Tonight's practice

I will say that the 7 on 7 work early in practice was down at our end and VY started very badly. My view of the later team drills was limited and he may have improved during those - it was hard to see who was at QB. He did have one scramble (designed?) that went a long way.

Personally I'm not that interesting his scrambles - we all know that part of his game is fantastic. I want to see improvement in decision making and accuracy. Then again it sounds like Thigpen is so bad that Young is going to get the #2 spot by default.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add a few extra observations from last night's practice. Overall - Jay hit on the highlights -- but for those that haven't seen this Bills team in person yet, here's a couple things to take away:

Oh - and because I'm an FSU fan -- I was really interested in the punting situation: Moorman clearly looked like the better of the two last night and is much more consistent over Shawn Powell. I don't think he get's beat out.

Thanks for the comments! I've been one of the vocal proponents of Powell unseating Moorman, but it appears that was pure folly. There's no question Moorman's performance has suffered over the past couple of years, so I'm hoping he, like others, is simply rejuvenated by the influx of talent on the roster and might be "enjoying" the game again. Stranger things have happened.

As the summer progresses I find myself rooting for the "old guys" -- McGee, Kelsay, Lindell, and Moorman -- to get a chance to contribute after suffering through so many awful seasons.

I'm really worried about McGee.

Yeah, that Rochester Democrat article from the front page made it sound like he's done. I don't think the team can count on him for anything. Hate to see him go out like that.

kj

Thanks for the comments! I've been one of the vocal proponents of Powell unseating Moorman, but it appears that was pure folly. There's no question Moorman's performance has suffered over the past couple of years, so I'm hoping he, like others, is simply rejuvenated by the influx of talent on the roster and might be "enjoying" the game again. Stranger things have happened.

As the summer progresses I find myself rooting for the "old guys" -- McGee, Kelsay, Lindell, and Moorman -- to get a chance to contribute after suffering through so many awful seasons.

After seeing what I saw last night I think Morman and Lindell will be fine. They seem to be better than the rookies however I think they keep a 3rd for kickoffs if the young kid can prove he's a bomber over time.

Kelsey will not be going anywhere.

I too think McGee is very close to done. It really depends on how the young kids play. If Brooks and Rogers can show they are good nickle/dime guys then McGee really has problems. I also saw him on the bike alot yesterday and stretching a ton when other guys were doing position drills. Not sure if that was planned or maybe McGee is such a vet he doesn't need that stuff but it seemed toe that he was already battling injury or soreness. If he didn't have a career reputation of injury issues I wouldn't have thought that but it was defenately noticable. At worst though he's defenately the 6th DB if they keep 6 which I expect them to.

After seeing what I saw last night I think Morman and Lindell will be fine. They seem to be better than the rookies however I think they keep a 3rd for kickoffs if the young kid can prove he's a bomber over time.

Kelsey will not be going anywhere.

I too think McGee is very close to done. It really depends on how the young kids play. If Brooks and Rogers can show they are good nickle/dime guys then McGee really has problems. I also saw him on the bike alot yesterday and stretching a ton when other guys were doing position drills. Not sure if that was planned or maybe McGee is such a vet he doesn't need that stuff but it seemed toe that he was already battling injury or soreness. If he didn't have a career reputation of injury issues I wouldn't have thought that but it was defenately noticable. At worst though he's defenately the 6th DB if they keep 6 which I expect them to.

McGee was right in front of where I was sitting when everyone else was down at the other end, and it was not pretty. Just doing crossovers you could see he was having alot of discomfort. He's always been a favorite and he's trying, but with the youth and talent they've brought in I'm not optimistic he'll be kept.

Gilmore, Williams, McCorner, Rogers, and Brooks are locks I would think. Does a McGee with broken wheels earn a spot over one of the other three or four UDFA rookies currently in camp? I don't know. I suppose they could keep him on the inactive list for the early part of the season while he continues to rehab. Still, it's sad.

McGee was right in front of where I was sitting when everyone else was down at the other end, and it was not pretty. Just doing crossovers you could see he was having alot of discomfort. He's always been a favorite and he's trying, but with the youth and talent they've brought in I'm not optimistic he'll be kept.

It makes me kinda sad. McGee has been one of the few bright spots on this pathetic team for almost a decade and now that the team is finally poised to win he might get cut and never get to experience a playoff team in Buffalo.

