Taking your kid to a Bills game

I don't agree with never taking your son or daughter to an away game ... as long as you pick the right away game. I took my son to a Jags/Bills game a few years back and we were in our full Bills regalia ... there was good natured ribbing back and forth ... but certianly no "bad" behavior towards us.

In light of full disclosure ... I think there were more Bills fans in the stadium than Jags fans so maybe they felt they were at an away game in their own stadium ... lol out loud.

I've had fewer instances of people trying to pick fights with me in the Medowlands than I have at RWS and I've seen the Bills in the Medowlands about as many times as I have at RWS ( and both places I'm wearing a Bills jersey.) I've been to stadiums all over the country and never seen as many drunks trying to cause trouble as I have at the Ralph.

As for the original question, this is one I've been considering lately as well. My 7 (soon to be 8) year old son is approaching the age where I'd like to take him but I'm leery of taking him given the atmosphere at the Ralph. I'll probably hold off for a few more years before I subject him to being dowsed in beer, stepping over vomit in the isle, fans yelling curse words non-stop and being knocked over by a brawl between two drunken idiots in the row behind him.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken my kids to games every year since they were 4 or so. They are 9 and 12 now and love going. We've never had an issue with any 'mega drunks'. We do witness some bad behavior and I used it as a teaching moment to show them how stupid these people look when they decide to make idiots of themselves. I show them how to have fun tailgating without getting smashed and being a moron.

I guess it depends on how sheltered you keep your kids. If you don't want to expose them to some amount of drunks, swearing and macho idiots, an NFL stadium is not the place for them.

Oh - the other important factor is your behavior. If you are one of the drunken idiots or macho punks looking for a fight, you probably should leave the little ones at home.

and btw - CONGRATS.

Wow you have issues with calling a guy asking for advice a druken idiot or macho punk. Maybe you should look in the mirror are you those things?

No one should take their kids to an NFL game unless they want them to see how ugly people can get over a sporting event. People are just plain ugly at those games and some are very violent. Keep your kids away unless you can squelch the fools quickly and by yourself.

I can't even imagine what the Bills games are going to be like in a few years. Take away the game itself and there is no fan experience at a Bills game. Unless you're drunk out of your mind, want to fight or chant the opposing qbs name into something that has a gay connotation, you're better holding off. It's a sad state of affairs that hopefully will change with some winning.

I can't even imagine what the Bills games are going to be like in a few years. Take away the game itself and there is no fan experience at a Bills game. Unless you're drunk out of your mind, want to fight or chant the opposing qbs name into something that has a gay connotation, you're better holding off. It's a sad state of affairs that hopefully will change with some winning.

It must suck going to games alone. Not sure where you hang out but the games are great fun for our crew.

PTR

I can't imagine that has anything to do with winning or losing.

No matter what King Roger says or does, in my opinion a regular season (or playoff this season hopefully) game is no place for a kid. It is an adult activity in an adult atmosphere, and there is nothing wrong with that. If the NFL tries to water down the game day experience too much they are going to have no one at the games. I think they should just leave it the way it is. Those that want to go to the games can, and those that do not can watch on TV with their kids (what I prefer). But for this paradigm to work completely it would take getting rid of the !@#$ing stupid piece of **** blackout rules.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Went to my first game when I was 8, the first game played at Rich Stadium...August 1973 pre-season loss to the Redskins. I always wanted to go to a game at the Rockpile when my dad, uncle and brother would go...but it was "too rough" for a kid, they said.

I was transfixed from that day on...I know the Ralph can be a little rough, but I would, seriously, take your kid to a pre-season game...not only are tickets much cheaper (even free if you know where to look) but if you take him when he is young, he isn't going to really know the difference. It is that whole experience of being in that crowd, the lights, seeing everything live.

We must be about the same age--I went to my first game the last year of the Rockpile when I was about 7 (Colts blanked us under Johnny U, 17-0, as did Miami the next year at the Ralph--my first two games and I never saw us even score!). My dad and I never had a problem, but I must admit that when he took my younger sister at age 6 she nearly got trampled by a bunch of rowdy drunks and that was the last game she went to. From then on, it was "boys only" for the next nigh 40 years.

