FWIW: Kiper's Draft Grades

Apologies if this has been posted already.

For those of you without Insider access, here's Kiper's list, in order. He graded by need and value -- then used an average of the two for his grades.

2. Bills: Needs C; Value B; Overall: B-
  3. Patriots: Needs A-; Value C; Overall: B-
  4. Dolphins: Needs B; Value D+; Overall: C
  5. Jets: Needs C; Value C+; Overall: C

Linky

For those of you without Insider access, here's Kiper's list, in order. He graded by need and value -- then used an average of the two for his grades.

1. Bills: Needs C; Value B; Overall: B-
  2. Patriots: Needs A-; Value C; Overall: B-
  3. Dolphins: Needs B; Value D+; Overall: C
  4. Jets: Needs C; Value C+; Overall: C

Linky

Well, I can't acces the Linky - need "insider" I guess - it's puzzling to me how he grades us a "C" for needs. It seems to me we were very tightly focused on needs and came away with good players who filled them.

WR being the biggest question mark. We also came away with one of the top CB and a possible-1st round OT in the 2nd which seems pretty strong on value.

The Pats, I think got better value than a C

I hope he's right about the 'Phins and the Jets

Edited by Hopeful

Linky

The team needed help at Tackle, WR, and Corner, Buddy drafts 2 of each T and LB and gets good depth elsewhere and he gives them a "C"?! It really amazes me that ESPN keeps putting that turd on the air. He sucks balls.

Edited by ACor58

Well, I can't acces the Linky - need "insider" I guess - it's puzzling to me how he grades us a "C" for needs. It seems to me we were very tightly focused on needs and came away with good players who filled them.

What a stupid grade for "needs." The Bills draft may have been the most focused on filling specific needs (as outlined by Buddy prior to the draft) as any team.

Obviously Mel didn't come up for air much to look at the Bills in his film study...

Linky

That's interesting. We had our biggest needs at T - WR - CB -LB and filled them all in spades, and he gives us a C in the needs dept.? Edited by BuffaloBob

That's interesting. We had our biggest needs at T - WR - CB -LB and filled them all in spades, and he gives us a C in the needs dept.?

It just shows what a joke this whole "grading a draft one day after it's over" is....

How did the Bills only get a C on addressing their needs? They have a starting QB in place so anybody else they picked would not supplant him, and all of the Bills other picks were pretty much exactly in order of our strength of need. No more CB need apparently. No more LB need (possibly). Traded up slightly to aquire the last quality WR that GM felt was on the board, so it was addressed. Completely addressed the OT need. Interior lineman given a pick. Short of trading up in the 4th and therefore not addressing another position later in the draft by losing the pick to trade up, for a player like Cousins, we addressed every major neeed and fortified another not urgent but in need of competition, Guard. We should be at least a B+ for needs, probably in the A's.

*Edit* hmm, apparently everyone else felt the same way I did, but I just happened to take 3 days typing my response haha

Edited by BuffalothruMyVeins

:ph34r: The only thing that matters to Kiper is his hair and his mouth.

The man has no relevence other than he turned a basement hobby into a very lucrative career.

If you follow his picks through the years you will see that his in-depth knowledge fails to match reality time after time.

When he grades a team he is grading them against the KIPER pre-draft insight. So teams that do not pick the way Mel wanted them to pick get lower grades and those foolish enough to buy into all of his picks get the higher grade.

Frankly, I am more interested in what sports writers have to say about our draft more than Kiper and no of it will matter until we get a few seasons from these picks.

The value part is only important to draftniks who rate players and fill out mock drafts based on their ratings. So, basically useless ratings. I mean, it's not like a team is awarded a Lombardi for having the best value players in the league.

What's important about the draft is how teams filled their needs with players who are good enough to make them holes turn into strengths.

Shoretalk said - - "When he grades a team he is grading them against the KIPER pre-draft insight. So teams that do not pick the way Mel wanted them to pick get lower grades and those foolish enough to buy into all of his picks get the higher grade."

I wholeheartedly agree.

I was watching when C. Glenn was drafted and Kiper said we needed a Tackle, not a Guard - so right there we received demerits because we didn't address our need (per Kiper).

When the NC State WR was taken, both Kiper & McShay had him as a 7th rounder - demerits vs value (per Kiper).

