Starting Cornerbacks

Luxy312

Don't look to trade McKelvin.....he's going to play well this year. he will aslo see a lot of time on ST.

Expect Gilmore and A. Williams to be the starting CBs with McGee covering the slot receiver. Versus the Pats, expect McGee to cover welker. We need McGee's quickness and smaller stature to cover a guy like that, who I think is the key to keeping drives alive for NE.

Eexpect us to cover NE as follows in the nickel or dime:

Welker vs McGee

Lloyd vs A. Williams

Gronk vs Gilmore

Hernandez vs Wilson/Scott

Ridley/Vereen/etc. vs Barnett.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't look to trade McKelvin.....he's going to play well this year. he will aslo see a lot of time on ST.

Expect Gilmore and A. Williams to be the starting CBs with McGee covering the slot receiver. Versus the Pats, expect McGee to cover welker. We need McGee's quickness and smaller stature to cover a guy like that, who I think is the key to keeping drives alive for NE.

Eexpect us to cover NE as follows in the nickel or dime:

Welker vs McGee

Lloyd vs A. Williams

Gronk vs Gilmore

Hernandez vs Wilson/Scott

Ridley/Vereen/etc. vs Barnett.

Gronk v Gilmore! I CANNOT WAIT!

McGee is already out of practice. I dont care how nice his contract is, if he cant physically hack it, we dont have the roster spot to waste.

As of our first day of camp, our starting CBs went:

Gilmore

Williams

McKelvin

Brooks

Rogers

Aaron will be one of the top 10 best CB's in the NFL in 2012.

Based on what? He showed nothing as far as "very good play" to lead anybody to believe that.

Id love to agree with you, but thats just wild speculation. I would be ecstatic to see solid play wth mimimal mistakes... id cum in my pants if he became a top ten nfl cornerback

McKelvin will be the third CB. He may be the most physically gifted of all our DB's. McGee will be the dime CB. I could see Williams and Gilmore matching up to the taller WR's and TE's while McKelvin and McGee line up against the smaller wide-outs regardless of whether they line up inside or out.

At some point you stop nursing him and cut him. It's one of those things when you know the team has really improved when it can cut a "player" like McKelvin.

I know every year we have to have a whipping boy (that sounds racist) McKelvin will not be cut, he will have a breakout year and at a minimum get 4 Ints. He is tough and will be key to our defense. If I'm a betting man McKelvin over McGee.

Gaughn in the Buffalo News says this:

"McGee is the prospective starter at cornerback opposite rookie Stephon Gilmore. In passing situations, McGee moves inside to cover a slot receiver, and Aaron Williams enters as an outside corner. With McGee out of team drills, Williams is starting outside and Leodis McKelvin covers the slot in the nickel defense."

Based on what? He showed nothing as far as "very good play" to lead anybody to believe that.

Id love to agree with you, but thats just wild speculation. I would be ecstatic to see solid play wth mimimal mistakes... id cum in my pants if he became a top ten nfl cornerback

Then I would buy an extra pair of pants, because he already has the skill set to be one, and he will be one by the end of the season.

I'm sorry to say that McGee seems to be dropping down the depth chart. He's done a lot of work with us, and I hope that he stays on for experience but if he's already not 100%. When we drafted Gilmore I was sure that Gil would the nickel corner to start but at this point I really think it's going to be him and Williams.

Apparently Gilmore got beat by Stevie a few times yesterday, but also had a few good plays. Signs of progress

This bills team is a team biult to beat New England and dethrone them

- Large corners will start because the pats deploy 2 TE sets (and just signed another one)

- You will see a lot of extra safetie sets against the pats taking a linebacker off the field.....also countering the multiple TE formations

Expect to see a lot of Scott and Searcy on the field in Pats games

The Bills corners need to be able to matchup against Welker and Lloyd not the TE's. You don't want large corners to do this.

The Bills corners need to be able to matchup against Welker and Lloyd not the TE's. You don't want large corners to do this.

