Howard Stern's 'Susan Boyle' moment

i agree it was a complete and utter shock at how good he was...

but as far as a set up...hearing Stern this week talk about how blown away he was at the guy that was fake, unless its done even behind the judges back, i don't know...perhaps the look is all a gimmick to enhance the drama of it, but i don't know, the parents were backstage saying they had no idea...i would like to think i would at least overhear my son singing a soprano operatic song....but hell...who knows...so far no dirt online....

i mean - youd think theyd accidentally walk in on him, or overhear it down the hall.... find a bunch of weird records around the house and get curious? something?

ive heard of stuff like this before where the family didnt know before a singer hit it big, but it A) was someone that went to a band practice and just did it out of the house with other people and B) was fairly mainstream singing without shocking talent or huge projection of high notes required.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there is a lot of editing that goes on to make these auditions looks more dramatic after the fact, but Howard has said many times that the producers go out of their way to vet the contestants. I believe that Howard himself would be the first to blow the whistle on AGT if there were shenanigans.

Of course there is a lot of editing that goes on to make these auditions looks more dramatic after the fact, but Howard has said many times that the producers go out of their way to vet the contestants. I believe that Howard himself would be the first to blow the whistle on AGT if there were shenanigans.

Isn't the fact that the producers vet the contestants shenanigans? :unsure:

Isn't the fact that the producers vet the contestants shenanigans? :unsure:

I mean vet their background stories for the ones they do pieces on. This week there was also a country singer who claimed to have sustained a head injury when he took a grenade in Afghanistan that caused his stutter. It came out after the show aired this week that he made it up. Maybe this goth/opera kid pulled one over on them too, but I don't think the show itself is going out if it's way to manufacture these auditions.

I mean vet their background stories for the ones they do pieces on. This week there was also a country singer who claimed to have sustained a head injury when he took a grenade in Afghanistan that caused his stutter. It came out after the show aired this week that he made it up. Maybe this goth/opera kid pulled one over on them too, but I don't think the show itself is going out if it's way to manufacture these auditions.

But my point is out of all the people in line why did they just happen to pick him out to talk to. Seems like quite a coincidence. And no one's heard him sing? Where does he practice? On Mt Everest??

I just want to point out that none of these controversial, lying contestants showed up until Howard became a judge.

But my point is out of all the people in line why did they just happen to pick him out to talk to. Seems like quite a coincidence. And no one's heard him sing? Where does he practice? On Mt Everest??

Good questions, but if others have heard him before or more importantly if he's had a vocal coach, they are bound to be irritated if he's lying and I would think he'd be outed soon.

Ok I must preface this with I've never seen the show before but yeah I've gotta call BS too. So with all the other people in line they spent that much time talking to just one person who just happened to be a great singer?

My understanding is they go out a lot and interview a lot of people in the crowd. The also do a prerehearseal prior to the main audition. Likely, they saw the kid in the premies and went and got the back story while he waited to go on stage and waited some more...

It was too perfect. The whole thing just too perfect. From the kids look, to his over the top "IM AN OUTCAST!!" personality, to the crowd's reaction, etc.

And then there is this....

The kid had the whole singing thing DOWN. He looked like a pro out there. But somehow his parents had NO CLUE? This kid says he practiced in the house, but his parents, who judging by their appearance at the place with him and the signs and who obviously support him somehow NEVER heard him? EVER? What? Did they think he was just 'combing his hair' all those times he was locked away in his room for hours?

Im calling BS on this one.

My parents both worked very long hours the entire time I was growing up. They had no idea I could do anything other than eat their food and do chores.

They weren't working they were avoiding being around you

My parents both worked very long hours the entire time I was growing up. They had no idea I could do anything other than eat their food and do chores.

For all of these types of shows with these kind of tryouts, I've always had the impression that they do those street interviews after they've been picked. They've always got a ton of on the street footage with people who are picked.

I just want to point out that none of these controversial, lying contestants showed up until Howard became a judge.

Dang, not ONE of you Stern lovers is going to bite on this? You guys are no fun.

This kid is obviously a tortured teen. Though perhaps that's redundant.

The song he sang in full falsetto is Puccini's: "Oh! mio babbino caro" from Gianni Schicci which, considering the brief view into his personal life that was on display is telling. Quite ironic too that his clueless parents weren't aware of the song's meaning.

Enjoy...

O Mio Babbino Caro Italian Lyrics

O mio babbino caro,

mi piace, è bello bello,

vo'andare in Porta Rossa

a comperar l'anello!

Si, si, ci voglio andare!

E se l'amassi indarno,

andrei sul Ponte Vecchio

ma per buttarmi in Arno!

Mi struggo e mi tormento,

O Dio! Vorrei morir!

Babbo, pietà, pietà!

Babbo, pietà, pietà!

O Mio Bambino Caro English Translation

Oh my dear father,

I like him, he is very handsome.

I want to go to Porta Rossa

to buy the ring!

Yes, yes, I want to go there!

And if my love were in vain,

I would go to Ponte Vecchio

and throw myself in the Arno!

I am pining and I am tormented,

Oh God! I would want to die!

Daddy, have mercy, have mercy!

Daddy, have mercy, have mercy!

Edited by Nanker

Go play soccer. Happy?

I appreciate the effort to appease me, but the thrill is gone...