Voter ID requirement may affect black voter turnout, Dems Fear

The article makes mention of voter registration fraud, but not voter fraud--two completely different things.

I do, however, agree that making an argument against requiring a voter's identification is categorically absurd.

And yes, assuming that minorities are incapable of obtaining identification is racist, not "soft" racist, straight...up...racist.

I agree. Nothing wrong with having ID to vote. Then it is going to be if they registered on time? Some were all up in arms about Motor Voter.

The whole point here is to make it hard and disenfranchise as many as possible.

Everybody supposedly has a ss #... Why can't they vote. When it comes to prez... You vote as a state... Screw the whole ditricts this and that...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Nothing wrong with having ID to vote.

The whole point here is to make it hard and disenfranchise as many as possible.

How embarrassing for you.

You try to make reasonable points on voting districts and you screw it up with a bigoted comment

Repetition does not make it so.

You gotta SS #, you can vote anywhere in the country via your home state.

That's discriminatory against illegal aliens the undocumented residentially-impaired who wish to participate in their new homeland.

You racist bastard.

Edited by Koko78

How embarrassing for you.

You try to make reasonable points on voting districts and you screw it up with a bigoted comment

Repetition does not make it so.

I am not saying just one party is trying to disenfranchise... BOTH parties are doing it. How is that bigoted?

That's discriminatory against illegal aliens the undocumented residentially-impaired who wish to participate in their new homeland.

You racist bastard.

Gotta draw the line somewhere. :nana:

so they are pretty much admitting they don't want these laws because it will hurt the President's re-election bid. Nice...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-07-10/black-voter-turnout-naacp-obama/56135158/1

So .... ok, sounds like another racist republican comment. What else is new?? The Fox News Channel called, they said keep up the good work.

The problem with voting is it goes beyond a simple ID. That ID is tied to a residence and specific polling place that may be constantly changing. I would be all for the ID thing if one could just walk into any polling place and vote like one goes into any video store and rents a movie... Anywhere in the country.

There is only one election that people in different states have in common... That is the prez. election. That election should be standardized for all. They could still have the electoral college with the states. The election should be separate an unified. Today's systems and technology would enable this now more than any other time in history. You gotta SS #, you can vote anywhere in the country via your home state.

You're conflating the concept of voting districts with ID requirements.

For all of the people who do not have these photo ID's, are they going to be provided to them for free so they can vote??

Ok, this is a serious question, because I honestly don't know the answer: do some citizens actually not have photo IDs? How do they buy cigs and liquor? Or open a bank account? Is it because they're poor? Then how do they collect government assistance?

For all of the people who do not have these photo ID's, are they going to be provided to them for free so they can vote??

Or are we going to enforce a poll tax?

Quit playing dumb fjl2nd, it doesnt help the discussion.

You know darn well that ID's ARE provided free (to those who need assistance) in the states that require them.

You seem to just want to type "Poll Tax" as much as possible....................lol

Quit playing dumb fjl2nd, it doesnt help the discussion.

You know darn well that ID's ARE provided free (to those who need assistance) in the states that require them.

You seem to just want to type "Poll Tax" as much as possible....................lol

Haha.

Honestly, I'm not sure on each's state's rules on obtaining IDs. If the states can do that, great.

Still haven't seen instances of mass voter fraud anywhere though....

Ok, this is a serious question, because I honestly don't know the answer: do some citizens actually not have photo IDs? How do they buy cigs and liquor? Or open a bank account? Is it because they're poor? Then how do they collect government assistance?

Yeah, apparently it's more common that you would think. I seen something about Philadelphia county yesterday where 14% or something don't have State issued IDs. It might have been 14% of blacks, not sure.

You're off the chart.

Awww, thanks! :blush:

Or are we going to enforce a poll tax?

Right, because only minorities are poor, thus requiring American citizens to meet the bare minimum expectations is the second coming of Jim Crow.

I really can't tell you how disgusted I am with the views you're supporting.

Right, because only minorities are poor, thus requiring American citizens to meet the bare minimum expectations is the second coming of Jim Crow.

I really can't tell you how disgusted I am with the views you're supporting.

