Gailey and Jauron

Obviously Jauron was not strong with identifying talent, whether it was through the draft or FA. However, I find it ironic that even though our head coach is considered an offensive expert, our top five offensive players (fitzy, FJ, stevie, wood, levitre) were from the Jauron regime. Again, I'm not supporting Jauron here, I just found that interesting. Obviously, we've attempted to aggressively address our defense during the Gailey tenure, but interesting nevertheless...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Jauron was not strong with identifying talent, whether it was through the draft or FA. However, I find it ironic that even though our head coach is considered an offensive expert, our top five offensive players (fitzy, FJ, stevie, wood, levitre) were from the Jauron regime. Again, I'm not supporting Jauron here, I just found that interesting. Obviously, we've attempted to aggressively address our defense during the Gailey tenure, but interesting nevertheless...

Never thought about that, though interesting.

CJ should also emerge more this year.

I have nnot been impressed with Gailey play calling, others seem fine with the passing approach, I'm not.

If Gailey again struggles this year in the play calling/offense area after the last half of last season, there could be issues.

After the 4-12 season, and 6-10 season, I am not sold on Gailey as an OC or a head coach. This will be the third year, and if you

can't sustain some injuries on O and D, and keep the team rolling you have a problem.

I would imagine the team goes 8-8 and Gailey does JUST enough to keep his job for another year and the end of his contract.

Yeah, but Jauron had Fitz backing up TE

FJ backing up Lynch

And Stevie broke out under Chan

The Linemen are excellent, but would have preferred one of them to be a Left Tackle or a DT or a DE

he inherited a complete mess....His approach was to improve the defense and scheme the offense to play to its strengths. In order to play his own guys he would have to draft or sign some, he pretty much took Cj and and spent the rest on defense.

However, I find it ironic that even though our head coach is considered an offensive expert, our top five offensive players (fitzy, FJ, stevie, wood, levitre) were from the Jauron regime. Again, I'm not supporting Jauron here, I just found that interesting. Obviously, we've attempted to aggressively address our defense during the Gailey tenure, but interesting nevertheless...

Not really that interesting. Gailey is known for tailoring his scheme to the players he has..

I have the utmost confidence in Chan Gailey for the upcoming season.

However, if the Bills offense struggles at all with this o-line and current corps of extremely talented WRs, RBs, TEs, then serious thought must be given to bringing in an offensive genius and bona fide QB magician to help Chan on that side of the ball - maybe someone the caliber of...

Mike Leach

I find this both interesting and ironic considering that Gailey is known as an offensive coach while Jauron cemented his reputation (via the Schonert fiasco) as a defensive coach and a poor judge of talent… ironic indeed that our best offensive players are from the previous regime.

I think it points to two things:

1) Jauron and company did make some good decisions here and there but just not enough of them. The difference between success and failure in any endeavor is usually minute.

2) Chixley has had the wisdom to give players from the previous regime a fair and honest chance at continuing the mission. Unlike some regime changes witnessed in the Bills recent history, this administration wisely did not overdo the housecleaning. In fact they gave some of the former regime's players (ie- Trent Edwards, Marshawn Lynch) considerable benefit of the doubt. Chixley has been patient and wise in their approach to re-making the roster.

Careful here new guy, you just might catch the attention of Nero and his cohorts end thus up being nailed to something or other...

This is the year that all Bills fans will finally find out if this current GM / coaching regime is going to put a winning team on the field. Expectations have been sky high since Dick Jauron was fired, and rightly so. Jauron brought in two of the worst schemes ever in the history of the NFL. The Tampa Two defense which is historically bad at stopping the run, playing from behind or even being a top defense without supreme talent. Most teams have abandoned this scheme as even the team that it originated on played horribly without the actual architect calling plays.

Then there is the Mike Martz offense which looked brilliant with a great O line and Marshall Faulk running the ball to open up the passing game, very similar to what Thurman Thomas was able to do in Buffalo. But Jauron tried forcing very young players to win games for him by constantly throwing with sub par O lines, not a very bright move by such an experienced head coach.

So then, Is it any wonder why expectations have been so high on anyone besides Dick Jauron, who was head coach and de facto GM for a time

Chan Gailey has the career resume behind him to take this team to a winning season, or so everybody says... Buddy Nix has outstanding credentials in the scouting aspect of building a team. All Bills fans are looking forward to this season after the Bills signed a 100 million dollar defensive end. We Bills fans gotta hope that Nix / Gailey aren't just two old men past their prime trying desperately to hold on to something they both love doing.

Edited by Fear the Beard

I have the utmost confidence in Chan Gailey for the upcoming season.

However, if the Bills offense struggles at all with this o-line and current corps of extremely talented WRs, RBs, TEs, then serious thought must be given to bringing in an offensive genius and bona fide QB magician to help Chan on that side of the ball - maybe someone the caliber of...

Mike Leach

Bingo, we have a winner!!!

+ 1

Bingo, we have a winner!!!

+ 1

Again, I have every confidence in Coach Gailey to take the Bills all the way this season - but if we must bring in The Pirate, it would have to wait until next season anyway.

