Backup QB - Matt Moore?

Booger

Look, hoping that either VY or TT step up and can become a solid #2....but if continue to look lost I would not mind keeping an eye on the Miami situation with the hopes of Moore becoming available. I liked him down here in Carolina and think he would fit in nicely with what the Bills are trying to do.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted VY has proven throughout his career to be a head case, but if he's still trying to pick up the offense now, I wonder if they'd feel even less comfortable bringing in a guy to be the backup who wouldn't be signed any sooner than a week before the opener. Best case scenario is obviously we never need the backup; but at this point it might be better off going with one of the guys who have been here all offseason. I doubt Moore gets cut though. If anyone does I'd think it would be Garrard.

I think we're stuck with Thigpen & VY until the end of the season. My hope is the Nix & Co either draft a backup QB, or get a solid backup in FA.

I would rather see Vince Young receive a chance to take over the starting job BEFORE I waste a draft pick. But that's just my me. :unsure:

Edited by HOUSE

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the backup QB job as important as I once did. The Bills are pretty much like everyone else, including the defending SB champions- if they lose their starting QB for more than a game or two, things are probably sunk for the season. There's no way to keep a player who could start and win games as a backup these days. You're really just trying to get a decent game or two from your backup. In the Bills case you just hope that your defense and running game can deliver a win in those one or two games.

To begin with, I really have liked Moore in the games I've seen him play. He looks like he has all the tools necessary - and, really, there are more than a few QB's vying for backup jobs who don't have ALL the tools, but who only excel at some things.

But, as was mentioned, it looks unlikely that Gailey would bring in a QB as backup now, since the system takes so long to learn. Thigpen couldn't have been better last year - one full season and an offseason less experience, and Gailey was willing to go into the season with him as backup. They've shown a willingness to rely on incapable backups.

But, on the other hand, backup QB is definitely a position of need, as in we don't have a player who has actually proven he can succeed in this system. So, if Nix or Whaley spotted a QB on the market who could be had for the right price, and who would undoubtedly be an upgrade, then I could easily see Nix pulling the trigger, and if the guy wasn't ready until next year, or the end of this year, the guy would still be an upgrade.

So, yeah - I think the right guy could have a shot at being picked up, but, considering we have Vince Young here, with all he's accomplished, I think the QB in question would have to be the perfect type - probably not so well recognized and respected that it'd potentially create a controversy, but definitely good enough to win. Matt Moore sounds like that type of QB to me.

I would rather see Vince Young receive a chance to take over the starting job BEFORE I waste a draft pick. But that's just my me. :unsure:

Really? IDK what you see that I don't because I thought VY has sucked since I saw him play at Texas. Fitz isn't the greatest QB in the world but he is light years better than Young, and it's not even close.

Look, hoping that either VY or TT step up and can become a solid #2....but if continue to look lost I would not mind keeping an eye on the Miami situation with the hopes of Moore becoming available. I liked him down here in Carolina and think he would fit in nicely with what the Bills are trying to do.

Please explain to me why Miami would even consider trading Moore to Buffalo? He's good enough to not get cut, and, if they were to trade him, it wouldn't be to a divisional rival.

Really? IDK what you see that I don't because I thought VY has sucked since I saw him play at Texas. Fitz isn't the greatest QB in the world but he is light years better than Young, and it's not even close.

Its still a matter of giving a 2 time Pro bowler a shot. What if Young goes elsewhere and plays much better then Buffalo's drafted Quarterback ?

Are you willing to wait on another developmental quarterback? Losman & Edwards got us nowhere and wasted 5 years.

Buffalo will most likely draft mid round or worse so the answer isn't likely next season

Just for the record, I AM NOT a Vince Young fan. Fitz will do well this season....

Edited by HOUSE

1344219684[/url]' post='2522213']

He sucked at Texas, for sure.....

Its still a matter of giving a 2 time Pro bowler a shot. What if Young goes elsewhere and plays much better then Buffalo's drafted Quarterback ?

Are you willing to wait on another developmental quarterback? Losman & Edwards got us nowhere and wasted 5 years.

Buffalo will most likely draft mid round or worse so the answer isn't likely next season

Just for the record, I AM NOT a Vince Young fan.

What if! what if!

Isn't it obvious to you? Why isn't VY in Tennessee or Philly anymore? Really doubt he will amount to anything. Have my doubts he is going to stick here in Buffalo more than this year, if he can even make the roster this year.

If he was all that, he wouldn't be competing for Buffalo's back up position, he would be somewhere else competing for a starting position.

Sorry, but for now and the next couple of years, i'll take the guy that throws for almost 4000 yards and about 25 TD per year, both top 1/3 of the league.

Could the Bills do better than Fitz? Sure they could, but VY is not the answer no matter how you slice it.

if chan decides to keep thigpen then then will run the same offense and just plan on a lower compl pcent and fewer big plays, trying to win by not making big mistakes and playing tough d

if they keep young then they wont run the same offense, they will take whatever young has shown he can execute and scrap the rest in favor of a traditional play action pass offense. from there you try to keep young from his typical dumb mistakes and tell him to run when he thinks he can pick up yardage

either way should be sufficient to be competitive for a couple games. but i agree with vince in the sense that you usually can only expect a couple of games from a backup and if you need more than that youre likely screwed. its just about impossible to keep two starting capable qbs on the same team anymore. so the only way chan dumps both veteran backups already here for somebody else is if they both get hurt

i also agree that moore is the best qb on the fish roster. i wouldnt be surprised to see him end up starting most of the games after the others bomb out

Nix and the scouting department are always looking over the waver wire. If someone is out there that can improve the team I have no doubt Nix will pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind Matt Moore on the team. He would be the perfect back up if he plays like he did at the end of the year all of the time.

He's busy fumbling his chance to be a competent backup away, and you want to give him the keys to the kingdom?

Not sure if serious ...

Young with his legs alone gives us a better chance to win than Thigpen. If Fitz goes down, we are going to RUN RUN RUN the ball. what better way to do that than with VY, FJ, CJ. dont be confused, i dont think VY is a starter, or even the best option at #2. this is only relevant because i have seen Thigpen play. hes awful!!! wheres Van Pelt when you need him lol