I took my kids to the Bills-Giants game last year in NJ. My daughter just turned 8 ("her" birthday present--more like dad's) and my son was 3. All 4 of us wore our colors and had no problems--may have helped that the G-Men beat us, but still.

Either home or away, you just need to be aware of your surroundings and steer yourself and the kids clear of any real problem areas. All in all, I've found that almost everyone is nice to little kids at a game, thankfully, but every now and then you may run into one of the "real beauts" as my father used to call them....

I can't imagine that has anything to do with winning or losing.

No matter what King Roger says or does, in my opinion a regular season (or playoff this season hopefully) game is no place for a kid. It is an adult activity in an adult atmosphere, and there is nothing wrong with that. If the NFL tries to water down the game day experience too much they are going to have no one at the games. I think they should just leave it the way it is.

It might be this way but it shouldn't be. This isn't a bar or a stip club it's a sporting event (hell, in a bar or strip club they don't tolerate this type of behavior!) It should be a safe environment to take your family without having to worry about a bunch of drunken tools ruining the experience for everybody else. There is such a thing and drinking and enjoying yourself, being loud and cheering for your team without overindulging, losing control and starting trouble.

Personally I think they need to drop the hammer on the individuals who cause trouble and can't handle their alcohol. No more slap on the wrist fines, make it worth their while so these types of people stay home. You think losing these types of people will "water down the game day experience?" I think it will bring the people to the games who currently avoid them because of the environment.

I go to Phillies games 7-8 times a year, including the playoffs. Not once have I seen drunken idiots starting trouble. They're loud, passionate and totally into the game. I've never thought to myself, "this is a watered down experience, what this really needs are some brawls, puke, foul language and beer spilled on me."

It might be this way but it shouldn't be. This isn't a bar or a stip club it's a sporting event (hell, in a bar or strip club they don't tolerate this type of behavior!) It should be a safe environment to take your family without having to worry about a bunch of drunken tools ruining the experience for everybody else. There is such a thing and drinking and enjoying yourself, being loud and cheering for your team without overindulging, losing control and starting trouble.

Personally I think they need to drop the hammer on the individuals who cause trouble and can't handle their alcohol. No more slap on the wrist fines, make it worth their while so these types of people stay home. You think losing these types of people will "water down the game day experience?" I think it will bring the people to the games who currently avoid them because of the environment.

I go to Phillies games 7-8 times a year, including the playoffs. Not once have I seen drunken idiots starting trouble. They're loud, passionate and totally into the game. I've never thought to myself, "this is a watered down experience, what this really needs are some brawls, puke, foul language and beer spilled on me."

What I meant by "watering down the game day experience" is not what you described (arresting and heavily fining the idiots). Rather what the NFL is doing with recent "family friendly" rules limiting tailgating etc. I love tailgating all day at the Ralph, and after the game as well. By severely restricting the hours you are allowed to tailgate you are punishing everyone for the behavior of the idiots. That's what I don't like. What you suggest makes perfect sense and makes you wonder why that doesn't happen already.

What I meant by "watering down the game day experience" is not what you described (arresting and heavily fining the idiots). Rather what the NFL is doing with recent "family friendly" rules limiting tailgating etc. I love tailgating all day at the Ralph, and after the game as well. By severely restricting the hours you are allowed to tailgate you are punishing everyone for the behavior of the idiots. That's what I don't like. What you suggest makes perfect sense and makes you wonder why that doesn't happen already.

That's why there are private lots.

PTR

That's why there are private lots.

PTR

I'm not singling you out or making a judgment on your attitude about the game day experience. Since you are a passionate out of town fan who still attends a number of games I was wondering if you would still go to the games or have an opinion about others going to the games at the Ralph if they did not allow alcohol consumption at the games.

After reading a number of posts on this topic it has been a revelation to me how rowdy and intoxicated so many fans are at the games. I'm not a prude and intolerant person, far from it. But I don't want to be near people at any social and sporting events who are behaving in what I consider to be obnoxious and anti-social manner.

