Big Problems With Bills Offense ....

Owen

The justifications from your perspective for disqualifying them was because of where they were drafted?

:rolleyes:

Technically, according to the OP, this is why the "media" is disqualifying them or so he thinks thats why. No one has posted any links to back what the OP wrote, what the media thinks of the Bills offensive players.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here. And here for starters. I'll let you Google Vegas odds.

What part of "Vegas, I grant" wasnt clear? Alternatively, why would I want to Google something I already acknowledge?

Not meaning to offend, but both those links are to one source, ESPN. Now they do have "Sports Network" in the name, but the original contention was "Sports Punditry Elite".

Is ESPN the extent of "Sports Punditry Elite"? Truly curious here.

Edit: It's been observed in the past that the major sports media outlets tend to forecast (wait for it...) teams finishing pretty much in the exact order they finished prev. season.

Which is why I'm interested in the broader views of "Elite Sports Punditry".

Edited by Hopeful

So the Bills didn't play hard last season?

Just think. If they played hard we would easily won 15 more games.

Just as a matter of clarification, the Pats* traded 2nd and 7th round picks to Miami for Welker.

But your larger point is a good one.

GO BILLS!!!

oops!!!

Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't want to be as missinformed as the media is all the time.

Look, Rock, I didn't, myself, refer to this guy as a "troll", and responded with the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, you, John from Hemet, and others who take this guy seriously and rebuke others for calling him a "troll", might consider a few observations.

1. the title of the post says nothing about "media" or the media's opinion. It is the attention-grabbing "Big Problems with Bills Offense". Why is that, if the sincere intent is to put oneself in the shoes of a media pundit and express one's perception of the media viewpoint rather than one's own opinion? However, it is classic "Troll Tactics"

2. There is no reference or links to any media opinions of Chan and the Bills Offense. If you're serious about assessing media opinion, wouldn't you start there? I thought so....but a Troll, of course, wouldn't.

3. The media opinion presented is entirely focused on draft round and how a player was acquired. I have never seen media focus on a guy's draft position to the exclusion of on-field performance. Usually the media comments on a guy's on-field performance and tags on something about above or below expectations for his draft position. This is either ignorant or credulous - or again, a classic Trolling tactic.

4. The post contains provocative, over-the top negative comments about Bills personnel that contravene actual comments found in the media. For a guy who claims interest in the media, the post is either woefully ignorant of what the media actually says - or employing the bait-n-switch, provacateur tactics of the troll.

5. The post omits key starters Levitre and Wood...who happen to score highly in the "Draft Round" category that is being used to rate players. Omitting anything that contradicts the theme - classic Troll Tactics.

6. The claim is impression of the media but alleged fan opinion (opinions known on the board to be polarizing and elicit response) is referenced twice. If you're seriously trying to represent your ideas of media opinion, why mix in your impression of fan opinion?. But if you're trying to elicit a response, it's that added little fillip - should I say it - classic Troll.

So yeah, I'll say it. I appreciate a viewpoint that tries to be positive and give people the benefit of the doubt, and you and John from Hemet do appear a little naive or credulous in your assessment of this post. One or two of these things might indicate that someone is serious but misguided. All 6 - TROLL.

When it comes down to it all he did was write the post he wanted to write and put "the media thinks...." in front of it to absolve any responsibility for the nonsense to follow.

The media thinks it was a stupid post and he's a troll.

Edited by NoSaint

When it comes down to it all he did was write the post he wanted to write and put "the media thinks...." in front of it to absolve any responsibility for the nonsense to follow.

*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* and we have a winner! Pass one brew to the Saint.:beer:

(Technically it was "I think the media thinks", to further dilute any accountability)

I doubt anyone would criticize a post without reading it first.

The poster tries to project what he/she believes the "national media" sees in the Bills offense.

The picture the OP paints is ridiculously negative. There's no way the "national media" sees the Bills this way.

