Who stands to contribute more to the team should they fully re

boyst

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who stands to contribute more to the team should they fully recover?

• Merriman
    • Easley

A brief reminder:

We know what we have seen from Merriman and what he has been. That also means we may have higher expectations for him. On the other hand, Easley hasn't been on the field and we don't know what he is capable of contributing. Does that mean that simply playing 19 games and catching 45 balls is enough?

You decide.

A brief reminder:

We know what we have seen from Merriman and what he has been. That also means we may have higher expectations for him. On the other hand, Easley hasn't been on the field and we don't know what he is capable of contributing. Does that mean that simply playing 19 games and catching 45 balls is enough?

You decide.

"Contribute more to the team should they fully recover"

My thinking:

A fully recovered Merriman is a baller, straight up. He can just flat out play football. He's a seasoned vet, he knows the game, he knows the book, if he's healthy, he's got it goin' on.

A fully recovered Easley is, at best, a raw rookie with potential. He did not see a lot of playing time in college. He has not played a down in the NFL regular season, and he was not a "pro-ready" player like an AJ Green or a Blackmon when he was drafted. Even if Easley has the long-term potential to be a star, this will in effect be his rookie year and he will need to adjust to the pace and strength of the pro game, and he will make mistakes.

A healthy Merriman stands to contribute more for these reasons.

Hopeful's logic is irrefutable. A 'fully recovered' Merriman is a Pro Bowler. He's already proven in the NFL what he can do when he's 100%.

The question is whether or not Merriman will ever fully recover what's he's lost.

A fully-recovered Easley may be more productive than a mostly-recovered Merriman.

My guess is that both Easley and Merriman are more productive this year than last (yeah, I know, ain't that a bold prediction!) but neither becomes a full time starter unless the starter gets injured.

As Hopeful observes, Easley is still kind of a rookie.

And Merriman has been on the sidelines for soooo long that it's hard to imagine him regaining his Pro Bowl form, at least not this year if ever.

A fully recovered Merriman is one of the best in the buisness....

Kind of a weak question as we know nothing beyond physical measurements on Easley.

If what your asking is.....Who could the Bills benefit more with.......A fully recovered Merriman or an Impact receiver? This is more of a question that their is more of an opinion to

If Stevie goes down we could very well be in some serious trouble and we need someone to take attention off him and validate our receiving corps is we have to go on without Stevie.

If Merriman remains a shadow of his former self we still have some quality players at defensive end and should still be very good without him.

A fully recovered Merriman is one of the best in the buisness....

Kind of a weak question as we know nothing beyond physical measurements on Easley.

If what your asking is.....Who could the Bills benefit more with.......A fully recovered Merriman or an Impact receiver? This is more of a question that their is more of an opinion to

If Stevie goes down we could very well be in some serious trouble and we need someone to take attention off him and validate our receiving corps is we have to go on without Stevie.

If Merriman remains a shadow of his former self we still have some quality players at defensive end and should still be very good without him.

I wanted to see how this went first. Surprisingly, it is closer then I thought. I would like to hear what an Easley voter believes.

"Contribute more to the team should they fully recover"

My thinking:

A fully recovered Merriman is a baller, straight up. He can just flat out play football. He's a seasoned vet, he knows the game, he knows the book, if he's healthy, he's got it goin' on.

A fully recovered Easley is, at best, a raw rookie with potential. He did not see a lot of playing time in college. He has not played a down in the NFL regular season, and he was not a "pro-ready" player like an AJ Green or a Blackmon when he was drafted. Even if Easley has the long-term potential to be a star, this will in effect be his rookie year and he will need to adjust to the pace and strength of the pro game, and he will make mistakes.

A healthy Merriman stands to contribute more for these reasons.

This

I wanted to see how this went first. Surprisingly, it is closer then I thought. I would like to hear what an Easley voter believes.

I'll give it a try...

I would think Easley stands to gain more playing time as a #2 WR if he's to truly be a contributer in 2012, as Merriman will still be rotating in. Therefore, I would assume he'd have a bigger impact on our team's success.

To be clear though, there are a ton of factors that come in to play here even if both are 100%. Playcalling, offensive/defensive schemes changing as opposing teams gameplan against us, etc.

Both guys have pretty talented teammates to line up with (Johnson/M.Williams) so both should be able to capitalize on that, but to me there is more of an opportunity for Easley to contribute to the team for playing time reasons alone.

* This IS swayed by the fact I believe our #2 WR position is the most key position going into 2012 in terms of team success. That spot has to be filled with someone capable of producing in order for our team to succeed, IMHO.

Not sure I even believe what I just typed, but there's an Easley side of it nonetheless...

I'll give it a try...

I would think Easley stands to gain more playing time as a #2 WR if he's to truly be a contributer in 2012, as Merriman will still be rotating in. Therefore, I would assume he'd have a bigger impact on our team's success.

To be clear though, there are a ton of factors that come in to play here even if both are 100%. Playcalling, offensive/defensive schemes changing as opposing teams gameplan against us, etc.

Both guys have pretty talented teammates to line up with (Johnson/M.Williams) so both should be able to capitalize on that, but to me there is more of an opportunity for Easley to contribute to the team for playing time reasons alone.

* This IS swayed by the fact I believe our #2 WR position is the most key position going into 2012 in terms of team success. That spot has to be filled with someone capable of producing in order for our team to succeed, IMHO.

Not sure I even believe what I just typed, but there's an Easley side of it nonetheless...