Edited by MDH

Kelsay was only starting ahead of Anderson last night because it was his day in the rotation. Saturday was Anderson's day to be with the ones. Tomorrow may be Merriman's if he is full go. The same way Chan is rotating Hairston and Glenn every other day to play with the ones, he is rotating the RDE. Yesterday had no bearing or indication whatsoever that Kelsay will be starting. He MAY, if he outplays Anderson and Merriman, but last night was just Kelsay's turn. I think on opening day, Merriman will start at RDE although Anderson and Kelsay will both play.

If I had to guess, and if Merriman is healthy, I would imagine that Mario plays 75% of the snaps, Merriman and Anderson play 50% each and Kelsay plays closer to 25% (partially because teams throw so much more now).

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Thanks Kelly. Didn't know they rotating on a daily basis that way. Thought they would have been rotating throughout practice. That's defenately good new to me if that's the case. Not that I thunk Kelsey is horribe. I've never been a huge supporter of him but I have always thought he would be much better with some other help around him. At this point he would be the 4th best DLmen as opposed to the 1st or 2nd from just a few years ago. There's a difference. Glad to heat this and I too believe Merriman will start week 1 with Kelsey and Anderson spelling both Mario and Merriman. The great thing is that Anderson I practicing with the 2s at LDE and we know Kelsey can play LDE but he's been practicing at RDE so between Williams, Anderson and Kelsey they could potentially play both positions. And all could be starters.

Really? You both think Merriman will start at RDE in week 1?

I was thinking either Kelsay or Anderson would start, and Merriman will only see spot duty. At least at the start of the season, until he proves more.

Standouts:

Marcus Easly & Derek Hagan both looked very good and big strong targets

Stephon Gilmore - contested many balls and broke up quite a few after the receiver got a hand on the ball. Fast. Played against Stevie most of the time.

Corey McIntyre - actually caught 2 balls out of the backfield and rumbled quite a way. Wonder if this is a wrinkle.

Fitz - hit people in stride all over the field

TJ Graham had one where he jetted past everyone

DBs dropped at least 2 or 3 picks.

Mario WIlliams is so friggin fast.

In fact, the team as a whole looks noticeable faster. They were getting close on punt team and even partially blocked one.

Looked Bad:

Vince Young. Eww.

Quite well attended. Great weather. Parking situation was terrible, but the good news is that they just told people to park on campus so I didn't even have to deal with a shuttle bus.

Wish I had some pictures but the camera I brought had a dead battery. I'll get some on Wednesday night.

Of course there are a couple people here who think he's challenging Fitz for a starting spot. :wallbash:

Of course there are a couple people here who think he's challenging Fitz for a starting spot. :wallbash:

If your commenting about my posts saying he's looked pretty good, where did I ever say he is challenging Fitz. All I said was that he looked much better than Pigpen. Just clearing my name from that argument. And fwiw I don't know if I've heard anyone in this thread stating he was.

Not sure of your personal opinions and history of Vince Young topics but it sounds like you need to take a break from it a little.

Really? You both think Merriman will start at RDE in week 1?

I was thinking either Kelsay or Anderson would start, and Merriman will only see spot duty. At least at the start of the season, until he proves more.

If and it's a BIG IF... Meriman is healthy, He is by far the best option at RDE. I'd expect him to start. I do see your argument however and I could see Chan rotating all 3 of them evenly.

Just wanted to add a few extra observations from last night's practice. Overall - Jay hit on the highlights -- but for those that haven't seen this Bills team in person yet, here's a couple things to take away:

1. Stephon Gilmore already looks like one of the best players on the team. He is competing with the starters and is primarily on Stevie Johnson. The kid is always in the faces of the WR's. He is quick and physical. Going off what I saw at camp -- it looks like he might get more pass break-ups than picks -- because he is locked onto his man. If there is such a thing as lock-down corner -- this kid is it!

2. Mark Anderson is very, very quick. He has one of the fastest moves off the line and seems to really know how to get in the backfield. I saw someone questioned why he is behind Kelsay. I have to agree -- but on the other hand -- I'm not sure it is possible to keep up that high of a motor on every snap -- maybe they have Kelsay as the prodder to lull the tackles asleep and then will bring in Anderson to collect a bunch of sacks.

3. As already mentioned - Fitz looks like he is throwing harder. I used to question this guy's arm strength (and he still might not have a cannon) but he is sure getting his passes to the receivers in a hurry. I like the look of Fitz.

