Mr Businessman, You Didn't Build Your Business

I wouldn't characterize it as "incompetence", that implies a certain level of ineptitude. Actually, one could argue that he is extremely competent when it comes to increasing the size of government, expanding the welfare state through wealth distribution schemes and perpetuating class envy. Obama is the left, he personifies it with great oratory skill, he just happened to make an inartful, clumsy soundbite that was backed up by the rest of his statement that provided all the context for us to see.

"But you're taking the context out of context!"

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't take that out of context, somebody else did it for him

Is the "somebody else did that for you" joke the next thing you guys are going to run right into the ground?

Seriously, get over it.

Even for kraP, this an especially weak post.

Oh well, its been a bad week for him.

OK, now that's really kind of funny. :w00t:

Is the "somebody else did that for you" joke the next thing you guys are going to run right into the ground?

Seriously, get over it.

Not by ourselves. Somebody else will do it for us.

:w00t:

On the other hand, I refuse, and I have no doubt many will join me, in refusing to relieve BF2's butthurt. She will have to do that for herself.

Or she could create a job, and pay someone to do if for her.

But who are we kidding? She will call on her Congressman to hand out Preparation H for free, and invent the "right" to be free from butthurt. After all, it's a women's health issue.

The GOP’s Use of ‘You Didn’t Build That’ Is Racist

By Daniel Foster

Sayeth Jonathan Chait:

"Mitt Romney’s plan of blatantly lying about President Obama’s “you didn’t build that” speech is clearly drawing blood. But what makes the attack work so well is not so much the lie itself but the broader subtext of it. Watch Obama’s delivery in the snippet put together by this Republican ad:

The key thing is that Obama is angry, and he’s talking not in his normal voice but in a “black dialect.” This strikes at the core of Obama’s entire political identity: a soft-spoken, reasonable African-American with a Kansas accent. From the moment he stepped onto the national stage, Obama’s deepest political fear was being seen as a “traditional” black politician, one who was demanding redistribution from white America on behalf of his fellow African-Americans."

For #$&% sake, man. Really? I don’t even have an argument here — which I suppose is fine since Chait doesn’t either.

UPDATE: Okay, on reflection maybe I’m not giving Chait enough credit. Maybe his implicit argument was that Obama should repeat his “You Didn’t Build That” bit, word for word, but this time as a “soft-spoken, reasonable African-American with a Kansas accent.” Then it would resonate. Then people would understand.

I’m all for it. If nothing else, it’d be a neat experiment into whether Jon Chait, or everybody else in America, is insane.

Raaaaaaacists!

By Jonah Goldberg

Dan’s post on Jonathan Chait’s entry into the “if it’s bad for Obama, it’s racist” games is a keeper. What I love about this stuff is that liberals tend to insist how racism is not only repugnant to them, but alien to them. And yet, they continually demonstrate a sensitivity and acuity for spotting it that even real racists seem to lack. They’re like people who claim to be nose deaf (if you prefer, anosmic) who nonetheless insist they can pick up an exotic scent from miles away (“A lactose intolerant armadillo has grown flatulent over by the old Miller farm . . .”).

I don’t think liberals appreciate how much conservatives laugh at this stuff. We’re constantly being told we’re racists and that conservatism is full of racist codes and dog whistles aimed at conservatives. And yet the only people who consistently decipher these codes or hear these dog whistles are liberals themselves. Most of the time it’s a form of projection of course. Liberals see themselves as sinless and heroic on matters racial, so their opposite numbers in politics must be sinful and villainous on matters of race. It’s a form of lazy categorical thinking that completely fails to take account of reality in order to sustain a self-serving narrative.

Jonah Goldberg

The GOP’s Use of ‘You Didn’t Build That’ Is Racist

By Daniel Foster

Sayeth Jonathan Chait:

For #$&% sake, man. Really? I don’t even have an argument here — which I suppose is fine since Chait doesn’t either.

UPDATE: Okay, on reflection maybe I’m not giving Chait enough credit. Maybe his implicit argument was that Obama should repeat his “You Didn’t Build That” bit, word for word, but this time as a “soft-spoken, reasonable African-American with a Kansas accent.” Then it would resonate. Then people would understand.

I’m all for it. If nothing else, it’d be a neat experiment into whether Jon Chait, or everybody else in America, is insane.

Utterly retarded. "Let me defend the President from racism by reducing him to a racist stereotype. Because everyone else is racist!"

The only defense Chait has for that obscene article is that he didn't write it, somebody else made it happen.

Keith Hennessey

The policy consequences of “you didn’t build that”

FTA;

Here the President dismisses the importance of intellect and effort as contributors to success. Is there any more charitable way to interpret this text?

While in the Roanoke remarks President Obama stresses the importance of government as a contributor to the economic success of businesses, in other contexts he emphasizes the importance of luck in economic success. He frequently refers to the rich as “blessed” and “fortunate.” . . .

In these cases and many others President Obama describes the rich as passive recipients of blessings or good fortune. He rarely credits skill, intelligence, savvy, hard work, or risk-taking as contributors to economic success. According to the President’s language, the rich are that way because they are blessed and fortunate (i.e., lucky), not because they worked harder than others, or were smarter, or savvier, or took bigger risks or sacrificed more. In this framework, success is given to you, not earned by you.

The key policy implication is that if he can convince enough people that you didn’t earn your success, he’ll face less opposition when he tries to take the fruits of your success for himself. And that’s what this whole “you didn’t build it” thing is about. I’m not taking your property away — it was really mine all along!

Nice read.

This narrative is cribbed almost verbatim from the narrative of George Lakoff, a progressive linguistics activist and Professor at Berkeley. Like Warren, Lakoff was one of the academics who helped frame how the Occupy Wall Street movement presented itself. Lakoff's writings andtheories seek to transform progressive politics and he is a frequent speaker on how progressives can reframe the political debate.

Lakoff developed a linguistic narrative that progressives needed to counter conservatives by focusing on the role of government in enabling individual success, a narrative in which

on his or her own:

Get ready Tea Party, another bailout!

http://news.yahoo.com/house-act-livestock-drought-aid-speaker-boehner-163916336.html

Bailing out the rugged individualist farmers :worthy:

Do you have any idea what is included in the bill? It's mostly food stamps for the rugged individualists, you imbecile.

Had to put this somewhere from a comments section on an article I'll never find again:

"Snow White, Superman and Pinocchio go for a walk together. They come to a sign saying "beauty contest inside" and Snow White says she wants to enter it. She does and returns thirty minutes later with a big smile saying: "I won". A little while later they come upon a sign saying "strong man contest inside". Superman says he wants to enter it and comes back a few minutes later with a smile saying: "I won it"! Shortly they come upon a sign saying "lying contest inside". Pinocchio says he wants to enter it and five minutes later returns with tears in his eyes saying: "Anybody know who Barack Obama is?"