Here's what James Walker sees in the Bills offense (published yesterday on ESPN). He has the Bills offense ranked 2nd in the AFC East, ahead of the Jets and Dolphins:

No. 2: Buffalo Bills

Analysis: The Bills have the potential to be solid on offense. The big question is, can quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick prove he is the long-term solution? Fitzpatrick looked fine early in 2011 and fell off in the second half of last season. Injured ribs were mentioned as one of the reasons. Running backs Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller should be one of the best one-two punches in the NFL this year. Steve Johnson is a solid receiver coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. The Bills also have a versatile offensive line that fits their wide open style. The Bills still need to find their No. 2 receiver. David Nelson filled the void at the end of last year, but he's better in the slot. Donald Jones is coming back from injury and rookie T.J. Graham will get a hard look. If the Bills figure that out, their offense can be dangerous.

Again, this offense was 14th in points and yards gained in spite of a huge onslaught of injuries.

Chan Gailey is typically characterized (again, justified or not) by the national media as an offensive mastermind.

The OPs post is ridiculously inaccurate and I'm amazed at how many of you really want to hold his post to your bosoms.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/42620/ranking-afc-east-offenses

Quoting James Walkers opinion is just plain wrong! First if you read his blogs you would know his opinions are the status quo. If anyone is impressed with Gailey's late season game calling, and still call him an offensive mastermind (really?). That said the original poster has not made an argument at all. Why people are getting quotes on bronze for a bust of Gailey on OBD is beyond me. 10-22 says it all baby.That's still using the nucleus of the famous 7-9 DJ teams. Show me a winning season Chan! One where the fans during a offseason don't have excuses to lean on (right or wrong) why we fell apart yet again during a season of football.

Quoting James Walkers opinion is just plain wrong! First if you read his blogs you would know his opinions are the status quo. If anyone is impressed with Gailey's late season game calling, and still call him an offensive mastermind (really?).

Thank you for strengthening my points which were (in order):

1) James Walker's opinion is a status quo media opinion… in other words, the OP is way off in his thesis that the "national media" views the Bills offense as a train wreck.

2) Gailey's reputation (for the third time I parenthetically state "deserved or not") among the media is of a accomplished offensive strategist.

I'm still waiting for the OP to return to this mess that he started and simply post one single story which would back up his point.

I originally naively thought the OP was being excited about the team that has been assembled for the coming season and was somehow trying to say that there are still doubters since there are few "big names" on the Bills Offense. One thing that is making me think differently is the fact that the debate has gone on for five pages, and the OP has not gotten back on to clarify his position. Sounds like he just wanted to throw a bomb out there and see what happened. Not cool.

Thank you for strengthening my points which were (in order):

1) James Walker's opinion is a status quo media opinion… in other words, the OP is way off in his thesis that the "national media" views the Bills offense as a train wreck.

2) Gailey's reputation (for the third time I parenthetically state "deserved or not") among the media is of a accomplished offensive strategist.

I'm still waiting for the OP to return to this mess that he started and simply post one single story which would back up his point.

Well, I could have certainly used a better choice of words regards Walker. he far worse than the credit I gave him. However, I do agree with your post.

With the exception of point 2) Historically yes Gailey is recognized as a good strategist. What have you done lately Chan? So far with the Bills? I disagree. Yes the start of the 2011 season was exciting and high powered. Injuries or not Chan failed to adjust when opposing D's figured it out. Which is a worry of mine if I see see us line up 4 wide on our first offensive series in 2012 (using the leftovers from last year too boot). Or worse yet the toy known as Brad Smith is even on the roster taking up space and $$$$. Chan failed in finding anything Smith could contribute last year.

This is where Gaily is extremely suspect IMO. His ability to adjust and play to his strengths which last year was a running game. His starting quarterback simply cannot win consistently throwing 40 times a game with short slants. He has no long ball. I stand by that one. Yes he does complete a couple but he is limited.

The National Media says next to Nothing about the Buffalo Bills Offense... have you noticed?

Here is what I believe they see when they look at the leadership and roster....

The head coach and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey... A big time loser with the Bills... His won lost record proves it... He has bounced around from team to team... Even when Ralph Wilson chose him as head coach the Bills fans were not in favor of his hiring... Many wanted Shanahan now with Washington... Gailey has a lot to prove.