When a topic comes up as to whether it is safe to bring young children to a game that in itself is a statement about the troublesome environment at the event. What I find a little unsettling is the acceptance of such behavior moreso than the rowdy behavior in itself. Some people have made the point that young children should not be allowed at an adult event. In my value system that is not how adults should behave.

As I stated in the beginning of the post I'm not singling you out as doing anything wrong. You seem to be very tuned it to the game day atmosphere. I would be interested in more of your thoughts (or anyone else's) about it because you are genuinely knowledgeable about what is going on throughout the stadium.

Edited by JohnC

:wallbash:

We must be about the same age--I went to my first game the last year of the Rockpile when I was about 7 (Colts blanked us under Johnny U, 17-0, as did Miami the next year at the Ralph--my first two games and I never saw us even score!). My dad and I never had a problem, but I must admit that when he took my younger sister at age 6 she nearly got trampled by a bunch of rowdy drunks and that was the last game she went to. From then on, it was "boys only" for the next nigh 40 years.

I took my kids to the Bills-Giants game last year in NJ. My daughter just turned 8 ("her" birthday present--more like dad's) and my son was 3. All 4 of us wore our colors and had no problems--may have helped that the G-Men beat us, but still.

Either home or away, you just need to be aware of your surroundings and steer yourself and the kids clear of any real problem areas. All in all, I've found that almost everyone is nice to little kids at a game, thankfully, but every now and then you may run into one of the "real beauts" as my father used to call them....

Not only are we the same age, but I was at that game too...I had an awesome time...I had been there to see the Bills/Jets before, but never Bills/Giants. Must say, Giants fans, in general, were much cooler. I didn't have any kids with me, and I did take some ribbing on my way to the game (took the bus from Manhatten/Port Authority), but nothing out of line. Honeslty, it makes it kind of fun...I remember coming here after that game, and a bunch of people posted how they thought Giants fans were the biggest A-holes around...my experience was completely the opposite.

I will throw in, my best friend and I had season tickets through most of the 1980's (moved away just when they got really good :wallbash: ). During the 1985 season my buddy got "sick" (I still contend he was faking cuz he couldn't stand wathcing them anymore- they were bad!), and I had a really hard time gettnig anyone interested in going...so I dragged my little sister with me to a few games, she was about 13...to this day, she has no interest in ever going to a Bills game again...she will go to any Sabres game...but absolutely no Bills games.

:wallbash:

Not only are we the same age, but I was at that game too...I had an awesome time...I had been there to see the Bills/Jets before, but never Bills/Giants. Must say, Giants fans, in general, were much cooler. I didn't have any kids with me, and I did take some ribbing on my way to the game (took the bus from Manhatten/Port Authority), but nothing out of line. Honeslty, it makes it kind of fun...I remember coming here after that game, and a bunch of people posted how they thought Giants fans were the biggest A-holes around...my experience was completely the opposite.

I will throw in, my best friend and I had season tickets through most of the 1980's (moved away just when they got really good :wallbash: ). During the 1985 season my buddy got "sick" (I still contend he was faking cuz he couldn't stand wathcing them anymore- they were bad!), and I had a really hard time gettnig anyone interested in going...so I dragged my little sister with me to a few games, she was about 13...to this day, she has no interest in ever going to a Bills game again...she will go to any Sabres game...but absolutely no Bills games.

Oh, I agree about Giants fans versus Jets fans. I went to the Bills-Jets game in the Meadowlands about 10 years ago and ran into more than my share of jerks. That said, I'm debating taking my wife and kids to this year's opener in NJ, maybe with my bro-in-law and his family, as he's a big Jets fan, but am still a bit up in the air on it....

I'm not singling you out or making a judgment on your attitude about the game day experience. Since you are a passionate out of town fan who still attends a number of games I was wondering if you would still go to the games or have an opinion about others going to the games at the Ralph if they did not allow alcohol consumption at the games.

