Why does the media automatically assume the Pats will win the AFC East

They are 27-5 in the last two regular seasons, and were VERY close to winning the super bowl last year.

they may not be as great as the SB winning teams, but any demise has been GREATLY exagerated. They are, deservingly so, wearing the division crown until they actually lose it. it may be this season, but its very fair for a majority of analysts to pick them.

This.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I post real stats, I make real points, please tell me what I said in this thread was wrong and give a legit argument against it. Just throwing out he is a troll is pretty sad and weak.

Hold it guys, he is right, I just checked and his first post in this tread and it indeed had a real stat, and I quote. 'The Bills win was a fluke' hard to argue with those numbers.....

Edited by RichmondRob

I love how our community hatred for the Pats* allows us to completely discredit the fact that they are the Super Bowl runners-up, by a very small margin, and have arguably gotten better in areas of weakness this offseason.

Look, I hate them as much or more than anyone else here, but I have absolutely no idea how any team, much less us, is going to stop them this year. I hope they go down hard this year, but right now, it's just hope.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. Isn't that the disclaimer investors always use? Thats because every now and then the unexpected occurs.

But don't most investors still use past performance and current data to make their projectiond and future predictions? I dabble and don't think I'd buy a stock that's sucked every year for 10 years just because they've recruited some new people in their organization. I'd look for the company to prove SOMETHING before annonting them best of breed.

Especially since it is not the first time where off season activities raised expectations only to lead to disappointment.

I want and hope the bills to win the division and certainly belive they can, but there is no basis to predict it will happen until we see the product on the field.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Ah, so now we are clear. The football writers should put in the disclaimer "**The Patriots are not favored to win the AFC EAST because there is a chance Brady would get injured." I guess like 2008, they'll ONLY go 11-5.

So I guess beating the AFC Champs, and losing to the Superbowl Champs by 3 points last season, while making a lot of improvements in the offseason still means that the best the Bills can do is 2nd in the AFC east? Really?! :thumbdown:

Edited by Jerry Jabber

You reduce every thread into anti fitz rhetoric. Look Trent I know you got crushed in Arizona and knocked you silly. I know it ended what looked like may have been a promising career. But directing all of your resentment to fitz is misguided. Chan had to cut you despite the fact that you are still a flag football superstar. Three step drop checkdowns are just not going to cut it.

Fitz is going to start this year and he is going to win games. I know its hard to hear. It is widely anticipated it will be a career season for him. He has looked sharp this pre season and has improved every year he has been in buffalo. There are a lot of competent football professionals who are confident he is a quality NFL starting qb. All will be ok in Buffalo.

And remember the second choice on the bills roster is the guy the eagles dropped and effectivly are replacing with you Trent Edwards or Mike Kafka....

Get well Trent and I recommend putting the electronic automation design degree to work. With your positive attitude, good communication and Stanford connections I am sure you can get a good gig near Los gatos, where the only sense of panic or resentment you will encounter is running out of paper while printing out presentation notes for that meeting in 5 minutes.

Everyone is the pusher. I did not bring up Fitz's name once in like 5 or 6 posts until this right now. Me calling the Bills win a fluke is Fitz rhetoric?

Hey buddy, we all missed you this weekend! Our corn flakes were not as savory with out your pee in it.

A team that gets no take-aways wins few games. Perhaps, the bills coaches did a good job of scheming against the Pats O, and that's why they won. But I know as little about it as you do(doubtful) so who knows.

I was in Buffalo this weekend! Thursday to Sunday! Family visit. Whatever the Bills did worked, but that doesn't change it was still a fluke win. If it worked so well, why didn't it continue to work the next time?

So I guess beating the AFC Champs, and losing to the Superbowl Champs by 3 points last season, while making a lot of improvements in the offseason still means that the best the Bills can do is 2nd in the AFC east? Really?! :thumbdown:

Miami lost by 3 to the Patriots and the Giants........AND they beat the Bills twice. Guess Miami could be considered for first place this year too.

Everyone is the pusher. I did not bring up Fitz's name once in like 5 or 6 posts until this right now. Me calling the Bills win a fluke is Fitz rhetoric?

I was in Buffalo this weekend! Thursday to Sunday! Family visit. Whatever the Bills did worked, but that doesn't change it was still a fluke win. If it worked so well, why didn't it continue to work the next time?

Miami lost by 3 to the Patriots and the Giants........AND they beat the Bills twice. Guess Miami could be considered for first place this year too.

