Voter ID requirement may affect black voter turnout, Dems Fear

I'm not denying the possibility of it happening. But the fact of the matter is there's no evidence support that it IS happening.

If you can prove otherwise--that fraudulent votes are being cast in great numbers--then so be it.

But all the data I've seen suggests the opposite.

Maybe there's no evidence of this occurring because there's no system in place to deter or catch those engaging in fraud?

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there's no evidence of this occurring because there's no system in place to deter or catch those engaging in fraud?

And I've got no system in place to determine whether or not somebody's sneaking into my room at night and plucking out my hairs one by one, but I'm not wringing my hands trying to come up with a solution to stop it...

And I've got no system in place to determine whether or not somebody's sneaking into my room at night and plucking out my hairs one by one, but I'm not wringing my hands trying to come up with a solution to stop it...

Maybe you should, baldy.

The Big Cat:

I'm not sure how you can be arguing that we have to wait until disaster has already struck before we should put in place a plan to avert it. It's like advocating putting on a condom after you've already gotten her pregnant.

I don't believe I'm arguing for that at all, actually. In fact, I think there are myriad ways to make the voting process more transparent and honest, and I don't think asking for an ID is an extreme or disenfranchising method.

What bothers me is that people keep equating voter registration fraud with actual voter fraud.

If that were occurring you would have evidence in the form of no hair. Don't you think there might be a problem with a system which cannot prevent fraud or detect fraud after the fact? A grocery store with no inventory system claims theres no evidence of theft. Guess that settles it.

If that were occurring you would have evidence in the form of no hair. Don't you think there might be a problem with a system which cannot prevent fraud or detect fraud after the fact? A grocery store with no inventory system claims theres no evidence of theft. Guess that settles it.

We have no--ZERO--safeguards against voter fraud!?

The Big Cat:

OK, lets make a list of all of the reasons a person might register to vote...

Maybe I'm not reading the thread carefully enough, but I don't think anyone is conflating voter registration fraud with voter fraud. I think it's more of a "where there's smoke, there's probably fire" thing.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Maybe I'm not reading the thread carefully enough, but I don't think anyone is conflating voter registration fraud with voter fraud. I think it's more of a "where there's smoke, there's probably fire" thing.

Right, except in this case there'a A LOT OF SMOKE and a single blade of grass engulfed in flames somewhere, according to investigations into voter fraud.

The Big Cat:

IIRC, there was monetary incentives for organizations to register as many voters as possible, leading the voter registration organizations to fraudulent register the LA Lakers roster, etc.

I could be wrong about this, but there's a reason to register that leads to fraud.

Yeah, in Russia.

Well then, if there is no fraud, there is nothing for anyone to worry about. Just show your free-to-obtain voter ID or driver's license when you vote and there's no problem.

Sorry, should I parrot some made-up stuff by conservative bloggers like everyone else?

You could demonstrate some type of knowledge of the subject in discussion or add an opinion rather than parroting some stuff posted by others. Just a suggestion.

Well then, if there is no fraud, there is nothing for anyone to worry about. Just show your free-to-obtain voter ID or driver's license when you vote and there's no problem.

I agree. I did like you suggested earlier and searched "voter fraud." Here's what I found:

* Fraud by individual voters is both irrational and extremely rare.

* Many vivid anecdotes of purported voter fraud have been proven false or do not demonstrate fraud.

* Voter fraud is often conflated with other forms of election misconduct.

* Raising the unsubstantiated specter of mass voter fraud suits a particular policy agenda.

* Claims of voter fraud should be carefully tested before they become the basis for action.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/resource/policy_brief_on_the_truth_about_voter_fraud/

You could demonstrate some type of knowledge of the subject in discussion or add an opinion rather than parroting some stuff posted by others. Just a suggestion.

Thanks, I'll be sure to note that I'm held to a higher standard when I don't I agree with you.

You have no locks on your doors?

Why should he have locks his doors? Nobody has ever broken into his home.

Burglary must be a myth

But burglary happens so infrequently, I don't see it as a serious problem. Therefore, locks on doors are totally unnecessary IMHO....

(throws fuel)

Edited by Cinga