The problem with Kiper's evaluation is that is presumes his valuations are the standard by which all teams draft. If that were true (AND IT ISN'T) then he would have a point in his "Draft Grades".

I'd rather we go by the pros - Buddy CLEARLY and RATIONALLY explained what they did and why - this is why I love the guy and say - if Buddy says so - it is so. I drank his kool-aid shortly after he got the job. He doesn't presume to know more than the next guy and he explains himself freely - stopping short ONLY when his answer could compromise a competitive advantage.

Did the draft go perfectly - no - because there were 31 others taking talent we liked. But we were still able to address need positions and we got bigger and faster.

Now, just as we signed Nick Barnett, we wait for June when teams shed veterans for one reason or another and maybe we can addresss another need at that time.

I am very optimistic about the Bills. Undeniably, they are improving and trending in the right direction. We haven't been able to say that since the 90's!!

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

kiper used to be spot on. not any more,more worried about his hair and getting paid than actualy knowing who teams are drafting :thumbdown:

Like Marv used to say:

"Develop a reputation for being an early riser and you can sleep until noon..."

Perhaps Mr. Hair Gel ranks needs as HE sees them, not what the GM thinks. Maybe he thought we needed a new QB, TE, FS etc...

If he graded on meeting the needs stated as the objective by the GM, the Bills definitely rate an "A."

Mike

Shoretalk said - - "When he grades a team he is grading them against the KIPER pre-draft insight. So teams that do not pick the way Mel wanted them to pick get lower grades and those foolish enough to buy into all of his picks get the higher grade."

I wholeheartedly agree.

I was watching when C. Glenn was drafted and Kiper said we needed a Tackle, not a Guard - so right there we received demerits because we didn't address our need (per Kiper).

When the NC State WR was taken, both Kiper & McShay had him as a 7th rounder - demerits vs value (per Kiper).

The problem with Kiper's evaluation is that is presumes his valuations are the standard by which all teams draft. If that were true (AND IT ISN'T) then he would have a point in his "Draft Grades".

I'd rather we go by the pros - Buddy CLEARLY and RATIONALLY explained what they did and why - this is why I love the guy and say - if Buddy says so - it is so. I drank his kool-aid shortly after he got the job. He doesn't presume to know more than the next guy and he explains himself freely - stopping short ONLY when his answer could compromise a competitive advantage.

Did the draft go perfectly - no - because there were 31 others taking talent we liked. But we were still able to address need positions and we got bigger and faster.

Now, just as we signed Nick Barnett, we wait for June when teams shed veterans for one reason or another and maybe we can addresss another need at that time.

I am very optimistic about the Bills. Undeniably, they are improving and trending in the right direction. We haven't been able to say that since the 90's!!

Not defending the hairball's opinions but of course he based it on his grading. What else would you expect someone to do?

The team needed help at Tackle, WR, and Corner, Buddy drafts 2 of each T and LB and gets good depth elsewhere and he gives them a "C"?! It really amazes me that ESPN keeps putting that turd on the air. He sucks balls.

We drafted a WR, not sure it really counts as filling a need as we need a #2 receiver and we got a project with speed. According to Kiper Cordy Glenn is a guard. So in his hair gel enriched brain we filled a need at corner back and most of our other players are depth.

The needs grade of C is because he views Glenn as a guard I guess?

Top needs: LT, WR, OLB, CB, QB

I had the Bills selecting Stephon Gilmore in my final mock draft, and they ended up taking him. I didn't see CB as the top need, but it's a solid pick. Gilmore is ready to start immediately for a secondary that allowed 7.3 yards per pass attempt in 2011. The Bills pass defense should be better in 2012 when you put together an improved pass rush and the draft help in the secondary. Ron Brooks, a burner out of LSU, could stick as a slot cornerback. He lacks size, but can fly. I don't share the opinion that Cordy Glenn can be a left tackle, but he was a total steal at No. 41. He was on my final Big Board at No. 14. If the Bills move him inside (or to right tackle), he'll succeed. Zebrie Sanders was a steal in the sixth round. They got a wideout with T.J. Graham, as well as a pair of linebackers to bring in and battle for a spot. Pretty good weekend for Buddy Nix and the Bills.

Edited by QCity