Defense, Defense, Defense and more Defense

The Draft is only 2 weeks away. I know many knowledgeable people on this board want a LT, or WR as there #1 pick. I for one do not understand this. Buffalos offense last year was not that bad and statistically they were middle of the road. But on defense they were historically bad. On defense I have faith in 5 players. Williams x2, Dareus Barnett, and Bird. I have hope for Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard, Justin Rogers, Martin Anderson and Kellen Heard. Beyond these names the cover is bare on defense. I have no hope in Merriman, Kelsay, Wilson, Edwards, Moats, Battan, White, Mcgee, Florence. I left Leodis out intentionally if Buffalo lets him he will be the AFC represenative in the pro bowl for special teams next year (just my opinion). Some of these players have been here for years and are proven loosers. It is time to add real talent to the defense (i.e. Mario Williams). This is why I think that when it is Buffalo turn to pick in each round. They should look at who is the highest rated defensive player on the board and pick him. With that being said. I would like to predict that Buffalo picks Luke Kuechly at #10 when they pick.

Buffalo has some real talent on offense Fred, CJ, Andy Levitre, S. Johnson.

The Draft is only 2 weeks away. I know many knowledgeable people on this board want a LT, or WR as there #1 pick. I for one do not understand this. Buffalos offense last year was not that bad and statistically they were middle of the road. But on defense they were historically bad. On defense I have faith in 5 players. Williams x2, Dareus Barnett, and Bird. I have hope for Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard, Justin Rogers, Martin Anderson and Kellen Heard. Beyond these names the cover is bare on defense. I have no hope in Merriman, Kelsay, Wilson, Edwards, Moats, Battan, White, Mcgee, Florence. I left Leodis out intentionally if Buffalo lets him he will be the AFC represenative in the pro bowl for special teams next year (just my opinion). Some of these players have been here for years and are proven loosers. It is time to add real talent to the defense (i.e. Mario Williams). This is why I think that when it is Buffalo turn to pick in each round. They should look at who is the highest rated defensive player on the board and pick him. With that being said. I would like to predict that Buffalo picks Luke Kuechly at #10 when they pick.

I totally agree. Injuries hurt our defense last year, so you can never have enough depth. I would grab Coples if he is there, the reason he took plays off is that he was learning a new system last year. Don't be fooled, Mr. Nix will only draft players from the SEC, ACC he likes players from the south..Even Poe or Upshaw, I prefer Upshaw because of his size. I know that if they can grab Cordy Glenn, Nix will snatch him also..I dont see him drafting anyone from Iowa, it goes against Mr. Nix's theory. Re-Read this note in two weeks.

Did you really say you don't trust George Wilson? Oh my. Justify this please.

EXACTLY! Wilson is the heart and soul of this team. We need to draft another 3 or 4 of him. With that being said I agree with most of what the OP said, draft a lot but not all defense. It's real tempting to go after an appealing offensive player (WR, LT) but we need better defense

before we need better offense. I have complete confidence in Buddy Nix & Co. He knows what we need and he knows what he

is doing. 'Nuff said.

Go Bills!

Edited by Tipster19

He did say that, and he has faith in "Martin" Anderson, whoever that is. Pretty easy to disregard his whole screed based on those two gems alone.

The reason, OP, that many are talking about a left tackle is because we just lost our starting LT in free agency. The reason people are discussing a WR at 10 is because we only have one proven player at that position. Both valid reasons. I hope that clears it up.

And while the defense was a big problem last year, Buffalo made two huge free agent additions to try to ameliorate that. Kuechly would be a good pick, for sure. But don't completely dismiss and ignore the pressing needs on the other side of the ball just to support your preference.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

I am not perfect, this is for sure. I vasalated on George Wilson, I really did. I know he plays harder than almost anyone on that team. In the sake of argument George Wilson was an undrafted wide receiver when he entered the league. He is a good enough athlete to make the conversion. But is he a truly talented safety. I know he was rated highly last year in post season publications. If you want to put George Wilson on the list of viable players on Buffalo defense you have a good argument. But I am looking for true talent at the position

He did say that, and he has faith in "Martin" Anderson, whoever that is. Pretty easy to disregard his whole screed on those two gems alone.

Sorry for having the incorrect first name. I am sorry for this. I did not say I had faith in Martin Anderson. I said I had Hope. Correct name is Mark Anderson. I stand by my comments about George Wilson.

