Tashard Choice v. Johnny White

I don't know who will stay, but with respect to White, he is extremely versatile. Played RB and WR at UNC, and also returned and covered kicks. Very solid player in college. I was largely unimpressed with Choice last year, and a bit surprised they brought him back.

I don't know who will stay, but with respect to White, he is extremely versatile. Played RB and WR at UNC, and also returned and covered kicks. Very solid player in college. I was largely unimpressed with Choice last year, and a bit surprised they brought him back.

I don't think White did a lot of kick returning at UNC did he? I thought that Rogers pretty much handled all the return duties. I could be mistaken though.

I'd rather stick with Choice because we know what he brings to the position... An average/slightly above average all around back who can run over and sideways and can block and catch... White on the other hand we don't know anything about. I'd like to have all four but if one has to be cut I'd rather it be White only because I liked what I saw in Choice...

If Gailey plans on having Fred and C.J. on the field at the same time like he said, then I believe the 3rd RB position will be an important part of the puzzle. So I'd like Choice in there...

As for if they can play special teams. I don't know if the rules say there HAS to be an HB in the 11 player ST unit and if so, McIntyre can fill that role. Plus didn't we supposedly get much better in ST according to analysts after all the players we drafted?...

I dont remember a single play where Choice impressed me last year. If i remember correctly his average per run was very low. I hope that the Bills find a better number 3. Maybe White or maybe one of the free agents.

He also joined mid season and was on a beat up offense. Just saying. He might be done but he has filled this role VERY effectively before, and recently.

I don't think that White should make the team over Choice. I mean Tashard is by far a better running back and has a lot more to offer than white, I never really understood the Johnny White pick from the start, he's nothing special at all IMO.

Yep

Who cares about special teams. We have so many special teams players and returners, I don't think that'll be the deciding factor. How many kick returners do you really need on a team?

Tashard Choice would be my choice between the 2. A seasoned veteran that knows Chan and he's probably a better pass blocker out of the backfield as well.

White or Choice? None of the above as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't get the White pick last year but among other things apparently he's a very versatile player (played wide receiver) AND he was one of the real good people in that community… a highly-respected person.

That said Johnny White was a 5th rounder… like Ed Wang.

I thought White looked both slow and small last year and Mario Haggan ragdolled him like a little kid in the Denver preseason game.

I really believe you're better off signing undrafted free agent running backs than actually drafting one in the 5th round… unless that guy really slid and was a higher round talent… which White was not.

Choice was a good player in Dallas and obviously took touches away from Spiller last year because Gailey felt strong enough about Choice to make him the 3rd down back in the second half of last season.

I think Choice is the choice but I'd actually like to see a very physical, pound it out running back/special teamer for our third running back. Both Freddy and CJ can run and catch the ball. I'd like to see a true battering ram… in fact I'd have loved for the Bills to sign Mike Tolbert.

White or Choice? None of the above as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't get the White pick last year but among other things apparently he's a very versatile player (played wide receiver) AND he was one of the real good people in that community… a highly-respected person.

That said Johnny White was a 5th rounder… like Ed Wang.

I thought White looked both slow and small last year and Mario Haggan ragdolled him like a little kid in the Denver preseason game.

I really believe you're better off signing undrafted free agent running backs than actually drafting one in the 5th round… unless that guy really slid and was a higher round talent… which White was not.

Choice was a good player in Dallas and obviously took touches away from Spiller last year because Gailey felt strong enough about Choice to make him the 3rd down back in the second half of last season.

I think Choice is the choice but I'd actually like to see a very physical, pound it out running back/special teamer for our third running back. Both Freddy and CJ can run and catch the ball. I'd like to see a true battering ram… in fact I'd have loved for the Bills to sign Mike Tolbert.

Tolbert was one of my would be surprising but a great fit FAs. It would've made a lot of sense to me

Tolbert was one of my would be surprising but a great fit FAs. It would've made a lot of sense to me

God… could you imagine?

Fourth quarter lead and the Bills just start feeding Tolbert the ball behind that huge offensive line… smash-mouth city… not for the faint of heart…

edit: I wouldn't have minded pursuing Michael Bush or Cedric Benson for that matter.

Both of those guys can really bring it.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I do not see Special Teams being the deciding factor for these two guys. I think Choice's experience gives him the advantage over White.

Unless White really makes a statement in camp and preseason, I don't see him making the active roster.

I agree, we have plenty of Special Teamers with the recent draft picks that I don't think this battle will come down to who can play ST.

I don't think that White should make the team over Choice. I mean Tashard is by far a better running back and has a lot more to offer than white, I never really understood the Johnny White pick from the start, he's nothing special at all IMO.

I didn't get it either, but I've been told he was drafted for special teams play and is quite a good gunner.

Whether that's enough to make up for other deficiencies can't tell ya

I don't get all the "White is a great ST guy" talk. The guy played in 12 games, and had 5 tackles. It's not like the Bills ST's were particularly good last year either. I'm not knocking White, but I don't see how anyone could say he is a good NFL ST player without any evidence of that whatsoever. He's also 5-10, 200 lbs, with mediocre at best speed.

Choice is a Gailey favorite, and Nix/Gailey went out of their way to sign Choice to play over White last year when FJ went down. Then they resigned Choice this year. I think Nix/Gailey have made it pretty clear that they strongly prefer Choice over White. I don't think there is even the slightest doubt in their mind. White may be a good candidate for the practice squad, unless an injury takes out one of the top 3.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Choice seems to be a better running back than White, but he was unimpressive as the #2.

If they are going to dress 3 HBs, you would want the 3rd one contributing on special teams.

I have a hard time remembering how well J. White contributed on special teams because Linebacker Chris White also played special teams.

3rd RB will probably come down to what happens at other positions. If special teams players like R.Martin do not make the team, then J.White has a better shot.

White was incredibly unimpressive for a RB, especially considering the success that Jackson and Spiller had. I know he was a rookie, but running backs should- and do- come in to the NFL ready to produce at a relatively high level. Unless Choice slows down and White proves to the coaching staff that he will benefit greatly from having OTAs, White should be gone. I don't think his versatility in college translates to the NFL.