2012 Draft

Now I know most fans will say that the signing of Mario Williams will define this regime. I just don't think it will, and here is why.

I look at this team for the past 2 years under Nix / Gailey and see they failed to build a decent defense along with virtually no pass rush, and at this point they became desperate to fix both problems. They must have realized there was no dominate pass rusher in this years draft. So they went and got the best one they could find in free agency. Kudo's to them for finally fixing a problem that has plagued this franchise since Aaron Schobel was injured in 2009. Because not trusting in just one player they went and got another pass rusher in Mark Anderson. Finally fixed :worthy:

Now, after listening to Michael Lombardi on NFL network, he thinks the Bills will go defense or WR with the #10 pick this year. The thinking is either LB Luke Kuechly or WR Michael Floyd. But, I would think everything will depend on what players fall to the Bills at the 10 spot. If Justin Blackmon or Melvin Ingram, Matt Kalil, Morris Claiborne or even Trent Richardson fall to the #10, it could be any of those.

It could be Fletcher Cox to help in the DT rotation. It could be a corner. It could be a LB because for the love of god.... the Bills have been worse at stopping the run the last 6 years then they were rushing the passer....if you can believe that! They were so bad in 2010 they set a franchise record for being the worst run defense in the 50 year history of the team. That is a pretty unbelievable statement that nobody at OBD really takes to heart or they would have tabbed LBers in free agency...oh wait, what top LBers were in this years free agent class?

If its WR Michael Floyd, I just don't get the attraction.I honestly don't get the love for Floyd. The kid has some issues and baggage. Can he get off press? He gets moved and rerouted a lot off the line. Watching both Blackmon vs Floyd against Stanford. Floyd had 8 catches for 92 yards and one TD. Blackmon had 8 catches for 182 and 3 TD's. Floyd against top 25 teams this past year, one TD and 23 catches in 4 games is really abysmal. I'd take Kendal Wright over Floyd, he doesn't have the height that Floyd does but he has more big play potential IMO. But hey! what do I know.

Now the thinking just might be that one WR is just not enough, and that opposing teams can easily cover one WR. So with two top WR's it will make it more difficult to cover both. Well that aspect really works best when you have 3 good WR's and a good TE, it makes it almost impossible to cover 4 receivers well. In my view the Bills currently have one good proven WR. They let slot WR Roscoe Parrish leave in free agency. ( which btw might prove to be a mistake) . The Bills have a ton of WR's on the roster but only one proven top WR in Stevie Johnson.

Now, last season when Gailey benched Stevie Johnson in that Patriot game an unknown WR by the name of Derek Hagan stepped up and had 7 receptions for 89 yards, and led the team in receiving that week. So, if Fitz doesn't have his "go to" guy on the field in Johnson will he simply find a different "go to"guy?

Now for the real part of this thread.

What will define this regime is what they do on the offensive side this year, and not at WR with the #10 pick. What good is an outside tall WR when the QB doesn't have the time to get him the ball? Ask Trent Edwards and TO.

Simply look what happened to this team last year when they started getting injuries on the O line. First Bell went out at LT, then Hairston the rookie LT went out with an injury. G Andy Levitre stepped in at LT. But when starting center Eric Wood went on IR the crap really hit the proverbial fan. Does anyone else recall how bad the Bills were against the Dolphins in week 11, they couldn't even get a decent snap off . The Bills tried 3-4 guys at center and finally got a bit of stability when Urbik took over. The line was a mess for the second half of the year and it really caused this team to miss a chance at a winning season.

The Bills got by most of last year with a quick, short passing attack. But having a one dimensional offensive passing scheme isn't going to get you to a winning season unless you have Joe Montana at QB. Even Joe M might not survive in this Bills scheme when Fitz gets the ball out in under 1.5 seconds and he still gets whacked a lot. Fitz playing the rest of last season with broken / cracked ribs after that Redskins game in week 8. Then Eric Wood went on IR after week 9. The Fred Jackson went on IR after week 10. As bad as the defense was last year, it was the offense crapping the bed that killed the team.

