Two Practices Down Aaaannnnddddd.......

Booger

Merriman misses his first practice.....Today

No blasting the topic yet, actually hope it is minor as I love the way the D has shaped up but this is TERRIBLE news for Merriman and the Bills with his history. Lets hope not!!!

He`s being pretty quiet on his twitter . He usually rants on.

Is anyone actually surprised? This has been Merriman's M.O. for the past several years. I admit, I didn't think he'd pull this stuff quite so early, but I knew it was coming. The Bolts wouldn't put up with it. Why should we?

Welcome to the collapsing world of Shawne "Man Down" Merriman.

-Buddy, can we please cut this guy already?

After reading the reports and comments, and knowing the role Merriman is expected to play, this isnt a big deal. Yet. And if he does end up unable to play, no biggie as he isnt even a starter anyways. I'd rather have him, but if not, we are more than ok.

From what Gailey says (and I do take what Gailey says to be the truth), I'm not that worried:

"He rolled an ankle yesterday late. He taped it up and finished but we held him out today. He went through the walk-throughs this morning so it is not like it is a hobbling thing. We are going to make sure he is ready to go before we bring him back."

Even though it isn't serious, the timing of this injury isn't great for Merriman. While Merriman heals, other players are gaining valuable reps in practice. Gailey already said the day before that Merriman would likely only see the field during passing downs this year.

It's not like Merriman needs these reps to work on his technique, or gain experience. Keeping him healthy it the most important part. Even if he wants to sit out until Week 1, imo. ;)

Edited by DrDareustein

Is anyone actually surprised? This has been Merriman's M.O. for the past several years. I admit, I didn't think he'd pull this stuff quite so early, but I knew it was coming. The Bolts wouldn't put up with it. Why should we?

Welcome to the collapsing world of Shawne "Man Down" Merriman.

-Buddy, can we please cut this guy already?

Exactly what "stuff" is he "pulling" and why is it in our best interest to "cut this guy already"?

Merriman is now a depth player, he heals or he doesn't, Anderson is the starter.

This - Anderson and Kelsay. Merriman is #3 on the depth chart and special packages.

We have some players that Chan said before camp started, he would give rest days to. Merrriman was one of those.

and so far the guy has had a great burst and gotten off the ball well.

Whats nice about our team this year is we have depth.

Not to worry. He played/finished taped up so he is not down. Resting him just makes sense to me.

Merriman is gonna have a huge year for the Bills and will be a major contributor in what will be a smashingly successful season.

A lot of guys in this thread are gonna be eating crow and I won't be one of them.

There's still an element of luck with injuries, but I think (even with a missed practice) he's about as healthy as he's been in years and ready to make an impact. Even playing with one arm last year, he was a force. He really may be able to fill a role like Abraham for the falcons - less than 50% of the snaps and still a regular on highlight reels.

If I'm reading the transcript of Gailey's interview after tonight's (Sunday's) practice, Merriman participated in practice… not sure to what extent:

"On DE Shawne Merriman not taking an extra day to rest the ankle that kept him out of yesterday’s practice:

He wanted to be back out here. He would not stay out. And that is great. That is the attitude you hope they all have. But he wanted to be out here."