And how many Bills players were injured by the time they played Miami? Since it's obvious you're a big Patriots fan, how many teams did they beat with a winning record last year? So if the Bills win against the Pats was a fluke, then the Pats making it to the playoffs and going to the Superbowl was a fluke as well.

The Pats are the kings until someone beats them. That said, some year some team will beat them for the division title, and that same year all the experts will have those same Pats being the victors. Why not this year?

Sports writers are always very conservative in their predictions, never willing to go out on a limb. Everyone had the Phillies winning their division again this year. Look how that turned out.

And how many Bills players were injured by the time they played Miami? Since it's obvious you're a big Patriots fan, how many teams did they beat with a winning record last year? So if the Bills win against the Pats was a fluke, then the Pats making it to the playoffs and going to the Superbowl was a fluke as well.

I guess the fact the Patriots win all the time has nothing to do with why teams they play end up having losing records then. Duh. I mean, if Miami and New York Jets did not lose twice to Miami they would not have had losing records, and Jets would have had a winning record. They beat San Diego who was 8-8 and if Chargers win they they have a winning record and they win their freaking division. They beat the Raiders, who were 8-8 and if Raiders beat Patriots they have a winning record and they win their freaking division. Chiefs were 7-9, they beat Patriots they do not have a losing record and they win their freaking division. Eagles were 8-8, they beat the Patriots they have a winning record and they win their freaking division. They beat Denver, who was 8-8 and won a division, same thing for them, they beat New England and they have a winning record. Cowboys were 8-8, they beat New England and they have a winning record and trhey win their freaking division. That is 10 of their wins right there.

Just more logic and commen sense I like to share with poeple. As you can see you absolutely failed on your point. Patriots were a good team that held a lot of middle tier decent teams from success....know how???? BY WINNING!!!!

Edited by paintmyhouse

I guess the fact the Patriots win all the time has nothing to do with why teams they play end up having losing records then. Duh. I mean, if Miami and New York Jets did not lose twice to Miami they would not have had losing records, and Jets would have had a winning record. They beat San Diego who was 8-8 and if Chargers win they they have a winning record and they win their freaking division. They beat the Raiders, who were 8-8 and if Raiders beat Patriots they have a winning record and they win their freaking division. Chiefs were 7-9, they beat Patriots they do not have a losing record and they win their freaking division. Eagles were 8-8, they beat the Patriots they have a winning record and they win their freaking division. They beat Denver, who was 8-8 and won a division, same thing for them, they beat New England and they have a winning record. Cowboys were 8-8, they beat New England and they have a winning record and trhey win their freaking division. That is 10 of their wins right there.

Just more logic and commen sense I like to share with poeple. As you can see you absolutely failed on your point. Patriots were a good team that held a lot of middle tier decent teams from success....know how???? BY WINNING!!!!

"Commen sense"? So, you've just admitted they beat a bunch of mid-tier teams. The rest was should of... could of... would of... The Pats had a huge horse shoe up their azzes last season (meaning they got very lucky making it to the Superbowl). Since the Pats last run at the Superbowl in 2007, they didn't win a playoff game up until they played Timmy Tebow & the Broncos in the playoffs. The Bills beat the Broncos 40-14. The Ravens beat themselves in the AFC Championship game.

Bottom line, the Pats winning the AFC east this year is not automatic. If the Bills stay healthy, plus with the pats having 2 O-linemen retire, Brady WILL take a pounding, and the result will be similiar to what the Giants did to them in the Superbowl.

"Commen sense"? So, you've just admitted they beat a bunch of mid-tier teams. The rest was should of... could of... would of... The Pats had a huge horse shoe up their azzes last season (meaning they got very lucky making it to the Superbowl). Since the Pats last run at the Superbowl in 2007, they didn't win a playoff game up until they played Timmy Tebow & the Broncos in the playoffs. The Bills beat the Broncos 40-14. The Ravens beat themselves in the AFC Championship game.

Bottom line, the Pats winning the AFC east this year is not automatic. If the Bills stay healthy, plus with the pats having 2 O-linemen retire, Brady WILL take a pounding, and the result will be similiar to what the Giants did to them in the Superbowl.

