Jets have been quiet

There has been an awful lot of discussion this offseason because our defense has supposedly improved. I also think it has but Sparano coming over from the fish is going to have some tricks up his sleeve with two very fast receivers and Tebow. The Jets have three all pro offensive linemen and a solid running game. Their defense is solid and plays tough under Ryan. They have been quiet thus far in the media possibly because they know that chalkboard by every team you play makes the game tougher. Maybe they just want to play football and let their performance speak for itself. I for one would rather have them shooting their mouths off in an unfocused tirade that would allow us to gain that bit of hunger that may have been missing just a bit.

The players play but this is going to be ultimately Chan vs. Rex. Two guys that have been around football a long time and know each other pretty well. Although, new faces like their offensive and our defensive coordinators, our Williams and their Tebow, our hopeful top two draft picks that have more questions than answers and their fireman our our Elvis. If they don't want to talk yet (and its still early) and give us any more fuel to excite us or any other team, we as fans need to understand that this excitement doesn't mean squat if it doesn't amount to wins.

There has been an awful lot of discussion this offseason because our defense has supposedly improved. I also think it has but Sparano coming over from the fish is going to have some tricks up his sleeve with two very fast receivers and Tebow. The Jets have three all pro offensive linemen and a solid running game. Their defense is solid and plays tough under Ryan. They have been quiet thus far in the media possibly because they know that chalkboard by every team you play makes the game tougher. Maybe they just want to play football and let their performance speak for itself. I for one would rather have them shooting their mouths off in an unfocused tirade that would allow us to gain that bit of hunger that may have been missing just a bit.

The players play but this is going to be ultimately Chan vs. Rex. Two guys that have been around football a long time and know each other pretty well. Although, new faces like their offensive and our defensive coordinators, our Williams and their Tebow, our hopeful top two draft picks that have more questions than answers and their fireman our our Elvis. If they don't want to talk yet (and its still early) and give us any more fuel to excite us or any other team, we as fans need to understand that this excitement doesn't mean squat if it doesn't amount to wins.

I'll agree that it has been a little quiet recently on the Jets front, and they certainly still have a great defense. In terms of their running game however, they finished 22nd in the NFL last season in rushing yards per game, and 30th in the NFL in yards per attempt at 3.8. Nick Mangold is a great center, but their running game hasn't really been the same since they had Thomas Jones and a more dominant offensive line. I don't think their use of Tebow will add THAT much more to what they currently do. I'm not trying to argue...just stating my opinion that their running game doesn't scare me.

Edited by Tommy

I don't think it's been quiet from the Jets camp at all. Between all the Tebow crap, Sanchez's security at his makeshift passing camp, Revis' potential holdout, and shooting his mouth off again; the circus already seems to be starting. It's been anything but quiet over there except for Super. Bowl guarantees.

Plus I refuse to be even the least bit worried about the worst QB in the league and his package of plays along with his buffoon offensive coordinator.

Edited by biglukes

I don't think it's been quiet from the Jets camp at all. Between all the Tebow crap, Sanchez's security at his makeshift passing camp, Revis' potential holdout, and shooting his mouth off again; the circus already seems to be starting. It's been anything but quiet over there except for Super. Bowl guarantees.

Plus I refuse to be even the least bit worried about the worst QB in the league and his package of plays along with his buffoon offensive coordinator.

Yeah, It hasn't been all that quiet over there, I just think we're all noticing that the national media is getting tired of paying attention to their "look at us" coach and all the wind he blows, and the fact that they really haven't made any noteworthy moves.

I dont think they did much to improve their team. They had a malcontent receiver who they decided to pair with a receiver who caught 42 passes in all 4 years at GT (Calvin Johnson caught 42 his freshman year). Besides Mangold and Ferguson their line is average to Wayne Hunter who sucks. Sanchez is a turnover waiting to happen and would anyone take Shone Greene over Spiller, our backup? That defense too is getting old. Dont get me wrong the Jets have talent and our number the last few years, but for the first time in a long time we have a pass rush and a defense worthy of an NFL roster (at least on paper). They dont scare me like they used to and I think we will not only beat them week one, we will demolish them ala Kansas City last year

I dont think they did much to improve their team. They had a malcontent receiver who they decided to pair with a receiver who caught 42 passes in all 4 years at GT (Calvin Johnson caught 42 his freshman year). Besides Mangold and Ferguson their line is average to Wayne Hunter who sucks. Sanchez is a turnover waiting to happen and would anyone take Shone Greene over Spiller, our backup? That defense too is getting old. Dont get me wrong the Jets have talent and our number the last few years, but for the first time in a long time we have a pass rush and a defense worthy of an NFL roster (at least on paper). They dont scare me like they used to and I think we will not only beat them week one, we will demolish them ala Kansas City last year

Bell and Landry were good pickups on defense (although Landry is a risk, health-wise). As long as Ryan is coaching that team, the defense is going to be top ten.

The key is taking advantage of their incompetence on offense. It's embarrassing how bad the Bills' defenses have been the last few seasons, because if they are merely adequate we wouldn't have a problem dispatching this team.

I did find it funny last night as I was watching NFL Total Access.

They had Santonio Holmes on and were talking about the possibility of Joe Flacco getting a new contract.

Holmes was in the camp that Flacco wasn't ready to get the $15mil/year type of contract.

Moose Johnston then said that Sanchez was very similar to Flacco. Both had gotten to the AFC Championship and lost, and that both really weren't the reason that their teams win games. Moose then said that Sanchez was similar in that he also didn't deserve a big contract.

Holmes was very quiet when talk turned to Sanchez.

I don't disagree with the conversation. Just thought that it must have been quite uncomfortable for Holmes when the talk turned to Sanchez, and that made me smile.

Bell and Landry were good pickups on defense (although Landry is a risk, health-wise). As long as Ryan is coaching that team, the defense is going to be top ten.

The key is taking advantage of their incompetence on offense. It's embarrassing how bad the Bills' defenses have been the last few seasons, because if they are merely adequate we wouldn't have a problem dispatching this team.

The thing about a guy like Ryan is that being a "players coach" rarely works in the NFL especially with brash comments, guarantees and picking favorites. Its one reason why I think Harbaugh wont last in SF. It gets old to players, these arent kids, they are men being paid very well to play a game. I think they expect a level of professionalism when it comes to their own livlihoods that a guy like Ryan doesnt display well IMO

The thing about a guy like Ryan is that being a "players coach" rarely works in the NFL especially with brash comments, guarantees and picking favorites. Its one reason why I think Harbaugh wont last in SF. It gets old to players, these arent kids, they are men being paid very well to play a game. I think they expect a level of professionalism when it comes to their own livlihoods that a guy like Ryan doesnt display well IMO

All of that stuff works...when you're winning. Rex earned himself a year of mediocrity (2011) by making the AFC Championship two years in a row, but if the Jets don't get back to the playoffs this season, I see it all ending unceremoniously for Mr. Ryan.

All of that stuff works...when you're winning. Rex earned himself a year of mediocrity (2011) by making the AFC Championship two years in a row, but if the Jets don't get back to the playoffs this season, I see it all ending unceremoniously for Mr. Ryan.

An excellent point and I agree with this whole statement