4. Mario is as big as advertised. Guy looks very intimidating.

5. Dareus is going to have a monster year!

6. Starting O-Line was: Glenn (LT), Levitre (LG), Urbik ©, Rhinehart(RG), Sam Young (RT). Until they add Wood and Pears to that group -- I would expect to see some inconsistencies from the offense. Our defense appears to be that good.

7. Young is so-so. Looked better running than passing. I hope Lee is able to work with him -- but given the way Fitz looks -- I wouldn't want to see Young in the game.

8.Tank Carder impressed me in the individual drills. Not sure if he can beat out some others -- but he had a couple nice pass break-ups in the drills.

Oh - and because I'm an FSU fan -- I was really interested in the punting situation: Moorman clearly looked like the better of the two last night and is much more consistent over Shawn Powell. I don't think he get's beat out. Potter made his FG's -- but Lindell looked sharper. I really want to see Potter's leg on kickoffs.

Thanks for the great update. Any news on the Running game. I haven't not heard a single word about our Run game at these practices. How is Spiller doing ? The bills will have to run the ball well to compete.

Alright I was in the VIP tent last night so I had a really good look at everything that was going on so here was my take on things:

Fitz looked much better then last year, he completed his reads really well and his balls definitely had more zip and spiral. Wasn't afraid to throw it downfield but also didnt seem to be trying to put it into ridiculous windows either. On a side note Fitz came by after to the tent and he was awesome he was just talking with everyone signing autographs and taking pictures and It was really cool to see that side of him.

Vince Young-I thought that he looked much better then people are giving him credit for. Im not saying he should be our starter but he definitely had a few throws where I looked at my friend and said if fitz went down I actually feel like we can still win games. That being said I was also really happy because fitz definitely looked like the starter, he had full command of the offense and VY showed me exactly what I wanted out of a backup especially one just learning the playbook. In addition I really like his attitude surprisingly during drills he was really cheering everyone on and he was making jokes with fans and waving. After practice he stayed after to practice with a couple of wide receivers which was something I certainly didn't expect and it shows he is motivated and ready to work.

Thigpen: He had one good throw all of practice but otherwise was atrocious. He literally reminds me of trent edwards so much I cant handle it. Always is dumping the ball off and his balls flutter constantly. If he makes it over VY especially since Young isnt a distraction I dont know what the coaching staff is doing (I obviously trust them)

Brad Smith: Ive been saying it for months but yesterday was kindof the last straw, why is he on the team? He took probably less then 10 snaps all practice and had one completion for about 8 yards over the middle. When he ran I actually thought VY's speed was better and I just really cant justify him having a roster spot based on everything ive seen of him over the past two years. That and the fact that he didnt take one wide reciever snap really had me shaking my head.

Offensive Line: Ill be honest I really wasnt watching them too much but what stuck out to me was that glenn is raw and definitely needs work but also wasnt absolutely getting abused. Dareus was manhandling urbik at center. Young actually held up fairly well at RT Sanders is much more raw then I envisioned.

Defensive Line: the 2 williams and especially dareus were incredible. Dareus IMO will be the best player on this team, he is absolutely unblockable and works his ass off every play. I really cant describe how much I love this kid and how he plays time in and time out. Kyle Williams looked back to his old self and had no lingering effects from the foot injury. Cant wait to see him and Dareus full go in a real game. Mario Williams really didnt stick out to me that much but man is his size one of a kind. There is 0% body fat on the guy and he ways 300 pounds. Definitely was a freak of nature. Kelsay was impressive as well but I have always found he does well in camp only to lose it during the season.

Lb's- Nothing really sticks out to me too much besides the fact that I was impressed by morrisons covering ability, I remember a play where he broke up a pass about 30 yds downfield against a T.E and he was with him stride for stride. Carter nor Bradham stuck out to me in a good or bad way.

Gilmore: as has been said so I wont elaborate much more this kid is a stud. A definite competitor and he is much faster then I thought. He was especially impressive on his deep tests where his ability to close on the ball in the last second was excellent. He is very physical and there is no such thing as an easy yard with him. Hes a starter and theres no question about it. He is also huge, very filled out and even might be a little taller then advertised yet he moves as fluid as some of the smaller corners.

A. Williams: Wasnt as impressed with him as some people are but he improved with every play. He also seems very attentive and is a perfectionist. He got beat a couple times but also made a couple of very nice plays and does a good job of sticking tight to recievers.