After reading a number of posts on this topic it has been a revelation to me how rowdy and intoxicated so many fans are at the games. I'm not a prude and intolerant person, far from it. But I don't want to be near people at any social and sporting events who are behaving in what I consider to be obnoxious and anti-social manner.

When a topic comes up as to whether it is safe to bring young children to a game that in itself is a statement about the troublesome environment at the event. What I find a little unsettling is the acceptance of such behavior moreso than the rowdy behavior in itself. Some people have made the point that young children should not be allowed at an adult event. In my value system that is not how adults should behave.

As I stated in the beginning of the post I'm not singling you out as doing anything wrong. You seem to be very tuned it to the game day atmosphere. I would be interested in more of your thoughts (or anyone else's) about it because you are genuinely knowledgeable about what is going on throughout the stadium.

John, I would say just the opposite. It is a revelation to me how many people think the stadium or any NFL game is any more out of hand than it was in the 70's. I think it is a product of the information society, much like the so called greater threat to our children in every facet of life. In reality, kids are much safer today than they were in the 70's, just when some 6 year old in Iowa or wherever went missing back then, it was not on the fricken Today show for 6 weeks straight.

Same as the NFL, now every fight, every drunk etc is on YouTube in minutes. I truly have never had a serious issue at a game either with or without my kids. Maybe my ideas of issues are differant..yes I have to ask people some time to tone down the language..and 100% of the time people really try.But I also get when an occasional f bomb or other curse word comes out after another Bills turnover and don't make a big deal out of it. I have never had a beer poored on me or the kids, never even close to a fight..think the kids have seen one drunk puke in the seat..but gotta tell you they have also seen that in Carytown(think Gerogetown) here in Richmond...should we never go to dinner in Carytown again cause some body puked on the street?

I dunno, I am always falbbergasted at these threads. Crimminay, I remember people telling my old man not to take us to games at the Rockpile cause of the "rough element" in the neighborhood..but we always went and always had a great time. I remember the drunks, remember the all out wars for the kicked balls(before nets behind the goal posts), remember a fight ot two..but most of all remember having great times with my Dad and Brother...why would you want to deny your kids that memory?

Edited by plenzmd1

I remember the drunks, remember the all out wars for the kicked balls(before nets behind the goal posts), remember a fight ot two..but most of all remember having great times with my Dad and Brother...why would you want to deny your kids that memory?

This. My son cannot wait until the schedule comes out and wants to know which game we are going to.....and he has seen some pretty crude behavior the previous years....yet, I prepared him for that and dealt with it as it occured. He loves seeing his relatives at this annual event and all that goes with it.....Wings the Saturday night before the game, the fieldhouse game morning, hanging out and throwing the football in the parking lot pre-game......the absolute amazing energy in the stadium as the players are introduced right through kickoff (that is probably the most imprinting thing for him)......getting a new jersey/hat....the food....walking around the street vendor area.....all that....too many good things to see. I would like to think these life experiences (within the context of solid parenting) will help him see right from wrong and avoid being so fragile from living in a sterile environment where he is only exposed to pretty shiny things......that typically never ends well.

Again, could not imagine depriving him of a Bills week-end.......and game day experience.

I agree with some of the posters that it can be a valuable learning experience when your kids can see the right way and wrong way to conduct yourself all in the same day. Bills games are a good opportunity to show your kids how to have fun with class and respect for others, and you'll be sure to get a chance to point out how foolish other people look who swear in front of kids, get drunk and obnoxious etc.

Here are my two tips:

1. Everyone usually stands up when there is an exciting play going on, so kids get screened seeing from the action precisely when they WANT to see what's happening and can miss a lot of the fun. I think it's worth paying the extra money to get front row seats (the 300 level front rows are great, 200's even better but usually really pricey) The other option is to get aisle seats and have your child on the aisle so they can kind of peek out when something good is happening and the big dude in front of them stands up. I think its a bit lame when you go to a game and have to watch a live play on the jumbotron. I have one of those at home in my living room for free.

