Is Belichick Countering?

TPS

So he is changing their offense based on the chance that they might face the Giants in the Super Bowl this year?

Maybe not explicitly the giants but like any team that comes up short they have be asking themselves what do they need to get over the hurdle. Glaring problems are an immobile QB and lack of deep threat. I think their off season moves are perfectly reflective of trying to improve on those weaknesses.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Completely disagree. If Bellyache knows anything, he knows you've got to win your division first, and he'd be a fool (which he is not) to ignore what divisional opponents are doing.

I'm not necessarily saying he's ignoring us. I just don't think we're the focus of any changes. They've had problems with teams like the Giants and the Jets in the playoffs/superbowl, and I have a feeling they are adjusting more to that than they are to the 4-12/6-10 Bills.

I'm not necessarily saying he's ignoring us. I just don't think we're the focus of any changes. They've had problems with teams like the Giants and the Jets in the playoffs/superbowl, and I have a feeling they are adjusting more to that than they are to the 4-12/6-10 Bills.

Belichick hates losing to Buffalo. You saw it last year when the Bills beat him at home. He went Ape Sh*t on the side lines at the end. I do not know why, maybe because of the Lawyer Malloy move?

I agree he isn't just countering the Bills, but i do think Belichick is very smart. He knows the league thinks how you stop the Pats is to follow the Giants approach. So he is taking steps to counter it. But unless he can give Brady a shot of courage, its useless.

Brady is a tremendous talent, but he can be rattled. He is not Brett Favre. Brett loved it when you hit him, it would fire him up more. Brady sulks and yells at his line. This is why i do not like Brady. It is football, even Qb's should be tough.

Maybe not explicitly the giants but like any team that comes up short they have be asking themselves what do they need to get over the hurdle. Glaring problems are an immobile QB and lack of deep threat. I think their off season moves are perfectly reflective of trying to improve on those weaknesses.

The thing is, they didn't add a deep threat. Unless you want to count AnthIRny Gonzalez as a "deep threat."

Saw the Pats picked up two veteran fullbacks a couple weeks ago. Is Belichick going to develop a power option as a counter to teams like the Bills moving to a "Giants-type" defense? They could do some interesting things with a power backfield combined with their two versatile TEs. Should be some good Chess matches this season.

Let's hope the Bills defense is better than the Giants was last year. Decent amount of sacks but overall not so great against the pass.

Belichick hates losing to Buffalo. You saw it last year when the Bills beat him at home. He went Ape Sh*t on the side lines at the end. I do not know why, maybe because of the Lawyer Malloy move?

I agree he isn't just countering the Bills, but i do think Belichick is very smart. He knows the league thinks how you stop the Pats is to follow the Giants approach. So he is taking steps to counter it. But unless he can give Brady a shot of courage, its useless.

Brady is a tremendous talent, but he can be rattled. He is not Brett Favre. Brett loved it when you hit him, it would fire him up more. Brady sulks and yells at his line. This is why i do not like Brady. It is football, even Qb's should be tough.

Belichick hates losing to Buffalo because he knows his team should beat Buffalo.. I'm sure he would be just as mad if the Patriots lost to the Browns or the Jaguars.

I think so too. Thanks

He is the best and most successful coach in the last 50 years and any Bills fan who would not have wanted him steering the Bills is slower than the Wonderlic fellow currently being discussed in another thread.

Also wish we had that guy that some refer to as Marcia in an attempt to paont him as soft or gay or whatever it is they are shooting for.

Saw the Pats picked up two veteran fullbacks a couple weeks ago. Is Belichick going to develop a power option as a counter to teams like the Bills moving to a "Giants-type" defense? They could do some interesting things with a power backfield combined with their two versatile TEs. Should be some good Chess matches this season.

I started a thread a few weeks back about this same subject, and at that time the Patriots didn't have one FB on their roster.

In my thread I stated its like Belichick totally forgot what helped win those 3 SB's. In 2001-2003 it was the I formation, ex Bills RB Antowain Smith along with 3rd down back Kevin Faulk plus a top defense. Then in 2004 it was Clock killin RB Corey Dill\on, FB Larry Centers plus a top defense. Of course Tom Brady was there the entire time but that SB winning Patriot offense ran the ball way more often back then.

The Bills finally fixed the pass rush that has been a major problem with this team since 2009. But it isn't 100% clear if bringing in Williams & Anderson will fix that historically bad defense against the run since even before this team hired Dick Jauron and his crappy Tampa two. Which BTW is notoriously bad against the run unless you have that proverbial superstar LB.

So yea, I expect the Patriots to try and run more on the Bills this season and take pressure off their QB. The Bills improved their pass rush no question, its the run defense that is worrisome.

I started a thread a few weeks back about this same subject, and at that time the Patriots didn't have one FB on their roster.

In my thread I stated its like Belichick totally forgot what helped win those 3 SB's. In 2001-2003 it was the I formation, ex Bills RB Antowain Smith along with 3rd down back Kevin Faulk plus a top defense. Then in 2004 it was Clock killin RB Corey Dill\on, FB Larry Centers plus a top defense. Of course Tom Brady was there the entire time but that SB winning Patriot offense ran the ball way more often back then.

The Bills finally fixed the pass rush that has been a major problem with this team since 2009. But it isn't 100% clear if bringing in Williams & Anderson will fix that historically bad defense against the run since even before this team hired Dick Jauron and his crappy Tampa two. Which BTW is notoriously bad against the run unless you have that proverbial superstar LB.

So yea, I expect the Patriots to try and run more on the Bills this season and take pressure off their QB. The Bills improved their pass rush no question, its the run defense that is worrisome.

The top defense enabled them to ground and pound while Brady (in a very Andrew Luck way) benefited from D's scheming run-first.

But, make no mistake, that "top defense" was an indispensable element of that equation, and something they're a far-cry from these days...

Our 3 big names in the front 4 - Williams, Williams and dareus - can all play pass and run. I think barnet will continue to carry his own weight, shepherd and oft injured merriman I don't know. But with a better front 7 I think our secondary as a unit will be quite capable in run support.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The Pats would be foolish not to adjust. They've lost two Superbowls to the Giants now, they need to continue to adjust. I doubt they are adjusting to us, we're a 6-10 team and not much of a threat until we prove otherwise.

Yep and the Bills are getting Smart and playing 4-3 D just like the Giants do. And now we got the talent on the line to line up and kick Patriot @$$

Well said. You forgot he likes pointing to refs for flags WAY too often. Never before have I seen anything so consistent. Rattle Brady hes never the same. Our pass rush will be a concern for any team, at least I hope. Screens and quick throws, HB tosses are good ways to beat the blitz. Maybe the back field signings are a clue on how to counter defenses like the Giants, 49ers, etc.

Well said. You forgot he likes pointing to refs for flags WAY too often. Never before have I seen anything so consistent. Rattle Brady hes never the same. Our pass rush will be a concern for any team, at least I hope. Screens and quick throws, HB tosses are good ways to beat the blitz. Maybe the back field signings are a clue on how to counter defenses like the Giants, 49ers, etc.

This is why we need Ingram or a LB with our first pick. We need more depth, and more depth at LB for sure. Imagine getting a stud LB to compliment this D-line.

Also, I think the Pat's signed the oft-injured, but very good, Robert Gallery?

Yeah, but think about it...this plays directly into the Bills hands.

Fullbacks are hardly dynamic playmakers who gain thousands of yards rushing per season. Bringing in FB's to help block is taking players from other positions (namely WR's) out of the game. This would make them not only incredibly slow and methodical, it would increase the possibility of turnovers and sacks.