Rob Johnson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing not too many of you actually watched all 4+ minutes of that.

In case anyone is still wondering, it is a mockery of Rob Johnson.

There's some epic "crunch photos" of him at 1:38, 2:08, and 3:18.

There's also a few shots of him and Flutie and there's a shot of Rob with his trademark bandana.

However because it is all still photos, it's hard to say whether any of the photos of him scrambling resulted in a rushing attempt/loss on the play because he refused to throw the ball away even though he was out of the tackle box.

I'm guessing not too many of you actually watched all 4+ minutes of that.

In case anyone is still wondering, it is a mockery of Rob Johnson.

There's some epic "crunch photos" of him at 1:38, 2:08, and 3:18.

There's also a few shots of him and Flutie and there's a shot of Rob with his trademark bandana.

However because it is all still photos, it's hard to say whether any of the photos of him scrambling resulted in a rushing attempt/loss on the play because he refused to throw the ball away even though he was out of the tackle box.

You forgot to mention the one of him standing on the sideline with his arm in a sling. :w00t:

You're on a roll… let's not pretend that Rob Johnson played well.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001080oti.htm

Funny when looking at the stats. He threw for 55 more yards and one less INT (Zero to 1)than future MVP McNair. But he was also sacked six times. Probably close to his per game career averages...

But as always QB's are judged by wins and losses. He led the game winning FG drive and if weren't for Throwback he would have been a hero - all be it a hero that gave up way too many sacks.

Dam Bruce had 2.5 sacks in that game too...

Funny when looking at the stats. He threw for 55 more yards and one less INT (Zero to 1)than future MVP McNair. But he was also sacked six times. Probably close to his per game career averages...

But as always QB's are judged by wins and losses. He led the game winning FG drive and if weren't for Throwback he would have been a hero - all be it a hero that gave up way too many sacks.

Dam Bruce had 2.5 sacks in that game too...

Yep. The most sacked QB per attempt in NFL history.

I used to love how he would run out of bounds for a loss rather than throwing the ball away.

One reason I didn't like the guy is because I was convinced that he would rather take a sack than throw an incompletion because he was stat-conscious, not team-conscious.

JMO.

Yep. The most sacked QB per attempt in NFL history.

I used to love how he would run out of bounds for a loss rather than throwing the ball away.

One reason I didn't like the guy is because I was convinced that he would rather take a sack than throw an incompletion because he was stat-conscious, not team-conscious.

JMO.

I don't think he was smart enough to know how to calculate a completion percentage...

I don't think he was smart enough to know how to calculate a completion percentage...

LOL! And yet it was the Bills who traded a first and a fourth for him and inked him to a 5-year, $25 million contract.

Hopefully we don't witness such incompetence at One Bills Drive ever again.

1998 against the dolphins that was a great play, by moulds! Typical of RJ, he only got it off because he rolled out to his right,which was not across his body. It was the only points we scored that game as RJ was worthless on every other play of the season which is why we started 0-3 that year. The video which should be a tribute shows the sad reality of RJ being sacked, running for his life, and fumbling. Where do you see him in the pocket throwing a pass in the video???

RJ showed about as much as say mckelvin, a guy with some athletic ability with zero presence of mind to do the job.

No, pretty sure it was against the Redskins or the Chiefs...RJ running to the right sideline, threw across his body to the left sideline...perfect pass.

He led the game winning FG drive and if weren't for Throwback he would have been a hero - all be it a hero that gave up way too many sacks.

with one sneaker on, don't forget that. Doug needed both cleats on just to reach his reported 5'10" height.

Like another present-day QB, currently playing for the Jests, whose legend is somewhat unjustifed.

I once did an analysis of the stats for the year of Homerun Throwback and if I recall, the Bills offense under Flutie scored something like 13 points per game average for the season. What got the Bills to the playoffs was the Number 1 or 2 (forget) ranked defense in the NFL, that not only held opponents to like 10 points a game offensively, but often scored TDs as well.

By that season, teams had figured out that to neutralize Dougie, they merely had to maintain rush lanes, get their hands up, and take away his scrambling opportunities. Plus, a LB assigned to spy on him in case he did escape. This also helped make our O-line look better than it was.

Yep. As I remember it, Flutie's "magic" often happened in the 4th Quarter after he stunk up the first three quarters but thankfully our Defense kept us in the game. The Defense won games back then, not Flutie nor Johnson.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Like another present-day QB, currently playing for the Jests, whose legend is somewhat unjustifed.

I once did an analysis of the stats for the year of Homerun Throwback and if I recall, the Bills offense under Flutie scored something like 13 points per game average for the season. What got the Bills to the playoffs was the Number 1 or 2 (forget) ranked defense in the NFL, that not only held opponents to like 10 points a game offensively, but often scored TDs as well.

By that season, teams had figured out that to neutralize Dougie, they merely had to maintain rush lanes, get their hands up, and take away his scrambling opportunities. Plus, a LB assigned to spy on him in case he did escape. This also helped make our O-line look better than it was.

Not including game 16 in 1999, the team averaged 19.25 points per game. They ended up 16th in points and 11th in yards. They were 11th in net yards passing, but they actually didn't pass that much, ranking 24th in the number of attempts. It's not as if the Bills D, which was very good, generated points itself: they were 26th in INTs and 25th in forced fumbles.

Bob's #'s may not be exactly right but his basic point pretty much is. The D did directly generate 7 points in Miami on MNF on a Marino sack/fumble/TD return - one of the biggest games/wins of the year in a 23-18 win (Wade brilliantly remarked "well we didn't stomp on a can of hairspray" when asked how important of a win it was).

But anyway even if you count that play as offensive production, the Bills offense failed to reach a meager 17 pts in 5 of 8 road games that year. A sack & forced fumble of Tony Banks set up the game winning score in Baltimore in a 13-10 win where the offense was an abortion all day. Before Vinaterri was Vinaterri he missed three FG's in NE in a 13-10 OT win (Flutie made sure to point out after the game that he "played flawlessly" in the 4th Qtr in OT and by all accounts he was actually serious). We were also shut down at home by a Giants team whose secondary was ravaged by injuries late in the year.

So 6 sacks or 60 sacks, 16pts against a Titans defense that was the best we'd seen all year and 8-0 at home was hardly any sort of outlier for that season.

1998 against the dolphins that was a great play, by moulds!

I remember that play. For you wrestling fans it was the heyday of Degeneration X and Moulds actually did the 'crotch chop' to the crowd after scoring. If I wasn't a fan of Moulds already I sure was then.

Edited by BuffOrange