything is pretty laughable

Then VP debate will be amusing for a couple minutes before itl turns into the Globetrotters vs Washington Generals. Of course nobody will pay any attention to the VP debates and the media will spin it as the Elder Statesman vs the Reckless Young Punk

Never underestimate 4 things:

1. Any public debate's ability to produce noteworthy soundbites: "you sir, are no John Kennedy" :lol: was a VP debate.

2. Joe Biden's propensity for unintentional hilarity

3. The American people's hunger for seeing a public humilation, and willingness to laugh at one liners/stupid things pols say, and hammer away with them...even if they are "out of context" :rolleyes:

4. Late night TVs need for material.

Romney just sealed the election for Obama. Picking a VP nominee that actually has ideas based in rationality is the kind of intelligent move that an experienced executive would make that completely alienates voters who not just expect but demand "leadership" that tells them who to blame for their problems, how to solve it. He clearly doesn't understand that the American Presidency isn't about solutions, but pandering, and nothing illustrates better how out-of-touch Romney is with the average American than this choice.

Hehe. Well, Tom, you've been saying that we're all idiots, and that Obama will win by default. But, that's what you were saying last year at this time.

Look how far we've come: a non-hack, sincere candidate who actually has experience(...at something, anything :lol:) working with many sorts of people, but more importantly has experience fixing other people's massive F ups, and a sincere, ballsy policy expert who has learned to synthesize, not lie about/gloss over, his positions on every single issue, but can drill down into painful detail on command.

Now, if everybody was as dumb as you say....we'd have Newt and Santorum/Pawlenty. But...we don't, do we? Some of the American people made that happen. Not all of them, but a lot did.

I watched Ryan's speech this morning. More importantly, I watched Romney's later in the day. That was the best I've seen Romney so far. Seemingly, off the cuff(I said seemingly), but sincerely passionate, finally. Ryan clearly fired Mitt up today, and Mitt looked and made a solid connection with his audience. That alone may be all Mitt needs to win. Lord knows it was the first time I've seen, that he looked like he was willing to fight, and fight hard, for the job.

Now is that a coincidence? No. Am I an optimist that believes that people will vote for real ideas and problem solvers, rather than blame-everybody-else, empty suit lawyers? Yeah....I am.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Biden will kill this Medicare killing punk in debate. He also voted for TARP, the auto bailout, privitizing social security, Bush prescription drug plan, Iraq War funding....and now wants to cut taxes for the wealthy further.

This jerk is the poster child of Romneyhood

Not nearly as laughable as you....Biden? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might be time to lay off the kind bud for a few weeks. Clear the resin out of your brain.

Because...apparently you're so high that you don't even comprehend the John Stewart show....which makes at least 15% of it's money on the plethora of Joe Biden gaffes. They could sell "Gaffe" cologne, with a picture of the state of Delaware on it, and most of the country would get the joke.

For the rest of PPP: See? I've been saying since 2009 that they will now grasp at every, Mitt Romney gave my wife cancer, straw...and here it is.

Short of Ryan having a coniption, rational, objective observers would put the O/U on Ryan ripping Biden at 10...per debate. But who am I kidding? There will be only one debate, on the west coast, at 8pm, if there are any at all.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Disagree this "seals" it for Obama. It's the move Romney had to make to give himself a chance. The other choices would have been more of a "sealer"

Just wanted to make sure that you were, in fact, merely interpreting reality to fit your own warped little world-view, and not trying to make a rational point for once.

Never underestimate 4 things:

1. Any public debate's ability to produce noteworthy soundbites: "you sir, are no John Kennedy" :lol: was a VP debate.

2. Joe Biden's propensity for unintentional hilarity

3. The American people's hunger for seeing a public humilation, and willingness to laugh at one liners/stupid things pols say, and hammer away with them...even if they are "out of context" :rolleyes:

4. Late night TVs need for material.

Hehe. Well, Tom, you've been saying that we're all idiots, and that Obama will win by default. But, that's what you were saying last year at this time.

Look how far we've come: a non-hack, sincere candidate who actually has experience(...at something, anything :lol:) working with many sorts of people, but more importantly has experience fixing other people's massive F ups, and a sincere, ballsy policy expert who has learned to synthesize, not lie about/gloss over, his positions on every single issue, but can drill down into painful detail on command.

Now, if everybody was as dumb as you say....we'd have Newt and Santorum/Pawlenty. But...we don't, do we? Some of the American people made that happen. Not all of them, but a lot did.

I watched Ryan's speech this morning. More importantly, I watched Romney's later in the day. That was the best I've seen Romney so far. Seemingly, off the cuff(I said seemingly), but sincerely passionate, finally. Ryan clearly fired Mitt up today, and Mitt looked and made a solid connection with his audience. That alone may be all Mitt needs to win. Lord knows it was the first time I've seen, that he looked like he was willing to fight, and fight hard, for the job.

