Why does the media automatically assume the Pats will win the AFC East

Alpha,

You have valid points, but the improvements you talk about with NE can be said about any team, right now these improvements look good on paper, but nothing has been proven on the field. While everyone knows the Pats are the favorites to win the AFC East, people (like Clark Judge) shouldn't automatically come out and say that they will definitely win the division for sure. For example, before the 2011 season began, how many people expected the Bengals to make the playoffs last season? To add to that, after the Steelers went to the Superbowl, how many people expected the Ravens to beat the Steelers twice and win the division?

I hear ya, but its not about certainty, its about favorites or expected out comes. At this point in the season, the favorites are NE. They are the expected winner of the division...all of which means nothing at the end of the day.

If I was writing a column and I had to choose an AFC East divisional champ I would also say its going to be NE. No reason to believe otherwise. Jets are a mess, Mia is rebuilding, and we are an up and coming team with a lot of question marks despite our very impressive offseason. Is Fitz going to rebound? Who are the WR's behind SJ (none of which scare people on paper at this point)? Can our young DB's be consistent? Can Sheppard man the middle? Can our team stay healthy? Who is going to be the LT and can they be consistent being so young (Hairston or Glenn)?...etc, etc. NE does not have those kinds of critical questions. Yes every team has question marks or holes, but NE is returning a SB squad and we are out to prove we have turned a corner.

NE brings back the essentials of their team and adds more weapons. So I understand your point that you can say that about any team (they got better in the offseason), but the key point is NE didn't lose anything to suggest they will fall off even if the new pieces dont improve the team. This is a team that has dominated for a decade and they are returning all their key players, coaches, and also added more talent on the D and more weapons on offense. So, while you can say that about any team, what you can't say about the majority of the teams is that they are a team of a decade of dominance returning a SB squad.

That is the difference. We are one of those "any teams" right now who look like we got better, but have yet to prove it. NE has proved their abilities for over a decade with 5 SB visits, 3 SB championships, and the division crown for what seems like forever.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats* are for sure the favorite but its not a lock. Their D has been consistently terrible the last few years and while investing their top 3 picks into it they have lost more proven starters and their second rounder was viewed as an enormous reach, so there isn't exactly a guarantee that it will be improved.

Their offense's biggest issue last season was lacking a deep threat on the outside. Well to address that situation they added Brandon Lloyd, while a nice player he isn't that traditional burner and his numbers throughout his career are very inconsistent. And now their O-line is actually pretty suspect with Mankins and Vollmer on the PUP and Waters and Gallery MIA and retired their O-line isn't looking like such a sure thing.

The Pats* deserve to be the favorites, no disputing that, to be the man you got to beat the man. But are they a lock? Not so fast their roster has a significant amount of holes in it.

I hear ya, but its not about certainty, its about favorites or expected out comes. At this point in the season, the favorites are NE. They are the expected winner of the division...all of which means nothing at the end of the day.

If I was writing a column and I had to choose an AFC East divisional champ I would also say its going to be NE. No reason to believe otherwise. Jets are a mess, Mia is rebuilding, and we are an up and coming team with a lot of question marks despite our very impressive offseason. Is Fitz going to rebound? Who are the WR's behind SJ (none of which scare people on paper at this point)? Can our young DB's be consistent? Can Sheppard man the middle? Can our team stay healthy? Who is going to be the LT and can they be consistent being so young (Hairston or Glenn)?...etc, etc. NE does not have those kinds of critical questions. Yes every team has question marks or holes, but NE is returning a SB squad and we are out to prove we have turned a corner.

NE brings back the essentials of their team and adds more weapons. So I understand your point that you can say that about any team (they got better in the offseason), but the key point is NE didn't lose anything to suggest they will fall off even if the new pieces dont improve the team. This is a team that has dominated for a decade and they are returning all their key players, coaches, and also added more talent on the D and more weapons on offense. So, while you can say that about any team, what you can't say about the majority of the teams is that they are a team of a decade of dominance returning a SB squad.

That is the difference. We are one of those "any teams" right now who look like we got better, but have yet to prove it. NE has proved their abilities for over a decade with 5 SB visits, 3 SB championships, and the division crown for what seems like forever.

