Lavonte David OLB Nebraska

On SportsCenter today, Kiper and McShay were each asked to name a 2nd round pick with "1st round value." Kiper talked up David as a 43 OLB before McShay laughed and suggested that he had pegged David as a 1st round value before Kiper had, though they seemed to think he would last until early 2nd round.

He's listed as either 6'0 or 6'1, 225 lbs. but Kiper said he's now around 233. Sounds like a guy who knows how to get to the ballcarrier and set the edge and is also good in man coverage. Sounds like his size makes it tough to shed blocks.

Here's a scouting report from buffalobillsdraft.com (a very cool site).

LB Lavonte David-Nebraska

Height: 6’0

Weight: 225 lbs.

Grade: 7.1 H

Projection: Round 2

Strengths:

Is an explosive LB who does a good job playing bigger than his listed size…hits like a Mac truck in the open field…looks extremely fluid and athletic in the open field…does a good job staying with RB’s and TE’s when in coverage…very instinctive, he does an excellent job or reading the play both pre and post snap to figure what’s going to happen, where, and how to attack it…uses his size and speed to his advantage in the open field often beating blockers to the spot and making plays…will slip through tiny holes in the offensive line on his blitz…smart player who understands how to use angles to his advantage…rarely will be caught over pursuing.

Weaknesses:

His size will hurt him in some teams eyes…he struggles to disengage from blocks…there are questions about his ability to step out and cover TE’s in the slot…limited by his frame from adding much more size…can be knocked off the play by blocks…his footwork is a work in progress at times he can get his feet caught up underneath him…was an effective blitzer in college but his size may limit that ability in the NFL…likely to be stuck working in a Cover 2 43 system only.

And here's another writeup with combine numbers (link).

2012 NFL Combine Results

40-Yard Dash 4.65

Bench press 19

Vertical jump 36.5

Broad jump 9'11

20-yard shuttle 4.22

60-yard shuttle 7.28

There are few weakside 4-3 linebacker prospects who find themselves pushing for first-round consideration, but with the right fit, David would make an excellent pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

He's won numerous awards in his career, ranging from first and second-team All American and even the Huskers' team defensive MVP last year. David's ability to seal the edge and excel in man-to-man coverage make him an exciting linebacker in college football. Most prospects really do well playing downhill and getting after the quarterback or can dominate when it comes to sheer athleticism, but David is already a solid contributor who can come in with little preparation and potentially start right away.

David doesn't show a lot of flash as a pass rusher at this time. Due to his average height and weight, he struggles disengaging from offensive linemen or having the top-end speed to break the corner on a blitz. What he can do is use his fluid hips in open space to keep an eye on tight ends over the middle and running backs in the flat. He's a sound tackler who rarely overplays and does well to play within his assignment.

Due to his good, but not great athleticism, some teams may opt to take the player who could potentially develop better all-around skills which will ultimately hurt his draft value slightly.

Thoughts? He seems like a potential fit for Wannstedt's D from where I sit.

Been saying David would be a great pick in the 2nd round for a while now BUT I think if we go Gilmore in the 1st like I feel Nix has hinted we will then we are most likely going OT in 2nd. Hopefully we trade down a bit in the first and pick up a 2nd so we can fill CB(Gilmore)/OT(Massie/Martin/Glenn)/LB(David) positions in the first 2 rounds...

On SportsCenter today, Kiper and McShay were each asked to name a 2nd round pick with "1st round value." Kiper talked up David as a 43 OLB before McShay laughed and suggested that he had pegged David as a 1st round value before Kiper had, though they seemed to think he would last until early 2nd round.

He's listed as either 6'0 or 6'1, 225 lbs. but Kiper said he's now around 233. Sounds like a guy who knows how to get to the ballcarrier and set the edge and is also good in man coverage. Sounds like his size makes it tough to shed blocks.

Here's a scouting report from buffalobillsdraft.com (a very cool site).

And here's another writeup with combine numbers (link).

Thoughts? He seems like a potential fit for Wannstedt's D from where I sit.

Would love to have david but also wouldn't mind Bobby Wagner who did this at his pro day:

Wagner was voted the Most Outstanding Player on the North squad during the Senior Bowl with seven tackles, one for a loss and an interception and is graded as a solid second-round draft prospect.

"The 6-foot, 241-pounder made an excellent recovery from a bout with pneumonia that required hospitalization and prevented him from participating in the NFL scouting combine.

Wagner ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 and 4.47 seconds at his campus Pro Day workout where he also had a 39 1/2 inch vertical leap and an 11-foot broad jump.

He bench pressed 25 pounds 24 times, also registering a 7.09 in the three-cone drill and an 11.72 in the 60-yard shuttle.

The Eagles, Ravens and St. Louis Rams all sent linebackers coaches to Wagner's Pro Day.

Wagner recorded a career-high 147 tackles as a senior with four sacks and two interceptions.

Wagner has started at all three linebacker positions and is known as an aggressive tackler who's relentless and athletic in pursuit.

He had 20 tackles in one game against Louisiana Tech and 18 tackles against Colorado State.

Wagner finished his career with 446 tackles, 4 1/2 sacks, 29 1/2 tackles for losses, three fumble recoveries and four interceptions."

