Why does the media automatically assume the Pats will win the AFC East

Yeah - choosing the Patriots to win the division is a pretty rational, logical thing to do. I'm a huge Bills fan, and I believe we are capable of beating the Patriots at least once this year, and I think we're 50/50 both games, actually - BUT, the Patriots are regularly winning 12 games a year, AND THEIR SCHEDULE IS RIDICULOUSLY EASY this year. Even if we swept them, they'd still probably finish with 12 or 13 wins. All this is assuming everyone stays healthy.

Anyway, I think we'll be a much better team this year, and I think if we make the playoffs we're just as likely to go all the way as any other team. But, I think it is also likely we'll have a difficult time with at least a handful of teams this season, since we are so young, and because we aren't used to winning week in and out. I'm picking us to win 11 games this year. I just happen to think the Patriots will win 13. I hope I'm wrong about that and we win more than they do - but for us to be a favorite to win the division I think we'd have to be looking at 13 or more wins, and who really thinks we're going to do that this year?

Again - I hope so, but we've got a lot to prove along the way.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how this is even a question. The patriots are assumed to win the AFC East because:

- They have won the division 8 of the last 10 years (and yes, those past results do predict future success)

- They have by far the best QB in the division

- They have by far the best coach in the division

- They have the easiest schedule in the NFL this year

Other supporting facts:

- They went to the Superbowl last year

- Its hard to imagine their defense being worse than it was last year

- They added weapons to an already loaded offense (lloyd, stallworth)

I'm not trying to bash on the bills.. these are all facts people. I'd like to see someone put together a resume like that for any other team in the AFC East..

That's a wrap.

GO BILLS!!!

Not sure how this is even a question. The patriots are assumed to win the AFC East because:

- They have won the division 8 of the last 10 years (and yes, those past results do predict future success)

Other supporting facts:

I'm not trying to bash on the bills.. these are all facts people. I'd like to see someone put together a resume like that for any other team in the AFC East..

So, if this was the market, who's stock would YOU buy and who's stock would YOU sell? We ain't bettin' on the games that were already played.

Conservatives often hold onto things for too long, ending up with a truckload of devalued certificates, while the forward looking competition becomes the big kid on the block.

But that said, the Cheatriettes* are pretty good again this year.

Wow, you make less and less sense every time you type something. You keep saying they beat bad teams to try and make them look worse to somehow make the Bills appear stronger, and you are failing on all levels. THere were 6 teams that could have been 9-7 had they beat the Patriots, which is, I guess, a winning record. A 9-7 team won the freaking Super Bowl the last two seasons. You cannot say the Patriots just be a lot of average teams and cannot beat anyone good, that makes no sense at all, I listed all those teams a few posts ago.

8-8 is literally the definition of average. You're implying the Patriots single victory against those teams caused their 8 total losses. I guess you're right, that proves the Pats are great.

:blink:

You're making just as little sense with each post as you did with your first, so that's something.

Other supporting facts:

THIS is the case for the Pats--- not the bull **** ramblings of a (*^*&%^$^#troll.

Giants were 1-3 in regular season against teams with a winning record. Patriots were 0-2. Know who Giants beat in the regular season? You guys can gang up all you want. Only 12 teams won more than they lost, 7 teams were 8-8, that makes 8-8 teams be top 15 teams then. The AFC East sucked, hence no games versus those teams. On the other hand, Ravens were 6-1 against teams with winning records, Steelers were 4-4. This thread was about why are the Patriots still viewed as the #1 team in the AFC by everyone. It is because the PAtriots beat a lot of good teams, and they still have a good team, and they also improved their defense, and they won 13 last year and 2nd place was 8!!!!

Other supporting facts:

Don't get me wrong, all of your points are valid. But the Pats are not the dominant force they used to be.

-Yes Belichek is a great coach, but as a GM, his drafts haven't been nowhere near as good as they were when Pioli & Dimitroff were in charge

-The Pats haven't won a Superbowl since Crennel & Weiss left

-The Pats defense is bad, especially their secondary. Only time will tell if their draft picks this season will pan out.

-The Pats lost 2 players on their O-line this offseason. This could be a huge chink in the armor, as Brady could take a pounding this year.

-The Pats have no running game.

-(see the above comments for the rest, don't want to sound like a broken record like the troll on here)

Is it possible the Pats could win the AFC east again, absolutely, the odds are in their favor. But, is it definite that they will, like others in the media think so...No!!