The rest of the C.B's- I am actually pretty optimistic to see what brooks is going to bring to the table, hes raw but you can see that both the talent and work effort are there. He is bigger then advertised and is also incredibly quick. He had a bad read on a play that graham went right by him but I think it might have been zone so im not sure. He needs work but I could see him at worst being our future nickel corner. Mcgee is on his last legs, he was jogging around the field and didnt do anything that stuck out to me. I see him getting cut and while im sad I just dont think he fits our mold and keeping him around doesnt net us anything. Rodgers looked more then capable at the nickel as did Mckelvin who I cant really say had a bad play.

Safeties- Byrd and Wilson looked pretty good, Byrd had a pick and wilson was really energetic on the sidelines getting everyone fired up or teaching rookies on things they did wrong. Something that did stand out to me was the fact that we really need another safety seeing as our 4th one was Josh Nesbitt who either didnt practice or just didnt do anything noticeable. Searcy is coming along and had a few nice plays.

R.B. The one who really stuck out to me was C.J Spiller in every aspect. He seems to improve with every run and his vision is becoming excellent. He also ran a couple perfectly executed screens and ran behind his blockers and then took off with blazing speed. He had probably 4 runs of 10 plus yards. He also ran a couple all the way to the endzone (extra 30 yds) after Fred did it which is great to see. Fred had a rough start as Dareus and Williams really shut him down early but ended up with a few nice runs and had a good reception. He looks 100% recovered from the leg injury and doesnt seem to have lost a step. Johnny White was non-existent.

W.R- Wasnt really impressed with Derek Hagan, possesses the prototypical size and speed but just cant catch the ball with his hands. Easley definitely showed that he could be the number 2 today and had a couple of balls that he caught in double coverage and definitely showed that he has speed for the outside. Donald Jones was non-existent. He had one nice catch on the sideline but also had a bad drop and I just cant remotely see him as having the talent for a number 2. T.J really really surprised me in a good way. He was much bigger then I anticipated and actually has enough size as opposed to roscoe to be on the outside. He is blazing fast and actually his hands were his most impressive attribute of the night. What I also saw was after practice he was working on his hands and going over routes with a wide receiver coach for another 30 mins after practice was done. He seems to really want playing time and if he keeps playing like that he deserves to get it. If I had to do the wide recievers today it would be S.J, Easley, Nelson, Graham, Hagan as the top 5.

Other notes: Lindell/Potter was fairly close. Neither mixed but Potter seemed to take longer to take kicks and seemed much more blockable then lindell (I know that its kindof random just something I noticed). Moorman certainly realized the staff was not happy with him because he looked great. Powell wasnt even close to him and Moorman was consistently booting 60 yarders.

Thats all I got.

Alright I was in the VIP tent last night so I had a really good look at everything that was going on so here was my take on things:

Fitz looked much better then last year, he completed his reads really well and his balls definitely had more zip and spiral. Wasn't afraid to throw it downfield but also didnt seem to be trying to put it into ridiculous windows either. On a side note Fitz came by after to the tent and he was awesome he was just talking with everyone signing autographs and taking pictures and It was really cool to see that side of him.

Vince Young-I thought that he looked much better then people are giving him credit for. Im not saying he should be our starter but he definitely had a few throws where I looked at my friend and said if fitz went down I actually feel like we can still win games. That being said I was also really happy because fitz definitely looked like the starter, he had full command of the offense and VY showed me exactly what I wanted out of a backup especially one just learning the playbook. In addition I really like his attitude surprisingly during drills he was really cheering everyone on and he was making jokes with fans and waving. After practice he stayed after to practice with a couple of wide receivers which was something I certainly didn't expect and it shows he is motivated and ready to work.

Thigpen: He had one good throw all of practice but otherwise was atrocious. He literally reminds me of trent edwards so much I cant handle it. Always is dumping the ball off and his balls flutter constantly. If he makes it over VY especially since Young isnt a distraction I dont know what the coaching staff is doing (I obviously trust them)

Brad Smith: Ive been saying it for months but yesterday was kindof the last straw, why is he on the team? He took probably less then 10 snaps all practice and had one completion for about 8 yards over the middle. When he ran I actually thought VY's speed was better and I just really cant justify him having a roster spot based on everything ive seen of him over the past two years. That and the fact that he didnt take one wide reciever snap really had me shaking my head.

