Defensive Power Rankings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000047364/article/defensive-power-rankings-texans-niners-elite?module=HP11_content_stream

Middle of the pack: Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars and Washington Redskins

Buffalo has been so bad on defense for so long and they continue to adjust their scheme. I need to see it to believe it.

According to this article the Bills have the 17th best defense in the league. Now I know that they are just power rankings and someone elses opinion.. but I think its interesting. Does anyone think this defense deservest to be higher even though they haven't played a snap yet together?

http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

Middle of the pack: Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars and Washington Redskins

Buffalo has been so bad on defense for so long and they continue to adjust their scheme. I need to see it to believe it.

According to this article the Bills have the 17th best defense in the league. Now I know that they are just power rankings and someone elses opinion.. but I think its interesting. Does anyone think this defense deservest to be higher even though they haven't played a snap yet together?

Absolutely not, they look good on paper, but haven't proven anything on the field. Wasn't Philadelphia ranked #1 overall last season because of their off season moves?

When your offense is bottom of the barrel in converting 3rd downs and in going 3 and out, the defense is bound to be on the field longer. They likely will still be middle of the pack. Does not matter the Bills offense had lots of yards.

Edited by paintmyhouse

Philly is ranked #1 again this year (in Madden) for being a paper powerhouse. :)

paper powerhouse's is what Madden is all about and Philly must be monsters in a video game, although I do expect Philly to make the playoffs in actual football this year...

I don't care about other people's perception of The Bills. However, that said, Chan can not let this year's squad have a 5-6 game losing streak. That's unacceptable and could be grounds for termination. Chan's got the horses now. There can't be any excuses for lackluster play on the field. So I don't care if they end up ranked in the middle of the pack in both offense and defense - as long as they win and win often.

That's what they call answering your own question.

A power ranking is an opinion based on several factors, one of the main ones being recent history on the field. BUT--ultimately a preseason power ranking is a prediction of who is better right now based on the players, schemes, coaches and recent past. This Bills defense doesn't have a recent past. They were completely overhauled for all intents and purposes. There is no reason for them to not be ranked in the top five in a preseason poll if the author thinks there are only four teams that opening day are going to fare better.

For anyone saying they have to prove it on the field first in order to be considered good, that is absolutely true in the real world and in the standings and stat sheet and on the scoreboard. Not in a preseason power ranking. Last years preseason power rankings all said that Philly was the best team, and looked to be the best team on paper, because of their several acquisitions. A preseason power ranking is a prediction. The Bills should be given that same benefit of the doubt.

If you think the Bills are in the top five right now based on lineup, backups, scheme, and coaching, their defensive power ranking right now should be in the top five. If you think there is a decent chance they are NOT going to mesh and not going to live up to their potential and the sum is going to be less than their parts your ranking should reflect that and it should be lowered accordingly. If you predict there is a GOOD chance of that happening they should be ranked "in the middle of the pack"

IMO, this is a top ten defense, which could be higher.

Unfortunately, for the Bills, they do have to prove it when it comes to these rankings. There's *too much* bad history, to simply trust that they are good on paper.

To me it's the old Penn State linebacker syndrome. The media and fans just assigned goodness and greatness to players based on factors that had ZERO to do with them, which in that case was other white linebackers that attended and played for the same university. And more than not ended up failing because they should not have been awarded that extra factor of coming from Penn State other than the possibility they played for the same DC and LB coach who taught good fundamentals which helped their progress. The fact PSU had great linebackers earlier had no true bearing on the new linebackers.

The Bills defense sucked the last decade because they lacked the talent, especially up front, the pass rush, the strength up the middle, the depth, the scheme and the coaching. There is every reason to believe they have not only changed all of that, but fixed it. There is little to believe they haven't, regardless of old Bills defenses and their sucktitude.

If, say, we got all these new players but were still in the 3-4 with ill-equipped George Edwards running the show, there would be all kinds of reasons to predict or imagine it may not or will not mesh. Then you could say the recent past hasn't been addressed and there is a carryover. I don't see it.

I agree that the Bills haven't shown anything yet - it's all based on what they look like on paper. Considering none of the other teams have played a game, their ranking should also be based on what they look like on paper rather than what they've done on the field. If you're doing comparisons based on what teams look like on paper I don't see how the Bills are as low as 17 - 16 other teams look better on paper?