I'll admit, this got a laugh out of me.

Do some research for christ's sake!

Allegations of Voter Fraud

Biggest Analysis of voter fraud....EVER! The Truth About Voter Fraud

From the paper:

It is more likely that an individual will be struck by lightning than that he will impersonate another voter at the polls.

VOTER FRAUD IS BASICALLY NON-EXISTENT. Period.

Edited by fjl2nd

VOTER FRAUD IS BASICALLY NON-EXISTENT. Period.

So why is there a problem with promoting voter ID laws? What do you fear? Every state doing this is not only providing free IDs, but many are actually providing the transportation.

There is simply no sane, logistical argument to NOT want voter ID laws. Not one. If there was, there would have been no need for everyone to show an ID when Holder spoke to the NAACP about being against voter ID laws.

At some point we have to believe if you are smart enough to crawl out of bed, turn on a computer, get on the internet and post a comment, you MUST be smart enough to understand how embarrassingly stupid it is to suggest this voter ID laws disenfranchise minorities.

It's mind-numbingly stupid, and yet you seem up for the task.

Yeah, apparently it's more common that you would think. I seen something about Philadelphia county yesterday where 14% or something don't have State issued IDs. It might have been 14% of blacks, not sure.

Awww, thanks! :blush:

Why is that? Your answer in black and white. Why do they not have ID's? Is it some Goverment conspiracy to keep them from voting? Too expensive? Or maybe they had ID's but they expired and going down to renew your ID with warrant's on your name is not a good idea? I really what to hear your thought's this.

I'll admit, this got a laugh out of me.

Do some research for christ's sake!

Allegations of Voter Fraud

Biggest Analysis of voter fraud....EVER! The Truth About Voter Fraud

What didn't get much of a laugh out of me was your insinuation that much of the black community is simply incapable, either by laziness or incompetence, of securing a photo ID, such that requiring voters to present an ID is motivated only by race.

Its moments like this where I find myself wondering if maybe, just maybe, Dave In Elma has got a point. And that is disgusting.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2012/0711/In-Pennsylvania-the-Rosa-Parks-of-voter-ID-faces-down-GOP-voter-suppression/%28page%29/2

When under President George W. Bush the Justice Department undertook a massive investigation of voter fraud, it ended up charging just 120 people (it convicted 86) in federal elections involving millions of voters.

A

In Florida, one of the leading states in enacting new voter ID requirements, the St. Petersburg Times (now the Tampa Bay Times) noted that voter fraud is rarer than shark attack. In the presidential election year of 2008, there were 28 shark attacks but only 16 voter-fraud cases, and in 2010, shark attacks outnumbered voter fraud 14 to 10.

Yup, totally disenfranchise millions of citizens to catch a few crooks who don't make any difference. The Nazis would approve of this

So why is there a problem with promoting voter ID laws? What do you fear? Every state doing this is not only providing free IDs, but many are actually providing the transportation.

There is simply no sane, logistical argument to NOT want voter ID laws. Not one. If there was, there would have been no need for everyone to show an ID when Holder spoke to the NAACP about being against voter ID laws.

At some point we have to believe if you are smart enough to crawl out of bed, turn on a computer, get on the internet and post a comment, you MUST be smart enough to understand how embarrassingly stupid it is to suggest this voter ID laws disenfranchise minorities.

It's mind-numbingly stupid, and yet you seem up for the task.

What's the point of fixing something that isn't a problem? If anything, you could make things worse by not allowing some to not vote anymore. You're potentially cutting a lot of people out of their voting rights only months before an election.

Why is that? Your answer in black and white. Why do they not have ID's? Is it some Goverment conspiracy to keep them from voting? Too expensive? Or maybe they had ID's but they expired and going down to renew your ID with warrant's on your name is not a good idea? I really what to hear your thought's this.

I couldn't tell you why they don't have IDs. Not my business.

I've heard that a lot of them are older people who don't really drive. ID's may have expired but it doesn't have to be over a warrant.

What's the point of fixing something that isn't a problem? If anything, you could make things worse by not allowing some to not vote anymore. You're potentially cutting a lot of people out of their voting rights only months before an election.

To help Republicans win