More than 2,000 players unite to sue NFL

Breaking News: More than 2,000 former NFL players unite in suing league, alleging it "deliberately ignored" risks of head injuries. http://fxn.ws/LxWoKH

This many players and widows standing together may just be big enough to get real attention from the public.

Edited by scribo

Sue the NFLPA too and I wont have a problem with this

it'll be interesting to see this play out. i'm wondering what documentation they have that reveals the nfl 'deliberately' kept information from them to put them in harms way, other than the obvious type of game that was played. i also wonder what role assumption of risk will play in this whole thing, it think you're sort of hard-pressed to claim that you had no idea that there might be long-term health ramifications to large people crashing into each other day in, day out over an extended period of time. Also...are they suing the college they played for? High school? Pop Warner?

follow the money.

Next thing you know and smokers are gonna want to sue the tobacco companies...

Anyway, I would guess nearly all of the plaintiffs aren't claiming actual injury (yet), but they are suing for not being warned. Not sure what the damages are in a case without damages. The guy with ALS won't get far with his case. No link.

This could be the end of football as we know it. If the players win it will give them the ability to go after Helmet Manufacturers, College football, and High school football. AT some point the cost would be to high for most high schools and some colleges to have a football program.

honestly i don't think the players have a good case. it's called inherent risk. You know that as a football player there is a chance to get hurt. Body part shouldn't matter.

This could be the end of football as we know it. If the players win it will give them the ability to go after Helmet Manufacturers, College football, and High school football. AT some point the cost would be to high for most high schools and some colleges to have a football program.

honestly i don't think the players have a good case. it's called inherent risk. You know that as a football player there is a chance to get hurt. Body part shouldn't matter.

You mean, I didn't have the future I wanted from being a HS standout in football because I got dinged a few times and that caused my brain to not develop? It all makes sense now; I am going to sue my HS!

I can see a lawsuit coming on this a mile away. 40-year-old-has-been sues former HS because he was "amazing" then and now a schlub.

Sue the NFLPA too and I wont have a problem with this

Yeah where was the NFLPA during all of this? Oh thats right padding its pockets too. That said, they aren't going to win and odds are it might even get tossed out. So many legal issues here that can get this tossed its not even funny.

They won't win. Assumption of risk, and how the hell can someone sue decades after an event happened? Statute of limitations for starters, and how are you suing and employer today that his making every possible change and safety upgrade possible? TODAYS NFL can't pay for yesterdays NFL.

Sorry guys, this just isn't going to happen.

Also I know Joe D is loved by old school Bills fans, but the man was paid for what he did in accordance with how the League was making money back then. His retirement was set the same, but now the NFL is a multi billion dollar business the old school guys want more money. Ok increase their retirements a little but to me its pure bull **** to keep asking for more and more money.

I think like you, everybody who has ever played football be it pop warner , high school, college or pro you know you are going to get hurt at some time.

I played street ball, high school and college and I got hurt every yr I played in some sort of way. Even got dinged a couple of times. But the point is you know the risks when you put on that uniform.

I dont see how they gonna win the case. Following this one closely.

Yeah where was the NFLPA during all of this? Oh thats right padding its pockets too. That said, they aren't going to win and odds are it might even get tossed out. So many legal issues here that can get this tossed its not even funny.

They won't win. Assumption of risk, and how the hell can someone sue decades after an event happened? Statute of limitations for starters, and how are you suing and employer today that his making every possible change and safety upgrade possible? TODAYS NFL can't pay for yesterdays NFL.

Sorry guys, this just isn't going to happen.

Also I know Joe D is loved by old school Bills fans, but the man was paid for what he did in accordance with how the League was making money back then. His retirement was set the same, but now the NFL is a multi billion dollar business the old school guys want more money. Ok increase their retirements a little but to me its pure bull **** to keep asking for more and more money.

I agree they should get more money, the league can afford it. But it's not the leagues fault that they didnt have high paydays back in the day.

The guys that built the league to what it is are just unlucky they payed when they did.

I think like you, everybody who has ever played football be it pop warner , high school, college or pro you know you are going to get hurt at some time.

I played street ball, high school and college and I got hurt every yr I played in some sort of way. Even got dinged a couple of times. But the point is you know the risks when you put on that uniform.

I dont see how they gonna win the case. Following this one closely.

I agree they should get more money, the league can afford it. But it's not the leagues fault that they didnt have high paydays back in the day.

The guys that built the league to what it is are just unlucky they payed when they did.

Exactly. They are pissed all these young kids have it easier and get paid all this stupid amount of money. Guess what? THAT IS LIFE!

Say more?

The NFLPA is just as responsible for the well-being and safety of the players. During the whole labor conflict the NFLPA was leading everyone to believe that the league did not take the players well-being in to consideration; as if they have always felt this way and as if it had always been this way.

Well, if they have always felt that way and "known" it...then why are they not the ones pushing the league for safety? Why are they not saying to Vilma he was wrong, Joey Porter chill, and Gooddel cancel the Pro Bowl? Maybe it is the politics of a union that the smallest voice is as powerful and important as anything else regardless of the great good. But, if these 2,000 players truly want the game to change they need to do what is right and press the NFLPA, too.

The NFLPA is just as responsible for the well-being and safety of the players. During the whole labor conflict the NFLPA was leading everyone to believe that the league did not take the players well-being in to consideration; as if they have always felt this way and as if it had always been this way.

Well, if they have always felt that way and "known" it...then why are they not the ones pushing the league for safety? Why are they not saying to Vilma he was wrong, Joey Porter chill, and Gooddel cancel the Pro Bowl? Maybe it is the politics of a union that the smallest voice is as powerful and important as anything else regardless of the great good. But, if these 2,000 players truly want the game to change they need to do what is right and press the NFLPA, too.

Good points, jboyst, thanks for the explanation.

When my sanity goes, I'm suing the Bills.

Ah...who'm I kidding? "When." :lol:

I know we have a class action lawsuit here. 3 million Bills fans who actually kept supporting this joke of a franchise through

ineptitude seen rarely in the history of sports.I think the insanity part has been proven.Question is...How much money do we get?