To me it's the old Penn State linebacker syndrome. The media and fans just assigned goodness and greatness to players based on factors that had ZERO to do with them, which in that case was other white linebackers that attended and played for the same university. And more than not ended up failing because they should not have been awarded that extra factor of coming from Penn State other than the possibility they played for the same DC and LB coach who taught good fundamentals which helped their progress. The fact PSU had great linebackers earlier had no true bearing on the new linebackers.

The Bills defense sucked the last decade because they lacked the talent, especially up front, the pass rush, the strength up the middle, the depth, the scheme and the coaching. There is every reason to believe they have not only changed all of that, but fixed it. There is little to believe they haven't, regardless of old Bills defenses and their sucktitude.

If, say, we got all these new players but were still in the 3-4 with ill-equipped George Edwards running the show, there would be all kinds of reasons to predict or imagine it may not or will not mesh. Then you could say the recent past hasn't been addressed and there is a carryover. I don't see it.

So what would your rankings look like Kelly?

So what would your rankings look like Kelly?

I would rank the Bills around 8-9 now. It's not as though there are no question marks. We're not sure how Sheppard is going to play. We're not sure if teams will be able to take advantage of Moats or Morrison, or Aaron Williams. I don't think Gilmore will struggle early but officials may not let him be so physical the first few games of his career. Kyle and Merriman are coming off injuries.

They could move quickly up to top five especially because first few games are not facing offensive juggernauts. It's not just Mario Williams. Anderson and Gilmore are huge additions. Wanny is an enormous upgrade. Kyle back, especially paired with Dareus who is no longer a rookie, compounded by the fact Wanny wants his DTs attacking the ball on every play is a big difference. The style of play of the four or five or six top DL should mesh very well. Byrd and Wilson are going to benefit as much as the LBers.

Because of all this, I think there is every reason to believe we will be very good right off the bat.

FWIW, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the power ranking, just that it's understandable. Frankly, before we play any games, it's all kind of pointless.

Well all power rankings are meaningless. Whether they are pointless, or whether they are just fun to read and debate is up to each fan. Personally I don't put any stock in them at all but they are fun to read when the team is doing well. They are no real indication of anything. You threw your hat into the ring by saying they had to prove themselves on the field in order for them to be higher ranked in a power rating. For you to then say power ratings are pointless is, well, pointless. ;)

Well all power rankings are meaningless. Whether they are pointless, or whether they are just fun to read and debate is up to each fan. Personally I don't put any stock in them at all but they are fun to read when the team is doing well. They are no real indication of anything. You threw your hat into the ring by saying they had to prove themselves on the field in order for them to be higher ranked in a power rating. For you to then say power ratings are pointless is, well, pointless. ;)

I said that because I understand the way the media views this team, due to our history. :)

It'll be interesting to see how our first team plays tonight against the Skins.

Last season is the only validation of the defenses performance on which to base judgment. So that is logically the starting point.

The bills brass did this two. The stregth was in the middle, the weakness was the corners, edges and pass rush.

They addressed the weaknesses through free agency, draft and adjusting the depth chart.

Now we go into the season and find out what weaknesses the opponents will attack, and how they hold up.

For example the new schemes zone will be easier to attack in the short middle. Nickel backer will be going against top TEs and rb's. Slot cb may not get as much lb help underneath. When you rush 4 everyone knows who's coming. Also attacking d linemen in wannys scheme are vulnerable to screens. Gilmore and Williams are going to be tested. Will they hold up. Will the front 4 jell?

With All the uncertainty it could be a top defense or maybe somewhere in between. Mario has got to be an upgrade over spencer Johnson. But will moats be over andra davis?

Hard to rank with all the questions...

Last season is the only validation of the defenses performance on which to base judgment. So that is logically the starting point.

The bills brass did this two. The stregth was in the middle, the weakness was the corners, edges and pass rush.

They addressed the weaknesses through free agency, draft and adjusting the depth chart.

Now we go into the season and find out what weaknesses the opponents will attack, and how they hold up.

For example the new schemes zone will be easier to attack in the short middle. Nickel backer will be going against top TEs and rb's. Slot cb may not get as much lb help underneath. When you rush 4 everyone knows who's coming. Also attacking d linemen in wannys scheme are vulnerable to screens. Gilmore and Williams are going to be tested. Will they hold up. Will the front 4 jell?

With All the uncertainty it could be a top defense or maybe somewhere in between. Mario has got to be an upgrade over spencer Johnson. But will moats be over andra davis?

Hard to rank with all the questions...