Romney opens 5 point lead over Obama

Id guess Ryan helps with Independents nationally, and kills Florida for Romney. Team Obama will run Ryan's positions on Social Security and Medicare nonstop in Florida.

The selection of Ryan doesn't swing any voters or help with any states. Wisconsin is a true blue state

It's an idealogical pick and is setting the stage IMO for the Republicans agenda in Obama's second term and possibly setting Ryan up over Rubio as the party favorite for 2016 nominee

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id guess Ryan helps with Independents nationally, and kills Florida for Romney. Team Obama will run Ryan's positions on Social Security and Medicare nonstop in Florida.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I live in Florida and I saw the demagoguing that crist tried to lay on Marco Rubio for his stance on the need to reform social security and his embrace of Medicare. Rubio spoke to Floridian seniors with sincerity, and as a result seniors overwhelmingly supported Rubio. Also, did you hear Ryan's speech? He spoke convincly about leaving a better future for the next generation, he spoke with clarity regarding the debt and it's consequences and that is something seniors care about.

I believe he will be a net positive for Florida and I say that because I believe he can communicate this with more conviction and effectiveness than anyone.

Ah, the old "faith in the electorate" comment. Oh, please.

Anyway, Connie Mack called Ryan's budget "a joke" and Ryan's proposals are/were very unpopular in FL. Thats just reality. But, hey, there is time turn it around but I wouldnt be surprised if Obama's folks feel a little easier about FL.

No it's not, Rubio fully embraced Ryan's budget and he crushed crist

Totally different dynamic.

It is a different dynamic, but the larger point remains, which is if you are honest and straightforward about the difficult choices we face and ffer solutions then you can get rewarded for doing so, and the big thing they have going for them is that there is no better communicator on this issue, than Paul Ryan .

It is a different dynamic, but the larger point remains, which is if you are honest and straightforward about the difficult choices we face and ffer solutions then you can get rewarded for doing so, and the big thing they have going for them is that there is no better communicator on this issue, than Paul Ryan .

You mean the guy who proposed what voters dislike? It is interesting that neither Romney nor Ryan mentioned it today.

Edited by Max Fischer

It will be discussed

Barring him burning down the building, I am voting for Romney but I do not think he will win the election or Florida. Love Ryan and hope the vetting comes up clean so he can run in 2016.

To respond to a point above, I seriously doubt Wisconson is in play.

Barring him burning down the building, I am voting for Romney but I do not think he will win the election or Florida. Love Ryan and hope the vetting comes up clean so he can run in 2016.

To respond to a point above, I seriously doubt Wisconson is in play.

Didn't you say a while back that you've never voted for the winner?

If we took up a collection, could you please vote for Obama? ;)

Didn't you say a while back that you've never voted for the winner?

If we took up a collection, could you please vote for Obama? ;)

I've said for a while that Obama wins this easily and yes, I've never voted for the presidential winner. The polls bear this out...Magox/World is the poll master and can find gems in the polls that show little signs for Romney but even he has to concede that the trend is for Obama right now. The VP pick should give Romney a temporary boost in a few states. We will see if there is a bigger effect. Usually isn't. Romney chose a guy the country needs, but not necessarily one that will help him win.

Edited by John Adams

I've said for a while that Obama wins this easily and yes, I've never voted for the presidential winner. The polls bear this out...Magox/World is the poll master and can find gems in the polls that show little signs for Romney but even he has to concede that the trend is for Obama right now. The VP pick should give Romney a temporary boost. We will see. Romney chose a guy the country needs, but not necessarily one that will help him win.

I do hope you are wrong about the 1st part, though I wouldn't put it past my fellow Americans to prove you're right. The bolded part I disagree with. I don't think the country needs Ryan in the VP slot because he can't DO anything there. In his current role, he can be a voice of sanity trying to lower spending and get entitlements to a point where they aren't forced to insolvency. For that reason, I'm not happy that he's the VP candidate. I would have preferred to see one of the Governors being touted as the VP nominee. (Probably leaning towards the NM Governor, but didn't know enough about her to say she was definitely my choice.) And I do think that he helps Romney more than hurts him; he will bolster Romney's fiscal conservative credentials, inspire Tea Partiers, and is pretty much the anti-Palin, and will likely help with Independents even though he probably makes FL tougher for Romney to win.