Doesn't matter. They'll drop a nickel into a soft zone on either side to take care of Welker.

A couple of things here

NO CORNER looks good without a pass rush.....you are basing your opinion from last year where

a. We had no pass rush

b. He got hurt....stunting his development

DESPITE all that....he was doing a fairly decent job on the larger receivers which is why we drafted him....to put size vs size on the field and not get owned by these big physical wide receivers that are the trend of the NFL nowadays

There is no reason to believe that he would not take a HUGE step in performance given the pass rush that will be in front of him.

Your not looking at the reality of the situation......

- Tom Brady is not a deep ball guy to begin with.....he is an extremely accurate pick you apart QB who has the ability to throw long.

- Do you REALLY think the Toms gonna throw long with this pass rush bearing down on him? No....I dont see Loyd being a huge factor in our games (not that we dont have the speed on defense to deal with him....we most certainly do) but the pressure that Mario, Darius, Williams, Anderson, Merriman, etc etc are going to create he is not going to hold onto that ball

- Which means that he will focus on his tight ends and Welker

- Welker is gonna get his...no matter what....but we have the dbs that can keep him in front of them....the idea is to force Brady to throw short to Welker and his tight ends....then be solid in our tackling and force 3 and outs.

- Also....in the new scheme with just 4 rushing we will flood passing lanes....Brady does not do well with this as shown in the giants games (and we have a far better secondary then the Giants do) and he might hold onto that ball just one second too long.

The deep ball is not going to be an issue in our games

Your not looking at the reality of the situation......

- Tom Brady is not a deep ball guy to begin with.....he is an extremely accurate pick you apart QB who has the ability to throw long.

- Do you REALLY think the Toms gonna throw long with this pass rush bearing down on him? No....I dont see Loyd being a huge factor in our games (not that we dont have the speed on defense to deal with him....we most certainly do) but the pressure that Mario, Darius, Williams, Anderson, Merriman, etc etc are going to create he is not going to hold onto that ball

- Which means that he will focus on his tight ends and Welker

- Welker is gonna get his...no matter what....but we have the dbs that can keep him in front of them....the idea is to force Brady to throw short to Welker and his tight ends....then be solid in our tackling and force 3 and outs.

- Also....in the new scheme with just 4 rushing we will flood passing lanes....Brady does not do well with this as shown in the giants games (and we have a far better secondary then the Giants do) and he might hold onto that ball just one second too long.

The deep ball is not going to be an issue in our games

My point is the Bills corners shouldn't be employed because they are "large" and therefore matchup well against Gronk and Hernandez as you suggest. The Bills corners are not going to be used to cover the Pats TE's so they had best excel covering the smaller wideouts the Pats will employ.

"

- Welker is gonna get his...no matter what....but we have the dbs that can keep him in front of them....the idea is to force Brady to throw short to Welker and his tight ends....then be solid in our tackling and force 3 and outs. "

Welker is gonna get his is correct. His very own Nigel "Night Train Bradham" coming out of nowhere. i think Carder can stay with him too. He has great angle and intuition. Both of these guys can play in space as compared to Shepp and Morrison or Moats.

I have been trying to decide if the team will become stronger in the middle of the field or outside the hash marks. i would like to think we have alot of subpackage options with with these players we have just waiting behind the new and nasty Defensive front.

Folks have said that Dave W. runs a basic deefense but man i hope by half season we can rotate linebackers and corners as well as we will run waves with the front four.

Pneumonic, Williams and Gilmore will cover those guys if they line up outside. And get a good education at first. The little guys can get covered by McKelvin he can stay with them easily.

My point is the Bills corners shouldn't be employed because they are "large" and therefore matchup well against Gronk and Hernandez as you suggest. The Bills corners are not going to be used to cover the Pats TE's so they had best excel covering the smaller wideouts the Pats will employ.

Dude.....do you understand ANYTHING about the Patriots offense?

Who exactly do you think is going to cover their multiple TE sets?

It wont be linebackers......it will either be large corners or putting an extra safety on the field