Who would you rather have at QB?

Penny. His recent head case would disappear here. Last year, there was no such talk about him - quite the contrary.

184314[/snapback]

Earlier in the year I would have said Pennington, and if this hypothetical situation were considering the future I would say so too.

In the here and now, it's Drew.

Right now...Drew.

Drew's arm strength might be the deciding factor. They were talking on sports radio down here yesterday about the one time last year that the Jets were on the opponents 45, and Pennington "heaved" a hail mary that ended up coming down around the 10. Drew can still stretch the field very nicely, while the golden boy is restricted to 20 - 30 yds downfield at best.

Right now which is all us fans care about the obvious choice is Bledsoe. However, it is this same addiction to the right now which we fans are addicted to which is exacerbated by human nature and American culture which caused many to want to throw Drew out immediately and claim contrary to the simple facts that this player who had QB'ed a team to the SB and played the majority of a must win game at QB had never won anywhere at any point in his pro career.

Overall, I'd take Pennington because he has demonstrated that he is capable of QBing a team to the playoffs, he has demonstated good leadership characteristics prior to his meltdown this year and despite a weaker arm has good football instincts (as shown when he left Robinson in the dust on a TD run against the Bills).

Like Bledsoe, Pennington is not perfect and has obvious failings, but like Bledsoe under Parcells who took his team to the SB and B who had Bledsoe play an essential role in their run to an SB win, the faults of most players can be worked around if you have developed a good team.

If I had a straight up choice between the two, I.d take the younger guy on the frontside of his catreer who has proven he can win over the older guy who has proven he can win who is on the backside of his career.

Pennington has always had arm strength problems. Corners just need to play tight and jump on the routes. It's just a matter of time before he's completely figured out and ends up on the weak-armed trash-heap with Danny Wuerffel.

So, Drew...

184326[/snapback]

Dunno...

A while back, I looked into vets with similar experience - DB, Farve, and Testaverde. All 3 had 40+ completions at a rate of about 2 and a half % of attempts.

A strong arm helps, but not as much as perception about what's going on. Certainly one could make a case for the threat of a long ball being benefical, though. But DB's arm has not won the big ones.

However, it is this same addiction to the right now which we fans are addicted to which is exacerbated by human nature and American culture which caused many to want to throw Drew out immediately and claim contrary to the simple facts that this player who had QB'ed a team to the SB and played the majority of a must win game at QB had never won anywhere at any point in his pro career.

184340[/snapback]

Fake.

I enjoy your posts.

But, that right there is a 76 word sentence.

I'd take Bledsoe for his arm and veteran leadership. However the same reasons that drew has been criticized in his career, I've noticed are the same weaknesses that pennington has. That Deer in Headlights look, Being flustered under pressure and knocked off the game plan. 2002 Pennington was new and exciting, teams couldn't stop him. Than he plays some games, goes into oakland gets sacked a bunch of times, and since than has been injury prone, and well not the same qb. The Biggest reason I'd take Drew Over Pennington Arm strength and durability. We could count on Drew to be there basically the whole season (much to the dismay of some) Pennington well not so much. Arm Strength because if we were down 21-7 especially in a place where it was cold/snowy/windy I'd rather have the guy who with one throw could get you back into the game.

Tough one. If not for Pennington's media problems the past few weeks,

I'd easily take him... but he scares me now.

The Jets are a collapse just waiting to happen. After the great 5-0 start, they barely beat Cleveland & Arizona on the road. Unfortunately, I trust Martz even less.

I've never been a big fan of Bledsoe but I'd have to say at this stage, Drew.

Pennington is a head case, and all things being equal these days I'd take Bledsoe's experience over Pennington's shakiness, anyday.  DB has a much better arm also, even before Pennington hurt his rotator cuff.

184300[/snapback]

NUT as a wise poster once told me. "Let sleeping dogs lie" We can fire up the debates after the Super Bowl! ;)

The Jets are a collapse just waiting to happen. After the great 5-0 start, they barely beat Cleveland & Arizona on the road. Unfortunately, I  trust Martz even less.

184366[/snapback]

So true on Martz. But, the good news is that Bulger had a start to get ready for this game. They are fighting for their lives on their home field. Bruce, Holt, Little and Marshall will show up. Plus, Abraham isn't playing.

The Rams have a shot. It's going to be a close game in my mind.

Drew, by a mile. There is something wrong with The Chads arm. His below average arm strength is now even worse ! Rotor Cuff maybe ? Plus The Chad is not doing too well in the PR dept. these days.

Bledsoe is Bledsoe with all his warts but he is hitting many key passes right now. Much bigger and more durable than The Chad.

Arm strength gets blown out of proportion. I'll take a guy that makes quick reads, gets rid of the ball quickly and is accurate over a strong arm any day. Pennington does all of those things better than Bledsoe. When healthy Pennington can make all the required throws, which is all I ask.

I'd take Pennington in a heartbeat over Drew if Pennington is healthy...which he's not right now. If his off-season shoulder surgery goes well and he recovers fully, it would be a no-brainer. Right now I'm not so sure, there's always the chance that he never recovers.

Long term there's nothing wrong with Pennington. He is not a head case-Parcells has treated the NY media far worse than Pennington & nobody ever called Parcells a head case.

Short term, Pennington has a sore arm that needs rest. He didn't have the strongest arm to begin with & the injury negates his cerebral approach to the game because what he could get away with at full strength he just can't physically do no matter how smart he is (and whether you want to admit it or not, he's damn smart).

So short term, right now I'd take Bledsoe. But if this was the offseason & both were free agents, priced the same & the same amount of years on the contract, I'd take Pennington.

So true on Martz. But, the good news is that Bulger had a start to get ready for this game. They are fighting for their lives on their home field. Bruce, Holt, Little and Marshall will show up. Plus, Abraham isn't playing.

The Rams have a shot. It's going to be a close game in my mind.

184381[/snapback]

I think it will be close too. I hope they can contain Martin.

It'd be great after 4:00 on Sunday if the Jets were the ones praying for Indy to win ;)