I fully agree and cannot understand it. I've toyed with this thought a while; generally I wait a week before posting a thread on my thoughts to see if it is worth it - how much thought I give it.

With this subject it is like Lights Out. Man! Heck yeah! Him getting this team pumped up with the dance, the sacks...but wait, we got 2 big time guys for that and a healthy KW so do we really need him? We do...but we really need a #2 WR. So, let's say we Easley becomes the #2, which may be a stretch but that is not a factor...then you have to say its more important then all the sacks. We have a #1 WR. Then a dozen #3's on the verge.

I voted Easley and heres why. Evans was traded so Easley could start I firmly believe that. Jones is a better slot guy and an underrated blocker. Easley is a big fast target with good hands. Guys like that don't come around everyday. Every report of this guy when healthy has been positive and lots of "wow" moments. Basically having Easley on the field can make Nelson and Jones more effective and open things up for Chandler inside. A big fast reliable target makes this offense better.

Merriman coming back fully strong would be awesome. I think he will be used as a situational pass rusher more than anything. His impact could be great but I voted Easley assuming he will be on the field the majority of the snaps

Voted Easley cause Merriman is a 3-4 olb playing out of position as a de. While he could give us a spark and a few good plays, only see him getting around 15 snaps a game, while Easley has chance to see allot more.

No guarantee that he is going to do well if he does stay healthy, but believe he is good at getting open, and other than Stevie we really don't have anyone that can get open on their own consistently on roster I don't believe.

Like billsrcursed said earlier, its more about need than past performances that makes me pick Easley. Personally think Easley is more likely to stay healthy and contribute as well. Everything I've seen says takes 2 years for players that rely on speed to recover back to form from the Achilles surgery he just had this offseason, so think looking more to next season for him to be himself again if was successful this time. If Merriman being healthy would be in his prime, not what think is going to be somewhat limited version of what he can be, then may have voted differently.

Edited by rstencel

I think Easley. Merriman would be a nice luxury on Defense, but I think the team can get along just fine without him. But, a true number 2 receiver is needed, and it seems Easley is the potential one there.

I fully agree and cannot understand it. I've toyed with this thought a while; generally I wait a week before posting a thread on my thoughts to see if it is worth it - how much thought I give it.

With this subject it is like Lights Out. Man! Heck yeah! Him getting this team pumped up with the dance, the sacks...but wait, we got 2 big time guys for that and a healthy KW so do we really need him? We do...but we really need a #2 WR. So, let's say we Easley becomes the #2, which may be a stretch but that is not a factor...then you have to say its more important then all the sacks. We have a #1 WR. Then a dozen #3's on the verge.

Both important, but I'd much rather have the giants ends than receivers, if I had to choose.

Voted Easley cause Merriman is a 3-4 olb playing out of position as a de. While he could give us a spark and a few good plays, only see him getting around 15 snaps a game, while Easley has chance to see allot more.

No guarantee that he is going to do well if he does stay healthy, but believe he is good at getting open, and other than Stevie we really don't have anyone that can get open on their own consistently on roster I don't believe.

Like billsrcursed said earlier, its more about need than past performances that makes me pick Easley. Personally think Easley is more likely to stay healthy and contribute as well. Everything I've seen says takes 2 years for players that rely on speed to recover back to form from the Achilles surgery he just had this offseason, so think looking more to next season for him to be himself again if was successful this time. If Merriman being healthy would be in his prime, not what think is going to be somewhat limited version of what he can be, then may have voted differently.

So by fully recover we're talking only one of them fully recovered? Genuine question, my impression was 17 sacks in 12 games version of merriman.

Isn't there another thread like this posted? Is this just narrowed down to Merriman and Easley? Ok I guess to keep it simple the answer is Merriman. If Merriman plays like how he said he feels (he said he's like Benjamin Button, he gets younger as he gets older), then the defense should shatter NFL records. I doubt he'll be "lights out" again but I'm still hoping. Let's not forget how this new regime of the Bills all started because of signing him and having him help recruit other players...

Isn't there another thread like this posted? Is this just narrowed down to Merriman and Easley?

I was gonna start a poll regarding which one of these polls is better… this one of the other one.

But maybe we should take a poll on that before I start a new poll.

I was gonna start a poll regarding which one of these polls is better… this one of the other one.

But maybe we should take a poll on that before I start a new poll.

For you and Defenze...I asked this question in an open way trying to avoid a similarity with the other thread. What I think is more interesting is the weight people are giving to having a better WR group with Easley developing to #2 or having a top of the line defensive line unit that will add one more player to what may already be the best defensive front in the NFL. Basically, if looked at one way...

Do we want to have an already top of the line NFL DL get even better with a recovered Meriman or are we valuing that a recovered Easley (think Peerless Price, maybe?) would be more important when we do not have a #2 WR yet. I do not think anyone can argue that Easley cannot be a #2 - and for that I am guessing.

I'll give it a try...

Merriman, without question.

We know what a fully recovered SM means to an NFL team.

We have absolutely no idea what a fully recovered ME means to an NFL team.

This is a no brainer. (which is my kind of question)

Merriman, without question.

We know what a fully recovered SM means to an NFL team.

We have absolutely no idea what a fully recovered ME means to an NFL team.

This is a no brainer. (which is my kind of question)

Marcus Easley could not be a Peerless Price player next year? Or even a Don Beebe? I am not speaking in the style of play I am speaking of the role they fill in contributing.