VMT

Is this proposal in addition to or in lieu of existing tolls and state gas tax?

:w00t:

BTW they have also talked about creating tolls to get out of the city. As of now all tolls are on bridges getting in to the city or on to the peninsula. I pay $5 on the San Mateo bridge every morning and nothing heading home.

:w00t:

BTW they have also talked about creating tolls to get out of the city. As of now all tolls are on bridges getting in to the city or on to the peninsula. I pay $5 on the San Mateo bridge every morning and nothing heading home.

Makes sense that they want to charge more on people leaving :lol:

Maybe they could combine exit tolls with GPS tolls. The further you leave and the longer you are gone, the higher they will charge your Leaving California and no longer paying California Taxes Toll

Makes sense that they want to charge more on people leaving :lol:

Maybe they could combine exit tolls with GPS tolls. The further you leave and the longer you are gone, the higher they will charge your Leaving California and no longer paying California Taxes Toll

If I remember correctly there either is or was an actual penalty in CA for selling your house and moving out of state. Maybe one of you CA guys knows?

Heard this on the news this morning and thought this is the stupidest idea ever. Forcing me to put a GPS device in my car so they can tax me based on the amount of miles I drive?

Pay to drive proposal.

with the tax on the mileage, repairs on vehicle, gas, and probably reg/license renewal fees, it might make better sense to just stay home.

Do you have a qualifying disabilities that might help offset not working?

Let's not let those electric car driving bastages escape paying THEIR FAIR SHARE!

Assess a mileage tax on them at the time of purchase and then again every time their registrations are renewed.

In the paraphrased words of a famous incompetent President of the US, "Somebody else built those roads, they didn't!"

in response to Nanker...

Hmmmm I like the premise of that idea....

A Prius uses less gas right? So they pay less in excise taxes on gas that pays for the highways, right?

Shouldn't they still pay their fair share from road use? An added tax??

Hell, a few years ago when bio diesel was still made in home blenders they went after folks that had Bio bumper stickers for not paying their fair share....

The higher the gas millage??? Pay it when you renew your tag!!!!

YOU fine sir, are a genius!!!!

Bigfatbillsfan

Posted Today, 09:02 PM

Right Wing Circle Jerk!!!!

wow.... really... I am so compressed by your response...

so well thought out, and intelligent...

we are not worthy....

so...

go away please...

Edited by Cinga

Heard this on the news this morning and thought this is the stupidest idea ever. Forcing me to put a GPS device in my car so they can tax me based on the amount of miles I drive?

Pay to drive proposal.

Okay...so the city (yeah, metro area) is going to tax drivers for driving?

How is that supposed to work again? Do they only tax you when you drive in the city? Does that mean if your car's registered outside the metro area, you don't pay taxes? Or do they just tax car owners in the city...in which case, you get taxed when you drive to Oregon? Or do they have a whole new bureaucracy that downloads the GPS data and only counts the miles traveled within the bounds of the metro area (the cost of which negates any benefit of the tax)?

Good plan. :wacko:

Right Wing Circle Jerk!!!!

So you think that people are not paying enough to get to work as it is? That's great. They try to get people to take public transportation in SF after they've raised the fares by 30% :wallbash:

Okay...so the city (yeah, metro area) is going to tax drivers for driving?

How is that supposed to work again? Do they only tax you when you drive in the city? Does that mean if your car's registered outside the metro area, you don't pay taxes? Or do they just tax car owners in the city...in which case, you get taxed when you drive to Oregon? Or do they have a whole new bureaucracy that downloads the GPS data and only counts the miles traveled within the bounds of the metro area (the cost of which negates any benefit of the tax)?

Good plan. :wacko:

Waaaaaaait a minute I get it now. This is their plan to make the bullet train less expensive than driving.

Well, now that we have SCOTUS blessing that taxing can be compulsory for any activity, let's launch trial balloons on everything. Never mind that no one talks about the highly regressive nature of this tax. SF is out of price range even for 1%, so where do the city leaders think that people who provide the services live, and how do they get to work since public transport isn't readily available in those areas?

Pay to drive proposal.

MTC spokesman Randy Rentschler tells the Mercury News, he knows the VMT tax would be a tough sell for commuters, but argues the goal is to reduce traffic and encourage more use of public transit. In addition, having a VMT tax would raise much-needed revenue for street maintenance and public transit improvements.

So much like the cigarette tax, it isn't really meant to cut down use as much as it would be a cash cow for the bloated government programs.