Now is that a coincidence? No. Am I an optimist that believes that people will vote for real ideas and problem solvers, rather than blame-everybody-else, empty suit lawyers? Yeah....I am.

All Obama needs is slightly less than 50% of the electorate to be more interested in blame than solutions.

You really have that much faith that, if you pick two random people off the street, you don't expect one to be a professional victim?

Biden will kill this Medicare killing punk in debate.

Man, I've read some really ridiculous things on this board, but this comment is something special. Is the plan for Biden to "awww shucks" his way through the debate and hope he doesn't ask wheelchair-bound people to stand up! Or maybe the plan is to see who can correctly identify how many letters are in the words "jobs." Or better yet, maybe ol' Plugs Biden can tie one on and peform his most requested hit, "The Villages."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRXH7RkCZQ

Let's try a little test; count all the people who voted for Ryan's solution-based budget and compare them to all the people who voted for the budgetary solutions of both of Barack Obama's budgets AND Harry Reid's budgets, and let me know who has ANY plan to fix anyting.

Wait. What? Harry Reid's budgets? Hmmm. Let's see. Oh, wait, Harry Reid can't put together a budget because he's busy with little boys in his Senate office bathroom. I mean, that's what we hear. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING, HARRY?

Man, this is going to be fun.

Bolded - agree

Italics - El Oh !@#$ing El

Bolded - agree

What's funny is that you agree with him for completely opposite reasons.

I'm sure Romney will win but I have an election here to worry about where I have actual skin in the game.

You really have that much faith that, if you pick two random people off the street, you don't expect one to be a professional victim?

Guys like Paul Ryan have the unique ability to reach through all the crap, and make you think. Not saying everybody will agree, but they WILL pay attention. It's a hell of a lot harder to claim victimhood, when you are being intellectually challenged to prove that, and a lot of other people, who are now also paying attention, are watching.

That's what Ryan looks like to me: a deathly serious intellectual challenge. That's why I thnk this will be effective. This white house, and "progressives" in general have gotten so far away from true intellectual activity/approaches, that they're "out of shape". Think about it, when is the last time you could identify one of their polices as having been seriously thought through and tailored for the situation at hand....and not just some boiler plate that was ripped out of a 10-year-old 3-ring binder? Compare that to Ryan's budget. Ask him what's on page 112.

They will try to blow Ryan off as an extremist, and in the beginning this will seem to be working...but each time he will land a punch. At first it will seem like it's irrelevant. But, over time, day after day, he will start to resonate, and people will start to remember, because he makes them pay attention. Then they will come at him, but they will swing wildly...because unlike Ryan, they haven't been to practice every single day for the last 20 years.

The true test of this will be: in 2 months...go down the street and ask random people who Paul Ryan is...and THEN ask them if they are victims. :lol: If they know the answer to the first question, you can bet the answer will be no to the 2nd one.

Bolded - agree

Laugh now...watch Biden get KOed later. And, then, watch Romney take the cue, and proceed to knock off-prompter Barry out as well.

And we already have the evidence: Ryan torched Obama in that Obamacare "meeting". The WH did the only thing they could do to try and get back at Ryan: they invited Ryan to an Obama speech on the pretense that Obama would discuss his plan....but then he just bashed Ryan....with the convenience that Ryan couldn't respond.

That they had to do this, set him up and not give him a chance to respond....and that all Ryan did was sit there and laugh at them....is all we need to know about how scared they truly are of Ryan, and now unafraid Ryan truly is of them.

False bravdo is the talking point I am seeing consistently on every news channel today. Yeah they "wanted" Ryan. :lol: Utter horseshit. Ryan is the very last thing they wanted and we all F'ing know it. :lol: Look, it's all they can say. I don't blame them, but it doesn't make them any less pathetic. It's a lie, and it's not even a very good one.

Guys like Paul Ryan have the unique ability to reach through all the crap, and make you think. Not saying everybody will agree, but they WILL pay attention. It's a hell of a lot harder to claim victimhood, when you are being intellectually challenged to prove that, and a lot of other people, who are now also paying attention, are watching.

That's what Ryan looks like to me: a deathly serious intellectual challenge. That's why I thnk this will be effective. This white house, and "progressives" in general have gotten so far away from true intellectual activity/approaches, that they're "out of shape". Think about it, when is the last time you could identify one of their polices as having been seriously thought through and tailored for the situation at hand....and not just some boiler plate that was ripped out of a 10-year-old 3-ring binder? Compare that to Ryan's budget. Ask him what's on page 112.

They will try to blow Ryan off as an extremist, and in the beginning this will seem to be working...but each time he will land a punch. At first it will seem like it's irrelevant. But, over time, day after day, he will start to resonate, and people will start to remember, because he makes them pay attention. Then they will come at him, but they will swing wildly...because unlike Ryan, they haven't been to practice every single day for the last 20 years.

