Bob Chandler

nucci

I liked him quite a bit, too, nuch.

Additionally, he was one of the last pro athletes I remember that was regularily seen with a cigarette in his hand...sad.

I liked him quite a bit, too, nuch.

Additionally, he was one of the last pro athletes I remember that was regularily seen with a cigarette in his hand...sad.

I am not sure when the NFL banned players and/or coaches from smoking on the field, but I do remember, getting to a game early one Sunday in 1984, and head coach Kay Stephenson was puffing away watching warm-ups. I had never seen that beofore, though I know it was a common thing in the 60's and 70's.

One of my all time favorites! Always remember playing football as a kid and catching passes with the toe just in on the sidelines pretending to be Bobby Chandler.

I still remember one of his catches, which was highlight-reel material for years. It was on the sideline. He was stretched out, practically parallel to the ground, and somehow got both his feet down in bounds. It was amazing.

If I remember right that was against the St Louis Cardinals on Thanksgiving 1975. Totally stretched out. He was my favorite Bill

I am not sure when the NFL banned players and/or coaches from smoking on the field, but I do remember, getting to a game early one Sunday in 1984, and head coach Kay Stephenson was puffing away watching warm-ups. I had never seen that beofore, though I know it was a common thing in the 60's and 70's.

Fred Biletnikoff used to smoke on the bench. This might have been more common back then, but he's the one I remember doing it.

Fred Biletnikoff used to smoke on the bench. This might have been more common back then, but he's the one I remember doing it.

Figures, a Raider...come to think of it, I think I may have seen footage on one of the AFL anniversary specials of Biltenikoff smoking...Madden as well...what a different world we live in, huh?

I loved Chandler as a kid too...one of the saddest memeories I have of the whole OJ Simpson murder saga, was the footage of Chandler standing outside the gates of the crime scene, with others, being interviewed about his old friend. He seemed truly distraught over the whole thing. As I recall, that was right around the time Chandler was starting to battle lung cancer.

I don't remember ever seeing a player smoking on the bench or even a coach. I remember it being kind of jarring seeing a high school coach doing it.

I do remember them smoking in the locker room and seeing pictures, though.

Kareem used to say that he'd really try to run on Lanier after the half because he knew Lanier smoked at halftime.