Adding talent and depth at center-OT and guard could help this team become more then a one dimensional passing offense. This is the second year that center Eric Wood end the year on IR. The man might be the best player on that line, but what good is he on IR after 9 games? The Bills need to give Fitz the time and protection in the pocket to throw more then just quick, short passes. Is this the year this regime throws Fitz under the bus by not building that line properly....again? A top ten defense and good running game can't hide that limited passing offense for very long, and when it fails to produce all eyes will fall on the QB. Tyler Thigpin and Brad Smith are not the answer at QB either.

This year the Bills need to add talent and depth to that O line OT-C. They need to find a top TE that can stay healthy all year. They need to find another outside WR to complement Johnson and they need to find a good slot WR. They need to get Fitz some serious help all around him.

What will define this years team is what this GM & HC do for the offense in the draft this year. Not adding talent and depth after letting starting LT Bell leave in free agency could result in another disastrous season JMHO

I think last year's draft may well go to define this regime on the defensive side and 2012's draft will define the regime on the offensive side. Dareus, A. Williams, Shepherd I can see staring this year. Here's hoping we pick up three offensive starters this year. Perhaps OT, WR, slot WR?

There's many ways to build a team. You get the best players available. Guys that will produce and help the team win. If we draft a LT that they don't have rated as high as a WR, LB or Cb, it's a mistake IMO. The niners passing game had its limits this season, but with a dominant defense, they were able to be successful. The pats defense sucked, but they were able to succeed with a great passing game. The giants running game sucked, but their pass rush and passing game was great. We have to add productive players, regardless of position. I'd be happy if we drafted fetcher cox. Not a position of "need", but I think he'll be a great player. Floyd, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, kuechly are guys I think will be good in the nfl. If chix has them rated higher than a Lt, they should be the choice. There's always round 2-7 to add OL depth

The drafts? No.

Records will.

So far we are 4-12 and 6-10. Who cares if we drafted good players if we are losing? I couldn't care less who we draft, as long as we get a damned winning record, and hopefully playoffs/superbowl.

Basically.. we have too many holes to fill in just 1 draft. We still need OT, WR, LB, CB, TE, QB. We arent going to get a quality player at every position in this draft. Hopefully we can get 2 or 3 and have less positions of need next year.

I think as of this moment this regime is defined by a six win season. If they don't win this year, I think this regime will be pretty well over.

I disagree if by regime you say Buddy Nix and his newly assembled scouting staff. Gailey could be in trouble with a very bad season but if he wins 6 games or more they will keep their jobs. This is Ralph's last regime in this life time.

Basically.. we have too many holes to fill in just 1 draft. We still need OT, WR, LB, CB, TE, QB. We arent going to get a quality player at every position in this draft. Hopefully we can get 2 or 3 and have less positions of need next year.

Thankfully, Billsrhody, the difference between this year and the prior two is that none of those needs are for immediate starters unless you absolutely hit a home run and find a stud -- they're all for depth, competition, or development. Huge difference. The Bills could enter the 2012 season today with a complete, competent, starting lineup. Yes, WR is arguable, but there are a lot of receivers on this roster; somebody should/will step up.

If it defines me, I am considering the DT's from Penn State or LSU as my first round pick (increase your strength, the DL) and the LB from NC as my second round pick. After that, we can concentrate on WR and hope Hairston holds up at LT for this year.

The first round pick is looking more and more like Riley Reiff LT or Stephen Gilmore CB. Gilmore would be an inspired pick in my mind since after this season we'll have very two CBs under contract and McGee who is 87 years old and injury-prone. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted CB in the first round this year and next. This assumes that manna doesn't drop from heaven in the form of Blackmon, Claibourne, Kalil, or Richardson (draft-trade, no keepie).

Drafting Floyd makes no sense to me at all given the depth of the position in this year's draft. Kuechly wouldn't be a bad pick, but we have bigger holes to fill.