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1177556&nid=6101791&fhn=1

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

As a Nebraska fan, I may be a bit biased, but there isn't a guy I'd rather have over David in round 2 (except MAYBE Rueben randle, but I think he'll be gone in round 1). He's all over the field, a great tackler, solid in coverage and fits perfectly into our system. He'd become a fan favorite. Let's hope he's there in round 2. If we don't pick him and he's available, it'll hurt

As a Nebraska fan, I may be a bit biased, but there isn't a guy I'd rather have over David in round 2 (except MAYBE Rueben randle, but I think he'll be gone in round 1). He's all over the field, a great tackler, solid in coverage and fits perfectly into our system. He'd become a fan favorite. Let's hope he's there in round 2. If we don't pick him and he's available, it'll hurt

So, is he a better fit for the defense than Wagner?

Totally agree with you on David and Randle being one of the only players i'd want over him...David is a great all around LB who is awesome in pass coverage as well

Totally agree with you on David and Randle being one of the only players i'd want over him...David is a great all around LB who is awesome in pass coverage as well

Wanny is known to blitz every now and then. Can David do it?

Great, great football player.

That scouting report was pretty fair. It said that he had trouble disengaging from blocks but should have restated that he's almost never blocked.

This guy weaves through traffic and fakes out blockers constantly.

It's really an amazing thing.

I thought Mason Foster did some of the same things last year but he's nowhere near as good as David, IMO.

This guy would be a weapon and I think he would create all sorts of havoc.

Lavonte David is my favorite 4-3 OLB prospect in this entire draft. Nix and Whaley were actually asked about David in their last presser and Whaley spoke very highly of him. Nix also seemed to be okay with his size too. The bottom line is David could both stuff the run and stay on the field on 3rd down and cover guys like Gronkowski, Hernandez, Keller and Fasano.

I think David goes in the top 40 so the Bills would likely have to move up slightly in the 2nd to get him. I don't think there is a prospect I'd be more excited to see the Bills get then Lavonte David. If he gets in the right system people will look back at this draft 4though years from now and wonder why teams didn't jump on this guy a lot earlier in the draft.

Ill get flamed for it now, but I think he'll be a better pro than Kuechly. He is a much better blitzer and also better in coverage than Kuechly.......he may be just as good in run support as well. I may be the only one with that opinion.....but Im sticking to it.

Lavonte David is my favorite 4-3 OLB prospect in this entire draft. Nix and Whaley were actually asked about David in their last presser and Whaley spoke very highly of him. Nix also seemed to be okay with his size too. The bottom line is David could both stuff the run and stay on the field on 3rd down and cover guys like Gronkowski, Hernandez, Keller and Fasano.

I think David goes in the top 40 so the Bills would likely have to move up slightly in the 2nd to get him. I don't think there is a prospect I'd be more excited to see the Bills get then Lavonte David. If he gets in the right system people will look back at this draft 4though years from now and wonder why teams didn't jump on this guy a lot earlier in the draft.

Ill get flamed for it now, but I think he'll be a better pro than Kuechly. He is a much better blitzer and also better in coverage than Kuechly.......he may be just as good in run support as well. I may be the only one with that opinion.....but Im sticking to it.

I'm with you.

I've been much more impressed with the video of David than that of Kuechly.

What about Crick?

1334998862[/url]' post='2442239']

What about Crick?

I like Crick. Not nearly as much as David. I think he's a solid player but most likely, will have a similar career to Chris Kelsey. I could be wrong (obv). I'll pass in round 2. He's a "high motor" guy with some skills.

For him too be our second rounder we would need to select Rieff in the first

I dnt see us going keuchly in the first David in the second

Zach brown might also last to our pick in the second so he might be the one

I wouldn't be shocked to see Gilmore in the 1st, LB in the 2nd and a tackle in the 3rd or 4th.

youtube.com/watch?v=2U8o_m7aBqI

Id like to see what he does behind our DLine.

Geez..I wasn't too impressed with that clip. He seemed more like a jumbo package SS than a LB. Not much take on strength (only 19 reps at the combine, 227 pounds at his pro day) and a frame that's maxed out (short arms, small hands).

I guess I'll look for a better set of highlights or game film on him...

Geez..I wasn't too impressed with that clip. He seemed more like a jumbo package SS than a LB. Not much take on strength (only 19 reps at the combine, 227 pounds at his pro day) and a frame that's maxed out (short arms, small hands).

I guess I'll look for a better set of highlights or game film on him...

Yeah, I dont like posting pure "highlight" reels because they dont tell the whole story. Almost every player is going to have plays that they look bad on. It's determining just how bad that really matters. IMO, there isnt a play there that would turn me off from picking him.

In the 43, the OLBs lean towards that big SS build, as they will be asked to cover TEs and count on the DL and MLB to be the run stuffers. That's not to say David cant help with the run, he definitely can. But we're not looking for those LBs that lean towards DE. He's also the same size as Nick Barnett.

Here's another game's worth of clips, good and bad. Keep an eye out for athleticism and a base for our coaches to build off of. Remember, we're talking about a 2nd round player. He's not perfect. But I think something is there, jmo...

Edited by DrDareustein