Bills Receivers impressed by rookie CB Gilmore (jw)

Bills Receivers impressed by rookie CB Gilmore (John Wawrow) http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-receivers-impressed-rookie-cb-000041087--nfl.html

''I don't know how to say it, but he's up there with some of the DBs in the league who've been playing for a couple of years, and he hasn't even played one play,'' receiver Stevie Johnson said Saturday. ''Really, I don't want to speak too highly, but it's hard to not speak highly of somebody that can play as well as he has from rookie minicamp all the way up until now.''

Johnson is not alone in touting Gilmore, who was drafted 10th overall out of South Carolina.

I was at practice Thursday and Saturday, and while Gilmore looks very good, he also looks like he needs to learn the rules about illegal contact and pass interference in the NFL.

The defenseless WR rule and don't bump heads has forced DB's to become more up in your face and physical. The better DB's in the league can do it without crossing the fine line and getting called for a penalty.

I was at practice Thursday and Saturday, and while Gilmore looks very good, he also looks like he needs to learn the rules about illegal contact and pass interference in the NFL.

Gilmore told me he has one speed whether it's in practice or in games.

i am curious to see how far officials will let a rookie go, because Gilmore has shown he's not afraid of contact or using his hands in holding up receivers coming off the line.

he had to be reminded by coaches about bringing players to the ground during the first-two non-contact sessions. then again, i think it might be easier to reign in a player than to ask him to ramp it up. one thing's for sure, he has been impressive. can't seem to remember how Nate Clements did in his first rookie camp, but i'll say that Gilmore has been one of the more impressive, mature and complete rookies the Bills have had in camp for quite some time.

jw

I agree. Looks like he will get beat deep and have a lot of penilties until he gains exp. After 20 yds looks back for the ball to soon, gives free release off the line & than puts his hands all over WR's. Very physical on slants. Reminds me a lot of Nate Clements

i am curious to see how far officials will let a rookie go, because Gilmore has shown he's not afraid of contact or using his hands in holding up receivers coming off the line.

he had to be reminded by coaches about bringing players to the ground during the first-two non-contact sessions. then again, i think it might be easier to reign in a player than to ask him to ramp it up. one thing's for sure, he has been impressive. can't seem to remember how Nate Clements did in his first rookie camp, but i'll say that Gilmore has been one of the more impressive, mature and complete rookies the Bills have had in camp for quite some time.

jw

I just can't say enough good things about :worthy: Buddy Nix. Adding a shutdown corner to the Bills Defense is going to help Buffalo take on some of the best Offenses in the NFL and come out on top. MERCY!!!!

Great read jw, thanks!

I Billieve!!!

jw

Just the few highlights that have been posted so far show an intensity and amazing ability in this kid. There's fire in the eyes ... when you think about our pass rush this year that will lead to hurried throws by quarterbacks there will be plenty of pickin's for those DB's.

And, while I am thinking about it ... John Wawrow, thanks for being an active participant on this board. Your professional insight is always welcome! :worthy:

The defenseless WR rule and don't bump heads has forced DB's to become more up in your face and physical. The better DB's in the league can do it without crossing the fine line and getting called for a penalty.

Or, Stephon can learn how to cheat like Revis and grab the receiver when the refs are not looking...

Just to clarify my OP, I think Gilmore is awesome. He is a really talented player and it shows while watching practice. That being said, he did have several plays, including a long INT that was discussed in another thread (by 5 Wide, i think) where he was clearly holding the WR's hand in order to not get beat. A few other times, I saw him bumping WRs well past the allowed 5 yard "Contact Zone." I just think he needs to be coached up and review the film of himself in order to not make those mistakes in the regular season.

Great article JW. Glad to see this kid is doing so well he's earning the respect of the vets in camps. Sounds like he's really got the possibility of being great. Of course we all want the next Revis, but if this kid turned out to be as good as Clements we will be in some really good shape in the future of our secondary.

You have to be physical to become an elite corner imo. Like Revis. Stephon can work on toneing it down during camp.

But he sure looks and sounds like the real deal which is surpising this early on and i have no problem with him getting in the opponents face on the first play. "Here I am, and i dont think you can beat me today" attitude is alright by me.

Man its been so long since the bills had any top nfl talent. Now there are peranial probowlers, first rounders looking like talented starters instead of long term projects, and even starting quality players in back up spots. .

Chan/Buddy- gotta thank you for making bills fanhood an enjoyable hopeful pusuit instead of a miserable affliction. The last decade was long.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

jw

Wow. Thats some high praise from a respected opinion. Thanks JW.

Or, Stephon can learn how to cheat like Revis and grab the receiver when the refs are not looking...

It's not cheating when you're good, it's good technique. Cheating is when players do it to make up for mistakes. When you are a big, physical CB, and cover that way, they let you do it. THIS is exactly what we need, and exactly what makes Gilmore a top pick.

I saw what you saw on Thursday, but my impression was "We finally have a top notch CB who isnt afraid to jam WRs and knock them around".

I'm not worried about it, and am pretty sure people will be talking about how great of a coverage guy he is soon enough.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

I just can't say enough good things about :worthy: Buddy Nix. Adding a shutdown corner to the Bills Defense is going to help Buffalo take on some of the best Offenses in the NFL and come out on top. MERCY!!!!

Great read jw, thanks!

I Billieve!!!

:thumbsup: