Buddy's Success in San Diego

Buddy was the Director of Pro Player Personnel for his first year with the Chargers, but after Butler died, Smith was promoted to General Manager, and Nix to Assistant General Manager. Your challenge is fair - I can't say that Buddy pulled the strings, as he reported to A.J. Smith. I did read that Nix was one of the major draft-day decision makers for the Chargers, which would imply that it was a team approach, rather than a one-man show.

In any case, he has experience in a winning program in San Diego, and I would love to see similar results here in Buffalo.

Question ? Wasn't Buddy part of the Bills scouting department that came after Pollian left when Butler was here ?

And did he leave to go to SD after Butler went out there ?? I have heard mention that Butler was here & then went out west to the Chargers ..

Too if that is the way it was in SD (as far as a team thing in the draft room) it seems as though Buddy is doing the same thing with Whaley as his wing man !!

Edited by T master

Yes - I was going to write, we can't know for sure just how much influence Nix had, but we do know what happened to the franchise when he arrived, it's climb, and what has happened to it since he left - a steady decline; conversely, we know that since Buddy arrived in Buffalo as the GM, the Bills have slowly risen, not as much in wins as in talent, and this team looks ready to win 10 games this year. If it does, he'll have had a 4, 6, and 10 win season climb in years 1-3, and one would assume the Bills, being a young, talented team, with a very nice structure in place, would be ready to get better still, and stay good, for a number of years.

Nice job looking into that. I have nothing bad to say about what Nix has done. He simplifies football to making it played by big men who run fast and who are smart enough to learn, and who have decent characters. If the players play well they are rewarded. It's an easy approach that people can jump on board with. Now we just have to start really winning. I believe it is coming.

He is also simplifying by drafting mostly players that have injury free 3+ seasons. That is key.

One team wins the Super Bowl each year. The goal is to give yourselves a shot at it each year. the Chargers are always playoff contenders and have arguably the best talent in the league many years. Just beacuse Norv Turner is an idiot doesnt mean thats not a good team

You're right, but the guy that fired Marty for him is. Being a good team is how you get it done now? I'm not debating they've done more than us, but they haven't gotten anything done. They should have, but haven't. I'd argue they are messing up a great thing.

One team wins the Super Bowl each year. The goal is to give yourselves a shot at it each year. the Chargers are always playoff contenders and have arguably the best talent in the league many years. Just beacuse Norv Turner is an idiot doesnt mean thats not a good team

Norv Turner doesn't coach their defense.

Shame buddy's first draft with Bills was as bad as it was

That draft should hv been O-line heavy instead of small school heavy

thats total bs, and i hate when people say this.

spiller was a great pick... he has marshall faulk written all over him.

troup was the most productive dt in his rookie year, had a great offseason and few days of camp and then got hurt.

carrington is a beast! not sure what the hell people are talking about here...

easley has shown great potential in the offseason and got hurt.

moats was a steal and is a really good 3rd down edge rusher.

batten is a solid backup

:wallbash:

Buddy Nix has won over a lot of fans (myself included) by establishing what appears to be the foundation of a much more competitive football team. I became curious about the Charger's success in San Diego relative to the time that Buddy was making most of the draft-day decisions, so I did a little digging.

The Chargers were pretty crappy when Buddy arrived, and continued to struggle for three more years. In Buddy's 4th year, the Chargers jumped from last to first in the AFC West and remained perennial AFC powerhouses for the next six years. Of the players that Buddy drafted in San Diego, 3 went to the Pro Bowl in 2005, 6 in 2006, 11 in 2007 and 8 in 2008 (source: Wikipedia).

It feels like Buddy is taking us down the same path. I'm not sure if we're ready to leapfrog the Pats* this year, but the Bills are ready to make some noise. How cool would it be to have 11 Pro Bowlers on the Bill's roster?

I've attached an image of the Charger's records relative to the Buddy's time with the team.

Not sure how much control Buddy had in S.D., as I believe he was always, at most, second in control behind John Butler and A.J. Smith. The down side is, over the past decade plus, San Diego might just be the most underachieving team in the NFL, with some seasons, maybe having the most talent in the NFL, and no rings to show for it, not even much post season success at all.

Buddy Nix has won over a lot of fans (myself included) by establishing what appears to be the foundation of a much more competitive football team. I became curious about the Charger's success in San Diego relative to the time that Buddy was making most of the draft-day decisions, so I did a little digging.

The Chargers were pretty crappy when Buddy arrived, and continued to struggle for three more years. In Buddy's 4th year, the Chargers jumped from last to first in the AFC West and remained perennial AFC powerhouses for the next six years. Of the players that Buddy drafted in San Diego, 3 went to the Pro Bowl in 2005, 6 in 2006, 11 in 2007 and 8 in 2008 (source: Wikipedia).

It feels like Buddy is taking us down the same path. I'm not sure if we're ready to leapfrog the Pats* this year, but the Bills are ready to make some noise. How cool would it be to have 11 Pro Bowlers on the Bill's roster?

I've attached an image of the Charger's records relative to the Buddy's time with the team.

This has always cracked me up. So, Buddy gets all the credit for making San Diego decent as a scout, but yet gets all the credit for hopefully making the Bills decent.....as a GM.

I like Nix. I love Gailey. But the way people spin Nix on this forum is absolutely incredible.

thats total bs, and i hate when people say this.

spiller was a great pick... he has marshall faulk written all over him.

troup was the most productive dt in his rookie year, had a great offseason and few days of camp and then got hurt.

carrington is a beast! not sure what the hell people are talking about here...

easley has shown great potential in the offseason and got hurt.

moats was a steal and is a really good 3rd down edge rusher.

batten is a solid backup

:wallbash:

Zero starters after 2 years. I think Nix is on record saying you want to find at least 2 immediate starters in every class. By his own standard, this draft was unsuccessful.

The draft may yet prove productive, but Nix massively underestimated the team's quality and depth at RB. Although I like Carrington and think the Bills have probably done him a disservice by moving him around so much, he has yet to be a difference-maker. Injuries are part of the game. I don't wish to rehash the Is-Moats-Great debate. But 5 career sacks does not make him a really good pass rusher.

You're right, but the guy that fired Marty for him is. Being a good team is how you get it done now? I'm not debating they've done more than us, but they haven't gotten anything done. They should have, but haven't. I'd argue they are messing up a great thing.

If the team underachives is that the GMs fault? Phillip Rivers, Shawn Merriman, LT, Vincent Jackson, one of the better olines in the league and a solid defense? You cant tell me the GM didnt set that team up for success. All Buddy can do is give the coaches talent. Its hard to argue he didnt do that