Three months to go before the Elections. So it is kind of early to tell. But will end up in Fla and Ohio as well as Pa.

PA is a solid blue state. It will only swing red in a strong Republican year. Wisconsion is also a reliable Democratic state

This years election will be held in Ohio, Florida, Iowa, and Virginia. If any of those states goes for Obama it's over. If the election spills over into Colorado or New Hampshire then Obama might start sweating

PA is a solid blue state. It will only swing red in a strong Republican year. Wisconsion is also a reliable Democratic state

This years election will be held in Ohio, Florida, Iowa, and Virginia. If any of those states goes for Obama it's over. If the election spills over into Colorado or New Hampshire then Obama might start sweating

Obama will win Ohio, Florida, and Virginia but maybe Romney can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Romney has no shot in PA.

Edited by John Adams

I've said for a while that Obama wins this easily and yes, I've never voted for the presidential winner. The polls bear this out...Magox/World is the poll master and can find gems in the polls that show little signs for Romney but even he has to concede that the trend is for Obama right now. The VP pick should give Romney a temporary boost in a few states. We will see if there is a bigger effect. Usually isn't. Romney chose a guy the country needs, but not necessarily one that will help him win.

Depends which polls you look at. The daily trackers are identical to where they have been, and Florida, virginia, Iowa and Colorado have recently shown movement back towards Romney , and they are all within the margin. There also was a poll conducted by one of the independent polling outfits from Virginia that polled northern Virginians , which if Obama wins Virginia he needs to win this region by close to double digits, and it was a dead heat.

So we have conflicting data coming out. I don't believe that independents will vote for Obama, I just don't see it. I believe that people sometimes get caught up in the moment and see a couple polls and they tend to panic. I do believe that the dynamic needed to shake up, and this pick certainly does that.

He will appeal to independents who care about the economy and debt.

He will appeal to some younger undecided voters.

He will appeal to some female undecided voters.

He will appeal to Catholics.

he will appeal to the Midwestern, rust belt region

He will big time with Wisconsin .

But more importantly, he will fire up the conservative base and tea partiers. This cannot be underestimated.

From what I'm reading, they are going to produce a new budget, so we will have to see how they roll it out. Don't forget, Romney will have a lot more money to spend in these last few months, and Ryan is one of the most prolific fundraisers in all of congress, there will be a flood of business money that will come in. So Romney will have plenty of ammunition at their disposal. And considering Florida, Ohio, Iowa , nc , Colorado and Virginia are within the margin, they are in a good position to take those states.

If they perform as they have over the past month, then they will lose. If they step up their game, they win.

So it's going to be a matter of execution.

One more point, let's not forget how high obamas disapproval ratings are. He just hit a yearly low on both the Gallup and Rasmussen polls on the same day. I highly doubt that is coincidental. Plus he is seriously upside down on his approval ratings on the economy, debt and right way wrong track. Not to mention consumer confidence is hitting the lows for the year. People want change

Those undecideds are just looking for a credible alternative

Edited by WorldTraveller

I have to assume all the retirees in Florida will hate Paul Ryan as the learn more about him.

The selection of Ryan doesn't swing any voters or help with any states. Wisconsin is a true blue state

It's an idealogical pick and is setting the stage IMO for the Republicans agenda in Obama's second term and possibly setting Ryan up over Rubio as the party favorite for 2016 nominee

It was an adult pick. It forces Obama to come up with a realistic plan that saves medicare and social security for people 50 and younger. Everyone knows these programs are insolvent. Romney has a real plan, Obama's plan is the do nothing and go bankrupt Greece model.

I know that a lot of people here think this race will be close, I don't. I think the American people, as they always do, save this country from the total destruction of four more years of Obama and they do it in a big way.

You mean the same way they hated Marco Rubio for proposing the exact same thing in his senatorial race?

The liberals were all over the airwaves yesterday talking about how Romney gave up on Florida because the Ryan plan wants to kill seniors. The fun part of that meme is when you find people repeating it, you quickly know who to stop responding to. The left may try to scare the elderly...again...but the elderly are not as stupid as the left needs to believe. The Ryan pick does not pull Romney out of Florida.