The true test of this will be: in 2 months...go down the street and ask random people who Paul Ryan is...and THEN ask them if they are victims. :lol: If they know the answer to the first question, you can bet the answer will be no to the 2nd one.

Laugh now...watch Biden get KOed later. And, then, watch Romney take the cue, and proceed to knock off-prompter Barry out as well.

And we already have the evidence: Ryan torched Obama in that Obamacare "meeting". The WH did the only thing they could do to try and get back at Ryan: they invited Ryan to an Obama speech on the pretense that Obama would discuss his plan....but then he just bashed Ryan....with the convenience that Ryan couldn't respond.

That they had to do this, set him up and not give him a chance to respond....and that all Ryan did was sit there and laugh at them....is all we need to know about how scared they truly are of Ryan, and now unafraid Ryan truly is of them.

False bravdo is the talking point I am seeing consistently on every news channel today. Yeah they "wanted" Ryan. :lol: Utter horseshit. Ryan is the very last thing they wanted and we all F'ing know it. :lol: Look, it's all they can say. I don't blame them, but it doesn't make them any less pathetic. It's a lie, and it's not even a very good one.

I forgot all about that classy move inviting Ryan to his front row seat public lashing. I bet he is dying for a chance to get revenge and this will only motivate him.

I understand what Ryan brings to the table for Romney - he helps keep this a 'big issue / it's the economy, stupid' election.

But if Romney wins, wouldn't it be better for him to have Ryan in the House getting budgets passed rather than being the occassional tie breaker in the Senate?

I forgot all about that classy move inviting Ryan to his front row seat public lashing. I bet he is dying for a chance to get revenge and this will only motivate him.

Yeah...there's been so many stories like this: remember the Beer summit, or the "stand next to the felon" photo op, or the Russian Reset Button? It's hard to keep all of them straight. Someone recently reminded me of the Beer summit. I forgot all about that.

But honestly? I doubt Ryan cares. Anybody can talk schit in situations where you can't or it isn't worth responding. I've left a decent sized trail of fools who've paid for their mouths on the field, legally, Never once thought it was worth it to fight some clown at the mall, movie theatre, or later, the bar, etc. I just laughed, asked them for their jersey number, and wrote it down. Never had that problem with the teams that could beat us. Only had it with the scrubs who had no chance.

Hence, the laughing from Ryan. He wasn't sitting there all pissed off, he was scoffing at these scrubs, and writing down their numbers.

Ryan may "defeat" Biden in a debate, but you guys are still dead wrong about an Obama-Romney debate. Easy "win" for Obama there.

Nope.

IF you recall correctly, Obama went 0-2-1 against McCain. All the polls, even the ones with (D) had McCain ahead as a result...and then the crash happened.

Now we can talk about where Romney stands in terms of McCain. But, I think Romney is quicker, smarter, but McCain had more "reps". :D

Perhaps the biggest myth in the history of politics is Obama and his team are good campaigners. No. They beat Hillary based on an inside straight draw = Obama being one of the very few Democratic Senators who didn't vote for the Iraq war. That war goes the other way, or is just marginal, Obama is still a "present"-voting Senator from Illinois, Hillary is probably President...and we wouldn't have half of the trouble we have now.

Obama was losing until the crash. And, Palin....Palin beat Biden. :lol: I know how much that sucks for you. I don't care at all, but it sucks for you, doesn't it? Or, do you not suffer from the pBills disease...whose chief symptom is giving Palin power, via not being able to shut up about her?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Easy "win" for Obama there.

Think again. It was "easy" for Obama in previous debates because all he had to do was smile next to the Tim Conway character, tie McCain to Bush, say shooby-dooby-dooby a few times, mumble something ridiculous like "hope" and "change" and presto-magico, the black man is president.

Romney ain't McCain, and Obama now has to talk about his clearly failed leadership: the worst economic recovery since...ummm....ever...the first ever downgrade of the country's credit, unemployment above 8% since, well, forever, and a debt he tripled when his "promise" was to cut it in half. Wearing an "I killed Bin Laden" t-shirt just isn't going to cut it.

Not to mention, we've seen Obama try to explain himself in an impromptu format lately. He can barely completely a full sentence with sounding like Biden any more.

But you keep telling yourself that Obama is a good debater.

Ryan may "defeat" Biden in a debate, but you guys are still dead wrong about an Obama-Romney debate. Easy "win" for Obama there.

Obama, a debater? Wow! He's just a package. Romney will comment on the need for fiscal responsibility and Obama will talk about the 57 states that are against Guam tipping over, the fact that natural gas is not a fossil fuel and that George Zimmermann stalked Trayvon like a psycho and shot him in cold blood. Gotcha.