Los Angeles Kings: Stanley Cup Champs

Congrat;s to the LA Kings! What a team! I hope the Sabres learned something from them! I watched the last 5 minutes just to see the celebration and I was shocked to see the reaction by the fans as the clocked ticked down in the end, I was thinking of myself in the First Niagara center and imagined a much more intense scene! Buffalo fans are truly a spectacular thing I can only imagine what it would have been like if the Sabres were the ones winning the cup??? Anyone else see that and feel the same way??? Hope to see Bills fans go crazy this year!

Its because the Lakers have us spoiled. (Even though I'm a clipper fan)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While mocking LA sports teams is a time-honored tradition, I couldn't get a hate-on for that club. Those guys did it the way it's supposed to be done and I give them the nod for a title they earned and deserved.

:lol:

The butterknives playing a series with that squad would have looked like a tennis match.

6-2, 6-0, 6-1

Nice compliment Simon. You are right. They deserved it.

#8 Seed

Up 3-0 in all 4 series of the playoffs!!! Has that ever been done by a #8 seed? Wow.

Great job by the Kings. The management has do a nice job of building through the draft and some fantastic FA's. Mitchell, Richards, Carter and Stoll all were key. Plus I can't believe how they kill penalties. Difference maker in close games.

#8 Seed

Up 3-0 in all 4 series of the playoffs!!! Has that ever been done by a #8 seed? Wow.

Forget the 8 seed. No NHL team has ever done that before, regardless of their seed.

Forget the 8 seed. No NHL team has ever done that before, regardless of their seed.

I know this doesn't fit the criteria... BUT

1977 Montreal Canadiens come close (if not the same)... Only three series though... Yet, they won... 4-0, 4-2, 4-0.

Kings lost more total... No? One more series though.

That second series vs. the Isles... Game three was won by the Isles.

I would still take the 1977 Habs as most dominant ever...

Again... Less total series... Detroit was perfect the whole palyoffs... 8 wins... I know they play more series now... But they were perfect. Hence the trhowing of the octopi! :P

And then of course there's the 88 Oilers that went 4-1, 4-0, 4-1, 4-0. They lost game 3 in each of those series. There was also the screwy "tie" in game 4 of the finals against Boston due to a power outage in the Garden.

#8 Seed

Don't forget, the Kings knocked off the 1, 2 and 3 seeds in the west on their way to the cup.

:lol:

The butterknives playing a series with that squad would have looked like a tennis match.

6-2, 6-0, 6-1

I'm thinking more like the Saw movies, with blood and dead bodies strewn about.

Edited by inkman

The Kings are L.A's only sports franchise that was born there, and not moved in...not counting the MLS Galaxy because, well, no one counts them.

PTR

Does Anaheim count as "LA?" Ducks were born there, but what about the Halos?

Anyway... Good point, never thought about it. Even the LA Rams were not born there... Didn't they move from Cleveland or something?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Anyway... Good point, never thought about it. Even the LA Rams were not born there... Didn't they move from Cleveland or something?

Does Uniondale or Newark count as New York City?

PTR

The Angels got "moved" to LA in name only. People in OC do NOT consider themselves as LA.

Does Uniondale or Newark count as New York City?

PTR

Does Orchard Park count as Buffalo? Same if the Bears played in Schaumberg... The team would still be the Chicago Bears... Funny how certain areas associate with the city around it while some don't.

Anway... I would think Uniondale yes. The Isles do get a pass because New York counts as a city and state. Now, Newark no... Different states... Same as if the Bears moved to Hammond, IN... That would be a no to "Chicago Bears" even though Chicago and Hammond share a border.

Anaheim... I think of LA. Sorry to offend you Chef... :nana:

The Angels got "moved" to LA in name only. People in OC do NOT consider themselves as LA.

Okay I was wrong. According to Wikipediathe Angels were an expansion team granted to Los Angeles and played in Dodger Stadium for its first few years. So the Angles were born an L.A. team, like the Kings and Galaxy. Does moving to Anaheim disqualify them?

Does Orchard Park count as Buffalo? Same if the Bears played in Schaumberg... The team would still be the Chicago Bears... Funny how certain areas associate with the city around it while some don't.

Anway... I would think Uniondale yes. The Isles do get a pass because New York counts as a city and state. Now, Newark no... Different states... Same as if the Bears moved to Hammond, IN... That would be a no to "Chicago Bears" even though Chicago and Hammond share a border.

Anaheim... I think of LA. Sorry to offend you Chef... :nana:

You are correct on Uniondale. It's as far from Queens/Brooklyn as Orchard Park is from Buffalo.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Okay I was wrong. According to Wikipediathe Angels were an expansion team granted to Los Angeles and played in Dodger Stadium for its first few years. So the Angles were born an L.A. team, like the Kings and Galaxy. Does moving to Anaheim disqualify them?

You are correct on Uniondale. It's as far from Queens/Brooklyn as Orchard Park is from Buffalo.

PTR

No, I don't think it disqualifies them. It would be the same thing if the Bears played in the suburbs. This is the same thing as Anaheim or the Bills playing in OP.

Yet, PTR... You are almost spot on... The Kings are truly born in LA... Especially during a time (1967) when everything was transplanted to LA from some othere place (that is really its history)... LA is a great hockey town... Where (area) the Zamboni was invented and truly revolutionized ice sports...

Congrats LA!

PTR

Uniondale is on Long Island and that

I believe is a burrough of New York City.

My team is the Dallas Cowboys. We are

the same age as the Bills. 1960-1971, we

played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

In 1971, we moved to a new stadium in

IRVING Texas.

In 2009, the team moved to ARLINGTON

Texas.

All this being said, we are called the Dallas

Cowboys!!