EXACTLY! Wilson is the heart and soul of this team. We need to draft another 3 or 4 of him. With that being said I agree with most of what the OP said, draft a lot but not all defense. It's real tempting to go after an appealing offensive player (WR, LT) but we need better defense

before we need better offense. I have complete confidence in Buddy Nix & Co. He knows what we need and he knows what he

is doing. 'Nuff said.

Go Bills!

He was never drafted to play defense in the first place. I am not sure but I do not think he was drafted at all. If you think that any player on this team is the Heart and Soul look no further than Fred Jackson. (I know he was never drafted either).

I am not perfect, this is for sure. I vasalated on George Wilson, I really did. I know he plays harder than almost anyone on that team. In the sake of argument George Wilson was an undrafted wide receiver when he entered the league. He is a good enough athlete to make the conversion. But is he a truly talented safety. I know he was rated highly last year in post season publications. If you want to put George Wilson on the list of viable players on Buffalo defense you have a good argument. But I am looking for true talent at the position

Sorry for having the incorrect first name. I am sorry for this. I did not say I had faith in Martin Anderson. I said I had Hope. Correct name is Mark Anderson. I stand by my comments about George Wilson.

I think most would say yes, he is a talented safety. His conversion from WR makes that even more impressive. He plays with more awareness than Whitner ever did and blows far fewer plays, even though Whitner probably possesses more of this "true talent" you speak of. Buffalo also just drafted a young talented SS in Searcy, in case you forgot.

The Draft is only 2 weeks away. I know many knowledgeable people on this board want a LT, or WR as there #1 pick. I for one do not understand this. Buffalos offense last year was not that bad and statistically they were middle of the road. ... With that being said. I would like to predict that Buffalo picks Luke Kuechly at #10 when they pick.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of further bolstering the defense - and I like Kuechly, too, I can't agree that the Bills' offense wasn't that bad last year. They had a pretty hot start, but if I remember correctly, that was fueled by a lot of turnovers provided by the defense in the first several games. Once those turnovers dried up and Eric Wood and Demetrius Bell got hurt, the offense was awful. There was no time at all for Fitzpatrick to throw anything but a very short pass. In my opinion, by far the number one need on this team is to find a viable starting LT (I don't believe that Hairston was"not that bad and will be so much better this year". That being said, I don't know that any of the available OTs are really good enough to play LT at a good level in the NFL. If not, then I support the idea of continuing to build the defense.

I suspect that you're going to be somewhat disappointed with this draft. The Bills have already invested heavily in the defensive side in free agency and they've drafted fairly heavily on that side the last two years as well...including 7 of 9 picks last year. Only four of their seven picks on offense the last two years remain on the team, and the 2nd highest pick of the group that remains (a 4th rounder, I might add) has barely even managed to practice, let alone play. And for all the talk of an improved Bills offense, they've fallen off a cliff in the 2nd half of the season the last two years.

Combined with their struggles in the second half of the season the last two years, I would expect a much more balanced draft this year. Its time to add some quality talent on that side as well.

Edited by Brandon

I think most would say yes, he is a talented safety. His conversion from WR makes that even more impressive. He plays with more awareness than Whitner ever did and blows far fewer plays, even though Whitner probably possesses more of this "true talent" you speak of. Buffalo also just drafted a young talented SS in Searcy, in case you forgot.

Is Searcy talented? Did he contribute at all last year? I know he was a rookie. I know he could not be out a former undrafted wide receiver to get on the field.

He did say that, and he has faith in "Martin" Anderson, whoever that is. Pretty easy to disregard his whole screed based on those two gems alone.

The reason, OP, that many are talking about a left tackle is because we just lost our starting LT in free agency. The reason people are discussing a WR at 10 is because we only have one proven player at that position. Both valid reasons. I hope that clears it up.

And while the defense was a big problem last year, Buffalo made two huge free agent additions to try to ameliorate that. Kuechly would be a good pick, for sure. But don't completely dismiss and ignore the pressing needs on the other side of the ball just to support your preference.

Isn't that what you just did

I agree with you on Kuechly and I believe it could come down to him or a WR like Michael Floyd... Considering Nix seems to take BPA and the fact that like Peanuts said, Nix does draft SEC and ACC, its hard to know what he'll do.