Rumor has it that Leach - after the successful completion of his first Spring football season at Wazoo - has just killed the Cal Bear and is now headed to Colorado for a Buffalo hunt as part an extended hunt to kill all the opposing PAC-12 mascots....

Link - Mike Leach Shoots the Cal Bear

(Beavers and Ducks are next!)

post-2970-035222600 1337538124_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Seems to me you've confused the Head Coach with the General Manager. Whatever input Jauron had or Gailey has is subordinated to the GM and...(ta da!) a fellow by the name of Ralph Wilson. You want to B word about the choices made while Jauron was head coach, okay, give him ten or twenty percent of the blame. The rest falls on Donohoe, Levy and Wilson.

I think one should also take into consideration what acquisitions have been made under Chixley, and thus far they've been PREDOMINATELY on the defensive side of the ball.

I believe this is where Chandler's offensive prowess plays in: on offense, scheme can overcome talent deficiencies much more so than when compared to defense. Right?

To add: since it's been basically a house-cleaning, it follows that the talent foundation has been lain on the defense, whereas the offense--with scheming--has proven effective enough to stay competitive.

You can also look at it the other way, that only 5 players from Jauron's teams were worth keeping. It's kind of the blind squirrel analogy. Even a total incompetent will find some good players by accident. Besides it's hard to know for certain what players were scouted by whom. Modrak? Levy? Guy? Jauron?

PTR

You can also look at it the other way, that only 5 players from Jauron's teams were worth keeping. It's kind of the blind squirrel analogy. Even a total incompetent will find some good players by accident. Besides it's hard to know for certain what players were scouted by whom. Modrak? Levy? Guy? Jauron?

PTR

Somebody using Mel Kiper's Draft Guide could have hit on more picks then those four. :doh:

Gailey stubbornly stuck with his 5 wide offense long past it being figured out by defensive coordinators around the league last season. Not at all what I would expect from an offensive "genius". But it is consistent with someone with his career resume.

To me this season is as much make or break for Gailey as it is for Fitz.

Easily balanced out by Whitner, McCargo, Maybin, Hardy, Captain Checkdown, etc.

Careful here new guy, you just might catch the attention of Nero and his cohorts end thus up being nailed to something or other...

This is the year that all Bills fans will finally find out if this current GM / coaching regime is going to put a winning team on the field. Expectations have been sky high since Dick Jauron was fired, and rightly so. Jauron brought in two of the worst schemes ever in the history of the NFL. The Tampa Two defense which is historically bad at stopping the run, playing from behind or even being a top defense without supreme talent. Most teams have abandoned this scheme as even the team that it originated on played horribly without the actual architect calling plays.

Then there is the Mike Martz offense which looked brilliant with a great O line and Marshall Faulk running the ball to open up the passing game, very similar to what Thurman Thomas was able to do in Buffalo. But Jauron tried forcing very young players to win games for him by constantly throwing with sub par O lines, not a very bright move by such an experienced head coach.

So then, Is it any wonder why expectations have been so high on anyone besides Dick Jauron, who was head coach and de facto GM for a time

Chan Gailey has the career resume behind him to take this team to a winning season, or so everybody says... Buddy Nix has outstanding credentials in the scouting aspect of building a team. All Bills fans are looking forward to this season after the Bills signed a 100 million dollar defensive end. We Bills fans gotta hope that Nix / Gailey aren't just two old men past their prime trying desperately to hold on to something they both love doing.

The offensive scheme under Jauron I would LEAST categorize as a Mike Martz style offense. Not accurate at all.

I don't think you can overstate how bad Jauron was with his no huddle offensive scheme being a perfect example of his incompetence. A no huddle offense without a decent O-line? If you look at teams with effective no-huddle offenses, they rely on fairly simple formations and a QB who can read defenses. The QB has to have time in the pocket. It's hard to run a no huddle offense and read defenses when the QB spends most of his time running for his life. I always felt bad for Trent Edwards. He never had a chance to develop. He was set up to fail. What last season's early success proved, if nothing else, was that Jauron had the talent to succeed. I'm not sure where that dope is right now- I know he spent some time with the Steelers after we canned him- but I wouldn't want to see him coaching Pop Warner.

After the 4-12 season, and 6-10 season, I am not sold on Gailey as an OC or a head coach. This will be the third year, and if you

can't sustain some injuries on O and D, and keep the team rolling you have a problem.

I would imagine the team goes 8-8 and Gailey does JUST enough to keep his job for another year and the end of his contract.

If the Bills don’t make the playoffs this year, or at least show emerge with a winning record, is Gailey and/or Nix going to be on the hot seat?

If I understand things correctly most coaching contracts are four years in length. Which means this is Chan’s third year. No coach wants to be a lame duck. At what point do you either extend Gailey or cut him loose?

In light of the Jauron debacle a few years ago. Where he was given an extension based on early season success, then saw the team collapse and him be fired midway through following season. Me doesn’t think RW wants to go through that again.

If the Bills don’t make the playoffs this year, or at least show emerge with a winning record, is Gailey and/or Nix going to be on the hot seat?

Absolutely, as any regime should be. Three years in a row below .500 is an epic FAIL. But with this team and their opponents this season, I think there would have to be some monumental screw ups by both coaches and key players not to make at least 8-8.