Like billsfan89 pointed out, the Pats O-line has many holes, especially with 2 O-linemen retiring this offseason. If the new Bills D line is as good as it appears to be, then the Bills will get a lot of hits/sacks/pressure on Brady. Once this happens, Belichek will have to double team at least 2 to 3 players on the D-line. If it's 2 players double-teamed, then that leaves 7 Bills defenders covering 4 Patriot players. If it's 3 players double-teamed, then that leaves 7 Bills defenders covering 3 Patriot players. Now who doesn't like those odds?

While Belichek hit home runs drafting Gronk & Hernandez, his defensive picks have not panned out so well. We'll have to wait and see how well Belichek's picks turn out before we say they improved.

Not that New England hasn't earned the right to be picked to win again, but the thing that gets me is how the general assumption is that the patsies draft picks will immediately make their god awful defense better. That to me is assuming a lot about a team with a shaky draft record recently and a terrible defense. I might be reading the wrong things but there doesn't seem to be a lot of the "let's see it bear out on the field" first coming from national outlets in regard to their D and more just assuming that because it's Belichick, it will all work out.

The Pats* are for sure the favorite but its not a lock. Their D has been consistently terrible the last few years and while investing their top 3 picks into it they have lost more proven starters and their second rounder was viewed as an enormous reach, so there isn't exactly a guarantee that it will be improved.

Their offense's biggest issue last season was lacking a deep threat on the outside. Well to address that situation they added Brandon Lloyd, while a nice player he isn't that traditional burner and his numbers throughout his career are very inconsistent. And now their O-line is actually pretty suspect with Mankins and Vollmer on the PUP and Waters and Gallery MIA and retired their O-line isn't looking like such a sure thing.

The Pats* deserve to be the favorites, no disputing that, to be the man you got to beat the man. But are they a lock? Not so fast their roster has a significant amount of holes in it.

They are the biggest lock in the league to win their division.. I cant think of a team I would bet more money on to win their division.

Lets play a game. Read the following paragraph and tell me what you feel...

"The Bills only return one healthy O-line starter. Two are coming off injury and two more have retired. Veteran free agents have failed physicals. Meanwhile the Patriots have added Mario Williams to bookend 10-sack DE Mark Anderson, to go along with two Pro Bowl-likely DTs."

So? Would anyone be talking playoffs much less Super Bowl? I didn't think so.

PTR

"The Bills only return one healthy O-line starter. Two are coming off injury and two more have retired. Veteran free agents have failed physicals. Meanwhile the Patriots have added Mario Williams to bookend 10-sack DE Mark Anderson, to go along with two Pro Bowl-likely DTs."

PTR

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :worthy:

PTR

Do the Bills have Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Lloyd, and Aaron Hernandez?

:P

I'm honestly optimistic we can take the AFC East, but it's not quite that cut and dried.

I am not trashing the Bills here. I am trashig them because I am making sense as to why the Patriots are the clear favorite? That is not trashing the Bills. The Bills have not been in the playoffs in like 12 years. They have sucked. patriots have not sucked, that is what this guy's thread was about.

Bills have a terrible QB, a terrible coach, and a terrible owner, and they play in a division where the Patriots have an incredible owner, incredible coach, and incredible QB, I really do not see the Bills doing well with this going for them. The defense should be a lot better. I am excited to see what the DLINE can do, it can be really, really good. They have good RBs who need to get the ball a lot more. The OLINE is better than average IMO. WR is below average, but not terrible. TE is below average. The Bills are looking at about 7 wins. I am still spending my money on them, flying up there for the home opener and getting Sunday Ticket.

The qb is pretty terrible but there's nothing wrong with the coach or the owner. It sounds like you do not appreciate this offseason and you haven't grasped the concept that Buddy is putting together here. If you worship Bill Belichek and Robert Kraft so much just make your move now before the Bills start piling up the W's

No one wants to hear your bills stink agenda once this defense is crushing souls.......Ralphs 90 million years old and he's done way more than youll ever do....cut the man a break

Do the Bills have Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Lloyd, and Aaron Hernandez?

:P

I'm honestly optimistic we can take the AFC East, but it's not quite that cut and dried.

If Tom Brady is running for his life (due to the depleted O-line), how effective are Welker, Gronk, Lloyd & Hernandez going to be if Brady can't get them the ball. (We've seen what pressure does to Brady in the 2 Superbowl losses to the Giants).

