Fans have to start taking Nix at his word

Estro

Look, so far Nix has blown very little smoke the last 2 years when it's come to discussing the Bills draft plans. Until that changes I'm going to take what Nix says in these candid interviews as his "true" feelings/thoughts. And the most candid of those interviews came early last week when he was interviewed by Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on Sirius NFL Radio. Buddy was actually so transparent in the interview that Kirwan had to say "Alright Buddy don't tell us the actual names of the guys you're talking about" while Buddy was discussing the OT talent in the draft pool.

So let's take a look at what Buddy Nix said, because to me it told a lot.

Buddy's Quote

"We think there are 2 "maybe" 3 tackles in this draft that can come in and play right away"

Translation

There is definitely 2, possibly 3 OT's in this years draft that have the talent to be the #10 pick.

Buddy's Quote

"We also think there are some OT's that can be had later that can probably be starters a year or 2 down the line.

Translation

There are some guys we have our eyes on a little later in the draft.(Andrew Datko, from FSU perhaps)

Buddy's Quote

"We view some of the these offensive lineman different than the rest of you guys do"

Translation

We think Cordy Glenn is a starting LT in the NFL, not just a G as some of the draft pundits have stated.

We don't think Reiff is a starting LT in this league. With his short arms and lack of athleticism and speed he's a RT.

My gut feeling is this:

The 2 Tackles that Buddy thinks can start Day 1 are: Matt Kalil and Cordy Glenn, who probably stack #1 and #2 on the Bills board.

The "maybe" 3rd tackle would probably be: Either Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin (again I just don't think Reiff is a LT, and he doesn't fit the big mauler athletic type that Buddy covets). Martin or Adams would probably be a target if we were to trade down a bit. In the end I think we stand pat at #10 and select Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia.

The Bills develop Glenn as a LT and he and Hairston battle it out in camp. If Hairston wins the job we at worst have a dominant G, who's ready to play T if needed. With the contracts of LeVitre, Urbik and Rhinehart all expiring after the 2012 season having a T who can also play G is a huge plus. Obviously the Bills will work hard to resign 2 of the above 3 G's prior to next years FA, but adding Glenn to the mix will be a big plus for our OL situation. I also believe the Bills will pick up another OT in the draft with one of our additonal 4th or 5th round picks. Glenn will be groomed as our future LT, with great potential at G if Hairston holds it down, and the T picked up in the middle rounds will be groomed as a swing backup tackle, with starter potential at RT down the line.

For anyone who argues that DeCastro should be the pick at #10.......just remember what Buddy is on record as saying:

Buddy's Quote:

"Our philosophy is to draft T's. It's a lot easier for guys to move outside in, than vice versa. We think if we draft T's that we'll be pretty good at G and C."

Translation:

As an organization our philosphy is to target T prospects in the draft. If they don't work out there, they have a good shot at success at either G or C. We won't select G or C prospects with high picks, because if they don't pan out at the only position they can play than they're out of the league. G's, C's are not drafted with high picks in the draft.

Edited by Estro

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree, good post! :thumbsup:

People really need to study up on Cordy Glenn, the man is an absolute monster who fits our philosophy perfectly. I'm actually fine with taking him at #10 overall, he's an instant starter and we can still land good WRs, CBs and LBs throughout the next three rounds.

The only thing I'd mention is the second tackle may be 6th or later. I don't know if you have the room on the roster for him so he may need to be on the practice squad. A fourth showing promise may get poached, especially later in the season. I'd rather use those higher draft slots for depth/competition elsewhere on the roster (esp the 4th's) and use rounds 6, 7 and udfa to pick someone up to develop at OT. We've been able to do that pretty successfully over the last few years, we should try it again.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

honestly, the only thing i dislike about that is decastro. tackles do have a higher flop rate and you can push them inside if they do flop as opposed to an underperforming guard with no where else to turn. great. but decastro isnt just a good guard prospect, he's the best guard prospect to come along since hutchinson. so the whole post is moot. decastro talent level = multiple year all pro. cordy glenn talent level = hopfully above avg left tackle starter. doesn't make sense to me even with the 'we like to draft tackles'. last time i checked ed wang sucks at tackle and didnt even get moved inside to guard before they cut him, so...

I agree with your overall point: that Buffalo will draft a tackle early (if not at No. 10 overall).

I do, however, have some doubts about Glenn at LT. From the 3-4 games I saw this year, he looked really good in the run game, and mostly solid in pass protection, but I did notice that he struggled with speed rushes, and also that he let opposing DE's get their hands inside his body all to often for a guy with such long arms. Maybe some of that is inexperience that can be coached up, but maybe not.

I also think that he'd need to drop 15-20 lbs to be effective with NFL speed rushers, especially the Cameron Wake type guys he'd be facing twice each year.

That said, if Nix thinks he's the guy, I trust him.

Excited for the draft though.

. last time i checked ed wang sucks at tackle and didnt even get moved inside to guard before they cut him, so...

I don't see how Wang relates at all to this. Wang was a total bust like some players in this draft will be. Wang is a more appropriate topic in a Talleywhacker thread.

honestly, the only thing i dislike about that is decastro. tackles do have a higher flop rate and you can push them inside if they do flop as opposed to an underperforming guard with no where else to turn. great. but decastro isnt just a good guard prospect, he's the best guard prospect to come along since hutchinson. so the whole post is moot. decastro talent level = multiple year all pro. cordy glenn talent level = hopfully above avg left tackle starter. doesn't make sense to me even with the 'we like to draft tackles'. last time i checked ed wang sucks at tackle and didnt even get moved inside to guard before they cut him, so...

He played guard for 2 games last pre-season.

With DiCastro the interior line will be set for years. DiCastro's value would be huge to the run game, and pass blocking. With a healthy Wood and Levitre it would be awesome watching them dominate. Plus great depth with urbick.

I didn't know everyone was so on Glenn, that being said good post. I still want Floyd decastro kuechly though, Glenn is a reach at 10

Well, I guess somebody had to say it.