Is that what you really got out of that? Pretty sad. Patriots beat a lot of decent teams. 5 games they won and beat teams, that if they had won over the Patriots, would have won their divisions and 4 of them had winning records then. You are calling this should have, would have, it is factual. The Patriots high number of wins caused this to happen. you calling the Patriots lucky is hilarious, considering the Bills were way lucky Brady threw half of his season INTs in one game versus Buffalo and had the worst pass interference call in history for them and still barely won.

THey beat a division champ who won a playoff game. They are still the team to beat, they have proven it again last year. The Bills had 6 wins last year and in 3 of them they had 4 INTs. Just shows how bad the Bills were they need the other team to make tons of mistakes to win.

Edited by paintmyhouse

Is that what you really got out of that? Pretty sad. Patriots beat a lot of decent teams. 5 games they won and beat teams, that if they had won over the Patriots, would have won their divisions and 4 of them had winning records then. You are calling this should have, would have, it is factual. The Patriots high number of wins caused this to happen. you calling the Patriots lucky is hilarious, considering the Bills were way lucky Brady threw half of his season INTs in one game versus Buffalo and had the worst pass interference call in history for them and still barely won.

THey beat a division champ who won a playoff game. They are still the team to beat, they have proven it again last year. The Bills had 6 wins last year and in 3 of them they had 4 INTs. Just shows how bad the Bills were they need the other team to make tons of mistakes to win.

For a guy that claims to be a Bills' fan, you sure do spend a LOT of time trashing the team.

Seriously, can you not find one good thing to say about them?

The Bills win was a fluke. They would not have won had Brady not had 4 INTs in that game against that terrible defense.

So what's Brady going to do in Buffalo against the Bills Defense THIS year? And how would The Bills have held up with the 2012 Defense and a 21 point lead in New England?...The Patsies are not invincible...The SB proved that...And all good things must come to an end in time...Not saying necessarily that this will be the year...Just saying... B-)

For a guy that claims to be a Bills' fan, you sure do spend a LOT of time trashing the team.

Seriously, can you not find one good thing to say about them?

I am not trashing the Bills here. I am trashig them because I am making sense as to why the Patriots are the clear favorite? That is not trashing the Bills. The Bills have not been in the playoffs in like 12 years. They have sucked. patriots have not sucked, that is what this guy's thread was about.

Bills have a terrible QB, a terrible coach, and a terrible owner, and they play in a division where the Patriots have an incredible owner, incredible coach, and incredible QB, I really do not see the Bills doing well with this going for them. The defense should be a lot better. I am excited to see what the DLINE can do, it can be really, really good. They have good RBs who need to get the ball a lot more. The OLINE is better than average IMO. WR is below average, but not terrible. TE is below average. The Bills are looking at about 7 wins. I am still spending my money on them, flying up there for the home opener and getting Sunday Ticket.

Edited by paintmyhouse

The Pats beat teams that .500 winning record at best during the year, that is not great by any means. You calling the Bills win against the Pats "a fluke" is hilarious. While you say it was Brady's worst game and it was all his fault, the Bills game plan on defense was to push the pocket in so Brady couldn't step up into his throws and the Bills defenders made sure to get the arms & bodies in Brady's throwing lanes. They happened to do the same thing against Mike Vick & last year's the offseason Superbowl champion Eagles. Fitz had 2 INT's as well, plus the pats blew a 21-0 lead, so keep the excuses coming.

Want to talk about bad calls? Check this out: http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/1998/nep2.html

But don't most investors still use past performance and current data to make their projectiond and future predictions? I dabble and don't think I'd buy a stock that's sucked every year for 10 years just because they've recruited some new people in their organization. I'd look for the company to prove SOMETHING before annonting them best of breed.

Especially since it is not the first time where off season activities raised expectations only to lead to disappointment.

I want and hope the bills to win the division and certainly belive they can, but there is no basis to predict it will happen until we see the product on the field.

But by posting on this site, you ARE making an investment. You could very well be spending your valuable time doing just about anything else, even going to teams that are the flavor of the day.

I'd like a break from everyone that says I'm not ready to 'trust' or 'invest' in the team and then go out and buy every piece of Bills gear, season tickets, TV package and read every article out there. You're all just saying these things to protect your beaten ego's and covering your a$$e$.

btw, dabbler, if a stock has done poorly over an amount of time, it is probably priced to buy. Get it NOW before the price goes up based on the report that the Bills got better. oops, too late for you. My guess is that you and all the other so-called "Bills fans" will jump on board when the wins start piling on.

Me? I got a ticket and a nice plush seat.