2. Its a good idea to explain ahead of time that some people weren't lucky enough to be brought up to control foul language around children. I told my son its simply a fact of life, and that most people are sensitive to that stuff but others either don't know or don't respect the rule. It opens up one of those "yeah dad I already know all the words from the school bus" type of conversations, and I still recall thinking it was funny that my 10 year old was telling me to relax about the issue and that he knew they were just words and he doesn't use them etc.

The funny thing was we got last minute tickets down low behind the New England bench and there was a drunk guy thoroughly embarrassing himself and security came and got him when he tried to throw his cup on the field. It was a great lesson to see what happens to the idiots.

Nothing better than giving a child a lesson and then they see it unfold in real life. gives credibility to the old man.

John, I would say just the opposite. It is a revelation to me how many people think the stadium or any NFL game is any more out of hand than it was in the 70's. I think it is a product of the information society, much like the so called greater threat to our children in every facet of life. In reality, kids are much safer today than they were in the 70's, just when some 6 year old in Iowa or wherever went missing back then, it was not on the fricken Today show for 6 weeks straight.

Same as the NFL, now every fight, every drunk etc is on YouTube in minutes. I truly have never had a serious issue at a game either with or without my kids. Maybe my ideas of issues are differant..yes I have to ask people some time to tone down the language..and 100% of the time people really try.But I also get when an occasional f bomb or other curse word comes out after another Bills turnover and don't make a big deal out of it. I have never had a beer poored on me or the kids, never even close to a fight..think the kids have seen one drunk puke in the seat..but gotta tell you they have also seen that in Carytown(think Gerogetown) here in Richmond...should we never go to dinner in Carytown again cause some body puked on the street?

I dunno, I am always falbbergasted at these threads. Crimminay, I remember people telling my old man not to take us to games at the Rockpile cause of the "rough element" in the neighborhood..but we always went and always had a great time. I remember the drunks, remember the all out wars for the kicked balls(before nets behind the goal posts), remember a fight ot two..but most of all remember having great times with my Dad and Brother...why would you want to deny your kids that memory?

This is the best post I have read in awhile. I have been going to games for 25 years now & I have never had a beer poured on me, never seen anybody puke, never got in a fight. I am sure this stuff happens but I just don't think it is common as alot of people would like you to believe. I also have had great memories of my dad taking me to games. The first game he took me to was Kelly's first game against the Jets in 1986 & I have been hooked ever since. You could shelter your kids & not take them to the stadium & that is certainly your perogative, but keep in mind your also depriving them of seeing an actual live NFL football game & costing you & your children memories that will last a life time. I think that reward is certainly worth the risk of having someone pour a beer on you or your kid or puking in front of them, which is probably has a chance of less then 1% of happening. I took my son to his first regular season game last year against Philly. He absolutely loved it. I did not sit in my normal season ticket seats either. We sat in the upper deck row 30 & we had no issues. I already have plans to bring him to the New England game this year.

I was four when my father and uncle took me to my first game. It was October 1983, a Monday night game against the Jets in which we were blown out. I don't recall much, bu I remember was walking into the stadium and seeing the field under the lights for the first time. My Dad said I fell asleep sometime in the second quarter and then he carried me back to the car sometime late in the third.

My Mom was pissed to high hell when we got home...lol. She had no clue we were going to the game. She was working late that night and my Dad just left her a note that my uncle had a couple extra tickets and that he was dragging me along. I guess he couldn't find a babysitter at that late notice.

We became season ticket holders in the family section in 1987 and attended every game through the mid-90's. So, I was eight when I really started to attend the games and I remember loving every second of it. Definitely old enough at that point to follow the games passionately and I wasn't intimidated or afraid of the crowd element.

I'm not sure when I'd take my own son to an NFL game. I took him to a Padres game here in SD when he was about a year old and all he wanted to do was run around at the park behind the bleacher seats. He had fun but it's a totally different atmosphere than an NFL game. His first real football game will probably be at the Rose Bowl in a couple of years to check out his Dad's UCLA Bruins. Outside of the student section, it's a much more collegial atmosphere and he's not likely to see the drunken tomfoolery or hear the kind of racy language he'd be exposed to at an NFL game.