Giants were 1-3 in regular season against teams with a winning record. Patriots were 0-2. Know who Giants beat in the regular season? You guys can gang up all you want. Only 12 teams won more than they lost, 7 teams were 8-8, that makes 8-8 teams be top 15 teams then. The AFC East sucked, hence no games versus those teams. On the other hand, Ravens were 6-1 against teams with winning records, Steelers were 4-4. This thread was about why are the Patriots still viewed as the #1 team in the AFC by everyone. It is because the PAtriots beat a lot of good teams, and they still have a good team, and they also improved their defense, and they won 13 last year and 2nd place was 8!!!!

Anyone with half a brain knows why the Patriots* are favored to win the division. They are a great team on offense.

Anyone with BOTH halves of a brain also understands that the Patriots* didn't single-handedly prevent .500 teams from being winning teams because they beat them when any other single loss by those teams to any other team did the same thing.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Don't get me wrong, all of your points are valid. But the Pats are not the dominant force they used to be.

-Yes Belichek is a great coach, but as a GM, his drafts haven't been nowhere near as good as they were when Pioli & Dimitroff were in charge

-The Pats haven't won a Superbowl since Crennel & Weiss left

-The Pats defense is bad, especially their secondary. Only time will tell if their draft picks this season will pan out.

-The Pats lost 2 players on their O-line this offseason. This could be a huge chink in the armor, as Brady could take a pounding this year.

-The Pats have no running game.

-(see the above comments for the rest, don't want to sound like a broken record like the troll on here)

Is it possible the Pats could win the AFC east again, absolutely, the odds are in their favor. But, is it definite that they will, like others in the media think so...No!!

- Belichek has had some bad drafts on the defensive side of the ball.. but the offense remains as good as ever with picks like gronk and hernandez

- They haven't won a superbowl.. but they have been to 2, which is more than most teams can say

- The defense gives up a lot of yards, but they are actually middle of the pack in terms of points against

- O-line will definitely take a hit.. but they do have 2 pretty promising young tackles in Soldier and Volmer

- The pats short passing game is their running game

I agree with you.. its possible that the pats don't win the division.. but they absolutely should be the favorite to do so.

So, if this was the market, who's stock would YOU buy and who's stock would YOU sell? We ain't bettin' on the games that were already played.

Conservatives often hold onto things for too long, ending up with a truckload of devalued certificates, while the forward looking competition becomes the big kid on the block.

But that said, the Cheatriettes* are pretty good again this year.

Well in terms of a "market" the patriots are a cash cow right now. They'll probably be a top stock for the next 5 years before they start to decline. The Bills stock is definitely on the rise.. but they have to win to go up anymore.

Edited by Billsrhody

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19731181/two-bills-drive

"Now let's get something straight: I'm not saying the Bills are going to the top of the AFC East, because they're not. New England is."

"That's the idea now in Buffalo: Squeeze the pocket, hurry the quarterback, force the turnovers and shorten the field for Fitzpatrick and the offense. Oh, yeah, one more thing: Catch New England. No, I don't see the Bills doing it, either, but I do see them winning more than they lose and maybe, just maybe, returning to the playoffs."

It seems that these so called experts in the media think it's automatic to crown the Pats every year as the AFC division champs. Now, don't get me wrong, the Pats have been division winners for a while now. They have Tom Brady, who is arguably the best QB of our generation, as well as making it to the Superbowl last season. But, they're not the dominant force that they once were when they won 3 superbowls.

Let's look at last season. The only team the Pats beat with a winning record last season was the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. IMO, the Ravens "shot themselves in the foot" twice in that game.

Next, the Bills snapped the 15-game losing skid to the Pats. Now I could see the media's point if the Bills didn't win that game that you could assume the Pats would win the division, now you can't make that assumption. Last year's defense was terrible under George Edwards, in which they gave up tons of yards and points to opposing offenses, but yet, they beat the AFC champs. Now, add in one of the better defensive coordinators in the league [Wannstedt], plus the additions of Mario Williams, Mark Anderson, a returning & healthy Kyle Williams, along with Marcell Dareus, not only do I feel a wild card spot if possible, but winning the AFC East is a very good possibility. The Giants showed twice in the Superbowl that pressure is the key to beating Brady. The Bills beat Brady last season, just by shortening the pocket and getting hands up in the throwing lane. Now, Brady will have to face the same similiar type of pressure twice a year that the Giants gave them in the Superbowl. On top of that, the Pats had 2 Offensive linemen retire during the offseason, that's another reason to believe that the Pats aren't the invincible force that they used to be.

Tom Brady and Bill Bellichick. That's yer answer!

But by posting on this site, you ARE making an investment. You could very well be spending your valuable time doing just about anything else, even going to teams that are the flavor of the day.

