New stadium vs. Existing Stadium

I believe I read recently where Goodell made the statement that a new stadium for the Bills is a priority. This got me to thinking about what is so great about these new, and expensive, state of the art stadiums?

I mean, are all the fancy bells and whistles really enhancing the experience that much? Not even sure what bells & whistles these new arenas have, since I haven't been to one.

The Ralph could use more comfortable seating. Those bench seats and backs are outdated and hardly NFL-worthy, but I think they were designed to be able to pack as many people as possible into tight quarters.

One of the things that makes Bills homes games so great is the tailgating. It's an all day party communing with fellow fans. In a lot of those in-city stadiums (like here in Atlanta), tailgating is nearly non-existent.

So, I guess my real question is this: would the fans of Buffalo be better off with some fancy new stadium in a more urban atmosphere, or without so many luxurious interior appointments and keeping the tailgate tradition alive?

Buffalo is a blue collar town. The reason so many Canadians prefer keeping the team in OP is because the atmosphere is so much more festive than the sterile environment at The Rogers Center.

Someone help me out here. What is it that The Ralph needs so badly that Goodell thinks it's imperative to build a new stadium? I can even live with the crappy bench seats. Better that than $120/game tickets.

What do the new stadiums have (that The Ralph doesn't) that are so important? If it means trading in tailgating for unecessary "luxury", no thanks.

Edited by SDS

I haven't been to any "new" stadiums but I can tell you that shops, actual resturants (similar to Pettibones for the Bisons) and additional fanenities are all involved in these new stadiums. Think of what they did to the 200 level of HSBC for the Sabres. It's just an entire level of money making. Lots of open spots for tables while you watch the games. Bars. Vendors. I'm not saying that it really adds to the experience but it sure does make money.

I haven't been to any "new" stadiums but I can tell you that shops, actual resturants (similar to Pettibones for the Bisons) and additional fanenities are all involved in these new stadiums. Think of what they did to the 200 level of HSBC for the Sabres. It's just an entire level of money making. Lots of open spots for tables while you watch the games. Bars. Vendors. I'm not saying that it really adds to the experience but it sure does make money.

That's about what I thought. Sitting at tables and dining while watching the game, or rather, being distracted by all the periphial crap. Shops? bars? dining tables? Call me naive, but I don't get it. If I go to game, I don't really wanna shop. If I want the sports bar experience - guess what? - I'll save a couple hundred bucks and go to a friggin' sports bar.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd just rather sit among the cheering throng and feel like I'm outside breathing in the elements and cheering for the team down on the field. I don't want to be pampered at a sporting event. If I wanted a cozy relaxing experience, I'd stay home.

Not only would I not care about the pampering, shops, dining, etc - but would certainly not think to trade it at the expense of outta sight ticket prices and an urban setting where tailgating is limited or nonexistant.

Edited by SouthernMan

When I used to work for Ingram Micro, we had so many tix available to us at Sabres games it wasn't funny. I could go to any game, any night if I wanted to. We had so many tix we sometimes couldn't give them all away. I've been to many different seats and had many different experiences. I will start by saying that I don't think the experience, excitement, or play itself even comes close to a Bills game. The worst Bills game I've probably ever been at was that horrendous game agaist the Browns a few years ago under Dicky J and I was miserable but that still isn't as low on the list as some of the best Sabres games I've ever been to.

Sports in general however is going the way of business. They (especially the NFL) don't want drunk hooligan fans at the games. They want businessmen, families, children. It ensures the safety of the sport ad the longevity of the fanbase. Businessmen and corporations (like Ingram, Wegmans, Blue Shield, etc) spend more money in more expensive and comfortable seating. Spend huge dollars on catering (while spending time in the Ingram Box at HSBC I can personally vouch for hundreds of dollars in catering in just one game). Families go to games and spend family size paycheck on tickets, food, drinks and souvineers. Kids being at the ges ensure that future growth of the team and league will be provided.

The league, owners, staffs of NFL teams don't want bad publicity of drunk drivers killing people while driving home. They don't want parking lots trashed with garbage and potholes made from burning garbage cans or gallons of hot oil from fryers. They want to keep things corporate. They want to hold tailgate parties where they can charge you for drinks and limit your consumption to tolerable limits.

That's all I got. It's happening everywhere. I have never been to the SB or have ever had a chance to go but I know people I used tonwork with that have went and it's more corporate than anything we as Bills fans have ever imagined.

personally i just wish that they would upgrade the credit card machines, they should be swiping not punching in the numbers. it would make those concession areas move a lot faster. I mean seriously why the !@#$ are they using calculators to add up everything as well..

The league, owners, staffs of NFL teams don't want bad publicity of drunk drivers killing people while driving home. They don't want parking lots trashed with garbage and potholes made from burning garbage cans or gallons of hot oil from fryers. They want to keep things corporate. They want to hold tailgate parties where they can charge you for drinks and limit your consumption to tolerable limits.

This is really what its about too I think. In most cities with big fancy new stadiums, the ticket prices are so high that an average drunk can't afford to go to the game.

