Unbelievably sad video out of Greece...NY

I know kids can be ****ty...and I know they were, even back in the "good old days"... but just in case you have forgotten...not for the faint of heart:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/greece-school-district-bullied-footage-causes-outrage_n_1612925.html?1340215853&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D171675

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad part is that a grown adult sat there and let the kids do this to her. She's a bus monitor for God's sake. It goes like this lady. "Stop the bus now. You, you and you......off the bus." We have become a society afraid of children.

The sad part is that a grown adult sat there and let the kids do this to her. She's a bus monitor for God's sake. It goes like this lady. "Stop the bus now. You, you and you......off the bus." We have become a society afraid of children.

I remember growing up, if I ever had a conflict with a teacher (really any adult), or another kid at school or in the neighborhood, my parents never took my side...I was always guilty as charged, even if I wasn't. It wasn't fair, but I think it made me avoid a lot of potentially bad situations. Fear starts at home!

I am not sure that it really has a lot to do with "public vs private" education, as Dave suggests. I think parenting is more the issue. If a kid is scared straight at home, they aren't as likely to partake in this kind of thing, even if unsupervised.

Chef, I couldn't bare to watch that thing again, but I didn't see another adult present. Are you referring to the bus driver?

Another disturbing thing about this, the kid who filmed this, and posted it on youtube, it seems posted it because he thought it was funny...but now he is changing his tune, saying he posted it because he wanted to point out how !@#$ed up kids are...it sure sounds like the camera holder is participating in some of this...could be wrong...

A huge controversy has developed...one website was trying to identify the kids...some of the kids id'd are having their homes protected by police...

Edited by Buftex

I remember growing up, if I ever had a conflict with a teacher (really any adult), or another kid at school or in the neighborhood, my parents never took my side...I was always guilty as charged, even if I wasn't. It wasn't fair, but I think it made me avoid a lot of potentially bad situations. Fear starts at home!

I am not sure that it really has a lot to do with "public vs private" education, as Dave suggests. I think parenting is more the issue. If a kid is scared straight at home, they aren't as likely to partake in this kind of thing, even if unsupervised.

Chef, I couldn't bare to watch that thing again, but I didn't see another adult present. Are you referring to the bus driver?

Another disturbing thing about this, the kid who filmed this, and posted it on youtube, it seems posted it because he thought it was funny...but now he is changing his tune, saying he posted it because he wanted to point out how !@#$ed up kids are...it sure sounds like the camera holder is participating in some of this...could be wrong...

A huge controversy has developed...one website was trying to identify the kids...some of the kids id'd are having their homes protected by police...

I think Chef was referring to her. Did you ever have an old female teacher that terrified you? Sister "No Nonsense" would have had those kids pushing the f'n bus. That doesn't change the fact that I think these little schits shouldn't be thrown under the bus. The bus should go from "drive" to reverse" over and over.

This is what happens when nobody is responsible for their actions but everybody gets a trophy

It's also what happens when catering to self-esteem trumps demanding self-control.

"Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage". Thucydides

It always amazes me that the liberal clowns who support "everybody gets a trophy"....have thus far been unable to learn something that we've known for 2400 years.

Internal goal setting, and then the self-control to stay on task and achieve those goals, is where self-esteem comes from. It does NOT come from external coddling, or unearned trophies.

It certainly doesn't come from "preparing the path for the child, rather than the child for the path". Just ask the people who prepared the path for Obama. :lol:

It's also what happens when catering to self-esteem trumps demanding self-control.

"Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage". Thucydides

It always amazes me that the liberal clowns who support "everybody gets a trophy"....have thus far been unable to learn something that we've known for 2400 years.

Internal goal setting, and then the self-control to stay on task and achieve those goals, is where self-esteem comes from. It does NOT come from external coddling, or unearned trophies.

It certainly doesn't come from "preparing the path for the child, rather than the child for the path". Just ask the people who prepared the path for Obama. :lol:

post-9928-024524100 1340245738_thumb.jpg

Fear does start at home, but it doesn't help to have a spineless school district:

Julia VanOrman, president of the Greece school board, she’s been inundated with outraged messages and emails from people infuriated by the video and calling for the students to be harshly punished.She hopes the incident can serve as a teachable moment for a wider discussion on how to treat other people, children and adults alike.

“Instead of letting what happened rip us apart as a community, I hope it helps bring us together,” she said. “This (incivility) is a problem not just in this district but of the nation, and what are we actually doing about it,” she said. “… What are we all going to do to make sure this doesn’t happen on another bus in another school district tomorrow?

Uhhm, you punish the crap out of the kids? Worked well for a few millenia.

You can't just drop kids off any-ol'-where.

The sad part is that you don't see the real sad part in that these kids have zero respect for adults and authority figures. (Whoa! Inception sadness!)

What people also aren't seeing is that these are the kids of parents who got a trophy for everything; This is a new generation of entitled children. Too many "adults" (and I use the term loosely), have an exaggerated sens of self-importance paired with a warped concept of personal responsibility.

If these kids' parents did their job as parents, the bus aide shouldn't have to deal with a scathing attack in the first place. But it's her fault for not being a B word? Even when you were in school, not every teacher or authority figure was a ruthless dictator. Do people really expect every adult involved to be breathing down kids' necks? Or is it at all reasonable to expect kids to behave like they have an iota of respect for others?

Public schooling. Nuff said.

Fear does start at home, but it doesn't help to have a spineless school district:

I'll grant you the schools are reluctant to suspend kids because it makes them look bad. If you suspend less kids, you instantly have data to "prove" you are doing a better job.

But what can a school do that a parent can't do better?

This is what happens when nobody is responsible for their actions but everybody gets a trophy

Bingo!

Edited by uncle flap

You can't just drop kids off any-ol'-where.

Bull!@#$ingshit!!

"Off the damn bus you little !@#$s and use that smart phone to dial your loser parents to come pick you up".

Let's see who'd be crying now. God we've turned into a bunch of spineless wimps.

I think it's more accurately afraid of parents. The kind that would successfully sue the school over their precious snowflake's traumatic walk home after getting kicked off the bus.

I think it's more accurately afraid of parents. The kind that would successfully sue the school over their precious snowflake's traumatic walk home after getting kicked off the bus.

Successfully sue the school for kicking your kids off the bus when there is video evidence of verbal abuse. No. Don't think so.

Successfully sue the school for kicking your kids off the bus when there is video evidence of verbal abuse. No. Don't think so.

Well, I won't even pretend to know the specifics about liability in this regard. But I can guarantee that one of those hyperprotective helicopter Moms would make life a living hell for somebody. "My poor Dalton could have gotten heat stroke! :cry: "

But yeah, I'd have slapped the little !@#$ers and thrown them off too.

Well, I won't even pretend to know the specifics about liability in this regard. But I can guarantee that one of those hyperprotective helicopter Moms would make life a living hell for somebody. "My poor Dalton could have gotten heat stroke! :cry: "

But yeah, I'd have slapped the little !@#$ers and thrown them off too.

So we have some little douches verbally abusing a lady in front of a few dozen witnesses and it's been recorded and placed on YouTube and we have to worry about some douchette making our life hell. No. Don't think so.

So we have some little douches verbally abusing a lady in front of a few dozen witnesses and it's been recorded and placed on YouTube and we have to worry about some douchette making our life hell. No. Don't think so.

Well sure, in retrospect since we know it was taped. I'm not disagreeing about what should have happened, Chef. But I can certainly understand why any bus driver/monitor would be reluctant to take those measures given the potential for backlash.