Round 2 looks like Bobby Wagner OLB Utah State or maybe Coby Fleener TE Stanford if he's still on the board.

Round 3 is interesting. Could go back to CB with Coryell Judie Texas A&M who has the height and frame, or Brandon Boykin who is shorter and less built but is a classic Chan Gailey player since he played multiple positions in college. They conceivably might also reach for Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State.

Round 4 Matt McCants LT UAB

Round 4 Joe Adams WR Arkansas

Round 5 Jarius Wright WR Arkansas

Round 5 Jaye Howard DT Florida

Nix is out after this year anyway, so there will be a minor regime change in that sense. Gailey needs to come through this year or next.

[picks based on 4/20 DraftTek]

The first round pick is looking more and more like Riley Reiff LT or Stephen Gilmore CB. Gilmore would be an inspired pick in my mind since after this season we'll have very two CBs under contract and McGee who is 87 years old and injury-prone. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted CB in the first round this year and next. This assumes that manna doesn't drop from heaven in the form of Blackmon, Claibourne, Kalil, or Richardson (draft-trade, no keepie).

Drafting Floyd makes no sense to me at all given the depth of the position in this year's draft. Kuechly wouldn't be a bad pick, but we have bigger holes to fill.

Round 2 looks like Bobby Wagner OLB Utah State or maybe Coby Fleener TE Stanford if he's still on the board.

Round 3 is interesting. Could go back to CB with Coryell Judie Texas A&M who has the height and frame, or Brandon Boykin who is shorter and less built but is a classic Chan Gailey player since he played multiple positions in college. They conceivably might also reach for Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State.

Round 4 Matt McCants LT UAB

Round 4 Joe Adams WR Arkansas

Round 5 Jarius Wright WR Arkansas

Round 5 Jaye Howard DT Florida

Nix is out after this year anyway, so there will be a minor regime change in that sense. Gailey needs to come through this year or next.

[picks based on 4/20 DraftTek]

You don't like or recall the CB we drafted last year? He's not "under contract"?

Now I know most fans will say that the signing of Mario Williams will define this regime. I just don't think it will, and here is why.

I look at this team for the past 2 years under Nix / Gailey and see they failed to build a decent defense along wweeksith virtually no pass rush, and at this point they became desperate to fix both problems. They must have realized there was no dominate pass rusher in this years draft. So they went and got the best one they could find in free agency. Kudo's to them for finally fixing a problem that has plagued this franchise since Aaron Schobel was injured in 2009. Because not trusting in just one player they went and got another pass rusher in Mark Anderson. Finally fixed :worthy:

Now, after listening to Michael Lombardi on NFL network, he thinks the Bills will go defense or WR with the #10 pick this year. The thinking is either LB Luke Kuechly or WR Michael Floyd. But, I would think everything will depend on what players fall to the Bills at the 10 spot. If Justin Blackmon or Melvin Ingram, Matt Kalil, Morris Claiborne or even Trent Richardson fall to the #10, it could be any of those.

It could be Fletcher Cox to help in the DT rotation. It could be a corner. It could be a LB because for the love of god.... the Bills have been worse at stopping the run the last 6 years then they were rushing the passer....if you can believe that! They were so bad in 2010 they set a franchise record for being the worst run defense in the 50 year history of the team. That is a pretty unbelievable statement that nobody at OBD really takes to heart or they would have tabbed LBers in free agency...oh wait, what top LBers were in this years free agent class?

If its WR Michael Floyd, I just don't get the attraction.I honestly don't get the love for Floyd. The kid has some issues and baggage. Can he get off press? He gets moved and rerouted a lot off the line. Watching both Blackmon vs Floyd against Stanford. Floyd had 8 catches for 92 yards and one TD. Blackmon had 8 catches for 182 and 3 TD's. Floyd against top 25 teams this past year, one TD and 23 catches in 4 games is really abysmal. I'd take Kendal Wright over Floyd, he doesn't have the height that Floyd does but he has more big play potential IMO. But hey! what do I know.