PTR

Bang, Shots fired ! :thumbsup:

PTR

Well done. If things were indeed reversed this offseason there would be no end to the knob polishing and endless testimonials to the greatness of Belichick, Kraft, and all that is the Patriot* way.

GO BILLS!!!

Well Tom better get his passes off inside 2 seconds. How about that RB-by-committee?

PTR

Well if anyone is going to be successful in getting their passes off inside 2 seconds.. its brady (unfortunately for us). How about that RB-by-committee that they've had for the past 7 seasons? Hasn't stopped them from being successful before.

Are you trying to say that the pats shouldn't be favored to win the division?

Well Tom better get his passes off inside 2 seconds. How about that RB-by-committee?

PTR

We may be at a disadvantage here, as I've actually long suspected Brady is the type that can "get off inside of two seconds"

:blush:

If Tom Brady is running for his life (due to the depleted O-line), how effective are Welker, Gronk, Lloyd & Hernandez going to be if Brady can't get them the ball. (We've seen what pressure does to Brady in the 2 Superbowl losses to the Giants).

In all seriousness, I happen to think the Bills match up extraordinarily well with the Pats after this offseason and I'm anxious to see it all play out on the field. I'm particularly curious to see how Gilmore is used against NE's receivers--- will he exclusively cover Gronk, Hernandez or Welker? Or will he be moved around?

Using the Super Bowl Giants as a kind of template, I firmly believe the Bills have altered the chemistry of the AFC East.

Well if anyone is going to be successful in getting their passes off inside 2 seconds.. its brady (unfortunately for us). How about that RB-by-committee that they've had for the past 7 seasons? Hasn't stopped them from being successful before.

Are you trying to say that the pats shouldn't be favored to win the division?

Actually the Pats offense relies on Brady having time to throw. So, yes- I think having a suspect line diminishes their chances greatly.

PTR

Actually the Pats offense relies on Brady having time to throw. So, yes- I think having a suspect line diminishes their chances greatly.

PTR

I'm not sure you addressed any of my points in this response. You also didn't answer my last question.. Who should be favored to win the division?

PTR

Lets play a game...the Colts had our same offseason, would you still say they are destined to win their division? No...why, because those players were added to a bad team. Not saying the Bills are a bad team, but we were a 6 win team and adding players to a good team doesnt guarantee success (see Philly last year), so why would adding a few players to a 6 win team suddenly propel us over a team with over a decade of dominance that only added more weapons to an already lethal offense that narrowly lost the SB on a rare drop by one of the most reliable WR's of this generation in Welker?

The point is, despite the state of despair you are trying to paint about NE, they will still go out and likely win 12-14 games...why, because of Brady, BB, two deadliest TE's in the NFL, Lloyd, Welker, and a better run game.

As far as your comments about the O Line, Brady may be the best QB in the NFL at getting rid of the ball early. So, he will be just fine with the changes on the O Line. He has played with worse. And what is so great about our O Line? We are going to have either a rookie or a 2nd year LT and have a OL that seems to get crushed by injuries every year. And the guy behind is Fitz, not Tom Brady.

So, while I LOVE, and I mean LOVE our offseason, the reality is still that until proven otherwise, NE is by far the favorites to win this division THIS year...maybe not next year, but this year.

PTR

Actually that is totally incorrect. Brady gets the ball out incredibly fast and most of their offense last year was based on short drops and quick timed throws.

Edited by Alphadawg7

because theyve been really FREAKING GOOD for over a dozen years now. 6 Super Bowl Appearances (starting w/ Parcells), 3 wins, dominated division. Best QB in the game (IMO, top 3 worst case anyone elses), one of best coaches of all time, had a good offseason ... who the heck would bet against that train rolling off the tracks?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

PTR

Then again Mankins and Vollmer could come back healthy, and Brain Waters could come back to play this year (Although at age 35 you could make a case that his play could decline, but he played well last year), and Solder could come in and play well at LT, and Koppen could hold down the center position.

But that's three major positions on the O-line that have serious questions two due to injury and one due to age/retirement and the other two are far from locks anyway (Solder played RT last year and Koppen isn't regarded as a good center).

The realistic point I think Bills fans are making is that the Pats* have serious concerns on the roster (Is Lloyd a true deep threat, how good will there O-line be, and their D isn't a good unit either), yes they are the favorite but to act as though they are a complete team is just not true.