As far as offensive line, that is certainly a need too.. This article makes a lot of sense, however, on the track record and philosophy Nix takes toward OL.

link

Buddy Nix is not a fan of drafting offensive linemen high in the draft. The highest drafted tackle that Buddy Nix influenced would have been Marcus McNeill (who very well could get a look from Buffalo). McNeill was drafted with the 50th pick in the 2nd round of the 2006 draft. Buddy Nix believes that playmakers and impact players (pass rushers, shut down corners, ect.) are drafted high in the first round. He has stated this many times. He is a guy that believes in acquiring talent through the draft and then keeping your own talent after they produce. He has even said that if you draft tackles you can always move them to guard. That doesn’t sound to me like a guy that places a high priority on left tackle folks. That sounds like a guy that knows that the offensive line is a grouping of positions that are predominantly deep throughout the draft and through undrafted free agency. Just like he found Kris Dielman who went undrafted, or Nick Hardwick who was not drafted till the 66th pick in the 3rd round of the 2006 draft. Both by the way have had pretty nice careers. Nix is the type of guy that knows that the elite talents are the guys that are extremely expensive and hard to get in free agency. He knows the way to get those type of guys is by drafting them and getting them on rookie contracts. You know, kind of like he did with Drew Brees, LT, Shawne Merriman, Antoine Cason, and Quinten Jammer to name a few. This is how you build a winning football team. By allowing your team to continue to stock pile talent without giving 100 million contracts out every off season.

As far as more defensive help, that's all well and good and I think Kuechly could be one of the best picks. But Nix has put an emphasis on defense in the last 2 drafts, particularly last year with 7 out of 9 picks. To me, there should be more balance this year going to both sides. There's no doubt that the offense needs more talent for the passing game and pass protection.

I agree with you on Kuechly and I believe it could come down to him or a WR like Michael Floyd... Considering Nix seems to take BPA and the fact that like Peanuts said, Nix does draft SEC and ACC, its hard to know what he'll do.

As far as offensive line, that is certainly a need too.. This article makes a lot of sense, however, on the track record and philosophy Nix takes toward OL.

link

As far as more defensive help, that's all well and good and I think Kuechly could be one of the best picks. But Nix has put an emphasis on defense in the last 2 drafts, particularly last year with 7 out of 9 picks. To me, there should be more balance this year going to both sides. There's no doubt that the offense needs more talent for the passing game and pass protection.

Since defense wins champoionships I would also favor first 3 or 4 oicks focused strongly on dfeense.

Actually, no they weren't. The Packers were historically bad (against the pass--ther worst in NFL history), followed closely by the pats and the Saints. Didn't matter because all 3 could score tons of points.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of further bolstering the defense - and I like Kuechly, too, I can't agree that the Bills' offense wasn't that bad last year. They had a pretty hot start, but if I remember correctly, that was fueled by a lot of turnovers provided by the defense in the first several games. Once those turnovers dried up and Eric Wood and Demetrius Bell got hurt, the offense was awful. There was no time at all for Fitzpatrick to throw anything but a very short pass. In my opinion, by far the number one need on this team is to find a viable starting LT (I don't believe that Hairston was"not that bad and will be so much better this year". That being said, I don't know that any of the available OTs are really good enough to play LT at a good level in the NFL. If not, then I support the idea of continuing to build the defense.

Fitz's yards passing per game was essentially the same in the first 8 games as it was the last 8 games (233 v. 229). He averaged 6 more passes per game in the last 8 games. This was somewhat due to playing from behind, but also to the OC's sometimes baffling abandonment of the running game.

Actually, no they weren't. The Packers were historically bad (against the pass--ther worst in NFL history), followed closely by the pats and the Saints. Didn't matter because all 3 could score tons of points.

Just to add to your point here, the Giants won the Super Bowl with a defense that allowed more yards during the regular season than the Bills did. They weren't that far behind in points allowed, either, at 400 vs 434 for the Bills.

The only player I'd consider on defense is Kuechly, assuming Wanny thinks he's the real deal. They need LB depth (Kuechly would start and Morrison would backup). Other than that, it's offense early and often.

discredited until further notice...

injuries decimated our OL and how many more injuries can Woods take and stil rebound...We already have a below average WR corps so WR is very very important

we've massively upgraded our DL.. We do need LB's but I wouldn't touch any of them at #10, and we need CB's.. Might be good value on CB's at #10

Fitz's yards passing per game was essentially the same in the first 8 games as it was the last 8 games (233 v. 229). He averaged 6 more passes per game in the last 8 games. This was somewhat due to playing from behind, but also to the OC's sometimes baffling abandonment of the running game.

Are you trying to confuse the rant? Next thing we know you'll be posting about how the rules keep being changed to favor the offense as evidenced by increased total scoring over time. B-)