Now the thinking just might be that one WR is just not enough, and that opposing teams can easily cover one WR. So with two top WR's it will make it more difficult to cover both. Well that aspect really works best when you have 3 good WR's and a good TE, it makes it almost impossible to cover 4 receivers well. In my view the Bills currently have one good proven WR. They let slot WR Roscoe Parrish leave in free agency. ( which btw might prove to be a mistake) . The Bills have a ton of WR's on the roster but only one proven top WR in Stevie Johnson.

Now, last season when Gailey benched Stevie Johnson in that Patriot game an unknown WR by the name of Derek Hagan stepped up and had 7 receptions for 89 yards, and led the team in receiving that week. So, if Fitz doesn't have his "go to" guy on the field in Johnson will he simply find a different "go to"guy?

What will define this regime is what they do on the offensive side this year, and not at WR with the #10 pick. What good is an outside tall WR when the QB doesn't have the time to get him the ball? Ask Trent Edwards and TO.

Simply look what happened to this team last year when they started getting injuries on the O line. First Bell went out at LT, then Hairston the rookie LT went out with an injury. G Andy Levitre stepped in at LT. But when starting center Eric Wood went on IR the crap really hit the proverbial fan. Does anyone else recall how bad the Bills were against the Dolphins in week 11, they couldn't even get a decent snap off . The Bills tried 3-4 guys at center and finally got a bit of stability when Urbik took over. The line was a mess for the second half of the year and it really caused this team to miss a chance at a winning season.

The Bills got by most of last year with a quick, short passing attack. But having a one dimensional offensive passing scheme isn't going to get you to a winning season unless you have Joe Montana at QB. Even Joe M might not survive in this Bills scheme when Fitz gets the ball out in under 1.5 seconds and he still gets whacked a lot. Fitz playing the rest of last season with broken / cracked ribs after that Redskins game in week 8. Then Eric Wood went on IR after week 9. The Fred Jackson went on IR after week 10. As bad as the defense was last year, it was the offense crapping the bed that killed the team.

Adding talent and depth at center-OT and guard could help this team become more then a one dimensional passing offense. This is the second year that center Eric Wood end the year on IR. The man might be the best player on that line, but what good is he on IR after 9 games? The Bills need to give Fitz the time and protection in the pocket to throw more then just quick, short passes. Is this the year this regime throws Fitz under the bus by not building that line properly....again? A top ten defense and good running game can't hide that limited passing offense for very long, and when it fails to produce all eyes will fall on the QB. Tyler Thigpin and Brad Smith are not the answer at QB either.

This year the Bills need to add talent and depth to that O line OT-C. They need to find a top TE that can stay healthy all year. They need to find another outside WR to complement Johnson and they need to find a good slot WR. They need to get Fitz some serious help all around him.

What will define this years team is what this GM & HC do for the offense in the draft this year. Not adding talent and depth after letting starting LT Bell leave in free agency could result in another disastrous season JMHO

I may be new here... And you have a lot of good points... At this point though the need for tight end on this team is not a priority... If they felt it was I feel they would have made a move for One in free agency... On the topic of slot Wr... I have to really disagree with that... We do need a number two reciever that's for sure... But we have a slot receiver much better then Parrish... That's David Nelson... He may be the best receiver on the team when it comes to third down and long

Didn't Buddy say this was a 3-year rebuilding project? If so, then, yes, this draft will define his regime. The expectations this year, especially after our FA signings, are much higher than they have been in over a decade.

I look at this team for the past 2 years under Nix / Gailey and see they failed to build a decent defense along with virtually no pass rush, and at this point they became desperate to fix both problems. They must have realized there was no dominate pass rusher in this years draft. So they went and got the best one they could find in free agency. Kudo's to them for finally fixing a problem that has plagued this franchise since Aaron Schobel was injured in 2009. Because not trusting in just one player they went and got another pass rusher in Mark Anderson. Finally fixed :worthy:

Aaron Schobel? oi vay

I think what will define this regime is pretty simple -- it's the results on the field. You may be trying to make it a bit too complicated.

