Peter King on Florence's release

Well, to be honest KtD, I'm not a fan due to the fact they use network feeds to base their judgements and have posted as much on several occasions:

"We use TV broadcasts for both the analysis and the player participation data. We’ve been asked a lot how therefore is it possible to determine who was on the field in every position through TV pictures. Surely that just isn’t possible? Well, just because something is not easy doesn’t mean it is impossible. Firstly, the high definition picture from which we work is excellent, and that gives us the best starting point outside of coaches’ film, which isn’t attainable outside of NFL offices."

Those feeds are highly variable, based on the number of cameras at a particular game, and of course, focus most of their attention on the ball (as opposed to coaches video which looks at the entire field--the stuff Jaws uses so effectively to break down plays).

The PFF guys can say nothing's "impossible" all they want, but it just is--based on the GIGO of television feeds that can't capture what's happening at all points on a play. I take their suff with a big grain of salt...

True. And I agree. Although it's USUALLY pretty accurate because they follow the ball, to see how many passes were attempted on a CB and how many were complete for how many yards. Although I'm sure they get some wrong where you don't know what a guy's actually assignment was. But you're right for the most part, and especially their own disclaimer right next to those CB stats means it is not any kind of definitive stat whatsoever. And I thought Florence just sucked last year, even though our pass rush was abysmal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you feel Florence was left hung out to dry or not, the stat that is being thrown around, he was the worst on the team in that stat. All players, including McKelvin, had the same pass rush.

But does anyone have McKelvin's number?

Because I couldn't find it for free. You have to be a premium subscriber.

I wouldn't be surprised if McKelvin was 102.7

But does anyone have McKelvin's number?

Because I couldn't find it for free. You have to be a premium subscriber.

I wouldn't be surprised if McKelvin was 102.7

Probably pretty close. Yes, this is Bleacher Report but in it they are just referring to the PFF numbers, and it says that Florence, McGee and McKelvin all had ratings over 100. For all the big plays that Leodis gave up it's surprising he wasn't higher than Florence. But it was those big plays, which probably only totaled 10 the entire season (10 too many of course), which made LD look like he was the worst CB ever.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1171041-projecting-the-buffalo-bills-top-training-camp-battles

For peformance reasons...I thought Drayton got a tough deal.....corners cannot cover without pass rush....

but its not jut about that....he is older....making too much money....and we just drafted 2 corners with a ton of potential.....I think THAT is the reason why you let Drayton go.

This is a sign that we're growing up!!

Ken Whisenhunt may disagree all he wants, I'm just saying that strictly in terms of material to be learned from an NFL playbook, CB has the least amount to learn.

That's not to say it's an easy transition. It's easier for some than others but a transition none the less.

I'm not arguing that the Bills aren't short on experience in the defensive backfield, either. I fully expect them to bring in another vet presence.

GO BILLS!!!

So, are you just saying that NFL defenses don't run a lot of "plays" for their CBs?

The trouble is that at least some coaches ideally want a defensive backfield that can diagnose what the opponent's offense is doing and adjust to counter it. Not all college DBs have the experience in making those transitions and many don't even practice the necessary skills and technique. Sitting in a cover-2 all day against Tom Brady would be a recipe for defeat, no?

Probably pretty close. Yes, this is Bleacher Report but in it they are just referring to the PFF numbers, and it says that Florence, McGee and McKelvin all had ratings over 100. For all the big plays that Leodis gave up it's surprising he wasn't higher than Florence. But it was those big plays, which probably only totaled 10 the entire season (10 too many of course), which made LD look like he was the worst CB ever.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1171041-projecting-the-buffalo-bills-top-training-camp-battles

Not that McKelvin and an aging McGee are superstars right now, but if all 3 CBs are in fact over an 100 each then maybe there is something to the pass rush as a causation of the poor QB rating against our CBs.

Edited by Why So Serious?

A thought about "context" - it's true that the Bills pass rush didn't do our corners any favors last year. But this is equally true for all the DB's, not just Florence. Yet Florence is the only Bills DB to show up on any of PFF's lists for the poorest performing cornerbacks.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/cornerbacks-a-glance-at-the-2011-numbers/

So, are you just saying that NFL defenses don't run a lot of "plays" for their CBs?

The trouble is that at least some coaches ideally want a defensive backfield that can diagnose what the opponent's offense is doing and adjust to counter it. Not all college DBs have the experience in making those transitions and many don't even practice the necessary skills and technique. Sitting in a cover-2 all day against Tom Brady would be a recipe for defeat, no?

I'm not just saying that at all. I'm saying that of all the positions on a team, the amount of playbook material required for a CB to learn is the least. It simply not as complicated a position to learn in terms of the playbook. There simply isn't as much for them to do vs. your DL, LBs, and Ss.

Ironically, CB requires the most amount of athleticism to play it well. There is a lot of truth to the old axiom that CBs are the best athletes on an NFL football team.

As for Brady, it's a pick your poison proposition. Man, zone, or any combination, stopping Brady has a lot more to do with your front seven schematics and safety play, anyway. But that's another topic.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not just saying that at all. I'm saying that of all the positions on a team, the amount of playbook material required for a CB to learn is the least. It simply not as complicated a position to learn in terms of the playbook. There simply isn't as much for them to do vs. your DL, LBs, and Ss.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ironically, CB requires the most amount of athleticism to play it well. There is a lot of truth to the old axiom that CBs are the best athletes on an NFL football team.

As for Brady, it's a pick your poison proposition. Man, zone, or any combination, stopping Brady has a lot more to do with your front seven schematics and safety play, anyway. But that's another topic.

Never meant to imply that defending Brady was "all about CB play". :huh:

Frankly, I just wasn't sure what you really meant. B-)

My ultimate point is that Gilmore is more NFL ready, regardless of the size of the playbook, than the Williams kid from Texas was last year, which was touched on a bit in the thread.

The statistics only validate exactly what I believed. Florence had moments when his INTs preserved his job, but overall he was just terrible in pass coverage. I for one, have no concern about this cut, and while I wish him the best moving forward, I truly believe the BILLS are better in the long-run for letting him go. It may be difficult to watch for a year or so given the new pressure created on the young secondary, but in the end, this will be a better Defense for it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Never meant to imply that defending Brady was "all about CB play". :huh:

Frankly, I just wasn't sure what you really meant. B-)

My ultimate point is that Gilmore is more NFL ready, regardless of the size of the playbook, than the Williams kid from Texas was last year, which was touched on a bit in the thread.

Hell, I'm unsure of what I really mean half the time.

I agree that Gilmore appears more ready than Williams. And if the pre-draft rankings mean anything, the pundits certainly agree. too. I remember some had Williams going late first, early second last year and I was glad the Bills got him. I think his development was hindered early on by injury. But what I like about him is that he improved once he got healthy and continued to do so as the season progressed. I like his trajectory.

GO BILLS!!!

A thought about "context" - it's true that the Bills pass rush didn't do our corners any favors last year. But this is equally true for all the DB's, not just Florence. Yet Florence is the only Bills DB to show up on any of PFF's lists for the poorest performing cornerbacks.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/cornerbacks-a-glance-at-the-2011-numbers/

Florence Made the Top 10, but we don't have the complete information.

#10 is 102.8

McKelvin could be #11 at 102.7 we don't know.