Offensive Line: Ill be honest I really wasnt watching them too much but what stuck out to me was that glenn is raw and definitely needs work but also wasnt absolutely getting abused. Dareus was manhandling urbik at center. Young actually held up fairly well at RT Sanders is much more raw then I envisioned.

Defensive Line: the 2 williams and especially dareus were incredible. Dareus IMO will be the best player on this team, he is absolutely unblockable and works his ass off every play. I really cant describe how much I love this kid and how he plays time in and time out. Kyle Williams looked back to his old self and had no lingering effects from the foot injury. Cant wait to see him and Dareus full go in a real game. Mario Williams really didnt stick out to me that much but man is his size one of a kind. There is 0% body fat on the guy and he ways 300 pounds. Definitely was a freak of nature. Kelsay was impressive as well but I have always found he does well in camp only to lose it during the season.

Lb's- Nothing really sticks out to me too much besides the fact that I was impressed by morrisons covering ability, I remember a play where he broke up a pass about 30 yds downfield against a T.E and he was with him stride for stride. Carter nor Bradham stuck out to me in a good or bad way.

Gilmore: as has been said so I wont elaborate much more this kid is a stud. A definite competitor and he is much faster then I thought. He was especially impressive on his deep tests where his ability to close on the ball in the last second was excellent. He is very physical and there is no such thing as an easy yard with him. Hes a starter and theres no question about it. He is also huge, very filled out and even might be a little taller then advertised yet he moves as fluid as some of the smaller corners.

A. Williams: Wasnt as impressed with him as some people are but he improved with every play. He also seems very attentive and is a perfectionist. He got beat a couple times but also made a couple of very nice plays and does a good job of sticking tight to recievers.

The rest of the C.B's- I am actually pretty optimistic to see what brooks is going to bring to the table, hes raw but you can see that both the talent and work effort are there. He is bigger then advertised and is also incredibly quick. He had a bad read on a play that graham went right by him but I think it might have been zone so im not sure. He needs work but I could see him at worst being our future nickel corner. Mcgee is on his last legs, he was jogging around the field and didnt do anything that stuck out to me. I see him getting cut and while im sad I just dont think he fits our mold and keeping him around doesnt net us anything. Rodgers looked more then capable at the nickel as did Mckelvin who I cant really say had a bad play.

Safeties- Byrd and Wilson looked pretty good, Byrd had a pick and wilson was really energetic on the sidelines getting everyone fired up or teaching rookies on things they did wrong. Something that did stand out to me was the fact that we really need another safety seeing as our 4th one was Josh Nesbitt who either didnt practice or just didnt do anything noticeable. Searcy is coming along and had a few nice plays.

R.B. The one who really stuck out to me was C.J Spiller in every aspect. He seems to improve with every run and his vision is becoming excellent. He also ran a couple perfectly executed screens and ran behind his blockers and then took off with blazing speed. He had probably 4 runs of 10 plus yards. He also ran a couple all the way to the endzone (extra 30 yds) after Fred did it which is great to see. Fred had a rough start as Dareus and Williams really shut him down early but ended up with a few nice runs and had a good reception. He looks 100% recovered from the leg injury and doesnt seem to have lost a step. Johnny White was non-existent.

W.R- Wasnt really impressed with Derek Hagan, possesses the prototypical size and speed but just cant catch the ball with his hands. Easley definitely showed that he could be the number 2 today and had a couple of balls that he caught in double coverage and definitely showed that he has speed for the outside. Donald Jones was non-existent. He had one nice catch on the sideline but also had a bad drop and I just cant remotely see him as having the talent for a number 2. T.J really really surprised me in a good way. He was much bigger then I anticipated and actually has enough size as opposed to roscoe to be on the outside. He is blazing fast and actually his hands were his most impressive attribute of the night. What I also saw was after practice he was working on his hands and going over routes with a wide receiver coach for another 30 mins after practice was done. He seems to really want playing time and if he keeps playing like that he deserves to get it. If I had to do the wide recievers today it would be S.J, Easley, Nelson, Graham, Hagan as the top 5.

Other notes: Lindell/Potter was fairly close. Neither mixed but Potter seemed to take longer to take kicks and seemed much more blockable then lindell (I know that its kindof random just something I noticed). Moorman certainly realized the staff was not happy with him because he looked great. Powell wasnt even close to him and Moorman was consistently booting 60 yarders.

Thats all I got.

Very good assessment there. I agree with just about everything. I promised I wouldn't bag on Brad Smith but I understand the frustration. Let's just hope that Chan has a plan and it works.