I have been to several new stadiums including Houston's, Seattle's, and Detroit's (Super Bowl XL). The Detroit one was the most extravagant. I like going to games at the Ralph more because of the environment in the parking lot before the game and fans at the game. In Seattle, it is illegal to have alcohol in the parking lot. Some fans do, but walking through the parking lot to get the game is snooze city. I've never seen anyone turkey bowling or taking shots out of a bowling ball there.

My brother and I who is a used to be a Cowboys fan \ was looking at the Ralph on the internet and said he thought it was really cool that it didn't have all the bs stuff like the Boss Hogg Dome does.

I really think the NFL is blowing it big time by trying to make going to game more like watching it on TV.

But really, a lot of it is all about pricing out the hooligans. That's what they're doing in San Fran now.

I hope the Bills tell Goodell to mind his own business and we keep the Bills and the Ralph in buffalo.

So many great ideas, you guys.

However, it is located downtown, there is no shopping mall attached and it is a lot to put into for 7 regular seasons games a year.

Please understand I do really love the ideas, but I just don't think it works for the given location.

I am not offering this as an idea or even a hypothetical, but if a new stadium was tied into the Walden Galleria...then there would be tremendous money making potential.

Hate to break it to you, but RWS sucks.

- Not enough gates to enter

- Not enough bathrooms and most of the men's rooms have one door to enter and leave through. Becuase it is a county owned facility there are the same number of mens and womens rooms, despite the fact that men significantly out number women at the game.

- One video scoreboard - enough said

- Terrible concessions

- Half of it is underground which makes the stadium a million times colder on windy days

- It is in Orchard Park - since the team is regional and depends heavily on attendance from Rochester and Southern Ontario it is a terrible location. Lancaster would have been much better, as was originally intended.

Other than that it is swell.

I've been to the "new" soldier field several times. GREAT sight lines. All the bells and whistles are nice. But the ticket prices and PSL's are outrageous! The stadium is right downtown and there is PLENTY of tailgating going on. With that said. Give me the old Soldier Field or even the Ralph and I'm fine.

I think Goodell says the Bills need a new one simply because he probably knows that for us (or any team), we need the revenue it would generate long term. I do think he is really looking at that. Obviously it's a double edged sword.

Edited by Cville Bills

Hate to break it to you, but RWS sucks.

- Not enough gates to enter

- Not enough bathrooms and most of the men's rooms have one door to enter and leave through. Becuase it is a county owned facility there are the same number of mens and womens rooms, despite the fact that men significantly out number women at the game.

- One video scoreboard - enough said

- Terrible concessions

- Half of it is underground which makes the stadium a million times colder on windy days

- It is in Orchard Park - since the team is regional and depends heavily on attendance from Rochester and Southern Ontario it is a terrible location. Lancaster would have been much better, as was originally intended.

Other than that it is swell.

I bet people love to invite you to parties.

I've never minded the Ralph. Between tailgating and screaming my head off when the other team has the ball I don't think I see much outside of the field, my beer and the high fives from other fans, and really couldnt care much. They have to catch up to other cities sooner or later though. I've wondered why there hasn't been more talk of the possibility of building on or right near the waterfront. Plenty of space that might be able to keep tailgating alive while not interfering too much with other waterfront development. I feel like this was briefly brought up some time ago but shot down quicky... anyone know why?

New stadiums tend to boost development of an area. The more fan "stuff" you have, the more reason fans hang around an area, and the more events can be had, businesses see that and start developing around that, and so on and so forth. Don't underestimate what a nice stadium can do for an area.

I believe I read recently where Goodell made the statement that a new stadium for the Bills is a priority.

Roger Goodell has never said any such thing.

he has said negotiating a new lease with Erie County is a priority. he has said fan's continued support of the Bills is a priority. i'm sure he's probably sent something by priority mail.

but he's never uttered what you suggest he has publicly. ever.

jw

If the Bills were ever to get a new stadium (or, better yet, when they upgrade The Ralph) here are the few things I think we could use...

- Bigger concourses; obviously this one is an issue and a big reason why they're trying to get funding for upgrades

- Better concessions: Do what most other sports entities are doing and bring in the local culture! The Bills should have partnership deals with Mighty Taco, Ted's, Jim's Steak Out, Anchor Bar and others. No reason to have only crappy hot dogs at games...

- Bathrooms: Less troughs and peeing in the sink, more urinals

- More clarity on seating: Unless you know how the seats are numbered (1 - 30), its difficult for a first timer to enter since you can get to, say, section 300 from both the right and the left; this is a minor thing, but simple enough to fix...

- Big screen on the tunnel side: 'Nuff said

- WiFi: In today's stat / fantasy crazy world, this would be big for fans

IMO we don't need a full-on new stadium, just a few upgrades and the Ralph could be even better (I won't say "one of the best" since it already is)!

- Better concessions: Do what most other sports entities are doing and bring in the local culture! The Bills should have partnership deals with Mighty Taco, Ted's, Jim's Steak Out, Anchor Bar and others. No reason to have only crappy hot dogs at games...

As an out of town-er, I'd love, love, love to see this when I go to Bills games.

I always thought the outer harbor would be a great location. There is a ton of land and it would spur additional development. Any new stadium would need a roof - retractable or not. It is ludicrous that RWS really only gets used 9 times a year. A new building would have to be able to accomodate conventions, concerts etc...