Well, this.

Though for me, I do feel the 2012 draft is defining, not for all these complex "who they gonna pick?" reasons.

I gave Chix and Nailey a pass on 2010 'cuz they'd just come on board and had basically no choice but to use Modrak's board.

When they saw how non-contributory those players were in 2011, they planned to give Modrak the boot after the draft, and they relied heavily on Chan's Sr Bowl to modify Modrak's board with good results.

That's non-sustainable: Chan doesn't get to coach the Sr bowl every year. So to me the 2012 draft is defining, because it's undeniably a Chix/Nailey draft. Their guys in the player development and scouting seats.

Their board 100%. If it's a good draft with several immediate contributors, like last year, the team will be on the right road to recovery because we're able to evaluate talent and draft well.

If it's a poor draft with OTs who can't see the field and get cut like Ed Wang and Calloway, "project" DEs we're trying to convert to linebackers, a 1 yr wonder WR with a gift for IR, and a DT with a bad back, we're still in trouble.

Wins on the field this year is what will define this regime. They've had 3 yrs now to work their magic. Significant results, like a playoff appearance, double-digit wins at least need to be made.

By the way, with a "playoff appearance" I wasn't implying that I'd be happy with a "one and done" record.

Wins on the field and lots of them defines any regime.

If it defines me, I am considering the DT's from Penn State or LSU as my first round pick (increase your strength, the DL) and the LB from NC as my second round pick. After that, we can concentrate on WR and hope Hairston holds up at LT for this year.

I agree with you on increasing the strength & depth of the lines. But, Buddy only drafts players from the South. Brockers-LSU is the pick..

I disagree if by regime you say Buddy Nix and his newly assembled scouting staff. Gailey could be in trouble with a very bad season but if he wins 6 games or more they will keep their jobs. This is Ralph's last regime in this life time.

I agree with this except for the part about Chan's job being safe even if we finish 6-10. Aside from that, Buddy will be our GM until HE decides he doesn't want to anymore. The guy knows his damn football plain and simple. I was definitely one of those guys that had my hand over my face when I heard Spiller's name called in his first year as GM in the draft. But turns out Spiller is not too shabby. The speed that guy has once he hits the open field is unbelievable. He looks quicker than Adrian Peterson if you ask me.

Last year's draft was one of the best we've had in years which led people (including me) to, sit back and do research on what players we would like to draft but at the end of the day, let Buddy do his job and say "In Buddy I trust". Chan on the other hand is a toss up. He can be on the hot seat not just by a losing record but by play calling. He needs a true offensive coordinator by his side. This guy Modkins IMO is not the right guy for the job. Maybe Chan hired him to look pretty on the sidelines or something I don't know. But if we had an offensive guru type next to Chan and have him also call a couple plays, this offense will be better and also save Chan's job. As a human being I love Chan. The guy has emotion on the field (unlike cryptkeeper Jauron who would clap at every damn thing and Kevin Coster who just had his shades on and looked cool). I also love Chan's honesty. The guy couldn't hide how he felt about a situation even if he wanted to. He tells the media what's what and who's who and why.

Now of course Chan wouldn't be the only one to blame because of the weapons he has to work with which is where Buddy's job comes in to question. The reason why I believe Buddy is safe is because of the draft last year and free agency this year. Those two alone earned him an extra year. Now if we draft as good this year as we did last year? Man, the Bills will be headed towards greatness (My opinion of course).

As for the draft I'm just simply in love with Ingram. I don't care that he doesn't fit a 4-3 scheme or whatever it is the experts say. The guy is a machine. If Ingram is off the board when we pick, then I honestly don't care who we draft whether it be Floyd (who I also love), DeCastro, Luchely, Kirkpatrick. I just don't care. Just as long as it's not an offensive tackle. I just don't believe that there is a as Buddy said, "a pro bowl caliber tackle" in this draft in the 1st round except for Kalil (also my opinion). That's where I say either draft Ingram or sit back and enjoy the show and let Buddy do what it do.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz