LT vs. RT...? 3-4 OLB = 4-3DE?? "back up worthy players"???

Okso between the draft scouting reports and peoples opinions on other threads...my mind has been blown by veiws of my fellow buffalo cohorts :wallbash:

I think alot of us have taken our stupid pills during the off season and would like to have afew things alieviated by someone with football knowledge and background...

1. Define the difference between LT and a RT in terms of skill set.

2. how long are andy levitres arms?

3. why do people see some OLBs on our team (i.e. merriman)successfully moving to DE and other OLBs not(i.e. moats/batten)

4. why wouldnt our OLBs just stay OLBs?

5. Define the term "good backup player" and give me an example and reasoning...

serious... sarcasm...

Okso between the draft scouting reports and peoples opinions on other threads...my mind has been blown by veiws of my fellow buffalo cohorts :wallbash:

I think alot of us have taken our stupid pills during the off season and would like to have afew things alieviated by someone with football knowledge and background...

3. why do people see some OLBs on our team (i.e. merriman)successfully moving to DE and other OLBs not(i.e. moats/batten)

serious... sarcasm...

1. LT are generally better athletes and need to be the teams best pass protector bc usually the defenses best pass rusher is over there. The way the league is going we're going need to "LTs" on the team, another to run more cuz finding two elite pass protectors is going to be difficult.

2. 32.5" http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/andy-levitre?id=71363

3. I don't think Merriman can play DE bc when he lined up in that position he got stonewalled. I think Batten and Moats could play DE bc that's what they did in college if they muscle up.

4. A 34 OLB is basically a pass rusher and are much bigger than 43 OLBs who are speedy tackling/coverage guys and it would take a special athlete to both.

5. Unfortunately Fitz is a good backup player, which is someone who can play good on limited basis but just isn't good enough to do it full time.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3. I don't think Merriman can play DE bc when he lined up in that position he got stonewalled. I think Batten and Moats could play DE bc that's what they did in college if they muscle up.

Wasn't Batten just as stonewalled? Merriman played DE in college also.

1. LT are generally better athletes and need to be the teams best pass protector bc usually the defenses best pass rusher is over there. The way the league is going we're going need to "LTs" on the team, another to run more cuz finding two elite pass protectors is going to be difficult.

2. 32.5" http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/andy-levitre?id=71363

4. A 34 OLB is basically a pass rusher and are much bigger than 43 OLBs who are speedy tackling/coverage guys and it would take a special athlete to both.

5. Unfortunately Fitz is a good backup player, which is someone who can play good on limited basis but just isn't good enough to do it full time.

I like Barbarians early draft list, he didn't get his man Tanneyhill this year, but good to see he's going back to Texas for his next QB.

I actually think this is a good post. Our assumptions regarding these issues aren't necessarily the same as the coaches' assumptions.

I wonder if even Wanny has full clarity on the defensive questions here. I suspect he's waiting for training camp to see how well some players adopt to new roles in his version of the 4-3.

That's one way to skew reality... :wacko:

Turns out he was doubled EVERY play, which is why at the beginning of the year we DID have a pass rush--one that didn't result in sacks, but was capable of applying enough pressure to force quarterbacks into mistakes (i.e. interceptions, like the four Brady threw last September).

When Williams and Merriman went down, so did our picks.

Both of them were very, very important to our defense/team's success.

Stonewalled? No.

Turns out he was doubled EVERY play, which is why at the beginning of the year we DID have a pass rush--one that didn't result in sacks, but was capable of applying enough pressure to force quarterbacks into mistakes (i.e. interceptions, like the four Brady threw last September).

Stonewalled? No.

Thank you. On one leg and with one shoulder, Merriman actually played quite well last year, against the run, and the pass. It was a substantial decline when he went out and was not taking up two blockers or at least the attention of the opposition's OL and backfield.

I actually think this is a good post. Our assumptions regarding these issues aren't necessarily the same as the coaches' assumptions.

I wonder if even Wanny has full clarity on the defensive questions here. I suspect he's waiting for training camp to see how well some players adopt to new roles in his version of the 4-3.

obviously there are prototypes, and then guys that can surprise you when dropped in a role. most of the guys in question (batten, moats, etc..) would be surprises if they succeeded in a 43 - which can happen, but i dont think anyone (outside some posters) is banking on it...

Stonewalled? No.

GREAT POINT... Thank You!!!

As to LT needing to be an athlete: the Bills coaching staff described a pass blocking LT as one who has a wide range on a play. That either means they have good foot work to create the arc that prevents speed rushers from taking shorter angles to the QB or they have longer arms that accomplish much the same object.

