Buddy Nix knows talent

Saw this article on NFL.com

I know its a bit early to judge a draft class but this gave me hope

Upon Further Review

Knocked it out of the park: Buffalo Bills. It won't be long before the Bills re-emerge as serious players in the AFC if they keep acquiring productive players through the draft. The team nailed it with the selections of Marcell Dareus, Aaron Williams and Kelvin Shepard during the first three rounds, and also discovered key contributors in Chris Hairston, Da'Norris Searcy and Johnny White. Buddy Nix and Co. need to add another solid class to the roster in 2012 to build upon the momentum, but the Bills appear to have a solid foundation in place with last year's haul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82849bc9/article/julio-jones-stays-in-top-10-changes-teams-in-2011-draft-redo?module=HP11_hot_topics

Upon Further Review

Knocked it out of the park: Buffalo Bills. It won't be long before the Bills re-emerge as serious players in the AFC if they keep acquiring productive players through the draft. The team nailed it with the selections of Marcell Dareus, Aaron Williams and Kelvin Shepard during the first three rounds, and also discovered key contributors in Chris Hairston, Da'Norris Searcy and Johnny White. Buddy Nix and Co. need to add another solid class to the roster in 2012 to build upon the momentum, but the Bills appear to have a solid foundation in place with last year's haul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82849bc9/article/julio-jones-stays-in-top-10-changes-teams-in-2011-draft-redo?module=HP11_hot_topics

It's a stretch to call Johnny White a "key contributor" last year.

The real egregious error in the article was saying that in retrospect, the Bills should have chosen Patrick Peterson instead of Marcel Dareus.

Yeah that confused the heck out of me too. I was under the impression Peterson was a great returner last year but pretty horrible in coverage.

Edited by BillsGuyBackInMalta

I thought that too but none the less, nice to get a little recognition

No disagreement, but it made me wonder why he was lumped in with the others. I don't remember anything that stood out about him. I actually thought he was a good pick after the draft, but he didn't do much as an RB. Still time for him to pan out though.

Upon Further Review

Im not so sure about the 'key contributer Johnny White' He could be off the roster this year. But that Justin Rodgers was a REAL find. I have high expectations from him.

Justin Rogers looks like a great punt returner too, in addition to being decent against smaller receivers in coverage.

Yep, I'd say he should have been on the list over J. White; in fact, I'd even say C. White had a bigger impact.

Def a great draft.

I really don't think we can contribute the 2010 draft all to Nix. He was working with the previous administration's scouting of the previous season and the way they had the board set up. I think this upcoming draft will really demonstrate what he is doing. At least that is my hope. And, I have to say, with a full season to prepare and a real offseason I like what Nix has done in free agency between the players selected, signed and resigned. A couple years back I told my buddy I would not go to another Bills game until Jauron was fired after going to the Bills-Saints game in 09. The Bills made the Saints boring and still lost. Early in the 2011 season I told my buddy that I would go in on his seasons he had. Then after the season I told him I might go back on it if the Bills did not actually do a good faith effort to resign Stevie Johnson. They not only did that, but got Mario Williams. At the very least, Nix is bringing back my Bills hope, which had been shattered by Dick Jauron. I know they haven't won anything yet, but I can at least believe that they will be more entertaining. And really, after tailgaiting all morning, I think we all need that on game day.

Upon Further Review

http://www.nfl.com/n...HP11_hot_topics

But he (former Bill Bucky Brooks) also wrote earlier in the same piece:

The real egregious error in the article was saying that in retrospect, the Bills should have chosen Patrick Peterson instead of Marcel Dareus.

"Dareus has been impressive as a disruptor in the middle of the Bills' defense, but it is hard to ignore the sensational playmaking skills of Peterson. He played well on the island as a rookie and displayed exceptional ability as a punt returner. He earned a Pro Bowl bid with three punt return touchdowns and provided his team with several game-changing plays. In a tough AFC East where points are valued at a premium, the addition of Peterson would've helped them gain a little ground on their division rivals."

Yep, I'd say he should have been on the list over J. White; in fact, I'd even say C. White had a bigger impact.

Def a great draft.

And in fact the Bills are very high on Chris White. And he was awesome as a wedge buster (I know, I know) on kick coverage last year. I hope his career isn't wasted on special teams like the Bills did with Mario Haggan and some other players.

I really don't think we can contribute the 2010 draft all to Nix. He was working with the previous administration's scouting of the previous season and the way they had the board set up. I think this upcoming draft will really demonstrate what he is doing. At least that is my hope. And, I have to say, with a full season to prepare and a real offseason I like what Nix has done in free agency between the players selected, signed and resigned. A couple years back I told my buddy I would not go to another Bills game until Jauron was fired after going to the Bills-Saints game in 09. The Bills made the Saints boring and still lost. Early in the 2011 season I told my buddy that I would go in on his seasons he had. Then after the season I told him I might go back on it if the Bills did not actually do a good faith effort to resign Stevie Johnson. They not only did that, but got Mario Williams. At the very least, Nix is bringing back my Bills hope, which had been shattered by Dick Jauron. I know they haven't won anything yet, but I can at least believe that they will be more entertaining. And really, after tailgaiting all morning, I think we all need that on game day.

I would agree

Buddy made all of the really good picks - just like Dick Jauron made all of the really bad picks and totally ignored Buddy's stellar advice on Maybin.

even the ones that look bad now that are blamed on Modrak, Buddy gets credit if they those players turn it around.

maybe it was aliens, or Dick with mind altering abilities

now if only the Bills will coat their war room in tin foil again this year to keep out htose pesky aliens, then we can expect another strong draft

man- I don;t know what those aliens were thinking in convincing Buddy that Mabin was a real talent