Cleveland Browns up for sale

So, I was watching ESPN yesterday, and on the screen comes up a tidbit about the Browns being sold to a guy who said he was "a 1,000 percent Steelers fan".

In shock, I look over to my Ohio native girlfriend and she is royally pissed off, and then comes 5 minutes of contempt and fire and brimstone.

It turns out that ESPN must have done this for shock value, because when you read where the quote was made and in what context, it makes sense. The buyer, Jimmy Haslam of the Pilot/Flying J truck stop fortune, is actually from Tennessee and is a minority investor in the Steelers without any firm attachment to the team as a fan goes:

Haslam has been a minority investor in the Steelers and in a 2010 profile told the team's Steelers.com Web site that he had been a Dallas Cowboys and then an Indianapolis Colts fan. But with the Pittsburgh investment, Haslam said he had become "1,000 percent a Steelers fan." The Steelers, of course, are the Browns' chief rival.

The Haslam brothers are supporters of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, where their father Jim Haslam played tackle on the 1951 national championship football team under Gen. Robert R. Neyland, who is credited with building the school into a football powerhouse.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8205396/pittsburgh-steelers-fan-jimmy-haslam-negotiations-purchase-cleveland-browns

Shame of ESPN for being deceptive on their ticker! What do you expect?

Edited by BmoreBills

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I missed that part -- I had only seen the "1,000 percent Steelers fan" thing and thought, "I can only imagine what Browns fans are thinking."

So, I was watching ESPN yesterday, and on the screen comes up a tidbit about the Browns being sold to a guy who said he was "a 1,000 percent Steelers fan".

In shock, I look over to my Ohio native girlfriend and she is royally pissed off, and then comes 5 minutes of contempt and fire and brimstone.

It turns out that ESPN must have done this for shock value, because when you read where the quote was made and in what context, it makes sense. The buyer, Jimmy Haslam of the Pilot/Flying J truck stop fortune, is actually from Tennessee and is a minority investor in the Steelers without any firm attachment to the team as a fan goes:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8205396/pittsburgh-steelers-fan-jimmy-haslam-negotiations-purchase-cleveland-browns

Shame of ESPN for being deceptive on their ticker! What do you expect?

The part you bold could be just as misleading as it still only quotes the same "1,000 percent a steelers fan" line. I'd like to see the entire quote and not somebody's paraphrasing/contextualizing of it.

Edit: And personally I wouldn't want somebody buying the Bills who was every an owner of the Dolphins/Jets/Pats and had a quote like that no matter why he said it - but that's just me.

Edited by MDH

Another show of the sports leader being sports entertainment and not sports education. The goal is ratings #1

I have many problems with ESPN too (repetitive, redundent)...but you know, sports are entertainment. And, of course their goal is to get ratings...this isn't anything that is a new phenemenon.

Edited by Buftex