This is important because most Qb's are right handed and they tend to keep their eyes on the right side of the field. Therefore, they are less likely to see rushers coming from their left, hence the left side is referred to as the "blind side." This means that a team looking to be successful passing must be able to protect the Qb from pressure coming from the left side and raises the importance of pass blocking for LT's rather then RT's. The RT is often seen as needing less foot speed or able to succeed with shorter arms because the Qb will be able to see the pressure from that side and get rid of the ball quickly.

Miami might be trying to get ahead of the curve in the new passing NFL if they do use Martin and Long at RT and LT respectively, in that both tackles are capable pass blockers. But some draft dorks have been questioning Martin for the role as RT as he is seen as two weak and too small to be the prototypical big body on the right. he might grow, which seems likely or the Dolphins will have begun a new league standard of having two capable pass blockers on the field at both Tackle spots.

1336053600[/url]' post='2457102']

Stonewalled? No.

1336056381[/url]' post='2457143']

Thank you. On one leg and with one shoulder, Merriman actually played quite well last year, against the run, and the pass. It was a substantial decline when he went out and was not taking up two blockers or at least the attention of the opposition's OL and backfield.

Thanks for saving me some time.

I find it odd how BB thinks Merriman got stonewalled and then thinks Moats and Batten might be able to be effective. While I think Moats has an outside chance to make the team as a specialty pass rusher, I can't see batten ever playing DE in the 4-3 in the nfl. He's not good at anything. Imagine Danny Batten trying to set the edge (in which Merriman did quite well when he played last year)?

Edited by NewEra

serious... sarcasm...

1 -- The importance of a Left Tackle is highly exaggerated by fans and media. NFL coaches will often refer to "tackles" being important. Not just the left tackle. It wasn't until the mid 90's that the Left Tackle position became glorified and sought over exclusively. The LT is seen as more important because he protects the majority of QB's blindside, and as a result many of the better defensive athletes start their DE career at RDE (from college up to pro).

As far as skill set goes, a good LT is presumed to have good footwork. Their backpedal is smooth, their stance is wide but strong, and they are able to chop their feet and swivel their hips in an arc like motion while maintaining upper body strength and a strong platform with their legs. However, a good RT has much of the same attributes. A large arm span is also a notable attribute, as it is reasonable to assume that the larger your arm span, the longer your arms are. With the long arms and a strong upper body, you can "chuck" and keep the defender further away from your body and therefore further away from your QB.

2 -- Levitre's arm span is 32.5 inches.

3 -- N/A

4 -- OLB's is a 3-4 are glorified DE's. In fact, if you look at an ALL-22 field camera for a majority of 3-4 plays, you will notice that the OLB's are in nearly the same position and stance as a 4-3 DE.

5 -- A good backup player is a player with the skill set and drive to play at a level that is reasonably sufficient to the demands of the team for that particular position. A good backup does not have to play similarly in style or level to the starter. He simply has to play at a level that gives the team a reasonable chance to win a game without the starter in play.

1 -- The importance of a Left Tackle is highly exaggerated by fans and media. NFL coaches will often refer to "tackles" being important. Not just the left tackle. It wasn't until the mid 90's that the Left Tackle position became glorified and sought over exclusively. The LT is seen as more important because he protects the majority of QB's blindside, and as a result many of the better defensive athletes start their DE career at RDE (from college up to pro).

As far as skill set goes, a good LT is presumed to have good footwork. Their backpedal is smooth, their stance is wide but strong, and they are able to chop their feet and swivel their hips in an arc like motion while maintaining upper body strength and a strong platform with their legs. However, a good RT has much of the same attributes. A large arm span is also a notable attribute, as it is reasonable to assume that the larger your arm span, the longer your arms are. With the long arms and a strong upper body, you can "chuck" and keep the defender further away from your body and therefore further away from your QB.

3 -- N/A

4 -- OLB's is a 3-4 are glorified DE's. In fact, if you look at an ALL-22 field camera for a majority of 3-4 plays, you will notice that the OLB's are in nearly the same position and stance as a 4-3 DE.

5 -- A good backup player is a player with the skill set and drive to play at a level that is reasonably sufficient to the demands of the team for that particular position. A good backup does not have to play similarly in style or level to the starter. He simply has to play at a level that gives the team a reasonable chance to win a game without the starter in play.

Great post. I learned alot. Great thread also. Many of the questions I wondered about but never thought of asking.

3 -- N/A

Nice post. Thanks.

I'm still confused by the serious... sarcasm... sentence at the end.

Because my questions were serious...but there was a hint of sarcasm in there because i thought some of them were stupid and brought about by comments i had read on other threads