refs are locked out but they still have the possibility of a STRIKE&#3

cushy 6 figure job? try $25,000 to $70,000.

http://www.therichest.org/sports/highest-paid-nfl-referees/

http://www.job-employment-guide.com/nfl-referee-salary.html

http://www.ask.com/answers/68681181/what-is-the-average-salary-for-an-nfl-referee

http://averagesalarys.info/interesting-facts-about-nfl-referee-salary/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_salary_for_an_NFL_referee

For how important they are to the outcome of games, you would think they should be fulltime employees making 6 figures. But they arent, and it's been a detriment to the game, imo.

plus per diem , traveling expenses times another 16 weeks. 70,000 becomes 90,000-100,000

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i just hope they figure something out. Getting small college refs might have its issues. I am just curious if the players care or not.

shawn merrieman

That would really suck if the Ref thing didn't work out I hope they get that done #NFL

i wonder if any other player cares lol

There is a lot of training that goes into becoming an official. To get to the NFL, you've typically been a Division IA NCAA official for a minimum of 5 years, officiated several seasons at multiple lower NCAA levels, and done a significant amount of work at the high school level to start. You're typically looking at 15 years of officiating at lower levels before the NFL even becomes slighly interested in you.

They have to study film of their work on a weekly basis (just like the players do), study for and take arcane rules tests every week, and train for annual fitness tests. You get graded every week by the office in NY, and if you aren't cutting it, you're fired. You might not think that officials get fired, but honestly, how many of you know whether or not Hochuli's side judge from last year is still with the league? Steve Wilson (U29) was one of the more notable firings recently.

Pay 'em. They deserve the cash for the amount of crap they have to take.

I hear exactly what you are saying, and it makes a lot of sense. However, if there are current NFL refs that would rather keep their current fulltime jobs than become fulltime Refs, I'd argue that the league would be better without those kinds of employees.

Why keep someone who doesnt want to be there, and is only half into it? If someone would rather be a lawyer, great, stay a lawyer. The NFL should be trying to hire refs that eat/breathe/live to be an NFL Official.

EXACTLY!! :thumbsup:

I hear exactly what you are saying, and it makes a lot of sense. However, if there are current NFL refs that would rather keep their current fulltime jobs than become fulltime Refs, I'd argue that the league would be better without those kinds of employees.

Why keep someone who doesnt want to be there, and is only half into it? If someone would rather be a lawyer, great, stay a lawyer. The NFL should be trying to hire refs that eat/breathe/live to be an NFL Official.

And you think qualified people with deep passion exist en mass for such a thankless job?

And you think qualified people with deep passion exist en mass for such a thankless job?

Yes. Not saying there is a stable of perfectly experienced and qualified refs waiting for an opening. But I do believe there are a number of people that would love to be full-time refs if that option were available, and the pay allowed them to do so. We're talking about the most popular sport in the country.

NFL refs should be paid 200k a year or better. You need to make it so that the refs are full time employees (And so that in the off-season they can officiate minor league games as practice) and so that they make enough money to not ever be influenced by gamblers or any outside force.

NFL refs should be paid 200k a year or better. You need to make it so that the refs are full time employees (And so that in the off-season they can officiate minor league games as practice) and so that they make enough money to not ever be influenced by gamblers or any outside force.

For a part time job? Where they often make bad calls?

You are either a Ref or related to one.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

For a part time job? Where they often make bad calls?

You are either a Ref or related to one.

No, for a full-time job, as he says in the next sentence. :thumbsup:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making the refs full-time employees, and raising the average salary from $50,000 to $100,000, obviously doubles the NFL's cost. But what do those numbers actually look like.

I'm just estimating here, but there are 16 games each week, and each crew has 7 officals + 1 backup (maybe 2 backups, I dont know). 16*8=128. So let's say the NFL employs 130 refs.

130*$50,000= a current spend of $6,500,000

Bringing the officials on full-time doubles that spend to $13,000,000/year. I don't know how much benefits the NFL currently provides when it comes to medical insurance and the like, but I'll assume there will be some increase if they were to go full-time. So let's say the total cost comes to $14,000,000 by the time we are done.

Do you guys think it is worth it for the NFL, which is already spending about $7,000,000/year on refs, to bump that cost up to $14,000,000/year? Is that too much for the NFL, with it's Billions, to spend?

Edited by DrDareustein

Is it a strike, or a lock out?

Good it will be great to see Ed Hochuli not referee this year. They are the worst in all sports and shouldn't be paid all that well. Ed hochuli couldn't see a play right in front of him.

I think the Hoch is a good ref, and one of the few who can own up to his mistakes on the spot...

Are you a secret chargers fan?

Could not get any worse than the refs have been over the last couple of years.

The NFL needs to make these guys full-time employees, and have them working year round, and even in training camps with teams.

So having "practice time" with a bunch of weekend warriors is supposed to hone the referees' craft?

Having NFL refs being full time employees is the crappiest argument that keeps popping up. Yet it wouldn't do anything to improve the quality, since the refs would be idle for some 340 days of the year.

So having "practice time" with a bunch of weekend warriors is supposed to hone the referees' craft?

Having NFL refs being full time employees is the crappiest argument that keeps popping up. Yet it wouldn't do anything to improve the quality, since the refs would be idle for some 340 days of the year.

So how do you propose the NFL improves the refs?

So how do you propose the NFL improves the refs?

Implement a scoring system and then review each play to see the calls that were made and then rate the crews based on that criteria. You can't have 100% perfect officiating because human error is part of the equation. But you also don't want to have guys who consistently screw up. If you develop a valid scoring system, you can get the best guys on the field. As with any union fight, this shouldn't be about salary, but about improving the quality & productivity of the work.

Implement a scoring system and then review each play to see the calls that were made and then rate the crews based on that criteria. You can't have 100% perfect officiating because human error is part of the equation. But you also don't want to have guys who consistently screw up. If you develop a valid scoring system, you can get the best guys on the field. As with any union fight, this shouldn't be about salary, but about improving the quality & productivity of the work.

id imagine that pretty much already exists behind closed doors.

This has already been going on for years...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-09-15-hochuli_N.htm

"Officials are held accountable for their calls. They are graded on every play of every game," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retained."

Next suggestion please.

No, for a full-time job, as he says in the next sentence. :thumbsup:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making the refs full-time employees, and raising the average salary from $50,000 to $100,000, obviously doubles the NFL's cost. But what do those numbers actually look like.

I'm just estimating here, but there are 16 games each week, and each crew has 7 officals + 1 backup (maybe 2 backups, I dont know). 16*8=128. So let's say the NFL employs 130 refs.

130*$50,000= a current spend of $6,500,000

Bringing the officials on full-time doubles that spend to $13,000,000/year. I don't know how much benefits the NFL currently provides when it comes to medical insurance and the like, but I'll assume there will be some increase if they were to go full-time. So let's say the total cost comes to $14,000,000 by the time we are done.

Do you guys think it is worth it for the NFL, which is already spending about $7,000,000/year on refs, to bump that cost up to $14,000,000/year? Is that too much for the NFL, with it's Billions, to spend?

Cost Benefit Analysis