Should We Bring In Shockey?

H2o

I know he's 32 years old. I know he's not the player he was 4 or so years ago. Would he not be a better option than our other backups still? After Chandler, who is a receiving threat at TE? Shockey could get us another 20 catches or so and maybe a TD or two. If Chandler goes down I think Shockey could be a decent fill in. All this hinges upon whether he is healthy or not, but assuming he is. What say you?

pass.

hasnt taken care of himself, and will always be a handful behind the scenes. his skill is declining faster than he is maturing and hes finally hit the wrong side of the balance on whats worth putting up with.

Does it sound like a good idea? Yes

Is it a good idea? No

This is why:

A couple of additional points (quotes from the article I linked, about the similar Patriots and Giants offense): this offense demands a high degree of knowledge from our WR. . They have to know all the WR roles (for disguise). Moreover, they have to be able to re-interpret their routes based on pre-snap reads - they will run their routes differently depending on what they see: "At times, there are four decisions that a receiver needs to make after the snap the way our offense is,' receivers coach Chad O'Shea told Bedard. "That's one of the advantages of our offense, that we give players a lot of flexibility within the system to take what the defense gives us. And that's definitely something that's unique about our offense."

Two points that follow:

1. This is a very difficult offense for a walk-on WR to come in and contribute, especially a WR whose principle talent is "streak down the field and catch" such as Ochocinco or TO. The routes don't just depend on the play that's called in the huddle. They have to make sight adjustments when they get to their spot in the formation based on where the cornerbacks and safeties are aligned. The routes depend on what the coverage is. You come out and you know what you've got to do, but it may change the whole thing after you get done looking at the coverage."

2. This offense depends heavily on everyone on offense (esp QB and WR) seeing the same thing and being on the same page. the receivers have several options to change their routes on each play, depending on what the defense does. It's complicated and hard to learn, and it can be very tricky for the quarterback and receiver to make sure they're seeing exactly the same thing out of each defender. (...) You don't just, in our offense, go out and run a 12-yard curl or a 10-yard in-cut. We ask them to read a lot of things. We put a lot of pressure on receivers to see things as a quarterback would. It's very difficult as a coach to get those things coordinated."

Given all that, one can see that offensive production would degrade sharply with injuries, if one or more backups weren't on the "same page", because to be effective, it's not enough for one receiver to see the "right things" and be in the "right place" they all have to see the same thing, interpret it the same way, and make the same decisions. Gailey made a couple references to this in late-season press conferences last year: "We have to get the receivers to be in the places he (Fitz) thinks they need to be"

And this is a reason I would be surprised if we pick up WR or FA QB from late round roster cuts and why I'm not surprised at the total lack of interest in TO or Ocho. They just won't be able to contribute as much in our system as they could in some others. It's also why I think there's more of an "if" about Vince Young winning the backup role than some do based upon his sheer physical talent. Gailey loves this offense. He depends on it. And he's not dumbing it down or giving it up willingly. IF Vince Young masters the offense, he will win the backup role. If he doesn't, it depends upon whether or not Gailey thinks he can see future mastery from where VY is on the day he needs to get out the scissors.

That whole big article this morning about the Bills bringing in the right kind of players and cultivating a good locker room should kill any talk of bringing in Shockey.

Yuuup! . . . a nod to Dave Hester

I know he's 32 years old. I know he's not the player he was 4 or so years ago. Would he not be a better option than our other backups still? After Chandler, who is a receiving threat at TE? Shockey could get us another 20 catches or so and maybe a TD or two. If Chandler goes down I think Shockey could be a decent fill in. All this hinges upon whether he is healthy or not, but assuming he is. What say you?

Nope ... head case ... has had his better days ... Chandler is solid as our number one and Shockey would only stir up waters that don't need to be stirred.

That whole big article this morning about the Bills bringing in the right kind of players and cultivating a good locker room should kill any talk of bringing in Shockey.

:thumbsup: And boy we need training camp to start before threads start about every retread out there especially those with major character issues that some on this board seem to think will really help a team that is finally on the same page with each other.

uhhhmmm....NO

From all that I'm reading about Gailey's offense being so complicated and difficult to learn that over the hill, snitch has been won't figure it out until about week 12...no thanks and yes I'm telling you how I really feel:)

He really was never all that good. Sure he had a big personality but his numbers over his career are average at best. The first year or first 2 years fine, but with him broken down and not ever living up to his potential....PASS

I would say without a doubt. Bills need some attitude. TE's get hurt a lot too. Bills have no depth at all. For all those who complain about players getting hurt you should want a player like SHockey in the mix.

The last thing the Bills need is Shockey's attitude.