Why are Pats the measuring stick for ALL teams?

The last time Brady was taken away the Pats won 11 games against just 5 losses.

To put that into perspective, the last time the Bills won 11 games was 13 years ago. To put that into further perspective, since the Jim Kelly era, the Bills have only won 11 or more games twice ..... that dates back 18 years!

The last time Brady got hurt, the team went 16 and 0. The team was already pretty good wouldn't ya say?

Cassel did what Brady did in 03, take care of the ball and don't !@#$ up

I hate reading posts like this although I understand his point on the unconventional manner in which the Pats have won over the years. It was defense, and a deep threat, and so on so on.

The bottom line as much as we all hate losing to them is they are a well coached, and managed team with fantastic QB play, and Coaching. We should strive for the same.

I am hopeful that the tides can change and this management and coaching staff can provide the talent and product on the field that we are not an automatic W on their schedule.

As many of have, I've coached for years with younger guys, and you have to put the product on the field. Then you have to prove at some point in a year where you have less talent than your opponent you can win. Then you are truly a formiddable team. I billieve in Chixley. Give them time. They should make an impact this year. Also, should make even more progress next year.

This won't get fixed soon where we go to the SB this year. That's a fantasy. But now that we are starting to get out of the 20 foot hole we were put in with the previous FO, and coaching, we can now build. I guarantee you if we blow up again, we will never get out of this hole.

Stop hating the Patriots for being GOOD. BTW- I hate them as much as all of you, just like I did of the Dolphins in the 70's.

Do you mean like when Brady was out for the season a few years back :rolleyes:

And they didn't make the playoffs, right? Since that team went 18-1 the year prior, an argument can be made that Brady alone is worth 5-7 wins a year. Guess we'll find out in 2-3 years won't we? Maybe sooner if Mario gets to him this year. Bet you can't wait....

Edited by MattM

IMHO, the Cheatriettes* are not a measuring stick for anything at all, simply because they* are recidivist cheaters and any success* they* ever attained* was achieved* by cheating.

GO BILLSSS!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by The Senator

I know they been succesful for the last 11 years, but they are hardly perfect.

1. The D has not been dominant since 2004, and was downright awful last year.

2. their drafts have either been a huge hit or huge miss. (we have 1 draft where we dont even have 1 player left from the draft.)

I mean FEW if ANY teams have what has made the patriots long term successful, and that is a HOF Coach (BB) who is able to take the garbage that BB the GM gives him and make it work amazingly well and a HOF QB in Tom Brady.

So instead of measuring yourself against the Pats (only 1 team) see how you measyure against the other 12 teams you play because even if you beat the Pats twice if you match up POORLY with 8 of the other teams you are guaranteed only a .500 season.

Do you honestly think you have to be perfect to be successful. Nobody's perfect but the Pats are always able to procure the players they need, have tremendous coaching, and function as a top notch organization. No they're not perfect, but their recipe and ingredients generally make them a consistently successful, first class operation.

Ummm, wasn't that the Patriots representing the AFC in the last super bowl? That's pretty relevant, no?

The Pats running game includes their short passing game so they don't need a running attack in the traditional sense.

Well, since 2007 no receiver has more catches than Wes Welker does.

The last time Brady was taken away the Pats won 11 games against just 5 losses.

To put that into perspective, the last time the Bills won 11 games was 13 years ago. To put that into further perspective, since the Jim Kelly era, the Bills have only won 11 or more games twice ..... that dates back 18 years!

My point is that the Pats are not the same team that they were when they were winning it all on a regular basis, had a machine of a team (along with video cameras), and talent at every position. They also had depth on the field AND in the coaching ranks.

The Pats that we see today are not the same. True, they are still successful, but their era of dominance is over. Patriot teams always had solid RB's. Woodhead would not be on the field for alot of NFL teams; but he fits his role in New England and they have a bit of a history of not putting much into the RB position as of late. You can say that the pass attack is the main focus of the Pats- which I agree with, and the rest of the NFL seems to unfortunately be moving towards- but you still need a solid RB. As we see in Buffalo, or Green Bay, or New England for that matter...the elements don't always allow for passing. You can't be 1 dimensional in the NFL and still expect to win on a consistent basis. It will catch up to them.

When you look at Welker, sure...he is getting tons of catches. But is he a true, #1 receiver? Not talking stats. Welker works for Brady, in a dump off role. If he wasn't a TE, Gronkowski seems to be the more designed receiver on most plays, the one where they are wanting to go to alot of the time. That's not to diminish Welker- the guy has the stats because he does keep the Patriots drives alive. He is a really good, clutch player. But he's not a true #1 receiver along the lines of Calvin Johnson, Eric Moulds, Andre Reed, Jerry Rice, Anquan Boldin, etc.

When Scott Pioli, Charlie Weis, and Romeo Crennel left, so did alot of their organizational talent and depth. You can see that they are not making the same shrewd choices on talent that they were when Pioli was at the GM helm. They are missing way more often than they had been when the franchise was at its zenith. Banta-Cain, anyone?

When the Pats were rolling through everyone and everything, they had such organizational depth it was hard to ever see an end to their dominance. Not so anymore. When a star went down, there was a new stud to replace said player. They've never replaced Seymour. Bruschi. Moss. LT Light is retired. That could be the final straw in their success right there. Brady's blind side is critical to their pass-happy approach. We now have majorly upgraded our pass rush, and overall defensive philosophy with a D-Line friendly attack. Kyle Williams and Dareus pushing the pocket. Mario Williams and Mark Anderson on the outside against a new LT. A hopefully healed and renewed Merriman? If things work like I hope that they will, the Bills will expose the Pats this year as fatally flawed former shells of themselves.

If Brady can't sit and set, not even Giselle will be able to console Tommy Boy and his crying.

There is absolutely no way that the Pats of the past 2-3 seasons are anything like the Pats of the 2001-2008 seasons.

It's simple. The Pats are the measuring stick for all teams because they have played in 5 of the last 11 super bowls.

Thank you. :worthy:

Why the heck are some (including the OP) looking for an answer any more complicated than this???

Maybe it depends what we mean by "measuring stick".

The OP is correct - they have many flaws - their HOF-bound coach and QB have covered up a lot of weaknesses - particularly in the defense which is a shadow of what it was when they were winning the forst three Super Bowls instead of losing the last two.

In that sense, in a detailed, position by position, "blueprint for success" way, they are not that sort of measuring stick.

As another posted - the Giants have a nice formula that is a much better model for other teams (not to mention has won two Super Bowls in the last few years), and I think it's fair to say with the Bills' offseason moves this year, they've been doing what they can to match the NYG blueprint.

Edited by BobChalmers

It's simple. The Pats are the measuring stick for all teams because they have played in 5 of the last 11 super bowls.

+1

Plus they won three of them. How many SB wins are we up to...? Oh yeah, still zero. That's ok, when we do conquer them (hopefully) it'll look that much more impressive.

Cheatriots* record in Super Bowls where there was no question as to whether or not they gained an unfair advantage over their opponent by cheating, 0-4.

The record for most Superbowl's lost is shared by three teams, the Cheatriots* are one of the three.

What were you Cheatriots* fans measuring with that stick anyway?