I'd like a break from everyone that says I'm not ready to 'trust' or 'invest' in the team and then go out and buy every piece of Bills gear, season tickets, TV package and read every article out there. You're all just saying these things to protect your beaten ego's and covering your a$$e$.

btw, dabbler, if a stock has done poorly over an amount of time, it is probably priced to buy. Get it NOW before the price goes up based on the report that the Bills got better. oops, too late for you. My guess is that you and all the other so-called "Bills fans" will jump on board when the wins start piling on.

Me? I got a ticket and a nice plush seat.

Please Don't mischaracterize my intent. I am merely arguing why the media at large with a professional obligation of neutrality would project new england as the division champ. If I were objective, that would be the clear arguement.

Obviously as a poster, ps3 DTV ticket subscriber, fitz chan nix advocate and owner of the new Nike sj13 jersey I am just as sick as all the other eternal optimists always ready for this to be their year.

As for investing there is a big difference between buying a good company who's stock is down, say New Orleans and one that is mired in a decade long slump with no tangible evidence of recovery say, Seattle.

Let's take off the Bills glasses. If someone asked who is going to win the NFC north, would you say Packers or Vikings? Cmon man.

Lions or Bears.

To add to this, the Lions were in the Bills shoes (so to speak) last season in regards their long playoff drought. People could see that something special could happen in Detroit, with their defensive line and the talent had on offense.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Lions or Bears.

To add to this, the Lions were in the Bills shoes (so to speak) last season in regards their long playoff drought. People could see that something special could happen in Detroit, with their defensive line and the talent had on offense.

Lions? Beating the PAck for the division? Or the Bears??

Crazy, but goes along with the theme of this thread.

Please Don't mischaracterize my intent. I am merely arguing why the media at large with a professional obligation of neutrality would project new england as the division champ. If I were objective, that would be the clear arguement.

Obviously as a poster, ps3 DTV ticket subscriber, fitz chan nix advocate and owner of the new Nike sj13 jersey I am just as sick as all the other eternal optimists always ready for this to be their year.

As for investing there is a big difference between buying a good company who's stock is down, say New Orleans and one that is mired in a decade long slump with no tangible evidence of recovery say, Seattle.

I just think of it as nothing but entertainment. ESPN is owned by Disney, is owned by... I don't believe they are obligated to anyone but the ad dept's of their commercial sponsors. The media are just doing what they've done for ages, selling papers. It's our version of standing next to the guy shouting "EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT!!". It's freakin' annoying after a while.

WE get carried away with it because it is one of the best distractions out there AND gives us shared experience and a common bond with our peers.

So, do yourself a favor, turn the TV off, click on TBD and let the REAL pro's give you the scoop along with a dose of Bills camaraderie and good humor. (with the occasional troll popping up just to keep us honest)

The Pats came within a hair of winning the SB last year with the 31st ranked defense. Think about that. Then they added (at least) three great young players to their D via the draft, and added a vertical playmaker in Lloyd who knows the offense. They have every reason to be optimistic heading into this season.

Plus, no writer is gonna go out on a limb at this point and predict their downfall.

This writer will. NE is going down.

white noise

The Patriots had a nearly unstoppable offense--- it can be argued that an injury which severely limited Rob Gronkowski's effectiveness was the difference in the Super Bowl. It doesn't make the Giants victory "flukey" but it certainly contributed to the game's outcome.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19731181/two-bills-drive

"Now let's get something straight: I'm not saying the Bills are going to the top of the AFC East, because they're not. New England is."

"That's the idea now in Buffalo: Squeeze the pocket, hurry the quarterback, force the turnovers and shorten the field for Fitzpatrick and the offense. Oh, yeah, one more thing: Catch New England. No, I don't see the Bills doing it, either, but I do see them winning more than they lose and maybe, just maybe, returning to the playoffs."

It seems that these so called experts in the media think it's automatic to crown the Pats every year as the AFC division champs. Now, don't get me wrong, the Pats have been division winners for a while now. They have Tom Brady, who is arguably the best QB of our generation, as well as making it to the Superbowl last season. But, they're not the dominant force that they once were when they won 3 superbowls.

Let's look at last season. The only team the Pats beat with a winning record last season was the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. IMO, the Ravens "shot themselves in the foot" twice in that game.

Next, the Bills snapped the 15-game losing skid to the Pats. Now I could see the media's point if the Bills didn't win that game that you could assume the Pats would win the division, now you can't make that assumption. Last year's defense was terrible under George Edwards, in which they gave up tons of yards and points to opposing offenses, but yet, they beat the AFC champs. Now, add in one of the better defensive coordinators in the league [Wannstedt], plus the additions of Mario Williams, Mark Anderson, a returning & healthy Kyle Williams, along with Marcell Dareus, not only do I feel a wild card spot if possible, but winning the AFC East is a very good possibility. The Giants showed twice in the Superbowl that pressure is the key to beating Brady. The Bills beat Brady last season, just by shortening the pocket and getting hands up in the throwing lane. Now, Brady will have to face the same similiar type of pressure twice a year that the Giants gave them in the Superbowl. On top of that, the Pats had 2 Offensive linemen retire during the offseason, that's another reason to believe that the Pats aren't the invincible force that they used to be.

