Morrison V Moats

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morrison, Moats, and Bradham all fit the same mold. 6-2 and 240-250. At the end of the day, I don't care who the starter at OLB. I just hope that the Bills are putting a good product on the field. My understanding right now is that the depth chart reads in that order. Regarding Sheppard, he's only played MLB his entire college career. Suggesting moving him to OLB would be about the same as saying they're suddenly going to make Spiller a slot receiver. It's just not grounded by any facts.

Guys, just because a player plays one position in college doesn't mean he is going to impact at that position in the NFL. Moats was a DE, right? I'm not a big Sheppard fan, I like him on the outside because I don't think he takes good angles and hesitates too much and gets caught up in the wash. On the outside he doesn't have to worry about angles and its more obvious when a play is coming at him. He is talented but, from what I saw last year & in camp, the Bills are forcing this issue. In fact I think Barnett would be better in the middle. I like Sheppard but I don't feel he is a good fit as a MLB in the NFL. There I said it out loud. LOL

If you think Shep gets caught taking bad angles at MLB, what makes you think he won't take bad angles at OLB? Not that this males Shep any better at OLB bs MLB if what you think is true but of he takes bad angles at the middle against mostly the run, he will be horrible trying to cut the angles and keep with TEs, RBs, and FBs coming out on passing downs.

I personally think he'll be fine at MLB and regardless, I think the coaches that scouted him, coached him in the Senior Bowl, drafted him, and coached him last year to the point where they had him starting in thier 1st year in the league knows what he's capable of.

I get the feeling then that morrison will not make it over chris white. if he cant win the starting job then this tells me his skills have eroded somewhat and it wiser to hang on to white who is ascending...

Or he could be valuable veteran depth.

Kind of had a feeling it may happen by chans gushing over moats the other day. Seems like his position to lose now. Its time to see what morrison has in the middle of his chest. You gotta want it Kirk!

Edited by LVBillsBackr

I get the feeling then that morrison will not make it over chris white. if he cant win the starting job then this tells me his skills have eroded somewhat and it wiser to hang on to white who is ascending...

This is the kind of thing I don't get. We worry about their lack of depth at a position and then in the same breath want to cut a vet who's had a bunch of very productive years in the league in favor of a late round pick who has barely played in his half season in the NFL. This isn't directed specifically at you, so don't take it the wrong way. It just seems like everytime a young guy shows some promise or we bring somebody else aboard, the mentality is to automatically want to cut somebody. If Moats wins the job, tere is no viable reason to not keep Morrison and his veteran experience around as the 4th LB.

Guys, just because a player plays one position in college doesn't mean he is going to impact at that position in the NFL. Moats was a DE, right? I'm not a big Sheppard fan, I like him on the outside because I don't think he takes good angles and hesitates too much and gets caught up in the wash. On the outside he doesn't have to worry about angles and its more obvious when a play is coming at him. He is talented but, from what I saw last year & in camp, the Bills are forcing this issue. In fact I think Barnett would be better in the middle. I like Sheppard but I don't feel he is a good fit as a MLB in the NFL. There I said it out loud. LOL

I firmly believe that the "hesitation" was a result of Edwards coaching.....he was not hesitating when he first got onto the field........but it started happening as time went on.

Lets see what happens in this new defense

well we have a few guys that can play middle. Shep. Barnett (played most of his career there) and maybe morrison. Outside LB is where we are thin. Our depth are Moats and some rookies. If we can stay healthy there we'll be fine but if guys get injured, that's when I'll start to worry. Tank might be someone who can provide solid depth as the season progresses.

And to the other poster, thanks for clarifying things on Merriman; makes sense.

A lot of thoughts come to mind on this topic. First off, Morrison was considered a very good 4-3 OLB just two years ago, and had produced very respectable stats for a number of years. He isn't old by NFL standards; actually, he is in his prime when it comes to linebacker age, I'd say - so, there is no reason to believe he'll be a weak spot. He might prove to be average, but I don't think he'll end up making a lot of bad plays for us.

Now, I was worried when we switched over to the 4-3 that we'd lose 2 players in particular, who I had high hopes for, and who were drafted with the 3-4 in mind - Moats and Carrington. I did wonder if we'd be able to convert Moats to an OLB and Carrington to a DE - which he played in college. We'll see on them, but I'm hoping that Moats can pull it off, even if it is as a situational pass rushing OLB. My opinion is this - the right kind of 4-3 trumps the 3-4 scheme; as long as the players in the 4-3 aren't too small. One thing with Buddy so far - he likes big men. I like that!

As for switching Sheppard to OLB and drafting a MLB next year - I'm with the others here who suggest he is in his natural positoin. The good thing about that is, if he proves he cannot be a good starter, he is only a 3rd rounder. We could still draft a superstar MLB - something that is pretty important to a great defense - and use Sheppard as an above average backup. And, if Sheppard proves he's up for it, with players like Bradham - who I think is going to be very good - and Carder, another promising player, these young guys will be playing with passion next offseason and will prevent the vets from complacency.

A lot of people have looked at our LB corps as the weak link in this defense. Injuries could make any unit vulnerable, but if we stay healthy, I think being able to rotate guys like Moats, Bradham, and Carder into games, and having Scott as the pass coverage LB, makes our group very versatile. We'll see how it pans out - but if I had to choose which LB would be starting - I like the idea of having a big, QB killing OLB over there (to be honest, though, I'm hoping Bradham ends up with the full time role, as I think he is the best talent of them all).

I'm happy to see Moats take the lead. The man spends a lot of time trying to be part of the community and he certainly has been moved around a lot. I'd like to see him stay where he is.

For people who are worried about our LB situation, I would like to mention one thing: our nickel D. Last season we played half of our snaps in it, which is going to mean pulling two LB off the field to put in Scott and our slot corner. LB may not be a strength, but it shouldn't be too big a weakness.

If you think Shep gets caught taking bad angles at MLB, what makes you think he won't take bad angles at OLB? Not that this males Shep any better at OLB bs MLB if what you think is true but of he takes bad angles at the middle against mostly the run, he will be horrible trying to cut the angles and keep with TEs, RBs, and FBs coming out on passing downs.

I personally think he'll be fine at MLB and regardless, I think the coaches that scouted him, coached him in the Senior Bowl, drafted him, and coached him last year to the point where they had him starting in thier 1st year in the league knows what he's capable of.

Profootballfocus has calculated only ONE missed tackle all of last year for Shep.

I'm happy to see Moats take the lead. The man spends a lot of time trying to be part of the community and he certainly has been moved around a lot. I'd like to see him stay where he is.

For people who are worried about our LB situation, I would like to mention one thing: our nickel D. Last season we played half of our snaps in it, which is going to mean pulling two LB off the field to put in Scott and our slot corner. LB may not be a strength, but it shouldn't be too big a weakness.

I think you make some very fair points here. Especially with regard to the sheer amount of nickel/dime coverages we used.

As to Moats, I've been his toughest critic since his arrival. I'm hoping he makes me eat my words. Like you say he's a good man and it would be nice to see his hard work pay off.

GO BILLS!!!