QB... Ryan Fitzpatrick ... Picked up as a free agent... Bills fans believe he is better as a backup than as a starter... He was a 7th round pick... Bills management is putting to much faith in a losing QB...

QB ... Vince Young.. Backup QB...Picked up by the Bills because no one else wanted him... Most likely washed up

QB ... Tyler Thigper... OMG are you kidding

RB ... Freddy Jackson... Another free agent pickup who starts..

RB ... C.J. Spiller ... A first round pick who has done litte and could be a bust

FB.... Corey McIntrey .. Only touched the ball 4 times last year...

TE ... Scott Chandler... Another free agent pick up no other team wanted... slow

WR ... Stevie Johnson ... A 7th round pick considered their #1 receiver

WR ... Marcus Easley .... a 4th round pick going into his 3rd year and never seen the field, maybe the #2 receiver

WR ... David Nelson .... Another free agent

WR ... Donald Jones ... Another free agent

WR ... T.J. Graham .... Picked in the 3rd round but could have been a 7th round pick

OL ... Corey Glenn .... A rookie LT

OL ... Chris Hairston .. A 4th round pick

OL ... Kraig Urbik...... Another free agent

OL ... Chad Reinhart ... Another free agent

OL ... Eric Pears ...... Another free agent

Then we have Brad Smith... What is he a WR, RB, QB, Special teamer? Bills are even not sure...

Where is the Talent to get this squad to the playoffs?

And we the media are to believe with this motley crew they will make the playoffs ? are you kidding ?

But when you ask Bills fans, many believe they are on the right track, as do I and this so called motley crew will preform to playoff standards... Do you? and why do you Believe.......???

It is beyond obvious you have no clue about football and are just trolling. Stop stealing everyone's oxygen and go back to your basement. I suppose that Tom Brady has no right being a future hall of famer due to his 7th round draft status. Sheesh.

What part of "Vegas, I grant" wasnt clear? Alternatively, why would I want to Google something I already acknowledge?

Not meaning to offend, but both those links are to one source, ESPN. Now they do have "Sports Network" in the name, but the original contention was "Sports Punditry Elite".

Is ESPN the extent of "Sports Punditry Elite"? Truly curious here.

Edit: It's been observed in the past that the major sports media outlets tend to forecast (wait for it...) teams finishing pretty much in the exact order they finished prev. season.

Which is why I'm interested in the broader views of "Elite Sports Punditry".

Hopeful,

This board is supposed to be fun.

But I'll bite.

The media, by and large, are not saying the Bills are an elite squad, let alone good enough to be No. 2 in the AFC East.

I have no links to prove that, only memory from what I read. I gave you two from ESPN links that had us ranked in the 20s, behind the Jets. I'm not going spend my Memorial Day weekend searching for more articles.

I think this post gave almost every poster here menstrual cramps. :pirate:

Lighten up, everyone. I think for the first time in a long time it's going to be a good thing to be a Bills fan.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

The OP may be a troll, or perhaps he has some legit thoughts about the lack of talent on the offense....for good reason. This franchise hasn't seem a winning season since 2002, and that was 8-8

Let's face facts, quite a few of the players on this team are waiver wire cast offs and late rounders who finally came into their own. How many pro bowlers on this offense....NONE?

In my view there is a lot of talent on this team and has been for awhile. Bad teams rarely have pro bowlers on them unless a particular player is a having a standout season, even then most players do not usually get recognized for their play on bad teams. ie, London Flectcher, Takeo Spikes both tackling machines lost in obscurity many many years. It just takes a good coach to utilize the talent properly, motivate them, and give them great schemes to play in.

I look back to the late 70's and the Chuck Knox years and think about how a single man came into the org and was such a supreme motivator that he managed to get a bunch of nobody's into the playoffs in two years. This one man was able to overcome a bad GM, bad ownership, bad schemes, and players that were used to hanging their heads when things went wrong. Knox brought in a few older players who were past their prime, but were winners and were able to be very vocal in the locker room as leaders.