This isnt rocket science...

NE = Proven and established as they have already proven to be an ELITE team competing for the SB based on last year and they only got better this offseason.

Buff = Everything still to prove. We have had a great offseason, but so did Philly last year and it didnt mean much come regular season.

So until we have prove it out on the field, NE is still the defending AFC East Champs, Defending AFC Champs, and expected AFC East divisional winner based on the fact its believed they improved their roster over last years SB roster. I don't know anyone who honestly expects us to win the division this year, but at the same time most of them feel like we have the potential to challenge for it and for a playoff spot.

I have no problem with this because we have proven nothing other than that we were a 6 win team last year. I am as big of a Bills fan as anyone, and I fully expect a big year and playoffs from the Bills (maybe even deep playoffs or SB if things go right), but even so, I still think we will more than likely finish behind NE this year in the divisional standings (although I think we could beat them in the playoffs). Why...because NE has a 13-14 win team IMO and as good as I think the Bills can be THIS year, I just don't think it will be 13+ wins. I do however feel like we will win between 10 and 12 games and will be one very dangerous team in the playoffs. I also feel like at least one of NE's losses will be to the Bills. But looking at NE's schedule, I still see 13+ wins which IMO would equal the division crown.

That being said, I definitely won't be surprised if we did win the division this year as I think we have a lot of talent on this team now. The main reason I don't EXPECT it this year is 2 fold...one, like I said, I think NE wins 13+ games this year, making the margin of error to steal the division from them this year very small. Two, we are very young at some very important positions. I think the young talent has a mountain of potential, but at the same time they will have their ups and downs as they adjust to the NFL or being a starter. We have the rookies of course, but also inexperienced starters like A. Williams, Hairston, Shepperd, and whoever wins the #2 and #3 WR positions.

So, I think NE at this point should be the favorites to win the division until we prove otherwise. And like I said, I think we can do it, but being possible and being the favorites to do it are two different things.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This isnt rocket science...

NE = Proven and established as they have already proven to be an ELITE team competing for the SB based on last year and they only got better this offseason.

Buff = Everything still to prove. We have had a great offseason, but so did Philly last year and it didnt mean much come regular season.

So until we have prove it out on the field, NE is still the defending AFC East Champs, Defending AFC Champs, and expected AFC East divisional winner based on the fact its believed they improved their roster over last years SB roster. I don't know anyone who honestly expects us to win the division this year, but at the same time most of them feel like we have the potential to challenge for it and for a playoff spot.

I have no problem with this because we have proven nothing other than that we were a 6 win team last year. I am as big of a Bills fan as anyone, and I fully expect a big year and playoffs from the Bills (maybe even deep playoffs or SB if things go right), but even so, I still think we will more than likely finish behind NE this year in the divisional standings (although I think we could beat them in the playoffs). Why...because NE has a 13-14 win team IMO and as good as I think the Bills can be THIS year, I just don't think it will be 13+ wins. I do however feel like we will win between 10 and 12 games and will be one very dangerous team in the playoffs. I also feel like at least one of NE's losses will be to the Bills. But looking at NE's schedule, I still see 13+ wins which IMO would equal the division crown.

That being said, I definitely won't be surprised if we did win the division this year as I think we have a lot of talent on this team now. The main reason I don't EXPECT it this year is 2 fold...one, like I said, I think NE wins 13+ games this year, making the margin of error to steal the division from them this year very small. Two, we are very young at some very important positions. I think the young talent has a mountain of potential, but at the same time they will have their ups and downs as they adjust to the NFL or being a starter. We have the rookies of course, but also inexperienced starters like A. Williams, Hairston, Shepperd, and whoever wins the #2 and #3 WR positions.

So, I think NE at this point should be the favorites to win the division until we prove otherwise. And like I said, I think we can do it, but being possible and being the favorites to do it are two different things.

Alpha,

You have valid points, but the improvements you talk about with NE can be said about any team, right now these improvements look good on paper, but nothing has been proven on the field. While everyone knows the Pats are the favorites to win the AFC East, people (like Clark Judge) shouldn't automatically come out and say that they will definitely win the division for sure. For example, before the 2011 season began, how many people expected the Bengals to make the playoffs last season? To add to that, after the Steelers went to the Superbowl, how many people expected the Ravens to beat the Steelers twice and win the division?