What does "Fitz needs to be better" mean?

There have been a number of threads on TSW in which posters have said that a better Bills record depends on Fitz playing better this season. There are people who consider him to be "average."

In your opinion, does Fitz "doing better this season" mean A) more touchdowns, fewer INTs; B) same number of touchdowns, fewer INTs; or C) more touchdowns, more INTs.

Asked a different way: would you accept am average Fitz who is a leader, has intangibles that can lead the Bills to 10-11 Ws, and puts up average passing numbers?

Discuss.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been a number of threads on TSW in which posters have said that a better Bills record depends on Fitz playing better this season. There are people who consider him to be "average."

In your opinion, does Fitz "doing better this season" mean A) more touchdowns, fewer INTs; B) same number of touchdowns, fewer INTs; or C) more touchdowns, more INTs.

Asked a different way: would you accept am average Fitz who is a leader, has intangibles that can lead the Bills to 10-11 Ws, and puts up average passing numbers?

Discuss.

More sustained drives - fewer 3-and-outs

Completion percentage like the beginning of the season, not the end

Fewer mistakes - especially turnovers

We get those 3 things, doesn't matter if he throws for more TDs, we'll get more scores run pass or kick.

So many times we'd have 3rd and reasonable and we'd see a low percentage long bomb when an FJ run or a nice short pass woulda converted. I don't know if that's Chan's play calling or Fitz audibling but whoever whatever it's got to go.

at the beginning of last season fitz had that 'it' factor that you see in the best qbs. he had a presence on the field that transcended everything else, like he was in a zone of perfect focus. as with other qbs who find that zone, you could see it even as he broke huddle and walked to the line, like he knew exactly what was going on and was going to exploit it. and that definitely translated into the rest of the offense, as evidenced by the efficiency in the amazing and impressive comeback wins (plus a healthy dose of luck in beating the cheaters)

as the injuries piled up you could see that zone just disappear. his posture was different even as he lined up, his subtle swagger was gone, he wasnt rising above the competition any longer. perhaps it was the injury stealing some of his confidence, perhaps it was the weight of having to do even more in the wake of a collapsing defense not giving him turnovers like they were, perhaps it was some buckling under the pressure of the new contract and everything else sort of crumbling around him, but he was simply not the same player

so being better is being more consistently in that zone. they have a tremendous offensive line now, loaded with depth that should keep them functioning well even if they lose a couple starters. they have two terrific backs, a real te threat, and a legit wr1 and enough talent that a viable wr2 should emerge. probably most importantly, they wont have a defense hemorrhaging yardage and scores and forcing him to try to save the day. so really he has no excuses and needs to show he can reach that zone most games, and especially importantly all throughout the season

Fitz needs to be better= Ryan Fitzpatrick (not Fitzgerald, not Fitz, not Fitzy, not the Amish Rifle, not the temp), starting QB for the Bills, needs to be better in all aspects of his game, both physically and mentally, with more touchdowns, less interceptions, more accuracy (especially on deep balls), more zip on his intermediate throws, and good decision making.

Does that cover it all?

well Mike i see it this way Right Now. And i can change my mind pretty quick. This upcoming seasons players and coaching look like we can run out a reasonable or decent bunch of defensive players to the field and expect them to hold their ground this year. And give the ball back to Fitz. If he can reduce interceptions and Chan can make better use of the run we might have something.

Game Patience is what Ryan might have to learn more about when the defense hold its own this year.

The thing with Fitz (in my opinion) is consistency. There are times when he looks like Manning/Brees. Then there are times when I think I could go down there throw a better pass, myself. If he can replicate (for all 19 games this year) what he did before he hurt his ribs in the Redskin game, then I don't think he needs to improve. He just needs to be that QB we saw he could be last year.

He really doesn't need to be much better. As long as he keeps the sacks low (like he always has) hands the ball off to Fred and run for the occasional first down.

His usual accuracy and ball speed is really all they need to outscore most opponents.

Remember, this defense has added 10 sacks, a handfull more forced fumbles and a slew of QB pressures resulting in a bunch more INT's.

Fitz just has to stay healthy and keep being Fitz.

Yea - its weird how elite physical skills and a track record of success on a big stage can sway opinions.

It's a fact that Fitz's accomplishments are filtered by his draft status, even years later. Just look at Sam Bradford for comparison. Being the #1 pick overall buys you a lot of mulligans.

PTR

It's a fact that Fitz's accomplishments are filtered by his draft status, even years later. Just look at Sam Bradford for comparison. Being the #1 pick overall buys you a lot of mulligans.

PTR

And excuses! Doesn't have this, doesn't have that...

To the OP's question, an improved Fitz will, to me, simply show more consistency. Fewer of the "WTF" throws at a receiver's feet, more 3rd down conversions, etc. I'm very comfortable with his knowledge of the offense and decision making.