I now look at Chan Gailey and see a team that has changed from terribly bad schemes, and players getting stupid penlites on the worst occasions to a more disciplined team with a much better offensive scheme. While I'm not entirely convinced that Gailey will be able to get this team into the playoffs. However, I am convinced he can take this team to a winning season. He was on his way last season until devastating injuries to two players that were playing at pro bowl levels in Fred Jackson and Eric Wood.This team still is lacking top talent at a few positions and lack in good quality depth at many positions. Plus they still need to find a better option at TE and #2 WR. Perhaps the Bills will find that #2 WR this year in Easly or Graham.

One thing is for certain, the clusterfook on the defensive side is over. Trying to get 4-3 players to fit a 3-4 scheme experiment is gone along with its maker in George Edwards. Dave Wannastache is an experienced veteran NFL defensive coach who knows how to build a proper 4-3 defense.

Its now up to Chan Gailey to get the most out of his players no matter what their past history, 3 years should be enough to see if this man can field a winning team.

Hopeful, This board is supposed to be fun.

Well, if I didn't find it so, I wouldn't be here. Is it only fun when you get to make sweeping assertions and not be asked to back them up?

The media, by and large, are not saying the Bills are an elite squad, let alone good enough to be No. 2 in the AFC East.

So you say. Two links to what look like original and post-draft "power rankings" on ESPN back you up.

But the original claim was "elite sports punditry" and now we've switched to "media, by and large".

I wouldn't expect the media to say the Bills are an elite squad, but their offense was respectable last year - slightly above average, even with all the injuries.

I just don't see the general media predictions of "gloom and doom and last place in the AFC East" - unless all the off-season changes on D show no improvement there.

If you agree with the OP, your privledge - it's just nice when people who make sweeping assertions can back them up.

Edited by Hopeful

The National Media says next to Nothing about the Buffalo Bills Offense... have you noticed?

The head coach and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey... A big time loser with the Bills... His won lost record proves it... He has bounced around from team to team... Even when Ralph Wilson chose him as head coach the Bills fans were not in favor of his hiring... Many wanted Shanahan now with Washington... Gailey has a lot to prove.

QB... Ryan Fitzpatrick ... Picked up as a free agent... Bills fans believe he is better as a backup than as a starter... He was a 7th round pick... Bills management is putting to much faith in a losing QB...

QB ... Vince Young.. Backup QB...Picked up by the Bills because no one else wanted him... Most likely washed up

RB ... C.J. Spiller ... A first round pick who has done litte and could be a bust

TE ... Scott Chandler... Another free agent pick up no other team wanted... slow

WR ... Marcus Easley .... a 4th round pick going into his 3rd year and never seen the field, maybe the #2 receiver

WR ... T.J. Graham .... Picked in the 3rd round but could have been a 7th round pick

Then we have Brad Smith... What is he a WR, RB, QB, Special teamer? Bills are even not sure...

And we the media are to believe with this motley crew they will make the playoffs ? are you kidding ?

But when you ask Bills fans, many believe they are on the right track, as do I and this so called motley crew will preform to playoff standards... Do you? and why do you Believe.......???

OK, I 'll bite. The Bills offense finished fourteenth in the league with 23.3 Points per game. That means they were better than 18 other teams. No reason to believe that this offense won't get better this year with everyone healthy. The problem with this team last year was not the offense, it was the defense. That defense has been hugely upgraded through free agency and the draft. No reason to believe they won't be better as well. Finally, I see no relevance in how a player came to be on the roster. It is how they have performed since they got there that matters. All of the above lead me to believe this team is headed in the right direction. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

All I can say is we'll see. This is the make or break season. It'll be interesting...

and yet this band of misfits was a top 15 O last year despite th e depth issues and and the overall experience and age of the O.

who the hell cares what the media thinks..

What makes me the happiest is the fact the Bills FO is not panicking and bringing in old aging vets thinking they would be better then developing our own players

All I can say is we'll see. This is the make or break season. It'll be interesting...

no its not, but in 2 years the O has been gutted and rebuilt and improved last year compared to the year before

Edited by shibuya